Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

T-man posted:

Maybe it wasn't a 100% transfer? What happens when you give fire two sticks to burn? You get two fires, that are smaller next to one another and larger apart. Her fire-ness split apart and grew independently onto two people, maybe Zimmie, so now they're both fire elementals with all that entails. Two Annies for the psychopomps, a massive loss for Gamma, and proof that Surma is Gone for Tony.

That would definitely be an interesting way to make Zimmy relevant to the plot again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I don't think Loup would keep a fake Annie in the forest to talk to so I'm betting, for now, that forest Annie is real, that doesn't mean they can't both be real via time shenanigans though.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Why not both?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tired: who's secretly Coyote
Wired: who's secretly Annie

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the real real Annie is eternally trapped as a consciousness inside Boxbot

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

T-man posted:

Maybe it wasn't a 100% transfer? What happens when you give fire two sticks to burn? You get two fires, that are smaller next to one another and larger apart. Her fire-ness split apart and grew independently onto two people, maybe Zimmie, so now they're both fire elementals with all that entails. Two Annies for the psychopomps, a massive loss for Gamma, and proof that Surma is Gone for Tony.

I don't see how one of them could be Zimmy unless she snuck into the forest at the same time as Annie or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if they both end up being 'real', though, since we've seen they both have a fire element side. Just handle it like Latchkey did and give Annie a new sibling.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

T-man posted:

that would be a more sensical way for her whole deal to work, yeah. It's not really the most archetypical "there can be only one" substance.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

T-man posted:

This sounds like a good Idea but why would it work this way now and not between mother and daughter.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Demiurge4 posted:

Coyote was always most interested in Annie's fire elemental part and immediately after she heard the booms in the sky, she walked up to a statue that looks a lot like those things they used to transfer souls from the forest into the human bodies the court grows.

I think Loup separated the fire elemental part of Annie and sent her regular human self back to the court, sans soul.

The safe bet is that Loup has no idea how he did this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Based on no information whatsoever, I'm gonna guess they're both real.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I'm sure if we gave it the barest second of effort we could predict exactly what's going on here! Hahahahaha!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I'm pretty sure any way that would "merge" the two together would effectively kill both and create a new annie! Or kill none of them because consciousness and the continuity of the self are illusions! Teleportation/Hume derail!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
I'm going to guess that thematically, we're looking at the Forest and Court aspect of Annie's identity, just... very literally.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As God as my witness, she is broken in half!

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Hodgepodge posted:

The safe bet is that Loup has no idea how he did this.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Synthbuttrange posted:

As God as my witness, she is broken in half!

:bahgawd: you forgot this

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

hahaha

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm pretty sure any way that would "merge" the two together would effectively kill both and create a new annie! Or kill none of them because consciousness and the continuity of the self are illusions! Teleportation/Hume derail!

Case Study: Loup

Merging the two Annies is a bad idea.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Hahaha.... yes, YES.

Warmachine posted:

Solve et coagula.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Warmachine posted:

What if just a temporary fusion like in Dragonball Z? The two Annie's touch the tips of their fingers together and while they're combined they get TWICE as awkward as they were before!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
no you see, one of the annies has to eat the other

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

dragon enthusiast posted:

no you see, one of the annies has to eat the other

Ghoulnerkrigg Court is the other way, my friend.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Fake? I think you're the fake one around here...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Which one got the recessive genes?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Splicer posted:

Which one got the recessive genes?

It's hard to tell, they both have British accents.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Come on Anni, that's not what your father taught you. Now be nice to Anni.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If the theory pans out that the gifts Coyote gave Smitty and Parley had something to do with the memory of his tooth, then I guess real Annie just needs to see if fake Annie knows about it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WOW RUDE

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao well we know forest annie is real

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Tollymain posted:

That's exactly what a fake Annie would say!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

karmicknight posted:

It's hard to tell, they both have British accents.
MGS reference or sick burn on the UK? You decide!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Annie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Darth TNT posted:

Come on Annie, that's not what your father taught you. Now be nice to Annie.

Actually I would say forest Annie is behaving EXACTLY as her father taught her: She abandoned her friends and family for a long period and then randomly showed back up and started acting like a jerk.

Tollymain posted:

Yeah, short haired Annie is too polite and good at social situations to be real, but I still think they should keep her around.

Double Annies! Wooooooo!

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Double Annies! yay

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, I was already operating under the theory that neither Annie was "fake", they were fully equal copies/halves. As of this page I'm 100% convinced of that fact, and willing to be the overconfident rear end in a top hat the rest of you can laugh at if I'm wrong.

My "understanding" is that they're equal duplicates, both 100% real and "original", but the fire spirit can't exist in two places at once for very long and will choose one of them to flow back into, based on something arbitrary like which one experienced the most time or which one feels the most rage, and the other one will slowly die (like Surma and etc) unless our protagonists do something.

I mean, take my take with a grain of salt, because I'm the type to have long arguments about the whole star trek teleporter thing (where I insist that any clone who has my memories and personality has an equal claim to my selfhood, and only becomes a slightly separate person after forming new memories, but only in the same way that I'm a slightly different person than I was a week ago).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
No reason he didn't duplicate both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Splicer posted:

No reason he didn't duplicate both

Only reason I'm thinking the "fire spirit resisted duplication and is gonna flow back into one person like it does when you have a child" thing is because Annie's metaphor-hair was looking all ragged two pages ago. I'm willing to accept other explanations, but unusual things about her hair in the ether always represent something.