Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MassRayPer posted:

Mankind was not a Russo creation.

Ohh. Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Mankind was not a Russo creation.

I was going to say that I'm pretty sure Foley made the Mankind gimmick what it was.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, but Mankind could be an example of Russo coming up with a good idea...

Wait, what am I saying? :confused:

Russo and McMahon's Mankind was a dude who lived in a sewer, played with rats, wore chainmail and a Hannibal Lecter mask, and was abused by his mom. Foley and JR's Mankind was a deranged wrestler, driven to sociopathic violence and multiple personalities by his complete and utter failure to be Shawn Michaels and the pain and mutilation caused by hardcore wrestling and Japanese deathmatches.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

WeaselWeaz posted:

Russo and McMahon's Mankind was a dude who lived in a sewer, played with rats, wore chainmail and a Hannibal Lecter mask, and was abused by his mom. Foley and JR's Mankind was a deranged wrestler, driven to sociopathic violence and multiple personalities by his complete and utter failure to be Shawn Michaels and the pain and mutilation caused by hardcore wrestling and Japanese deathmatches.

Then what was Cactus Jack?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The A-Team Van posted:

Indy Geek.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

The A-Team Van posted:

Cactus Jack didn't want to be Shawn Michaels. He wanted to huuuuurrrrt Shawn Michaels.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I remember reading a magazine when i was a kid that said underneath that little fingerglove thing Mankind wore, those two fingers were fused together.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Linking the four part worked-shoot that was how you do the idea properly. This is required viewing for everyone, especially the WWE writers. I would say it's probably the greatest set of promos ever, at least some of the best moments from the Attitude era.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNB2CuJw6po
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QIGCaWPEwU
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8s_AKJCjew
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf9fVGi6pFQ

I should note that I was a huge, huge Foley fan when I started watching wrestling again in 1998. His promos and character got me back into WWF and listening to lovely WAV files from a Foley fansite (pre YouTube, pre loving MP3) were what clinched him as one of my favorite wrestlers ever.

The A-Team Van posted:

Cactus Jack was supposed to be temporary, until he was ready to be WWF champion Dude Love, the Shawn Michaels character. Except things went terribly, terribly wrong. Foley didn't have the looks, the sex appeal, or the girls. Instead, Cactus Jack spiraled him into a world of pain and hardcore wrestling, until he hit the bottom that was deathmatches in Japan and not only resigned himself to his fate but began to relish it. Then he received the call he had been waiting a decade for, to come to the WWF, but long after it was too late to ever be Dude Love. The cruel joke the world played on him caused him to finally snap. He took the name Mankind because his outside was the reflection of the ugliness inside everyone else, and his goal became to make all the WWF superstars pay for what had happened to him.

As we all know, this was too rasslin' and Foley never became any sort of star, so WWE switched to the current booking style of scripting everything, having guys look like losers, and calling them boring.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 26, 2010

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I remember Ken Shamrock having Mankind in the ankle lock. Mankind, not wanting to tap out to the ankle lock, put himself in the Mandible Claw until he passed out.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

TL posted:

I remember Ken Shamrock having Mankind in the ankle lock. Mankind, not wanting to tap out to the ankle lock, put himself in the Mandible Claw until he passed out.

that was a good match

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Now that they've officially gone national, who had the better debut: Danielson or McGuinness?

I'd say Danielson because he had a really good match with World Heavyweight Champion Chris Jericho on his first show. Turned me into somewhat of a mark.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

The A-Team Van posted:

Now that they've officially gone national, who had the better debut: Danielson or McGuinness?

I'd say Danielson because he had a really good match with World Heavyweight Champion Chris Jericho on his first show. Turned me into somewhat of a mark.

It's really close for me, but I think the hype they put behind the debut episode of NXT makes it a bigger debut for Bryan. Nigel's debut was sweet in punking out Angle twice, but it was unannounced. With Bryan, WWE went "This guy is awesome! You will want to watch this show because this guy (and the other guys too I guess) is awesome!"

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I need a site that has Hardcore TV results from the summer of 96. I'm trying to pinpoint when I first started watching ECW on MSG.

All I remember it was Jericho v Shane Douglas v Pitbull #2 v 2 Cold Scorpio. I know it was from Heatwave 96 and is on the DVD. But the first match I remember was I think Sandman (maybe Dreamer) v Raven. And someone had a cheese greater dug into their opponents forehead with it. It terrified me, real bad. But my 13 year old self still remembered that time slot and watched the next week.

It may have been highlights of matches from a show, but all I know was I was the only one who knew who Jericho was when he jumped to WCW because of that one match. I'll never forget it, and I was a Jericho-a-holic since like month 2.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The A-Team Van posted:

I just feel bad for Nigel. Guy went to Wembley for Summerslam dressed as the Ultimate Warrior, and is so close to his dream, but his body betrays him :smith:

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
Just read Mick Foley' first autobiography for the first time since I was about twelve. Any other good autobiography recommendations?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Erdnase posted:

Just read Mick Foley' first autobiography for the first time since I was about twelve. Any other good autobiography recommendations?

Jericho's

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

The American Dream posted:

I need a site that has Hardcore TV results from the summer of 96. I'm trying to pinpoint when I first started watching ECW on MSG.

All I remember it was Jericho v Shane Douglas v Pitbull #2 v 2 Cold Scorpio. I know it was from Heatwave 96 and is on the DVD. But the first match I remember was I think Sandman (maybe Dreamer) v Raven. And someone had a cheese greater dug into their opponents forehead with it. It terrified me, real bad. But my 13 year old self still remembered that time slot and watched the next week.

It may have been highlights of matches from a show, but all I know was I was the only one who knew who Jericho was when he jumped to WCW because of that one match. I'll never forget it, and I was a Jericho-a-holic since like month 2.

This might help: http://www.softcom.net/users/abingham/ecw1996tv.html

Chop Licker
Apr 25, 2005

by mons al-madeen
How come the WWE hasn't done the finish where someone passes out rather than submitting in so long? Seems like a good way to get over while still taking a loss.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You pretty much just answered your own question. For a little while in the late 90's, everybody but jobbers passed out so it looked like only jobbers tapped. Now if they ever go there it has meaning.

Edit: Nevermind. poo poo.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 26, 2010

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Chop Licker posted:

How come the WWE hasn't done the finish where someone passes out rather than submitting in so long? Seems like a good way to get over while still taking a loss.

Hulk Hogan passed the gently caress out when Brock Lesnar put him in a bear hug.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Chop Licker posted:

Triple H does this sometimes, him actually tapping to cena rather than just passing out was surprising.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Erdnase posted:

Bret Hart.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

Linking the four part worked-shoot that was how you do the idea properly. This is required viewing for everyone, especially the WWE writers. I would say it's probably the greatest set of promos ever, at least some of the best moments from the Attitude era.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNB2CuJw6po
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QIGCaWPEwU
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8s_AKJCjew
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf9fVGi6pFQ

I noticed that they got footage from FMW and ECW in there to show Foley's past. Why don't they do that anymore? Having some footage of Danielson or (when they were originally hyping him) Punk would do wonders to build them up when you're touting them as having wrestled all over.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

I noticed that they got footage from FMW and ECW in there to show Foley's past. Why don't they do that anymore? Having some footage of Danielson or (when they were originally hyping him) Punk would do wonders to build them up when you're touting them as having wrestled all over.

To be honest, the WWE have VERY rarely mentioned that someone has had any kind of career anywhere else (unless they own the "anywhere else" of course). Sometimes you will get something as nebulous as "Hes had success in Japan" or "Hes a veteran of many matches in south america", but aside from that...

I think part of it is just not wanting to acknowledge the competition (well, such that it is) to make sure that the casual fans dont go "Huh... Where was that clip from?" and wind up spending their money on another companies DVDs instead of little bastard action figures.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Erdnase posted:

Bret's book is great even though he has a really high opinion of himself (spoiler)

If you want a sense of what late 80s/early 90s WWF was like behind the scenes, it's a good read. Probably my 2nd favorite autobiography after the Dynamite Kid's book.

Just prepare yourself for the fact that every Hart except Owen and Helen (and Stu to a lesser extent) are made to look like humongous pieces of poo poo

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Erdnase posted:

The Rock

and prettty much what others have recommended

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Pneub posted:

Jericho's

Seconding this. It's only the story of his life up until his WWF debut, but it's still phenomenal how far he's come. It gives great insight into the life of a wrestler performing in Canadian territories, Japan, and Mexico, and it gives extra looks into training at the Hart Dungeon and some of the backstage workings of WCW from a cruiserweight's perspective. It's a surprisingly quick read for a 500(?) page book, and he tells some amazing stories.

Be warned though: He still does that thing where he likes to add "-ski" to the end of some words to make them sound Russian.

SiKboy posted:

I think part of it is just not wanting to acknowledge the competition (well, such that it is) to make sure that the casual fans dont go "Huh... Where was that clip from?" and wind up spending their money on another companies DVDs instead of little bastard action figures.

This is why I think it's particularly interesting that WWE touted the hell out of The Wrestler, which not only shows the darker side of many wrestlers' personal lives after their glory days, but also had scenes that explicitly took place at CZW and ROH shows. I guess so long as they're not showing any actual competition on WWE programming it's OK.

Dr. Ass fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 26, 2010

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CM Junk posted:

This is why I think it's particularly interesting that WWE touted the hell out of The Wrestler, which not only shows the darker side of many wrestlers' personal lives after their glory days, but also had scenes that explicitly took place at CZW and ROH shows. I guess so long as they're not showing any actual competition on WWE programming it's OK.

Vince hated The Wrestler until it was apparent it was going to get critical acclaim.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erdnase posted:

The Dynamite Kid's. It is hilarious, and sad.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Burrito posted:

Vince hated The Wrestler until it was apparent it was going to get critical acclaim.

I thought he hated The Wrestler until he came out and personally proved the dirtsheets were lying the whole time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

A note about any wrestler autobiography: Be prepared for a LOT of bullshit and self-justification. There are few if any wrestlers out there who have written an autobiography who will not be attempting to make themselves look good in its pages. Even Have A Nice Day (for my money the best one of the last 10 or 15 years) has several points where Foley is clearly giving his actions as positive a spin as he possibly can.

However, as long as you can accept that the writers are bullshit artists of the highest order, Dynamite Kid and Bret Hart both wrote utterly compelling books.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Erdnase posted:

We actually have a thread specifically for this! Stickied at the top of Wrestlehut for your convenience

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2758664

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I'd say Foley second one is decent. But whatever you do, do not read the Hardcore Diary's one.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

KungFu Grip posted:

I'd say Foley second one is decent. But whatever you do, do not read the Hardcore Diary's one.

Foley's 2nd book was less about wrestling, if memory serves because I read both books a few years ago. Also, there's a pretty big chunk of the page count devoted to Foley defending the WWF from the groups criticizing it at the time. Like there's no story anymore, its a lot of numbers and kind of reads like a report albeit with a little humor mixed in.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Is Cole a heel now/going that direction? The only thing I've heard him call in months was Dryan Banielson's debut, and he sounded a bit overly-dickish.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I think Cole was scripted that way to give his partner a chance to list all the reasons why Daniel Bryan's accomplishments should, indeed, be taken seriously by the WWE Universe.

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
Totally missed the sticky, oops (I didn't even realise there were so many wrestling books available). But thanks everyone for thier recommendations, definately going to pick up Jericho and The Dynamite Kid.

quote:

A note about any wrestler autobiography: Be prepared for a LOT of bullshit and self-justification. There are few if any wrestlers out there who have written an autobiography who will not be attempting to make themselves look good in its pages. Even Have A Nice Day (for my money the best one of the last 10 or 15 years) has several points where Foley is clearly giving his actions as positive a spin as he possibly can.

Yea, definately. I didn't notice the first time around because I was 12 and Foley=God etc but there's a lot of this. Especially around leaving ECW and the Montreal Screwjob.

down beat
Jul 11, 2002

Pneub posted:

Is Cole a heel now/going that direction? The only thing I've heard him call in months was Dryan Banielson's debut, and he sounded a bit overly-dickish.
I had a dream that Cole turned completely heal and it was kind of awesome.

Because gently caress Cole

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Always wondered - Is Undertaker the only 300+ lb wrestler to do the top-rope plancha dive out of the ring? I think Mike Awesome did it but he wasn't that big, was he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

Always wondered - Is Undertaker the only 300+ lb wrestler to do the top-rope plancha dive out of the ring? I think Mike Awesome did it but he wasn't that big, was he?

Undertaker isn't over 300lbs. He is 299. :colbert:

But Mike Awesome was 9lbs lighter than Taker is now.