Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Phigs posted:

This is what gets me about the unvaccinated. For every chud sharing dumb anti-vaxx memes who needs to gently caress off and die there's somebody out there who just isn't paying attention and they get all their information from friends and family and they just don't know any better. That dude was obviously not one of those nutters denying COVID as they die. Just some dude who got sold a bunch of propaganda so didn't go out to get jabbed. Then he gets COVID and is like oh poo poo this is real bad I better help warn everyone and tell them to get vaccinated.

It should be the government's job to ensure these people are informed. Their deaths are just another failure of government to respond appropriately.

(if it turns out he was sharing anti-vaxx poo poo I don't care, I'm using him as an example)

Yeah, the folks who haven't been paying attention and know enough idiots to keep them from getting vaxxed . . . those folks I feel empathy for. In a functional society with a well-run government, you wouldn't need to seek out information to know that bad poo poo is going on that you need to protect yourself from. That messaging would be omnipresent, on top of whatever coordinated effort to get people vaccinated and masked and distanced was being enacted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Can't believe COVID is really over this time.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Zurtilik posted:

Can't believe COVID is really over this time.

This time? Friend, COVID was over before it ever began.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

My name is,

Who?

My name is,

What?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Had both an incredibly depressing and encouraging thing happen at work today.

My pharmacy has been offering fingerstick COVID antibody tests for the last several months, but interest was pretty flat until the last month and a half or so with delta spiking and talk of mandates and stuff. Aside from a handful of older people who got their vaccines early and were wanting to make sure they still had detectable antibodies, the vast majority of people getting these tests were maskless CHUDS looking for any excuse to say they didn't have to get the vaccine.

Every time I would have someone pop negative I would all but get on my knees and beg these people to get their shot - most of the time I had a half-used vial of pfizer vaccine literally right next to where I would administer the test, I could get their shot done in less than 5 minutes including paperwork and in 3 weeks they'd be covered. Every single god damned time it was the same "thanks but no thanks" or "my immune system is healthy I'll be okay". I did my best to persuade them but it was useless.

The worst was today. An older woman comes to get an antibody test after having had COVID last in late 2020. We do the test and of course it was negative and I offer to give her the vaccine immediately to get her at least a little protection, I talk about how given her age and comorbidities she would be at risk for a severe or potentially fatal case if she contracted the disease.

Still nothing, because "Well my daughter is a nurse in a big city near here and she says they haven't treated a single unvaccinated person for COVID at her hospital, it's all vaccinated people".

I state that what she's saying doesn't match up with what my experiences have been working at local hospitals and speaking with other healthcare workers.

"Are you calling my daughter a liar?!" Nope have a nice day ma'am. This is my crack ping moment.

On the bright side though, had a guy show up 30 minutes before close for another antibody test - again negative. Still tilting at windmills and with more excess pfizer doses I ask if he wants a shot - give him the whole shpiel about risks and mandates - ready to be crushed.

His neighbor and friend just died from COVID a day before he came to see us, so yes he would like to get his vaccine. Didn't even mind that I had to stay late to make sure he didn't pass out, it was worth it to finally get a win.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Many people need desperately to receive this message: "I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone."

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Here's today's Melbourne chud anti vax/lockdown protests, slightly delayed by a 6.0 earthquake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBVDvMCWUsE

Three days straight of protests now as covid cases are the highest in a year.

And here's the demise of my favourite local burger place in the quake, I'll probably lose weight now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXf5YKv_JiI

Walked down and took this photo myself

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 22, 2021

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ram dass in hell posted:

We ran Prester Jane off the site still I think but I do believe this is what we call a compaction cycle. Yeah they're killing their own audience, but the ones that remain are the coolest and most loyal to the right wing movement. It's better than Q because it's not a subset of the party, it's everyone.

I think what's important to understand is that yes, they're killing off their audience but their audience is not their constituency. Not one bit. They're only a vehicle to power and they always have been. The actual constituency of the right wing are a handful of wealthy billionaires.

The right wing elites realized that their movement has a sell by date on it and they're looking to establish themselves as a permanent power regardless of how many voters they actually have. Their constituency is a resource and that resource is dwindling so they are spending it now in order to maintain, expand and cement their power.

No one in power gives a gently caress about the right wing rank and file. These people die every day and will continue to die every day at an accelerated rate. None of them give a single gently caress who dies. That's not just a right wing thing. It's an elite thing. The right wingers are a lot more blatant about killing their constituency though the dems are giving them a run for their money with allowing kids to be put back in school when they hold the presidency, house and senate. So that's nice.

We're going to see a convergence of both the right wing and the libs pushing to restart the economy at basically any cost and it's going to kill a shitload of people. It's also not going to work. Covid is not just a medical problem but a social problem. Until the social problems are solved we'll keep bleeding from covid. And worse, we won't even be able to think about creating some sort of new sense of normalcy. The old normal was dying but covid blew it the gently caress up. We're now in post normal times and those who resolve the pandemic will get to define a lot of what normal will be.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

the Dems hold the senate? lol

Oh right I guess Bernie is the budget chairman or whatever the gently caress. Who cares

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ice Phisherman posted:

The right wing elites realized that their movement has a sell by date on it and they're looking to establish themselves as a permanent power regardless of how many voters they actually have. Their constituency is a resource and that resource is dwindling so they are spending it now in order to maintain, expand and cement their power.

No one in power gives a gently caress about the right wing rank and file. These people die every day and will continue to die every day at an accelerated rate. None of them give a single gently caress who dies. That's not just a right wing thing. It's an elite thing. The right wingers are a lot more blatant about killing their constituency though the dems are giving them a run for their money with allowing kids to be put back in school when they hold the presidency, house and senate. So that's nice.

yeah it shouldn't be surprising that the Republicans are fine with their voters getting killed-off by COVID because the relationship between the GOP political leadership and the voting base was always against the best interests of the latter

COVID is simply a far more visceral, far more accelerated version of getting people to back the annihilation of the climate, the poisoning of food, and the destruction of society

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I am going to live out the rest of my life as a hermit who never sees the inside of a restaurant again, aren't I

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I am going to live out the rest of my life as a hermit who never sees the inside of a restaurant again, aren't I

I miss a good mediocre raspberry frozen margarita

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

it's possible that COVID eventually mutates into "just flu, bro" levels

the problem with this sort of statement has always been that people are saying that you need to Open Biden right now, even when that mutation has not happened yet, on the assumption that it will, simply because their worldview can't stand waiting any longer (and can't stand the idea that it would never happen)

and there's millions and millions of people between today and whenever that happens, if ever it does

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cup Runneth Over posted:

dont be so glum, chum

you might be able to lay claim to the ruins of a previously loved dennys in a couple years when things get real zesty

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RedneckwithGuns posted:

"Are you calling my daughter a liar?!" Nope have a nice day ma'am. This is my crack ping moment.

"No, I'm calling you an obvious liar, loving prick."

serious "And then the hospital stood up for her and clapped" claim

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blatman posted:

dont be so glum, chum

you might be able to lay claim to the ruins of a previously loved dennys in a couple years when things get real zesty

ew, that might entail seeing a person. no thanks

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Hope no one is in Kentucky. One of my wife's co-workers got sent to a hospital there by the military and he was assigned to a an ICU. If you want to guess how many actual ICU nurses they had working there it was 0

And if you want to guess where the majority of the nurses working there were previously assigned it was home health care

And every patient there was on a ventilator

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

B-Rock452 posted:

Hope no one is in Kentucky. One of my wife's co-workers got sent to a hospital there by the military and he was assigned to a an ICU. If you want to guess how many actual ICU nurses they had working there it was 0

And if you want to guess where the majority of the nurses working there were previously assigned it was home health care

And every patient there was on a ventilator

Kentucky reporting in. o7. Very excited to drive to work every day!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Speaking of Kentucky. Here's your daily Kentucky COVID news report:

'She was worried about her fertility.' Unvaccinated Kentucky bride-to-be dies of COVID - Courier-Journal

New COVID Variant With Unique Mutations Detected in Kentucky Nursing Home - Newsweek

Ambulances in Kentucky overwhelmed with COVID-19 cases - WYMT

Gov. Beshear reports 3,391 new COVID-19 cases, 31 deaths - FOX56

At Least 41 Kentucky Public School Employees Have Died Because Of COVID. This Teacher Is Keeping Track - LEO

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Also this is starting tomorrow!

https://louderthanlifefestival.com/

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the spike is just going to be a super high plateau forever, or until something collapses. at some point there is just a maximum transmission rate, and maybe we hit it. it's not going to go down though. lol, why would it get better?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Stereotype posted:

the spike is just going to be a super high plateau forever, or until something collapses. at some point there is just a maximum transmission rate, and maybe we hit it. it's not going to go down though. lol, why would it get better?

I believe it is going down in the recording. I'm just not 100% sure how accurate the recording is.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Zurtilik posted:

why is there an asterisk for Metallica?

Sunday lineup looks dope tbh

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I read this article ready to be pissed off about yet another bullshit moralizing about how anti-vaxxers are not bad people and we should not laugh at their deaths.

But honestly, the point of the article seems to be that it works at getting some people vaccinated, because almost nowhere else is it spelled out how loving idiotically suicidal these people are and how much they suffer at the end.

I don't think anyone who felt compassion towards these pieces of poo poo would have the stomach to collect and curate such an unbelievably grim compendium of their deserved fates. So it is a benefit to mock these people. Keep on pissing on their graves, I know I will.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Mudvayne dropped out due to the singer getting COVID. Not sure what Metallica's asterisk is about.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zurtilik posted:

Speaking of Kentucky. Here's your daily Kentucky COVID news report:

'She was worried about her fertility.' Unvaccinated Kentucky bride-to-be dies of COVID - Courier-Journal

New COVID Variant With Unique Mutations Detected in Kentucky Nursing Home - Newsweek

Ambulances in Kentucky overwhelmed with COVID-19 cases - WYMT

Gov. Beshear reports 3,391 new COVID-19 cases, 31 deaths - FOX56

At Least 41 Kentucky Public School Employees Have Died Because Of COVID. This Teacher Is Keeping Track - LEO

"Worries about fertility, dies"

great

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Der Meister posted:

saw this several times in a half hour period and was really saddened tbh

what is wrong with white men

WE CRAVE DEATH MANE

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Zurtilik posted:

Kentucky reporting in. o7. Very excited to drive to work every day!

Oh well good news they are adding more beds there. by getting rid of the cath lab

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Governor Beshear used to read the demographics of each COVID case. That stopped after the cases started hitting like 50+ daily. He cried a couple times on those early big death days, be it theatric or not that's for you to decide. Then the deaths started coming and they didn't stop coming. He seems pretty numb to it all now, any attempts to take anything seriously are continually undercut by the CHUD congress and courts so he basically has to show up every day to watch and face the bloodshed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zurtilik posted:

Mudvayne dropped out due to the singer getting COVID. Not sure what Metallica's asterisk is about.

Judas Priest and Anthrax are the only bands worth seeing in that lineup anyway.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I feel like there's a few bands on there I would have like to seen if it were 20 years ago and not so much now.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

what an insane lineup for like 10 years ago

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

The media absolutely wants people to take that Herman Cain Award reductionist view of "the unvaccinated" so that the government gets absolved of any responsibility to people like what you describe

The other level of this issue is that when you get to that article shared earlier about how we shouldn't take delight in the deaths of the unvaccinated, it's still unproductive either way, because the goal shouldn't be to be just "less mean" to people, it should be to protect them!

Nobody is taking delight just because the ticker of unvaccinated deaths went up by one though. They are expressing schadenfreude when someone that loudly and vocally contributed to the problem ended up finding out.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

I feel like there's a few bands on there I would have like to seen if it were 20 years ago and not so much now.

plus you really gotta wonder about the current state of some of those bands

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zurtilik posted:

I somehow missed Cypress Hill first time through that list, so I'd probably like to see them again too.

I saw Korn and Metallica 20 years ago. Same with Cypress Hill, saw them on a ski slope, and that was pretty dope.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

My co-worker says her sister-in-law got intubated yesterday. :rip:

She keeps coughing too, but she's been doing that for like 3 weeks now so IDK. She didn't get vaccinated until like a month ago finally.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Iron Maiden still puts on a pretty good and lively show for a band fronted by mostly 65+ year olds and Bruce has had loving throat cancer. I mean, he does sound like poo poo now, but he's still doing flips and playing with flame throwers.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

oh poo poo Mudvayne got replaced by Breaking Benjamin ahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Iron Crowned posted:

Judas Priest and Anthrax are the only bands worth seeing in that lineup anyway.

should listen to new music because spiritbox is good