Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Doctor Zero posted:

Multistrada 1200
A Multistrada 1200 based Hypermotard would eat beans and poo poo all over the Dorsoduro.

The Hypermotard is Multistrada + new plastic + parts bin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Linedance posted:

In Charlie Boorman's new By Any Means there was a segment where a guy he was riding with was on a KTM that broke down and had to be towed out with a rope. Charlie couldn't have been happier.

And yet just a few years ago, he was practically lovesick over not using KTM for long way round?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

And yet just a few years ago, he was practically lovesick over not using KTM for long way round?

Wow, a dude changed his opinion on something, how unheard of!

Internet_Wwwyzzerdd
Aug 4, 2008

by T. Finn

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

fyi it has traction control with a "rain" mode you can put it in which makes it quite manageable nice for casual riding. so said nate kern anyway.

And in rain mode, it still has more power than an R1 :fap:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zool posted:

A Multistrada 1200 based Hypermotard would eat beans and poo poo all over the Dorsoduro.

Good thing it's not a 1200 2v air/oil lump, but an 1198 motor. That'd perk the Hypermotard right up.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Doctor Zero posted:

To the new 2010 model:

D'aww, the tiny man looks so cute on that. :angel:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

redscare posted:

Wow, a dude changed his opinion on something, how unheard of!

for those of you not making the connection here: when ewan and charley were putting together the long way round thing, charley had his heart set on a KTM adv bike, but KTM corporate said no. BMW was their second choice. if you see the show you'll see how incredibly pissed off charley was at this. also, the BMW they used in the show became BMW's best selling model in BMW Motorrad history after that. way to go, KTM.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Zool posted:

You know, it's childish, and stupid, and completely unreasonable, but I just can't bring myself to consider buying a bike that's called a Hypermotard. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That spacer pic is from an SV650...the guy forgot the small spacer that goes in the sprocket hub.

Content...harley seen at work:

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

for those of you not making the connection here: when ewan and charley were putting together the long way round thing, charley had his heart set on a KTM adv bike, but KTM corporate said no. BMW was their second choice. if you see the show you'll see how incredibly pissed off charley was at this. also, the BMW they used in the show became BMW's best selling model in BMW Motorrad history after that. way to go, KTM.

Supposedly, the only KTM Boorman had ridden prior to that was MacGregor's Duke. But since all the cool Dakar Rally guys rode KTMs, he had to have one.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Imagine if that trip had ended badly though. Like one of those BMWs making GBS threads its final drive all over the rear end end of Kazakhstan. Knowing how risk-averse car/bike makers can be, I'm fairly surprised that BMW didn't say "nah, we'll pass" either.

Not like either of those two actually needed to freeload.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

redscare posted:

Imagine if that trip had ended badly though. Like one of those BMWs making GBS threads its final drive all over the rear end end of Kazakhstan. Knowing how risk-averse car/bike makers can be, I'm fairly surprised that BMW didn't say "nah, we'll pass" either.

Not like either of those two actually needed to freeload.
i dunno if you actually saw the show, but in both long way down and long way round, the bikes DID poo poo themselves in various ways. although in long way down, i believe it was aftermarket rear shocks that were to blame. in LWR, one 1150 cracked its subframe and then blew out its servo brakes when they welded the subframe. some of that was not the bike's fault, but still.

and those bikes still sold like shitcakes after that. i don't think the bike performance has anything to do with it, i think the fact that it's seen with celebs riding it all the time on a 10 hour miniseries is what does it. and BMW were very wise to sponsor all that.

i really don't think any bike failure of any kind, short of a bike killing one of the riders or being so incredibly bad that they ditched all of them and bought different ones, would be bad from a marketing perspective.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

i dunno if you actually saw the show, but in both long way down and long way round, the bikes DID poo poo themselves in various ways. although in long way down, i believe it was aftermarket rear shocks that were to blame. in LWR, one 1150 cracked its subframe and then blew out its servo brakes when they welded the subframe. some of that was not the bike's fault, but still.

Haven't seen LWD but the failures in LWR were related directly to user incompetence. The subframes cracked because they were overloaded and the welding blew out the ABS because nobody thought of doing something simple like disconnecting the battery first.

quote:

i really don't think any bike failure of any kind, short of a bike killing one of the riders or being so incredibly bad that they ditched all of them and bought different ones, would be bad from a marketing perspective.

This level of failure is what I had in mind. I did specifically mention final drive failure, which isn't exactly fixable by a Mongolian guy with a welder.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, KTM really dropped the ball on that one. Other people take KTMs through Mongolia and the road of bones all the time. Perhaps they figured Hollywood guys couldn't hack it, but they come with a big support crew and have a better chance.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
To be honest I don't think KTM was angling for that market. If you look at their lineup KTM is the hooligan of the motorcycle industry, so when they saw "hollywood actors are going to ride around the world" they probably thought it was going to be weak.

And in a way, it was, they took 3 support vehicles and had a bottomless budget.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

abigserve posted:

To be honest I don't think KTM was angling for that market. If you look at their lineup KTM is the hooligan of the motorcycle industry, so when they saw "hollywood actors are going to ride around the world" they probably thought it was going to be weak.

And in a way, it was, they took 3 support vehicles and had a bottomless budget.

I thought the support crew thing was pretty weaksauce but it seems that at the end of the day, said crew caused more harm than good, what with two of them almost dying when their truck flipped.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

everyone harps on the support van aspect, but if I was going around the world on a motorcycle, I'd want one too. Yeah there's weirdos who do it solo in order to prove something to themselves, but I have nothing to prove. The Dakar rallyists use support trucks, nobody harps on them for not being hardcore enough.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Support trucks when racing: perfectly fine.

Support rigs when riding with buddies, even through nasty areas: weak sauce.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Linedance posted:

Yeah there's weirdos who do it solo in order to prove something to themselves, but I have nothing to prove. The Dakar rallyists use support trucks, nobody harps on them for not being hardcore enough.

Yes because the average guy with a bike and a thirst for adventure has the pockets to buy a support team just like a millionaire movie star or corporate-backed racing team :rolleyes:

redscare fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 4, 2009

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

redscare posted:

Yes because the average guy with a bike and a thirst for adventure has the pockets to buy a support team just like a millionaire movie star or corporate-backed racing team :rolleyes:

the point is that if you've got the resources you'd be a fool not to use them. Resources aren't just money either, if you had a well connected friend who could arrange travel papers and local fixers why would you decline their assistance?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
There is zero sense of adventure when, at any point, you can say "gently caress it, I'm tired, my bike is broken so I'm just gonna grab a cold one and wait for others to help me."

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Skier posted:

There is zero sense of adventure when, at any point, you can say "gently caress it, I'm tired, my bike is broken so I'm just gonna grab a cold one and wait for others to help me."

or "poo poo, i'm lost, oh well I'll just get my support vehicle to guide me back on track"

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Linedance posted:

Resources aren't just money either, if you had a well connected friend who could arrange travel papers and local fixers why would you decline their assistance?

Getting help from locals is completely different than having a support van full of spare parts trail you.

And no, I wouldn't have a support van even if I could afford it. At that point its not an adventure anymore, its a guided tour.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Would you jerks stop using "weaksauce"? Next thing you're going to be declaring things are "win."

Look, they are filming their adventures going around the Earth and promoting it out the rear end. It's not just two dudes getting on their bikes and going. They are entitled to a support truck. It's not like Boorman took one when he did the Dakar.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

redscare posted:

Getting help from locals is completely different than having a support van full of spare parts trail you.

And no, I wouldn't have a support van even if I could afford it. At that point its not an adventure anymore, its a guided tour.

What if you had a smoking hot wife who was a mechanic and liked vans?

... covered in grease.

wearing a bikini.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

What if you had a smoking hot wife who was a mechanic and liked vans?

... covered in grease.

wearing a bikini.

I'd get a Ural!

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

redscare posted:

I'd get a Ural!

:golfclap:

ADVRider has a "Texas to Tuktoyaktuk" thread in the Hacks section. It singlehandedly solidified my stance that a Scrambler with an aftermarket tub is the way to go. Their report was seriously: "day one, break down. Day three, break down. Day something something: front brake pads haven't been present for hundreds of miles and the front brake master cylinder has been leaking on my hands."

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Spring wreaking havoc in said Ural trip.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Terra Circa did it better than Long Way Round, did it first, and did it on second hand dirt bikes.

Charlie and Ewan throwing a fit because KTM wouldn't give them both free bikes and parts was one of the things that soured LWR for me. Maybe KTM did kick themselves afterwards, on the other hand maybe they're happy they don't have half of europes middle-managers dorking up their adventure line. Driving their wives round on sundays in his-and-hers matching branded adventure jacket-pants-and-helmet combos.

Maybe I'm just bitter because there's always three in the loving lot taking up two loving bike spaces each with all three empty loving hard panniers. At least the weather has turned so they'll be garaging them till spring and I might be able to park without having to leave the house an hour early.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Terra Circa did it better than Long Way Round, did it first, and did it on second hand dirt bikes.

Charlie and Ewan throwing a fit because KTM wouldn't give them both free bikes and parts was one of the things that soured LWR for me. Maybe KTM did kick themselves afterwards, on the other hand maybe they're happy they don't have half of europes middle-managers dorking up their adventure line. Driving their wives round on sundays in his-and-hers matching branded adventure jacket-pants-and-helmet combos.

Maybe I'm just bitter because there's always three in the loving lot taking up two loving bike spaces each with all three empty loving hard panniers. At least the weather has turned so they'll be garaging them till spring and I might be able to park without having to leave the house an hour early.

Everybody's a biker same as you no matter how dorky and uncool they are.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

so what is it, one-upmanship? A weird mix of envy and elitism? You think half the Germans touring around Africa at any given moment on a GS aren't middle managers in some company? "Sense of adventure" in this case seems to translate as "I'm better than you because..."

redscare posted:

I can't even imagine a scenario in which that statement makes the least bit of sense.
Adventure and being deliberately difficult are completely unrelated things in my mind.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 4, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Linedance posted:

so what is it, one-upmanship? A weird mix of envy and elitism? You think half the Germans touring around Africa at any given moment on a GS aren't middle managers in some company? "Sense of adventure" in this case seems to translate as "I'm better than you because..."

I can't even imagine a scenario in which that statement makes the least bit of sense.
Adventure and being deliberately difficult are completely unrelated things in my mind.

I don't think you "get" adventure riding

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
This my adventure could beat up your adventure argument is retarded. Columbus was a pussy for taking 2 back-up ships, and Magellan was weak sauce for taking 5 ships. The fact that almost everyone died brings his voyage up to proper adventure status though.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

redscare posted:

this is about right.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

redscare posted:

If I don't have to outrun a giant boulder and match wits with colossal spider, well brother, it just aint fun.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The definitions of who's a "biker" and who's an "adventurer" is all "I like those but not those" type of definitions. Charlie and Ewan did what lots and lots of people do without support but also on a time table and carrying a huge load of equipment needed to make a TV show.

If you want rrrreeeeeaaaaaaal adventurers, you go the 'Dumb Way Round'. Two 1937 Nimbus bikes, ALL the way around.

http://www.kccd.no/home_en.html

They're currently in Russia somewhere, east of Mongolia.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

If you want rrrreeeeeaaaaaaal adventurers, you go the 'Dumb Way Round'. Two 1937 Nimbus bikes, ALL the way around.

http://www.kccd.no/home_en.html

They're currently in Russia somewhere, east of Mongolia.

That trip is very appropriately named. The Nimbus was a great motorcycle, no doubt about it, but this trip is ~77,000km and the engine rebuild interval under normal conditions is 100,000km.

Factoid: They're using sidecars solely because they needed something capable of hauling their massive balls.

Also, Nimbus motorcycles are just cool :denmark:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Kinda OT, but Charlie's a bit of a dick.

http://www.m13online.com/

He's been looking into setting up a company where he would do motorcycle tours around Taiwan and was hoping that getting on By Any Means and setting up a nice ride in the countryside for Charlie along with a bunch of other Taiwanese bikers, it would be a nice bit of advertising to kick it off and instead they labeled the poor guy as the head honcho of some underground illegal street racing ring.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 4, 2009

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
Maybe there's truth in that but he hardly did himself any favours by wearing a balaclava the whole time. He wasn't exactly open about it. The 'nice ride' that he took Boorman on ended up with a least one crash, one from a rider rear ending someone else in the group, hardly looked like a responsible group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

redscare posted:

I guess that's a fair assessment.
Anyway, sorry for derailing the pics and vids thread so much, here's motorcycle adventure video to make up for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At0v9yvZHw0#t=4m40s