Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

pubic works project posted:

Yeah the latest issue got me excited. "Oooooo Grimlock! Oooooo actual Deceptions!" and then that ending. Thanks Roberts!!! :argh:

At this point, I'm probably going to drop it until they do a soft reboot or something. I'm sick of him killing off everyone.

Personally I'm waiting for a Hard Reboot instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Keldroc posted:

Meanwhile in another TF thread I read, two pages have gone by of excited theorycrafting and discussion of the new issue. Another thread is similar but with added comments about how nice it was to not have Anode around.

I haven't read any recent Lost Light, but so far comparing and contrasting the reactions to the issues is at least as entertaining as reading them would be.

I'd like to know about other boards. These days it's hard to find actual discussion boards worth reading, and blogging platforms like twitter and tumblr don't really give a diversity of opinion or debate that's actually interesting.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah the latest issue got me excited. "Oooooo Grimlock! Oooooo actual Deceptions!" and then that ending. Thanks Roberts!!! :argh:

At this point, I'm probably going to drop it until they do a soft reboot or something. I'm sick of him killing off everyone.

It looks like all of their comics are heading towards an ending, so hopefully we'll get that sooner or later.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I'm waiting for a Hard Reboot instead

well I'd be even more down for that. I just didn't think they'd do something like that with all of the other joined universe stuff going on.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

well I'd be even more down for that. I just didn't think they'd do something like that with all of the other joined universe stuff going on.

Apparently, Kup's been killed off in Visionaries, while Skywarp is in GI Joe and why? Why are they not in an actual Transformers comic?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Apparently, Kup's been killed off in Visionaries, while Skywarp is in GI Joe and why? Why are they not in an actual Transformers comic?

poo poo like this makes me long for the Dreamwave comics...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

They were never good.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

This is extremely frustrating, the kind of problem from large shared continuity works that people read IDW comics to avoid.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Honestly I think that would make it an even better idea, would let them integrate the crossover stuff from the beginning instead of haphazardly jamming it into a universe a decade old already

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

They were never good.

Well I liked them. :shrug:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

This is extremely frustrating, the kind of problem from large shared continuity works that people read IDW comics to avoid.

It should be noted that in Optimus Prime, Optimus actually hosed off for an issue because GI Joe decided to invade Cybertron for "reasons" which is covered in another crossover book and in said crossover, they actually bring back Unicron and this poo poo is making my head hurt

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dropping TF books when they decided they needed a ~comimatic universe~ with other toys was the best decision I've made in comics in awhile.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Well I liked them. :shrug:
I came back to Transformers late and read them when the Roberts run on MTMTE was at it's height with the Tyrest plotline. They did not hold up well.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Till All Are One was pretty good, so of course it was the first to die

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Till All Are One was pretty good, so of course it was the first to die

I don't have the numbers, but I think it was comfortably outselling Lost Light when it was chopped

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea I was happy to read that they atleast got an annual for TAAO but it just bummed me out ultimately. I don't wanna read about failed toylines you're hoping to bring back. I want to read about Transformers and Cybertron. Blahhh

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

The Dreamwave comics were always garbage.

For what it's worth, this is literally the only TF discussion I follow that isn't completely in love with Lost Light. Just about everyone is sick of the forced Hasbro crossover stuff, though. That was a really bad idea executed really badly.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Keldroc posted:

For what it's worth, this is literally the only TF discussion I follow that isn't completely in love with Lost Light. Just about everyone is sick of the forced Hasbro crossover stuff, though. That was a really bad idea executed really badly.

Again, I liked them. But that's just me.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Keldroc posted:

I had to stop posting on one board, because I was the only person out of about two dozen people who would actually say call out the endless fakeouts, resurrections, needless slaughter Roberts regularly trots out as bad writing and would just get shouted down all the time

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I had to stop posting on one board, because I was the only person out of about two dozen people who would actually say call out the endless fakeouts, resurrections, needless slaughter Roberts regularly trots out as bad writing and would just get shouted down all the time

Sounds like a board I'd like to read. :smugspike:

But seriously it's amazing how the Revolution stuff just absolutely killed my motivation to keep up with the IDW books. It was so badly presented, so badly explained in terms of structure and reading order, and not worth it once you figured it all out anyway. The whole thing feels like an intrusion every time it happens. There was probably a good way to do it but IDW sure as hell didn't find it. Messing with their one proven brand in the name of trying to make Visionaries a thing is such a strange, strange decision.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't have the numbers, but I think it was comfortably outselling Lost Light when it was chopped
We don't actually have full, real sales figures for IDW's output. We don't know digital sales and Rhyno can correct me on this, but I don't think we know trade sales from non-store sources like Amazon. We do know that LL was, at the time, outselling TAAO in physical. However, LL is now well below where TAAO was canceled. The TAAO conversation was based on trends it would soon reach IDW's threshold for canceling a book. So there's a lot we don't know.

There's a decline in the industry across the board but I don't know the average. Maybe Rhyno does. I feel like going from 20k selling book to a 6k selling book in 5 years is a reader loss above the average though. But maybe there's a high digital conversion rate.

Also I don't think the book is great, but it also feels REALLY rushed. I don't know if he wants to house clean before a soft reboot or getting on track or what, but the last several issues have felt outside Roberts writing style.

And the ending is a fake out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

code:
Month          TAAO                    MTMTE/LL      
June 2016      #1             8916     #54            8312   
July           #2             7602     #55            8235
Aug            #3             7190     #56            8042
Sept           #4             7000     #57            4792
Oct
Nov            REVOLUTION #1 10233
               #5             6935
Dec            #6             6558     REVOLUTION #1  9976
                                       #1            11342
Feb 2017       #7             6426     #2             7524
                                       #3             6770
Mar            #8             6253     #4             6702
May            #9             6147     #5             6494
               #10            6081
Jun                                    #6             6502
                                       #7             6298
Jul            #11            6060     #8             6950
Aug            #12            5912
Nope. It outsold the last issue of MTMTE and the Revolution tie-in outsold the MTMTE tie-in, but other than that, MTMTE/LL has maintained a small sales lead.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I could have sworn I read somewhere that TAAO was out-performing LL, damned if I can remember where I read it though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Those are the official Diamond numbers, so it's possible that significantly more people were reading TAAO digitally, but I kind of doubt it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At this point, James Robert just seems really into snuff. When he can hold off for a little while, he sure can write, but he just can't resist. Y'need living characters to keep compelling storylines going, James.

Now that 'Til All Are One is over, the remaining TF books seem like they're just treading water for now. I'm not sure where their plots are supposed to be going.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Those are the official Diamond numbers, so it's possible that significantly more people were reading TAAO digitally, but I kind of doubt it.

No idea where I got my numbers from then, and like hell am I going to dig out the post with the numbers. Still, seems odd to cut a book which was only trending slightly below the "critically acclaimed" book

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Keldroc posted:

But seriously it's amazing how the Revolution stuff just absolutely killed my motivation to keep up with the IDW books. It was so badly presented, so badly explained in terms of structure and reading order, and not worth it once you figured it all out anyway. The whole thing feels like an intrusion every time it happens. There was probably a good way to do it but IDW sure as hell didn't find it. Messing with their one proven brand in the name of trying to make Visionaries a thing is such a strange, strange decision.
ROM vs Transformers was good.

It was also set a couple hundred years in the past and didn't interact with the current storyline at all in any way. This might have been why.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
TAAO was pretty great from beginning to end and I bet the next time we see Starscream they'll wipe away every bit of his character development.

Anyways, NEW TOYZ

He turns into pants!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

TAAO was pretty great from beginning to end and I bet the next time we see Starscream they'll wipe away every bit of his character development.

Anyways, NEW TOYZ

He turns into pants!

Can they do the Fusion Dance pose before being pants

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They are not especially poseable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m looking forward to getting those dudes. Not you, Tailgate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eh, he's better than the last Tailgate we got. SOmeday he'll get an original mold that is IDW based.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The last Tailgate we got was an original mold that is IDW based...

I prefer it TBH.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Captain Invictus posted:

Canada kind of frowns upon illegal weapons being sent through their mail system and they probably didn't want to get in trouble with the police

Yeah, aside from the massive amount of weapons, many of the packages being too large for the PO box so they had to claim those separately everytime, and even somebody sending them live ladybugs, the final straw was the backlash they got over social media over what Pat said in one of their last mailbag videos.

Can't remember which video# it was but they received an overly ornate battle-axe to which Pat remarked how it was stupid and he didn't want it in his house. The video was taken down after an hour or two and then re-uploaded with Pat's insults removed but the damage was done.

Man, if you want to see people receiving insane poo poo but keep powering through video to video? Look up any SuperMega mailbag video. People have been sending them glitter bombs, actual hair, and I think they might have over a hundred religious subscriptions now.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Burkion posted:

Can they do the Fusion Dance pose before being pants

F-F-F-F
U-U-U-U
S-S-S-S
I-I-I-I
O-O-O-O
N-N-N-N
Dance!

We can fuse if you want to
You can leave your pants behind
'Cause if your friend forms pants
And his alt-mode is pants
Then he's no pants of mine

We can fuse if you want to
You and I, friend, can combine
Now we're slightly taller
Gonna be a baller
When we're drivin' or we're flyin'

We can dance
We can dance
Everybody's losing control
We can dance
Fusion dance
Gonna take off, gonna roll

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arquinsiel posted:

The last Tailgate we got was an original mold that is IDW based...

I prefer it TBH.

The face and feet but the alt mode is nothing like his comic look. Also that bot was total poo poo. I do find it amusing that the old mold was reworked into Windcharger and they flipped that this time around.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The proportions of bot mode are roughly correct, IDW Tailgate is a top-heavy little dude. Did we even see is comic alt mode other than the half-shot of it in the "alt mode party" flashback?

I wouldn't be surprised if from now on we see all the moulds for the minibots used to do the same double duty as the originals did really.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Is the PotP Windcharger mold good? I keep hearing awful things about it so I haven't picked it up yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I want to try this.

https://twitter.com/boastfulmanfish/status/961541580892131333

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Anora posted:

Is the PotP Windcharger mold good? I keep hearing awful things about it so I haven't picked it up yet.

It's not the best Legends ever made but it's nice enough. I'd say it's better than the last Windcharger they did, hands down.