Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Yeah for some reason the meter decided to be way too dark, I would increase the exposure more but I'm already seeing noise.

Overcast skies were made specifically to gently caress over bird photographers. Except for those thin, high overcast clouds that diffuse light without weakening it to the point of being useless. Those are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

For overcast skies I usually start at +2 1/3 EV. Then whatever I'm shooting will fly into some trees and I get a beautiful blown-out image to delete.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I could probably rescue a blown out image since I shoot RAW. It's the fact that this blown out image was probably shot at 1/50 second that makes it unusable.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Young thrush in our backyard, waiting on mum to bring in some food.

thrush chick by Marc, on Flickr

Banded Dotterel chick. These guys leave the nest within a day after hatching and scamper around finding their own food.

Banded Dotterel chick by Marc, on Flickr

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Cardinal picture.

The nature park near my home is overrun with vines growing those kinds of blue berries (not human edible kind unfortunately) and I've always wondered why nothing was eating them. Hoping we get overrun with cardinals now.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Today was supposed to be gray and rainy in Seattle. Instead I wake up and there are clear sunny skies outside.

So I took pictures of ducks.

also a cormorant

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Kenshin posted:

Today was supposed to be gray and rainy in Seattle. Instead I wake up and there are clear sunny skies outside.
Nice shots!

I don't know what the forecast was around here for today, but it turned out gray, gray, and gray - thick, heavy clouds. It was dark. So I went for a short drive and ended up at a nearby Conservation Area.

A juvenile Bald Eagle also decided to venture out to the river this afternoon.
SD 176 8 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
I'm looking for a new dslr camera/setup to replace my panasonic fz70 lumix (which I foolishly took apart to try to clean a lens and broke one of the electonic ribbons). What's a good setup someone here would recommend, preferably under $1000, for good bird pics (especially faraway bird pics)? I'd want one with video-shooting ability too.

Sauer posted:

The nature park near my home is overrun with vines growing those kinds of blue berries (not human edible kind unfortunately) and I've always wondered why nothing was eating them. Hoping we get overrun with cardinals now.

Here's a cardinal I took: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_p3EBlZ91I

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rodatose posted:

I'm looking for a new dslr camera/setup to replace my panasonic fz70 lumix (which I foolishly took apart to try to clean a lens and broke one of the electonic ribbons). What's a good setup someone here would recommend, preferably under $1000, for good bird pics (especially faraway bird pics)? I'd want one with video-shooting ability too.

Used nikon D7xxx body for sure and maybe the tamron 70-300 VC USD lens. You can't get anything that will take pictures of 'faraway birds' for under $1k since the lenses start at around that much.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Used nikon D7xxx body for sure and maybe the tamron 70-300 VC USD lens. You can't get anything that will take pictures of 'faraway birds' for under $1k since the lenses start at around that much.
You can find used Tamron 150-600mm lenses (and presumably Sigma's as well) for ~$700-800. Speaking of which, I'm trying to sell my Tamron 150-600mm F-mount lens. ;)

But yeah, it's going to be difficult to get a body + lens that will give you both reach and good image quality for under $1k. You might be able to do it for around $1k, though, if you buy used and look for good deals.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Rodatose posted:

Zenit 12 Fotosnaiper, a box of Provia and a subscription to your local gym to work on arms and shoulders.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Kenshin posted:

You can find used Tamron 150-600mm lenses (and presumably Sigma's as well) for ~$700-800. Speaking of which, I'm trying to sell my Tamron 150-600mm F-mount lens. ;)

But yeah, it's going to be difficult to get a body + lens that will give you both reach and good image quality for under $1k. You might be able to do it for around $1k, though, if you buy used and look for good deals.

I've seen the 150-600mm's go for below $700 new recently, so you should be able to find one used for $600. Add a $400 body in your favorite flavor (D7000 looks like they sell for under that price, as do 60D or even an original 7D) and you're good.

Far away is all relative though. Even 600mm feels short fairly often.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've seen the 150-600mm's go for below $700 new recently, so you should be able to find one used for $600. Add a $400 body in your favorite flavor (D7000 looks like they sell for under that price, as do 60D or even an original 7D) and you're good.

Far away is all relative though. Even 600mm feels short fairly often.
True, though it depends on the condition. There's a "Bargain" quality one on KEH for $599 right now (some dude cited that vs. my craigslist listing offering me $600 vs. my asked for $720) while the "excellent" condition lenses like mine are listed for closer to $800.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Was down in Calgary over the weekend, went out with my sister to find an owl because she's been dying to see one in person

Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Next day we tried to find some in the city in the parks, but it started snowing really heavy so we said screw it and went over to the river looking for eagles and we found 4 of them hunting (just fish, we were hoping they'd go after the mallards and Canada Geese in the river)

Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Bald Eagles by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Bald Eagles by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

You might be able to get away with an m4/3 camera setup for cheaper. Olympus EM10 or Lumix gx85 with the Panasonic 100-300mm zoom gets you a 600mm equivalent field of view with good AF. You could go Olympus for great sensor stabilization and passable 1080 video, or go with Panasonic and get very good lens stabilization but 4K video.

... All that said, the Tamron 70-300 SP is a good lens and has really strong stabilization that makes you feel like robocop if you walk around with your eye up to the finder. Available for Nikon and Canon (and maybe Pentax?)

Helen Highwater posted:

Zenit 12 Fotosnaiper, a box of Provia and a subscription to your local gym to work on arms and shoulders.

I have a Nikon F3 and 300mm f/4 Nikkor and i think it's shameful that I haven't taken it out for bird photography yet.

But it's also a shame that there's no 400iso provia anymore.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 6, 2016

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Sweet! Still haven't seen any back around Edmonton.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Thanks for the advice so far!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

You might be able to get away with an m4/3 camera setup for cheaper. Olympus EM10 or Lumix gx85 with the Panasonic 100-300mm zoom gets you a 600mm equivalent field of view with good AF. You could go Olympus for great sensor stabilization and passable 1080 video, or go with Panasonic and get very good lens stabilization but 4K video.
Those are mirrorless, right? I'm still bad at terminology (and everything else). How much better is the autofocus on a dSLR than a mirrorless when it comes to trying to get a bird in flight? With my panasonic fz70 it seemed touchy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's not even comparable when it comes to difficult focus situations. DSLR is the only way to go for bird photography.

E: I mean you can get shots on mirrorless but you will miss shots much more often.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Baby King Penguin. No idea why, but everyone called them "Oaken Boys" and I guess I missed the explanation.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Baby King Penguin. No idea why, but everyone called them "Oaken Boys" and I guess I missed the explanation.

:lol::lol: it looks like a cross between a brown bear and a little hunched-over old man squinting with poor eyesight. With creepy long arms.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Sweet! Still haven't seen any back around Edmonton.

Thanks, I was going to check for Snowys around Ft Sask/Tofield on Sunday if the weather is decent. I've seen a couple local guys posting pics in the past 2 weeks, the bander who does the red marking has gotten at least one so far, so I'd like to try to get some before the majority in the area are marked.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

A nice video documenting this thread's favorite grainery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzs3Fq-yYWw

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This is what one million penguins look like:

Link to monster file:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-548NVFr/0/O/i-548NVFr.jpg

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This is a great little video on the terminal action, thanks for linking it.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 10, 2016

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Awesome, from some of the local photographers' posts there's a northern goshawk hunting there this past week and a new juvenile gyrfalcon. Right now it's below -20 air temp with a -30 windchill, so hoping to check things out again next weekend.

InternetJunky posted:

holy poo poo, bird/landscape crosspost

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

InternetJunky posted:

I counted them and there are only 642 thousand :colbert:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

Link to monster file:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-548NVFr/0/O/i-548NVFr.jpg

This is a great little video on the terminal action, thanks for linking it.

Just curious what does one million penguins smell like?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Just curious what does one million penguins smell like?
Exactly what you're imagining except way worse.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I was trying to organise some old photo directories and found a whole sequence of owls I forgot about.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Do bats count as birds?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Dread Head posted:

Do bats count as birds?

No they count as bugs.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Don't be dismissive, bat lives matter.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Aquila posted:

No they count as bugs.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went to the Grain Terminal yesterday, first time this winter, the main Gyrfalcon hasn't come back yet, and it's about a month overdue... RIP I suppose.

Saw a Prairie Falcon make a successful hunt shortly after I arrived and was eating lunch in my car (d'oh) but about 20 minutes later it made a couple half-assed circles around the building.
Prairie Falcon after a hunt by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

A juvenile Prairie Falcon showed up and they had a little squabble over territory
Prairie Falcons fighting over turf by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

And about an hour later a juvenile Bald Eagle arrived. None of my pics of it hunting amongst the pigeons turned out
Juvenile Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

neckbeard posted:

Went to the Grain Terminal yesterday, first time this winter, the main Gyrfalcon hasn't come back yet, and it's about a month overdue... RIP I suppose.

Saw a Prairie Falcon make a successful hunt shortly after I arrived and was eating lunch in my car (d'oh) but about 20 minutes later it made a couple half-assed circles around the building.
Prairie Falcon after a hunt by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Nice capture with the v-shaped hole in the flock of pigeons! And internet junky- really loving the penguins (and owls).

Finally got to haul my camera around a bit during the local Christmas Bird Counts.

A heavily-cropped House Wren
House Wren, Point Isabel-8719 on Flickr

an obliging juvie Red-tail
Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk, Albany Bulb-8944 on Flickr

Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk, Albany Bulb-8992 on Flickr

Some Peeps (mostly Western Sandpipers I think)
Peep Flock, Albany Bulb -8823 on Flickr

Some heavily-cropped Warblers (Townsend's and Hermit- I think the Hermit was the only one for the count circle)
Townsends Warbler Albany Hill 2-9155 on Flickr

Hermit Warbler, Sunset View Cemetary-9175 on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I don't have much so far this season. Might get a chance to fix that tomorrow morning, though.

The ever-present Eastern phoebe

A local cormorant's favorite afternoon spot

But what I really came to post in this thread were a few of this guy's[/url [url=https://flic.kr/p/PdQAJt]photos.

Yeah, they're just shots from the zoo, but check out that detail. I'd really like to see what kind of results someone could get in the field with that guy's setup. Compared to any modern DSLR, the SD Quatto H is not very good as a general-purpose camera; it has poor high ISO performance and merely OK AF.

Based on his photostream, my guess is that this photographer will now go back to his daily, incredibly (almost disgustingly) detailed pictures of food, but may take his setup out for some birding in 6 months or so.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

A local cormorant's favorite afternoon spot

Lovely shot. (although I would be tempted to clone out the blurs on the left-hand side.)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

SMERSH Mouth posted:

But what I really came to post in this thread were a few of this guy's[/url [url=https://flic.kr/p/PdQAJt]photos.

Yeah, they're just shots from the zoo, but check out that detail. I'd really like to see what kind of results someone could get in the field with that guy's setup. Compared to any modern DSLR, the SD Quatto H is not very good as a general-purpose camera; it has poor high ISO performance and merely OK AF.

Based on his photostream, my guess is that this photographer will now go back to his daily, incredibly (almost disgustingly) detailed pictures of food, but may take his setup out for some birding in 6 months or so.

Can you get any long reaching lenses for that system though?

fakeedit: i see that in his photostream he has photos taken at both 500mm and 1000mm so i guess so!

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 24, 2016

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I got a "better beamer" flash lens for Christmas and tried it out for the first time the other day on my feeder bird. Not really thrilled with the results thus far and the vast majority of the photos were blurry (max sync speed 1/250). Still, interesting to be able to shoot birds in the shade in overcast conditions in December.

Black-Capped Chickadee Flash 1 by Josh, on Flickr

Black-Capped Chickadee Flash 2 by Josh, on Flickr

20161224-20161224-_MG_8203.jpg by Josh, on Flickr

Anna's Hummingbird Flash 2 by Josh, on Flickr

Here's some non-flash bird photos.

Anna's Hummingbird No Flash 1 by Josh, on Flickr

Anna's Hummingbird No Flash 3 by Josh, on Flickr

Trumpeter Swans 3 by Josh, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I rarely like aesthetics of flash for wildlife photography. There's an art some are able to do to make it look sufficiently natural, or otherwise it works best for animals in urban environment where the brain is able to reconcile harsh lighting with the fact it's all artificial lighting anyway.