Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Waiting warmly for fully operational man hacks to become reality.

You ever heard the saying "every time they make something idiot proof, someone designs a better idiot"?

Well, the Alberta oilfield has gone through so many iterations, they've created an army of near perfect idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Medical gas fittings are supposed to be clearly labelled, but incompatible fittings have saved lives there.

Do some research and report back on whether more people are killed in chemical emergencies by

1) having a respirator and a bunch of cartridges and tragically installing the wrong one
2) not having a respirator at all

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Powershift posted:

You ever heard the saying "every time they make something idiot proof, someone designs a better idiot"?

Well, the Alberta oilfield has gone through so many iterations, they've created an army of near perfect idiots.

Yes but when are the Canadian oil companies going to mass purchase chainsaw manhacks to patrol the oil fields and make sure none of these idiots step out of line?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Do some research and report back on whether more people are killed in chemical emergencies by

1) having a respirator and a bunch of cartridges and tragically installing the wrong one
2) not having a respirator at all

3) using one of each cartridge to be protected against 2 things at once.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Yes but when are the Canadian oil companies going to mass purchase chainsaw manhacks to patrol the oil fields and make sure none of these idiots step out of line?

When it becomes financially feesable.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I was actually thinking about a crawling drone treehugger that would be able to limb its way up and then cut the pole, arborist work is super loving dangerous filled with incomprehensible numbers of morons out there, I wish I had 20 million dollars in R&D I could throw at it to turn it into billions

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Powershift posted:

Thinking about rime desperately trying to climb up a frozen wind turbine while a pack of manhacks bounce off the steel walls and make a shitton of noise and sparks flying everywhere until :gibs: :rip:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Except for some really weird combos most job sites are going to have one filter type indicated and you stock the site with that one. It's not like dudes are walking around and their belt meter dings "it's the butthole gas" and they sling a specific cartridge into their face mask like Keanu loading a shotgun.

At that point you supply a specific cartridge to a site and they get plugged in ahead of time because if you are plugging them in when you need them you are already dead and we go back to the original point: don't bring your own cartridges you snuck off your last site they probably don't match the JRA.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW7tWSc-FTo

When the city doesn't patch roads, a group of digital effects artists will make a video about doing it themselves.

Also use the timer to skip the sponsored segment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How long until the city came out to rip out their fix?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

How long until the city came out to rip out their fix?

6 hours, that was 9 months ago and the new hole is still there.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

But as an added bonus, you get a wicked deep Barry White voice when you inhale it, so your final moments are at least kinda funny.

speaking of that, and of space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg0pMbc7Opk

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

is this actually possible? crossposted from the comic strip megathread:

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuA-znVMY3I

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Hiring Mr Heang's construction company to come and beat poo poo with sticks for my next build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1slK30YHOUE

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Hiring Mr Heang's construction company to come and beat poo poo with sticks for my next build

I would imagine the whole house becomes and underground swimming pool when it rains.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

I would imagine the whole house becomes and underground swimming pool when it rains.

Well that's easy, you just build it somewhere really dry and...

*holds finger to ear*

...sorry, he built it where? Oh yeah, he's hosed.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My man is beating the hard, unyielding ground for 2 days until a swimming pool appears meanwhile I'm too lazy to go outside and skim the bugs off of mine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like how he just goes and steals a chunk from an ant colony to build his pool.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Powershift posted:

Is this for cooling, or portable ventilation instead of using a fume hood?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

yes

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

Not sure, but it doesn't look like he's a big fan of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He’s a bit of a metal fan.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Minecraft Raytracing mod looking good.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:ohno:

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1140417382185177088?s=19

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1140418968907206656?s=19

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It wasn't too much later that mercury was being explored as a basis for rocket fuel :jeb:

"[i posted:

Ignition![/i]"]
All sorts of efforts were being made, during the late 50's, to increase propellant densities, and I was responsible (not purposely, but from being taken seriously when I didn't expect to be) for one of the strangest. Phil Pomerantz, of BuWeps, wanted me to try dimethylmercury, Hg(CH3)2, as a fuel. I suggested that it might be somewhat toxic and a bit dangerous to synthesize and handle, but he assured me that it was (a) very easy to put together, and (b) as harmless as mother's milk. I was dubious, but told him that I'd see what I could do. I looked the stuff up, and discovered that, indeed, the synthesis was easy, but that it was extremely toxic, and a long way from harmless. As I had suffered from mercury poisoning on two previous occasions and didn't care to take a chance on doing it again, I thought that it would be an excellent idea to have somebody else make the compound for me. So I phoned Rochester, and asked my contact man at Eastman Kodak if they would make a hundred pounds of dimethyl mercury and ship it to NARTS. I heard a horrified gasp, and then a tightly controlled voice (I could hear the grinding of teeth beneath the words) informed me that if they were silly enough to synthesize that much dimethyl mercury, they would, in the process fog every square inch of photographic film in Rochester, and that, thank you just the same, Eastman was not interested. The receiver came down with a crash, and I sat back to consider the matter. An agonizing reappraisal seemed to be indicated.

quote:

Firing the motor wouldn't be any problem; the problem lay in the fact that all of the mercury vapor in the atmosphere would not be good for the health of the (presumably) innocent inhabitants of the county —nor for our own. So a scrubber had to be built, a long pipelike affair down which the motor would be fired, and fitted with water sprays, filters, and assorted devices to condense and collect the mercury in the exhaust before it could get out into the atmosphere. We had it built and were about ready to go, when the Navy decided to shut down —"disestablish" —NARTS, and ordered us to ship the whole mercury setup to NOTS. With a sigh of relief, we complied, and handed them the wet baby. Saved by the bell! At NOTS, Dean Couch and D. G. Nyberg took over the job, and by March 1960 had completed their experiments. They used a 250-pound thrust RFNA-UDMH motor, and injected mercury through a tap in the chamber wall. And the thing did work. They used up to 31 volume percent of mercury in their runs, and found that at 20 percent they got a 40 percent increase in density impulse. (I had calculated 43.) As they were firing in the middle of the desert, they didn't bother with the scrubber. And they didn't poison a single rattlesnake. Technically, the system was a complete success. Practically—that was something else again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m only two minutes in but it keeps getting better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F-Tww516Cc

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

and they say being a youtuber is an easy job

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Considering that the water was green when he poured it into his pool, I wonder how quickly that became a cesspool.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
probably like instantly? that video actually really amazes me because holy poo poo that's so much loving work for a fifteen minute youtube video. and it's not like that guy is actually gonna live in that house, as people have pointed out it's completely impractical for a multitude of reasons, which means he did hours upon hours of back breaking labor by hand all for... I dunno what 5 million views on youtube is worth? Like a couple thousand dollars at most right?

crazy

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's more than that guy undermining an apartment block is getting, so fair play to him.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I bet that money goes pretty far in whatever country he's in, although someone else with a camera is probably getting all the money and paying him garbage.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

I bet that money goes pretty far in whatever country he's in, although someone else with a camera is probably getting all the money and paying him garbage.

He's getting paid in experience, which is more valuable because it's not something you can buy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

sunken fleet posted:

probably like instantly? that video actually really amazes me because holy poo poo that's so much loving work for a fifteen minute youtube video. and it's not like that guy is actually gonna live in that house, as people have pointed out it's completely impractical for a multitude of reasons, which means he did hours upon hours of back breaking labor by hand all for... I dunno what 5 million views on youtube is worth? Like a couple thousand dollars at most right?

crazy

That couple thousand dollars is like a fortune for them. There's a growing number of "primitive tech" channels out there, because these people are finding there's easy money to be made simply showing off the skills they use every day but which are exotic to westerners.

It's like that old indian guy who makes videos of himself making gigantic amounts of food for his village. He get's more than enough money to pay for the food to feed his friends and neighbors, plus enough left over to live comfortably in his home.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

sunken fleet posted:

crazy

I get the feeling the guy in that video is going to be building stuff whether or not Youtube is involved. Anyway, fifteen million views on the channel at ~$1/1,000 or even less is good money in a lot of parts of the world. I’m guessing he’s in, like, Colombia or Bolivia.

Edit: ^^ Which Indian guy is that? I want to watch his videos.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's this guy. Dude will routinely get 30-million+ views on his vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6RdmyLAuJg

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the key thing is that enough of the steps are horseshit that he's most assuredly deploying power tools and modern building materials every time the camera cuts away

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

the key thing is that enough of the steps are horseshit that he's most assuredly deploying power tools and modern building materials every time the camera cuts away

who cares man

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's this guy. Dude will routinely get 30-million+ views on his vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6RdmyLAuJg

Thanks, I love it. I hope grandpa is getting a piece of the action, and isn’t just being exploited by some guy with a camera. Even at a miserable CPM, those view numbers are WAY beyond paying for the food.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The steps look level and wide enough to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://portofranko-vl.ru/ru/publication/pantsir-s-trassy-uletel-pretenzii-po-dtp-na-milliard-pred-yavleny-merii-vladivostoka

Some dude crashed a 15 million dollar missile truck