Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yeah but were you crusing around in town on streetlit roads, perhaps with other cars around, or going for a night time ride through a more remote area on a moonless night? :P Just saying that I can imagine situations where your first reaction would be OH gently caress poo poo PANIC I'M GON DIE! rather than cooly flipping on the high beams. :)

It happened on a freeway out in the middle of nowhere. It was on a long straight, so it was really the best place for something like that to happen. I'd noticed in the past on my 250 if I jiggled the switch just wrong it'd drop the lowbeam, so I figured that that is what happened, it wasn't until I flipped it a few times that I realized the lowbeam had actually burned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I've had a headlight go out before on the highway, right in the middle of an hour trip, and right at sunset. Luckily I came across another motorcyclist about 2 minutes after noticing it, and just pulled up in close formation with him to make sure I stayed visible, and stopped at the next exit that I knew had an auto parts store. It's kinda scary knowing how invisible motorcycles are, and during sunset you really need the high beam to stand out, and then once it's dark, I don't have any fog lights or running lights like I do on my car.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Regarding extra bright lightbulbs, are they not a bit risky to use on motorbikes due to the filaments being thinner and therefore less resistant to vibration?

I'm not too happy with the lightbulb on my bike and looked into brighter bulbs some time back, and I noticed that the Philips bulb in my bike is a heavy duty part (due to it being on a bike). How much riskier would brighter bulbs be? Losing the headlight at night is potentially terrifying, depending on what kind of riding you're doing at the time..

I've had a super-bright bulb in my Thruxton for about three years with no shenanigans. That's admittedly not riding it on particularly rough roads, but the SoCal freeways are garbage.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I used to only use the high beam when I actually needed it to see, then some lady turned left ten feet in front of me on a clearly lit road. High beam it is.

Also these are really popular and have good reviews, despite being cheap as hell.

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

edit: I'm dumb.

harm0nic fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 18, 2010

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Tsaven Nava posted:

Olympia Airglides in girlie sizes :words:

Superb recommendation, these pants are the cat's pajamas. I sprung for an 8 judging off of your sizes; they have a bit of room, but they're definitely still usable. I could've fit a 6 most likely, but that's no big deal.

A++++++ would request leg pictures again+++

edit: cat's textile over-pajamas?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

UserNotFound posted:

It's kinda scary knowing how invisible motorcycles are, and during sunset you really need the high beam to stand out, and then once it's dark, I don't have any fog lights or running lights like I do on my car.

I did a ride with a mate a while back and noticed on the ride back that his rear light was out. At dusk he was drat near invisible from 20 metres behind.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

VideoTapir posted:

I've got a C70 Passport, so no faster than about 50.

I've also got a pretty substantial neck, so maybe it wouldn't be a problem. Hmm. If it doesn't work out long-term, it'll just be a spare.
One of the other big differences will be the wind noise, which is much more substantial than a full-face helmet. Get yourself some earplugs to go with it, and you'll be fine.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Aargh posted:

I did a ride with a mate a while back and noticed on the ride back that his rear light was out. At dusk he was drat near invisible from 20 metres behind.

Done this myself. Check your bulbs folks! Wasn't until some guy on another bike pulled up next too me one evening and told me it was out did I know.

Back to gear! Anyone here bought/tried/opinion on these new helmets specifically for women? They're smaller and lighter apparently. Got a new jacket for my girl last weekend (Scorpion Selene - great jacket!!) and she tried on a couple of these womens helmets. Said it was significantly lighter and the fit was much better. I'm just not convinced a lighter helmet is necessarily a good thing...

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

Looking into buying a new pair of riding gloves.. I've been using a loaner pair of Icon 29'ers, but I've gotta get 'em back to the owner. I found these, and I'm curious, what classifies riding gloves as MX? Is there any reason I shouldn't use these on my SV?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

shipwrek posted:

Done this myself. Check your bulbs folks! Wasn't until some guy on another bike pulled up next too me one evening and told me it was out did I know.

Back to gear! Anyone here bought/tried/opinion on these new helmets specifically for women? They're smaller and lighter apparently. Got a new jacket for my girl last weekend (Scorpion Selene - great jacket!!) and she tried on a couple of these womens helmets. Said it was significantly lighter and the fit was much better. I'm just not convinced a lighter helmet is necessarily a good thing...

Mostly it's just smaller sizes (And I wonder if the shape them differently for having more hair?). Lighter isn't a bad thing, that's the major selling point of most of the Arai and Shoei helmets, superb protection without a lot of weight.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Mostly it's just smaller sizes (And I wonder if the shape them differently for having more hair?). Lighter isn't a bad thing, that's the major selling point of most of the Arai and Shoei helmets, superb protection without a lot of weight.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm
not much in it but a few grams.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 20, 2010

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'm about set to order a jacket (probably going to get a helment locall), but I'm not sure if I should bother with pants, or what kind to get if I do. I've got a 70CC Super Cub, so, I dunno. It's not hard to sell me on a jacket and gloves, I've got all kinds of scars on my arms from bicycle accidents, but I recall ever being injured below the waist, at least not in any way even kevlar could have prevented.

How are most denim pants in hot weather? How about textile overpants + shorts? How easy are over-pants to get on and off...like do boots have to come off? (My comparison in terms of hassle here would be chem gear pants)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

VideoTapir posted:

like do boots have to come off? (My comparison in terms of hassle here would be chem gear pants)
A lot of overpants have zippers that go up the leg so you can toss them on and off without touching your boots.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Ah. I saw that listed on a few of them, but now that I know to look for it, if I squint really hard I see that on most of them.

Meh, may as well. Worst case I hold on to them until I get something more powerful. Also if I go into the desert or something it could at least make me regret falling over on some cactus a little less.

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

harm0nic posted:

Looking into buying a new pair of riding gloves.. I've been using a loaner pair of Icon 29'ers, but I've gotta get 'em back to the owner. I found these, and I'm curious, what classifies riding gloves as MX? Is there any reason I shouldn't use these on my SV?

Anyone have an opinion on this?

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

harm0nic posted:

I haven't done any dirt in years so maybe things have changed but in my experience the difference is mainly in 3 places:

1: Cut. Most MX gloves do not go past the wrist allowing for greater range of movement. Street gloves generally have some amount of gaunlet that will tuck under or wrap over your jacket sleeves to keep out drafts, rain, etc.

2: Padding: Including things like vibration absorption, insulation against cold and weather proof linings. MX gloves tend to just be thin and light. Mostly there to give you better grip and protect against debris.

3: Armour: While both MX and street have armour the levels of armour available for street tend go way beyond MX. Really up to you and what your protection needs are.

Hope that helps!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
MX gloves are also designed for crashing on dirt, not asphalt, so they tend to have less abrasion protection. I'd recommended dedicated, over the wrist gloves for street use. MX gloves are definitely better than nothing, but a notch below proper leather street gloves.

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

Great! Thanks a bunch guys.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Can anyone tell me anything about this jacket? Also how about sizing from that brand, I wear large t-shirts generally so would a large jacket be good at well?

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set
about creating my robot whores, tia Science
:roboluv:
My friend gifted me that same jacket a couple days ago. She got me an Extra Large and the fit was way too loose. I'm 6'2 about 150 lbs, for reference. I would probably go down a size to a Large and that would have been just fine. I ended up just returning it and taking a gift card because the jacket does not have CE armor in the back (shoulders and elbows only).

FrothyDawg fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 23, 2010

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Just got a new helmet. So long, half-face...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/is-max/

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Just got a new helmet. So long, half-face...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/is-max/

Dapper looking chapeau you have selected for yourself. Don't drop it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Just went and bought a helmet. A Fulmer M1. The other helmet on my short list was a Suzuki GSXR branded Shoei for 140. Sounds like a bargain, but damned if the Fulmer wasn't WAY more comfortable. Part of that is attributable to it being a modular, but not entirely. The Shoei is a little uncomfortably tight in the cheeks. This helmet was as much better than the Shoei as the Shoei was compared to the others I tried.

I was tempted to get a different Fulmer, a 3/4 with a flip down sun visor, which was REALLY nice overall, but decided I like having a face. It's not much of a face but it is the only one I've got.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 23, 2010

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

VideoTapir posted:

I was tempted to get a different Fulmer, a 3/4 with a flip down sun visor, which was REALLY nice overall, but decided I like having a face. It's not much of a face but it is the only one I've got.

Yeah, I figured I liked my jaw and beard enough to move to a full-face...

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

VideoTapir posted:

The Shoei is a little uncomfortably tight in the cheeks.

This is the sign of a good fitting helmet :\

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

UserNotFound posted:

This is the sign of a good fitting helmet :\

Is it supposed to be numbing?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

It'll break in and you should be able to swap cheekpads for a better fit. I know you can do it on arais/suomys, you should be able to do it on shoeis.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

VideoTapir posted:

No, that sounds more than a "little uncomfortable".

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Well, it's a little late now. This helmet is also easier to breathe in, and in this climate, I think that's important too.

I realize it would break in some, but for the first little while the one I got is noticeably more comfortable. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned what I was shopping against.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Z3n posted:

It'll break in and you should be able to swap cheekpads for a better fit. I know you can do it on arais/suomys, you should be able to do it on shoeis.

You can do it on Shoei's too, I had to get larger cheek pads on mine.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

VideoTapir posted:

Well, it's a little late now. This helmet is also easier to breathe in, and in this climate, I think that's important too.

I realize it would break in some, but for the first little while the one I got is noticeably more comfortable. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned what I was shopping against.

No biggie, I just find that a helmet gives me fish face for about 2 weeks, and then fits absolutely perfectly after that. If you have any numbness or "hot spot", then yeah, it either fits poorly or isn't the right shape for your noggin.

On a side note, HJC Large fit my head perfectly, where as an Icon XL is stupid tight to get on my head, but fits well other than being loose around my forehead.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I ordered my helmet from "indysuperbikes" and drat if they aren't fast. It's coming by Friday, according to the tracking number. Their price was close to New Enough's (especially considering free shipping on HJC helmets), and they had the helmet in stock instead of EXTENDED BACKORDER.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

ShaneB posted:

I ordered my helmet from "indysuperbikes" and drat if they aren't fast.

They're a pretty decent place. I picked up sprockets from them about 30 minutes after they closed once, and the guy was very chatty and in no hurry to leave. It's too bad I moved an hour further away from them :(

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I have a rather small bike (a Suzuki GN-125) that I use for commuting, so I haven't really put much thought in gear yet (I know I should, I'm getting there!) aside from the helmet. The thing is, winter is starting to kill my hands ("normal" leather gloves don't really cut it) and was looking for some nice gloves, seeing as a friend of mine is going to be in the states next month. Any recommended "entry-level" gloves that would be nice against the cold/wind?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

The thing is, winter is starting to kill my hands ("normal" leather gloves don't really cut it) and was looking for some nice gloves, seeing as a friend of mine is going to be in the states next month. Any recommended "entry-level" gloves that would be nice against the cold/wind?

What do people think of something like this? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/263/26201/ITEM/Parts-Unlimited-Snow-Paws.aspx

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd hate to get my hands stuck in there during an accident.

I got a pair of these:
http://www.newenough.com/street/gloves/insulated_and_or_waterproof/tour_master/winter_elite_motorcycle_gloves.html

I haven't worn them on the bike yet, but they are thick, warm, and very, very supple. By far the softest leather glove I've ever put on, especially considering I haven't broken them in yet. They go halfway up my forearm with a big cuff that tightens tight over your jacket to keep wind out. There's also a water-/wind-proof cover that stores in a pouch on the back of your hand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got a Scorpion EXO-750, which is, as fas as I can tell, an EXO-700 with ECE rating (rather than Snell 2005) and some new features (built-in chin skirt, air pump cheek pads, and a new shield lock thing). It does seem a little tighter, but that may just mean it needs some breaking in. I'm kind of sick of sending helmets back and forth to NewEnough, but at least they're good about it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Can someone give me some advice on a two-piece A* RC-1 suit I found on CL? It's a size 38, so I know the jacket will fit, but I'm not certain on the pants. I'm ~6' with a 29" waist, and skinny. The other issue is that he's been down once in them and so the pants are scuffed on the right leg, and the right sleeve has a 1" tear at the seam with the stretch material.

I think the tear could be fixed fairly cheaply at a shoe repair place, but I'm not certain about that.

He's asking about $275, so it seems like a great deal IF I can be sure that they won't be incredibly uncomfortable/won't fit.

He sent me a few pics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Uthor posted:

I'd hate to get my hands stuck in there during an accident.

I got a pair of these:
http://www.newenough.com/street/gloves/insulated_and_or_waterproof/tour_master/winter_elite_motorcycle_gloves.html

I haven't worn them on the bike yet, but they are thick, warm, and very, very supple. By far the softest leather glove I've ever put on, especially considering I haven't broken them in yet. They go halfway up my forearm with a big cuff that tightens tight over your jacket to keep wind out. There's also a water-/wind-proof cover that stores in a pouch on the back of your hand.

I have a pair of those. I got caught in a winter storm in Indianapolis last winter wearing them, my textile armor (with liners in), and a rain suit. That kept me nice and comfy even with my breath freezing in my visor, so I think you'll be drat happy with those things.