Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Check out Adorama and B&H Photo as well

edit: and microcenter if you live near one

I picked up a 2020 i5 Air from B&H before my kids started virtual school this year and it was $100 off Apple's price and tax free since we don't live in NY. Free 2 day shipping included. Absolutely no reason to buy direct from Apple when B&H is an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WarMECH posted:

I picked up a 2020 i5 Air from B&H before my kids started virtual school this year and it was $100 off Apple's price and tax free since we don't live in NY. Free 2 day shipping included. Absolutely no reason to buy direct from Apple when B&H is an option.

B&H had to pay $3.2 million in 2017 to settle a lawsuit filed by the US Dept of Labor alleging that they only hired Hispanic immigrant men for entry level jobs so that they could pay them “significantly less than comparable workers” and harass them. Also they apparently had racially segregated bathrooms.

US Dept of Labor posted:

NEW YORK, NY – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs has entered into a consent decree with B&H Foto & Electronics Corp. to resolve allegations of systemic hiring, compensation, and promotion discrimination, as well as harassment, at the company’s Brooklyn Navy Yard warehouse.

The decree settles allegations that B&H Foto discriminated against female as well as black and Asian job seekers by hiring only Hispanic men for entry-level positions. In addition, there were allegations that Hispanic shipping workers were paid significantly less than comparable workers and denied promotion to higher level positions. There were also allegations that Hispanic workers were routinely subjected to harassing conduct and had unequal access to restroom facilities, and the company failed to take corrective action when confronted with employee complaints.

“Federal contractors who benefit from taxpayers’ dollars are required to treat their employees fairly, or risk losing their government contracts,” said Regional Solicitor of Labor Jeffrey S. Rogoff. “We are pleased that B&H Foto entered into this agreement, and has committed to ensuring that their workers will receive equitable wages and opportunities, and enjoy a workplace that promotes equal employment opportunity.”

Under the terms of the decree, the Manhattan photo, video, audio, and digital imaging retailer has agreed to pay $3,220,000 in back wages and other monetary relief to more than 1,300 affected class members. B&H also agreed to hire a workplace consultant to help correct its employment practices and workplace conduct at its Brooklyn Navy Yard warehouse, as well as its future warehouse in Florence, New Jersey. The company also agreed to provide its managers with annual training on equal opportunity principles and prevention of workplace harassment.

As a federal contractor, B&H Foto is prohibited by Executive Order 11246 from discriminating in employment on the basis of race, color, sex, or national origin.

The matter was investigated by the Northeast Regional Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs. Attorneys Sudwiti Chanda, Allison Bowles, Dustin Saldarriaga, and Summer Silversmith of the Department’s New York Regional Solicitor’s Office litigated and negotiated the resolution of the case.

In addition to the Executive Order, OFCCP enforces Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974. These laws, as amended, make it illegal for contractors and subcontractors doing business with the federal government to discriminate in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran. In addition, contractors, and subcontractors are prohibited from discriminating against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed or disclosed their compensation or that of others, subject to certain limitations.

https://www.dol.gov/newsroom/releases/ofccp/ofccp20170814

Absolutely no reason to buy from B&H when Adorama or even Costco are options.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Adorama rules. I've had nothing but good experiences with them for all sorts of different gear.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Vistek is the Canadian equivalent but they don't really sell many computers

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

64bit_Dophins posted:

I have already made up my mind I'm just gonna pull the trigger. I really need a computer lmao.

I just listed a nice 2015 in SA-Mart if you don't want to spend $2000

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple has EDU pricing and 0% financing if you use their card
Best Buy has rotating sales (my 2020 MBP was $200 off for instance) and has 0% financing or 5% back with their store card
Costco has $50-$100 off all the time, rotating sales, 90 day return policy and has 2 year warranty standard, 4 year warranty if you use their Costco Citi card (2%/4% back as well but no financing options)
B&H has no tax if you live local or pay with their Payboo store card.
Microcenter has rotating sales that are pretty good, don't know what their financing options are.
Adorama has good sale too.

Walking into an Apple store is usually your worst option these days

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Also if your company uses ADP, check your benefits/coupons section. We get a few percent off through my company if you click the link from the ADP portal to Apple.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Ok Comboomer posted:

B&H had to pay $3.2 million in 2017 to settle a lawsuit filed by the US Dept of Labor alleging that they only hired Hispanic immigrant men for entry level jobs so that they could pay them “significantly less than comparable workers” and harass them. Also they apparently had racially segregated bathrooms.

https://www.dol.gov/newsroom/releases/ofccp/ofccp20170814

Absolutely no reason to buy from B&H when Adorama or even Costco are options.
B&H is a shithole

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I stopped using B&H when they started charging sales tax. Good to know I can pretend to have stopped for moral reasons now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BHPhoto used to sell Applecare really cheap. Like $240 for the 15" MBP when it normally went for $350. I wonder if they had some shady thing going on with that.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

BHPhoto used to sell Applecare really cheap. Like $240 for the 15" MBP when it normally went for $350. I wonder if they had some shady thing going on with that.

B&H is shady for sure and should be avoided if at all possible, but that aspect was just them selling Applecare closer to cost. The margins for most resellers on Apple's computers is very very low, but Applecare margins for retailers are pretty generous, which is Apple's way of encouraging stores to actually try to sell Applecare since it's the only part of the transaction the retailer will make money on apart from non-Apple accessories. And since B&H is primarily in the business of selling cameras and camera equipment, cheap Apple computers are just a way for them to get you in the door so you buy your next camera from them.

Spoderman fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 30, 2020

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This will probably be useful for Intel Macs down the line:

https://twitter.com/jamiebishop123/status/1308355178307948545

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I like how everyone is down on B&H because of allegations of questionable working conditions while discussing the purchase of Apple devices which have been proven to be made with child labor.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I’m confused because I thought America defeated racism in 2008.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WarMECH posted:

I like how everyone is down on B&H because of allegations of questionable working conditions while discussing the purchase of Apple devices which have been proven to be made with child labor.

might as well not make any efforts with what limited leverage we have then, huh?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol at turning "allegations of systemic hiring, compensation, and promotion discrimination, as well as harassment, at the company’s Brooklyn Navy Yard warehouse" into "allegations of questionable working conditions."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

WarMECH posted:

which you bought from said company huh. This post doesn’t make you look nearly as good as you think.

Guess buying a product made by children from a retailer with enough of a history of racially discriminatory practices to get the feds to go after them makes you twice as much of a turd as any of us.

Weird how they decided to pay $3 million in unpaid compensation to make the DOL go away and then told everybody that it was “absolutely not an admission of guilt”

Love paying millions of dollars to my former employees to show that I’m innocent and didn’t stiff them when I’ve also got a legal team whose job it would be to litigate such a claim. You think going to trial with a slam-dunk case would’ve been that much more expensive? Or is it that they knew they wouldn’t win and that the feds would probably find more poo poo to hit them with if they got to do discovery and investigation?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 1, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I think B&H is poo poo but uh the little bit of irony is I just got a letter last week about the 3rd class action I’ve been part of during the 3 years I worked for Apple retail. So uh Apple not the hottest with labor either (even though with all the lawsuits it was still by far the best retail I’ve ever worked and still had the best benefits I’ve ever had)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

I think B&H is poo poo but uh the little bit of irony is I just got a letter last week about the 3rd class action I’ve been part of during the 3 years I worked for Apple retail. So uh Apple not the hottest with labor either (even though with all the lawsuits it was still by far the best retail I’ve ever worked and still had the best benefits I’ve ever had)

Did Apple make you use segregated bathrooms?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

Did Apple make you use segregated bathrooms?

Not even close to B&H shitlordory! Also the union crushing and rampant safety violations in the warehouse!

This last one was for unpaid bag checks.

Not remotely on the same level but in a similar vein, that does remind me the culture at the company towards contractor grey badge employees, even retail people thought less of them when they walked in the store. Definitely treated like second class employees.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I worked at the Apple Store I got paid $9/hour with zero benefits but they also gave me a 40gig iPod Photo for free the day I finished training so I was content.

I'll always remember that the employee handbook specifically said you were allowed to have one glass of wine with your lunch.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 1, 2020

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ultimately, what company isn’t poo poo?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

I’ve been enjoying your mom’s company

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

tuyop posted:

I’ve been enjoying your mom’s company

And she’s been enjoying yours, let me tell you! :hfive:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
tuyop’s your dad now, SourKraut!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Oh gently caress, it all makes so much sense now!

But I will say thank you to the thread because I was about to order something from BH but gently caress that now. (Does anyone know of anything bad at Adorama? )

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

SourKraut posted:

I work IT for a big pharma company and it owns.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

WarMECH posted:

I like how everyone is down on B&H because of allegations of questionable working conditions while discussing the purchase of practically anything made in the world today, which has been proven to be made with child labor.

There we go

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Ultimately, what company isn't poo poo?

Eh, there are different levels of poo poo for each company. It just depends on how much poo poo the company is as a whole.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Does anyone know of anything bad at Adorama?

Your products are all going to arrive with New Jersey cooties, but B&H also opened a warehouse there so I guess that's a wash.

More seriously, I don't know of any horrible labor violations off-hand, but everything moves slower at Adorama. If you're used to the "gently caress I need this specialized thing tomorrow" style of shopping B&H enables, Adorama will disappoint you.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Brain Issues posted:

Same - it's incredibly cool and good.

Mu Zeta posted:

When I worked at the Apple Store I got paid $9/hour with zero benefits but they also gave me a 40gig iPod Photo for free the day I finished training so I was content.

I'll always remember that the employee handbook specifically said you were allowed to have one glass of wine with your lunch.

That's really interesting. I wonder who made that call. Sounds like something the senior leadership team wanted to include. I wonder how long that has been a company policy.

I am just going to get the Macbook Pro from the Apple Store near me because I already have the Apple Card and it's just easier for me. I know it's not the best option but I really need the computer ASAP.

This would be fine but I have to wait until tomorrow at 3pm for my "appointment" to buy it.

Corona is really getting tiresome at this point. Just let me set my money on fire you assholes!

I am pretty excited though. I remember lusting after the 17in Powerbook G4 when I was in highschool. A rich kid in my class got one for his birthday and I was so jealous.

Since then I've always wanted to get a larger Macbook but I've only ever had 13in money. I think it's a justifiable expense considering each of my Apple laptops has lasted me 6 and 7 years respectively with no problems whatsoever.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The policy evolved to "two drinks" by the time I was working there. Also the discounts and benefits got way the gently caress better too. The 25% once per product per year and the every 3 years $500 off pre tax that was introduced like the last year I was there were pretty loving dope. I also heard they heavily discounted the apple watch when it first came out and on launch instead of the normal couple months delay that would happen for new products. They really wanted everyone in the store wearing them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My buddies dad works in IT and they have a one or two drink allowance in their contract

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

I am pretty excited though. I remember lusting after the 17in Powerbook G4 when I was in highschool. A rich kid in my class got one for his birthday and I was so jealous.

Since then I've always wanted to get a larger Macbook but I've only ever had 13in money. I think it's a justifiable expense considering each of my Apple laptops has lasted me 6 and 7 years respectively with no problems whatsoever.

lol in a year you’ll miss the “portability” and the “proportion aesthetics” of the 13” and in two years you’ll be lustily eyeing a refurb MBA or (rumored) 12” ARM MacBook as an auxiliary/road/couch machine.

Not because you need it or because the 16” is objectively too big or too heavy, mind you.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol in a year you’ll miss the “portability” and the “proportion aesthetics” of the 13” and in two years you’ll be lustily eyeing a refurb MBA or (rumored) 12” ARM MacBook as an auxiliary/road/couch machine.

Not because you need it or because the 16” is objectively too big or too heavy, mind you.
I’m basically at that point now. I have my 15” MBP to essentially act as a portable workstation (that I can run up half a dozen VMs on without breaking a sweat) and then an iPad Pro for when I just need to take something with me for notes/meetings/video conferencing.

It works for me although I’m totally eyeing off the possibility of trading the iPad Pro for a potential 12” arm MacBook if that happens and is decent.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Brain Issues posted:

you lot are incredible assholes to deal with, your security overhead is ridiculous and you outsource poo poo one would think would be...not considering pont #1.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Crunchy Black posted:

you lot are incredible assholes to deal with, your security overhead is ridiculous and you outsource poo poo one would think would be...not considering pont #1.

All of this is true about us.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

tuyop’s your dad now, SourKraut!

Oh god what have I done

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Going to pickup the 16in Pro now.

What’s the go to dongle? I forgot that I’ll still need to order one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

64bit_Dophins posted:

What’s the go to dongle? I forgot that I’ll still need to order one of those.

This one should do