Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ethiser posted:

I can't wait to see how Rickert reacts to Griffith. Also these two page spreads are killing me. They are beautiful but they just drag things out so much.

It doesn't help that we sort of already had this scene a few dozen chapters ago when that young general saw the same thing happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like this is leading to a situation where in order for Griffth and the country's transformation into its idyllic fairytale state to be complete the original sacrifices (Guts and Caska) must be killed. A situation where everyone's lives are better off now, but there is no place for survivors of the eclipse. Guts would be both a victim, and an antagonist from the perspective of the populace.

The alternative would be that Guts still goes after Griffth because gently caress 'em I guess.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
^^^ Pretty much what I am guessing as well. Miura is really building up Griffith to be this "savior" and I"m pretty sure Gutts isn't just going to go, oh you are good, I forgive you.

Nah he's going to wreck poo poo and he doesn't care if it ends up loving everyone else lifestyles in the process.

In short.

gently caress Griffith. :colbert:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I still hold that the only way that'll come to pass is if Casca gets her memory back and willingly returns to Griffith. I mean, Guts was willing to let pretty much everything slide as of late so long as he can get Casca help, and Griffith and Zodd seemed fine with letting him go on his merry way so long as he keeps out of their grill prior to the ascension. Though you may be right that Guts and Casca not being killed after becoming sacrifices may prove to be holes in his spiritual armor so to speak.

It does leave you wonder where the end game is for Griffith though. I mean, his goal has came to pass. He has incarnated his perfect kingdom, and the world around it is falling apart as a result due to the confluence of the spiritual and physical realms. Is he simply content to rule? He's the embodiment of ambition, and the thing about ambition is that it has no end goal. Is he going to seek to expand his realm even more? Expand his dominion?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I love the detail Miura puts into how regal and wonderful Griffith is, even though the readers (and Rickert) know the horrible poo poo he's really done. He is the very picture of a king with his otherworldly beauty and supernatural powers, and he has royalty, the pope, and the public all on his side for his seeming good deeds (he did kill Ganishka and set up the only safe place on earth, after all). It's all to build anticipation for when Guts comes knocking.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If the next chapter ends with Guts just showing up to the capital on a boat I wouldn't complain.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The two page spreads are conveying the size and splendor of the castle. He is trying to force a certain atmosphere around Griffith and Falconia.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Ugh. I hate to say it but this chapter was just cripplingly disappointing. I'm sincerely exhausted following this series for so many years, I just can't stand the Griffith-is-fabulous chapters anymore. I was genuinely really hoping beyond hope that we could just see Rickert confront Griffith and we'd have a nice "Next Time: Elf Island!" to top off the chapter but no, another chapter of Griffith mysticism at some indeterminate date likely at the end of the summer.

But since we're still speculating and there was some talk about the Dreamcast game earlier, I wanted to bring that up a bit. So, hate or love the game, and personally I really enjoyed wearing my thumbs out with it in high school, I think there's actually precedence for the game being canon. Apparently Miura did actually write the script, and the game takes place in the gap period between The Tower arc and Guts meeting Griffith on the hill of swords. Which is why there's a particular scene towards the end of the game which I think should be more thoroughly discussed by Berserk readers: http://youtu.be/N32QQqKOf5I?t=1h47m19s It's hard to tell whether this scene is just fan-service for people playing the game, but it's the only time in the whole narrative that Casca has ever regained her senses outside of a reactionary response of self-preservation, and its interesting to consider in terms of how her insanity sort of manifests in the story. The manga implies that she's regressed to a state of disengagement from the world to deal with trauma, but the way she sort of hazily snaps out of it in the dreamcast game kind of contradicts that. Anyways I'm pretty sure this is a strong indication that her personality will be restored on elf island.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Zorak posted:

I still hold that the only way that'll come to pass is if Casca gets her memory back and willingly returns to Griffith. I mean, Guts was willing to let pretty much everything slide as of late so long as he can get Casca help, and Griffith and Zodd seemed fine with letting him go on his merry way so long as he keeps out of their grill prior to the ascension. Though you may be right that Guts and Casca not being killed after becoming sacrifices may prove to be holes in his spiritual armor so to speak.

It does leave you wonder where the end game is for Griffith though. I mean, his goal has came to pass. He has incarnated his perfect kingdom, and the world around it is falling apart as a result due to the confluence of the spiritual and physical realms. Is he simply content to rule? He's the embodiment of ambition, and the thing about ambition is that it has no end goal. Is he going to seek to expand his realm even more? Expand his dominion?

He'll colonize the stars with a wagon train.

multivac
Nov 8, 2011

You're a wizard Harry
I have a bad feeling about all those masses of people in Falconia.
My guess is something royally fucks up Griffith's dream of a fantasy kingdom soon and all those people will become another sacrifice for even more power.
Otherwise, I can't really see Guts winning this thing in even a remotely satisfying manner, takes more than a few bad rumors to make people hate their god-king.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Have we seen Skull Knight since the world was transformed into Fantasia?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Laphroaig posted:

Nope. The fact that he actually was one of the factors that caused it to happen was also crazy given that he was thought to be outside fate sort of like Guts.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Soulcleaver posted:

I love the detail Miura puts into how regal and wonderful Griffith is, even though the readers (and Rickert) know the horrible poo poo he's really done. He is the very picture of a king with his otherworldly beauty and supernatural powers, and he has royalty, the pope, and the public all on his side for his seeming good deeds (he did kill Ganishka and set up the only safe place on earth, after all). It's all to build anticipation for when Guts comes knocking.

I have to agree. He looks like a warrior king and it is hard to look away. I can't wait for his dirt to get revealed.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Lamebot posted:

He'll colonize the stars with a wagon train.

No, no, let's not get silly here.

Clearly when Grif used the behilt, his pact included the wagon he just tried to escape in. This is the true reason so many wagons are going up into the castle- to truly become Godhand, he must have another eclipse only with wagons as the sacrifice.

This will lead to a two year tangent until we finally catch up with Guts, when it is revealed 'Elf Island' was the name of the ship they are on and they never had to leave port.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Edit: double phone post due to lovely cell reception.

Edit 2: Naturally, Rickert will somehow avoid being caught up in the upcoming wagon eclipse.

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 26, 2014

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Remind me how being outside of fate works again, because having read through the whole thing in a short amount of time it never really seems like anyone qualifies as being so. If Guts, Casca or SK are on the outside looking in - or even still inside but with the ability to momentarily jump out - they still don't seem to accomplish anything that isn't going along with Griffith's wishes. SK in particular; the Sword of Resonance looked like literally the perfect thing to take on Femto et al but then whoops its creation, and so far only use, has the sole effect of making Griffith's dream a reality. Gutts I guess is harder to tell with since he's met Griffith only once and that wasn't exactly the best time to test his luck. He's killed a lot of demons and apostles but does Griffith even notice if a few commanders in his army get splattered?

If fate so far means "Godhand gets what Godhand wants" then nothing anyone has done seems to have had a single effect at all.

Also kinda-sorta related but is the Lost Chapter canon and just swept aside as "whoops ain't revealing this yet" or was the entire concept scrapped and we can ignore it?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is there a general synopsis of the chapters? I read what felt like a ton about 5~ years ago, but honestly have completely forgot my place. I think I could jog my memory some if given some story beats.

Definitely somewhere in the Retribution saga... Oh boy. I think I'd be satisfied starting off with the Tower of Conviction stuff, pretty sure I saw Guts fight Azan. Where would this be around?

Edit: I think I'll just start from 16.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 26, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zorak posted:

Nope. The fact that he actually was one of the factors that caused it to happen was also crazy given that he was thought to be outside fate sort of like Guts.

I don't buy the "outside fate" argument one bit. Not for Guts and Caska and certainly not for the Skull Knight. Guts and friends have been exactly where they have been needed for the God Hand to do what they need. Guts and Caska were present on the exact night on the Tower when the Eclipse was happening for Griffiths rebirth onto the mortal plane and the Skull Knight was right on queue when he was needed to transform the world with his sword.

Just because the Skull Knight works as Mr Exposition for stuff related to the God Hand doesn't mean he isn't wrong. It's all theories and guesswork for him and it's flawed.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

multivac posted:

I have a bad feeling about all those masses of people in Falconia.
My guess is something royally fucks up Griffith's dream of a fantasy kingdom soon and all those people will become another sacrifice for even more power.
Otherwise, I can't really see Guts winning this thing in even a remotely satisfying manner, takes more than a few bad rumors to make people hate their god-king.
I think it's a good theory that Griffith is set to sacrifice everyone in Falconia to become an uber-god.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Laphroaig posted:

I like to think he's drowning his sorrows at some bar thinking "What the gently caress did I just do?"

Except he probably can't even get drunk anymore.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

YouTuber posted:

Just because the Skull Knight works as Mr Exposition for stuff related to the God Hand doesn't mean he isn't wrong. It's all theories and guesswork for him and it's flawed.
That's my take as well. I don't think Godhand or Skull Knight are lying but they may not understand their world as well as they think. Griffith may have learned more than they and I hold out that he has plans for Guts, especially in his rebellion. I think fate in Beserk's world is human desire. Fate and desire is what brings about the behelits, Godhand, and demons. I think fate is just a self-fulfilling prophesy. Griffith is important not because his desire or magic but because he is capable. He tricked Skull Knight and Ganishka into aiding his plan. Maybe the Godhand rewards merit above pedigree. I see the Godhand as the human resources for the Idea of Evil. They find humans who are capable of bringing forth human desires. Griffith was shown as a man that could do the impossible so he made the best candidate for princedom of demons. Griffith's philosophy relies on that idea as well(which was echoed in the recent chapter). His rule is based on merit and above bloodlines. Wyndham isn't a republic per se but Griffith's rule is more progressive than the previous ideology.

Guts and Caska being outside of fate means that they are no longer relevant. They aren't dead but they are exposed to the other side, so they nonpersons to both. They know more than they should so they can influence things beyond a normal mortal human. But being exposed to the other side means that the spirit realm now knows and sees them.

I always go back to how people call Guts lucky and unlucky. He has no fate in that no one expects anything of him. He is a perfect nobody. Caska straddles a line as well being a female solider. She is a woman but not a woman. They both are mercenaries without an army. Their lack of identify cement their lack of fate. If you aren't clearly defined then neither is your future.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
It's back!!
...but we're focusing on Griffith and Falconia. Sigh, small victories.

I'm really waiting for Casca to either die or return to normal because this ~15 year broken Casca stint is wearing really thin. I'm not expecting a quick and easy solution, such would not be the BERSERK way, but is she always going to be stuck in this uuu~uuu~ phase?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
"Now kiss the great goat's heart and phallus."

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Postal Parcel posted:

It's back!!
...but we're focusing on Griffith and Falconia. Sigh, small victories.

I'm really waiting for Casca to either die or return to normal because this ~15 year broken Casca stint is wearing really thin. I'm not expecting a quick and easy solution, such would not be the BERSERK way, but is she always going to be stuck in this uuu~uuu~ phase?
I've only been into Berserk for 10 years. I can't imagine how frothing at the mouth you longer-term fans must be with all these hiatuses and poo poo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Soulcleaver posted:

I've only been into Berserk for 10 years. I can't imagine how frothing at the mouth you longer-term fans must be with all these hiatuses and poo poo.

The lack of constant updates is disappointing but it has never made me angry because you can see the quality behind it all (HxH doodles this aint).

More than anything, it has shown me some of the innate shortcomings of the modern manga medium: you cannot tell an epic story in any kind of reasonable time-frame. Berserk's spiritual daddy, Guin Saga, has published like 3 books a year for almost forty years now. Had it been illustrated we would be still in book 10 or so. On the other hand, manga's slow pace lets the creator (if he's any good) plan his stuff carefully, which is a plus.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Say Nothing posted:

I think it's a good theory that Griffith is set to sacrifice everyone in Falconia to become an uber-god.

How will this happen? Next eclipse isn't due for another 216 years there are no Behelits in sight and I imagine the other Godhand wouldn't be pleased with the idea of being relegated from Final Boss tier.

Also, I thought the Idea of Evil was no longer canon.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 26, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Khagan posted:

How will this happen?
Sharingan.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Khagan posted:

Also, I thought the Idea of Evil was no longer canon.

No, just the opposite. They cut that chapter from future volume releases because it gave too much of the game away too soon.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Say Nothing posted:

It really is, and it's borne out by Griffith's entire career (as seen via flashback during the Eclipse). There's always another, shinier castle on the horizon, and there'll always be a need to build a bigger, bloodier corpse-bridge to get to it.

The scene with the dead kid mercenary and his toy soldier is a good look into Griffith's mind set. He's a chessmaster, and no matter how much he tells himself that he loves his comrades, others will always be chess pieces to him: a means to get to that loving golden castle.

I think that will ultimately lead to Godhand's downfall: they are also chess pieces in Femto's ambitions. He simply cannot abide not being in total control. And that may be what (finally) gives Guts a weakness to exploit.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Literally Kermit posted:

It really is, and it's borne out by Griffith's entire career (as seen via flashback during the Eclipse). There's always another, shinier castle on the horizon, and there'll always be a need to build a bigger, bloodier corpse-bridge to get to it.

The scene with the dead kid mercenary and his toy soldier is a good look into Griffith's mind set. He's a chessmaster, and no matter how much he tells himself that he loves his comrades, others will always be chess pieces to him: a means to get to that loving golden castle.

I think that will ultimately lead to Godhand's downfall: they are also chess pieces in Femto's ambitions. He simply cannot abide not being in total control. And that may be what (finally) gives Guts a weakness to exploit.

I never even considered this theory, but considering Femto operates pretty independent of the God Hand, it really does seem like a viable theory. I could imagine the climax of a future arc being Femto creating an eclipse far more brutal than the one beforehand.

Also, in either the most recent chapter or the one before it, Guts says something to the effect of "Oh well. I'm expecting this journey won't last much longer." when referring to the toll that the armor has had on him.

Is this a hint that Berserk is nearing it's final stretch within the next few years?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mechacop posted:

Is this a hint that Berserk is nearing it's final stretch within the next few years?

Given that Guts got onto the boat something like four to five years ago: ahahahahahahaha

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

My understanding is that Berserk is in a situation similar to One Piece, i.e. Miura already has the final arc plotted but the space between here and there is ambiguous enough that he could put as many self-contained story arcs as he wants before getting to it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Miura has made remarks that pretty much put a decade minimum before Berserk finishes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Miura has made remarks that pretty much put a decade minimum before Berserk finishes.

In fairness, he could start writing the conclusion tomorrow and that would probably still be a realistic deadline.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ethiser posted:

If the next chapter ends with Guts just showing up to the capital on a boat I wouldn't complain.

"This isn't fairy island, turn it around!"

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
I'm also curious. I don't think I saw Serpico since the Sea God was killed. He's my favorite. I can't remember for the life of me where he is unless I just missed him?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Zorak posted:

I still hold that the only way that'll come to pass is if Casca gets her memory back and willingly returns to Griffith.

Preeeeetty sure this isn't gonna happen. Hell, I'd say she has a better chance of returning to him if she doesn't get her memory back. :v:

quote:

I mean, Guts was willing to let pretty much everything slide as of late so long as he can get Casca help, and Griffith and Zodd seemed fine with letting him go on his merry way so long as he keeps out of their grill prior to the ascension. Though you may be right that Guts and Casca not being killed after becoming sacrifices may prove to be holes in his spiritual armor so to speak.

Wait, is this actually the case? With Griffith, it seems like the only reason he's not just straight up smiting Guts (since, as we saw in the Black Swordsman arc, even with Guts being as badass as he is Griffith is still a literal god and can kick his rear end without even blinking) is because he finds Guts amusing; it's not like everything under him (with basically the sole exception of Zodd, who just straight up likes Guts and has saved his rear end at least twice) hasn't been trying to kill Guts for a really long time.

quote:

The impression I'm getting is that his goal, now that he has his kingdom, is to destroy everything that isn't his kingdom. This is kinda taking care of itself without his help, so all he has to do is sit back and watch everything burn.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Wait, is this actually the case? With Griffith, it seems like the only reason he's not just straight up smiting Guts (since, as we saw in the Black Swordsman arc, even with Guts being as badass as he is Griffith is still a literal god and can kick his rear end without even blinking) is because he finds Guts amusing; it's not like everything under him (with basically the sole exception of Zodd, who just straight up likes Guts and has saved his rear end at least twice) hasn't been trying to kill Guts for a really long time.

He's had multiple chances to kill him with Zodd, but both times they deemed it completely unnecessary and Griffith bailed. Of course, Griffith's reticence may be driven by that part of his current manifestation is Guts' unborn child's own attachment driving it. Zodd outright just respects Guts yeah, but he's certainly not got any injunctions against killing him anyways.

But Griffith hasn't been actively hunting Guts at all, no, beyond Apostles doing their normal thing. Even when they attacked Flora, their goal was to remove her from the equation, not Guts. When Ganishka showed up Zodd was more than willing to just team up with Guts and let him move along afterwards since it's not really a priority.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Preeeeetty sure this isn't gonna happen. Hell, I'd say she has a better chance of returning to him if she doesn't get her memory back. :v:

I dunno, it's just my pet theory. Casca was willing to abandon her life with Guts to take care of Griffith when he'd been reduced to a bag of bones after he was locked up, her literally returning to Griffith after all of this would be the biggest gently caress you that Miura could do to Guts, imo, which is kind of Miura's modus operandi.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 27, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think Griffith wants Guts to see that he doesn't need him anymore. After the way he left the Band of the Hawk, it's been burning away at Griffith, and there's no way that his transformation into Femto changed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I wonder about Griffith's blindness with Guts. Maybe he cares and he can't admit it. That way he didn't want the war to end or see Guts hurt. Maybe that's how Guts was able to distract him.