Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chthon
May 29, 2013
I remember playing this game on the PC in the 90s (probably between 1996 and 1998) but the game itself must have been several years older, I haven't been able to find it since then. I remember it being a 2D side-scrolling platformer with a medieval theme, with the protagonist being a knight in armor or possibly a king of some sort, taking place in environments such as a castle and possibly a medieval village/forest (and most likely more exotic locations as well although i don't think I made it far enough to see those). I can't remember many details beyond those tbh as I was quite young at the time, although I'm pretty sure you could enter doorways and I pretty much remember it as a medieval Prehistorik. Probably a freeware/shareware DOS game.

As a side note, I thought this game was called "King's Quest" for the longest time, it wasn't until four or five years ago that I realized that that name referred to a completely unrelated point-and-click adventure game so idk if the name of the game I'm looking for is at all similar but I've been wanting to find it ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chthon posted:

I remember playing this game on the PC in the 90s (probably between 1996 and 1998) but the game itself must have been several years older, I haven't been able to find it since then. I remember it being a 2D side-scrolling platformer with a medieval theme, with the protagonist being a knight in armor or possibly a king of some sort, taking place in environments such as a castle and possibly a medieval village/forest (and most likely more exotic locations as well although i don't think I made it far enough to see those). I can't remember many details beyond those tbh as I was quite young at the time, although I'm pretty sure you could enter doorways and I pretty much remember it as a medieval Prehistorik. Probably a freeware/shareware DOS game.

As a side note, I thought this game was called "King's Quest" for the longest time, it wasn't until four or five years ago that I realized that that name referred to a completely unrelated point-and-click adventure game so idk if the name of the game I'm looking for is at all similar but I've been wanting to find it ever since.

It was definitely a platformer and not a beat-em-up? Did you jump on stuff? Was it straight side view? Wasn't one of the mickey mouse games, right?

Ghosts n Goblins / Super Ghouls n Ghosts?

Bob Morlock posted:

Actually, there's some kind of a bible game called Onesimus as well, that I remember playing once. Maybe that's it?

Oh snap, I think this is it!

Chthon
May 29, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

It was definitely a platformer and not a beat-em-up? Did you jump on stuff? Was it straight side view? Wasn't one of the mickey mouse games, right?

Ghosts n Goblins / Super Ghouls n Ghosts?

Yup, pretty sure it was a pure platformer, with a typical straight side view, no anthropomorphic mice involved. Although I remember the graphics being somewhat similar, I really don't think it was any of the Ghosts 'n Goblins games as I pretty clearly remember the environments in a daytime setting, and I don't think this game featured as prominent a "horror" theme, if at all. I've really been having trouble finding any other platformers with a medieval theme or with an armor-clad protagonist, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I did some digging around Gamefaqs and here are a few possible candidates:

Shadow Knights (ninjas, but whatever)
Elf
Prophecy 1: The Viking Child
Risky Woods
Hocus Pocus
Rastan
Shadows of Cairn
Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk
Claw
Dark Castle

I hope it's one of these, because I couldn't find any other medieval-themed PC platformers!

Chthon
May 29, 2013
Hmm nah don't think it's any of those, although Hocus Pocus is another game from my early childhood I haven't played since then so thanks for that at least. By now I'm thinking either it must have been some incredibly obscure game which is kinda unlikely, or I'm just completely misremembering it and it's just Ghosts 'n Goblins since that one is the most aesthetically similar to what I remember, which is probably a bit more likely. I'll still keep an eye out though.

Alright I have another one though. Shareware DOS game, also most likely an early 90s release, had a stone age setting, gameplay consisted of wandering across a landscape in a first-person perspective, which occasionally resulted in "random encounters" in which the view would shift to a 2D side view perspective, much like a fighting game. Here you would see your caveman character(s? I possibly remember there being more than one person in your "party" initially) at one end of the screen with the other party (most often consisting of other cavemen or animals, I 100% remember a couple of these involving nothing more than a single rabbit) at the other end of the screen, with various options available to you such as speech or combat. I also remember that if you were to kill a rabbit at this screen, you'd get a message saying "You killed your friend!", since this happened to me every time as I didn't know how to exit that random encounter screen without killing the other party and it made 7-year old me feel terrible (lol). Also you could craft stone weapons such as spears through some minigame where you'd use a piece of flint to chip away from a stone block to create a spearhead shape, there would be a block of stone with the outline of a spearhead drawn on it and the mouse cursor would change to a flint stone which you would use by clicking on the block of stone where you wanted to chip away. If you chipped away too much (beyond the outline of the spearhead), the minigame ended.

Any ideas?

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Chthon posted:

caveman side-scrolling spearhead chipping minigame

Sapiens without a doubt.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
e:wrong tab

Chthon
May 29, 2013

That's it! Thanks man

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I've got two games stuck in my head lately that google can't help me with.

The first game is, I believe, an arcade game made in the 90's. It's kind of like a rail beat em up with the camera behind the character. You're this super buff crocodile dundee type guy out to rescue your girlfriend from these hordes of animals and beasts. It's kind of gory and high-impact. I never played it, I saw a youtube video of it a few years ago and thought it was awesome. I can't seem to find the clip anymore after an hour of using various keywords.

The second game is one I vaguely remember from my childhood, I may have some of the facts wrong. I used to have a pc called a Vendex Headstart III. I've googled it some, but the list of bundled software did not include the game I was thinking of. The game is a simple adventure game with limited graphics (we're talking that old CGA cyan/magenta stuff). You navigate a maze, collects keys and trigger plates to move walls. There were very few enemies that halted your progress. It came with a custom level designer, which I used a lot. It had a paintbrush for a mouse cursor and you could choose from a variety of walls, select their size and hook them to pressure plates that would move them side to side or up and down.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Back in my very early elementary education (I think this would have been between 1990 and 1992?), I remember watching an older student play some sort of maze-exploration game on one of our school's cruddy old computers, an Apple ][e or similar vintage. I don't remember the gameplay at all, besides being pretty sure that it involved maze exploration, but what stuck in my head was that the difficulty levels were all names of cheeses: Cheddar (or something similar) for the easiest, then Havarti, then Brie. Does anyone know what the hell this was? It's bothered me for years, and my memories of it are vague enough that I'm not entirely sure this wasn't some kind of weird little-kid hallucination, but the cheese names were so distinct that I'm not sure I could have imagined them.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Freakazoid_ posted:

The first game is, I believe, an arcade game made in the 90's. It's kind of like a rail beat em up with the camera behind the character. You're this super buff crocodile dundee type guy out to rescue your girlfriend from these hordes of animals and beasts. It's kind of gory and high-impact. I never played it, I saw a youtube video of it a few years ago and thought it was awesome. I can't seem to find the clip anymore after an hour of using various keywords.

The First Funky Fighter?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

moller posted:

The First Funky Fighter?

That's the one! Thanks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

moller posted:

The First Funky Fighter?

:stare: Holy poo poo what the hell is this...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like how in videogames organs are always depicted as a bunch of nonspecific blobs and tubes.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo what the hell is this...

Don't ask just download. You play with the num pad because the original was literally a conversion of whack-a-mole.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

You sir are my hero. That game has taunted my memory for years. Now if I can just learn what the name of that (I think) future sports (maybe basketballish) game with robots or monsters and upgrades to buy was.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

juliuspringle posted:

You sir are my hero. That game has taunted my memory for years. Now if I can just learn what the name of that (I think) future sports (maybe basketballish) game with robots or monsters and upgrades to buy was.

Was it Mutant League Football?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

juliuspringle posted:

Super Baseball 2020 had robots and upgrades, but no monsters.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Sorry I forgot to mention it was on one of those PC demo disks that my grandma had so it would have been for WIn95 (which is why I can't just load her discs I have and look for it that way).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Sorry I forgot to mention it was on one of those PC demo disks that my grandma had so it would have been for WIn95 (which is why I can't just load her discs I have and look for it that way).

Savage Arena or Professional Underground League of Pain?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

Savage Arena or Professional Underground League of Pain?

No, in the demo at least it was inside, I think it might have been turn based, pretty sure it was set in space in the future. I think there were some bright oranges and greens but not like eye blinding neon. Here's everything I thought might help me find it, maybe it will help. pc monster robot game upgrades sports dos human win95 (I may be misremembering the windows version but I know it was pc).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

No, in the demo at least it was inside, I think it might have been turn based, pretty sure it was set in space in the future. I think there were some bright oranges and greens but not like eye blinding neon. Here's everything I thought might help me find it, maybe it will help. pc monster robot game upgrades sports dos human win95 (I may be misremembering the windows version but I know it was pc).

Definitely a stretch but Space Jam did have a Windows port.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
I remember playing a demo of a turn based strategy game where you had squad fighting some kind of aliens/monsters. No, I'm not talking about the X-COM games. I think it was probably released in the late 90s, or very early 00s, but I could be wrong about that. I remember it maybe being one of the first games to support some of 3d accelaration. Also for some reason I think the game had x in it's name. Would really aweosme to finally find the full game!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Zilkin posted:

I remember playing a demo of a turn based strategy game where you had squad fighting some kind of aliens/monsters. No, I'm not talking about the X-COM games. I think it was probably released in the late 90s, or very early 00s, but I could be wrong about that. I remember it maybe being one of the first games to support some of 3d accelaration. Also for some reason I think the game had x in it's name. Would really aweosme to finally find the full game!

Abomination: Project Nemesis? One of the WH40K games from that period?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

scamtank posted:

Abomination: Project Nemesis? One of the WH40K games from that period?

Sorry, but no that wasn't it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zilkin posted:

No x in the title but is it Gorky/Odium?

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
I asked this in the last thread and someone answered it correctly, but I can't seem to find the post now. I used to play a MS DOS game in school (so it might have been educational). It was a platformer where you played as a professor (I think). That's about all I can remember.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zilkin posted:

Incubation.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Incubation.

Yes, that was it! Thanks a lot. :glomp:

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
This was a game from the mid 90's. It was sandboxy. It's science fiction. You play a mercenary type who can buy different spaceships and engage in space battles. There's also a segment where you have ground battles with troops under your employ. The perspective is top down.

It's not X-Com or Starflight or Star Control.

It's like the Escape Velocity series, but with ground battles and less trading.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Clash at Demonhead?

Sounds like it to me.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Sounds like maybe Little Ninja Brothers (NES) or Super Ninja Boy (SNES) ?

Here's an odd one:

I remember a game almost exactly like Jill of the Jungle by Epic for DOS, it was another DOS game, a platformer kinda in the prince of persia style, really simple DOS graphics, set in some kind of a ruins or a jungle. But I'm pretty sure its not actually Jill of the Jungle. Know of other games in the same style? I googled and found a couple, but its not them. I feel like the graphics were just a tiny bit better, but maybe its just nostalgia. Its not Vinyl Goddess from Mars... Maybe it was just Jill of the Jungle. :v:

Was the player character female?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

prometheusbound2 posted:

This was a game from the mid 90's. It was sandboxy. It's science fiction. You play a mercenary type who can buy different spaceships and engage in space battles. There's also a segment where you have ground battles with troops under your employ. The perspective is top down.

Reunion?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

Was the player character female?

If so, it could be Vixen

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

prometheusbound2 posted:

Command Adventures: Starship?

I actually had tried that game on one of those 100 games demo disk...things.

Never figured out how to leave the station...

I should probably grab that just to get my nostalgia on.

Edit: Link with some screenshots

http://www.mobygames.com/game/command-adventures-starship

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 2, 2013

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Here's one.
An early PS1 game with dodgy graphics.
You're a guy, you run forward and shoot everything that comes at you.
Sorry, that's all I have.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Here's one.

Syphon Filter

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Bondematt posted:

Command Adventures: Starship?

I actually had tried that game on one of those 100 games demo disk...things.

Never figured out how to leave the station...

I should probably grab that just to get my nostalgia on.

Edit: Link with some screenshots

http://www.mobygames.com/game/command-adventures-starship

That's exactly it! Thank you so much! I loved that game when I was a kid. No idea if it'd hold up now.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Here's one.

Is it 2d? Like, you only move left right and jump?

edit: Below is the game I was thinking you might be asking about.

Rap Music and Dope fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Here's one.

If it's 3D, but not Syphon Filter, maybe the Bruce Willis gem "Apocalypse"? It's featured in one of my favorite retsupuraes, and is the best videogame embodiment of "run forward and shoot everything" I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkpKaFOgyoc