Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Booties posted:

Made a gin fizz with half an ounce of st. Germaine elder flower. So good for the summer. Any other good recipes for st. Germaine? I need to use this bottle up in the current decade.

You can sub it in as the sweetening agent in seriously just about any vodka or gin cocktail and it's not gonna taste bad as long as you don't go overboard. I'll make cosmos with it sometimes and they're pretty nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Its really hard to gently caress a drink up by adding or subbing st. germaine in it tbqh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Booties posted:

Made a gin fizz with half an ounce of st. Germaine elder flower. So good for the summer. Any other good recipes for st. Germaine? I need to use this bottle up in the current decade.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There's a place near here that does gin, muddled basil, St. Germain, tonic, soda, squeeze of lime, served on the rocks in either an old fashioned or double old fashioned glass. I really like it. You would have to figure out the ratios yourself.

The Maestro posted:

I'd do something like 2 oz gin, .5-.75 lime, .5 st germain, .5-1 tonic, top with 3-4oz soda. I like a lot of lime though, so I'd do .75-1 for myself. I'd want the st germain to accent and not overpower.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Made this last night, no name for it yet:

1.5 White Rum
1 Peach Ginger Shrub
.5 Allspice Dram
.25 St. Germaine
2-3 Angostura Bitters (or any spicy bitters)
Egg white

Double shake, serve in a rocks glass w/ rocks if you like. I'm really happy with it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I might actually pull the St. Germaine from that recipe, i just made one and its a little sweeter than I remember it from the first go-round

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
I made a Penicillin and it was delicious.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
If you're talking elderflower you should be talking Apparent Sours.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone wanna recommend a good citrus zester? I've tried two and although they're good for getting twists out of oranges they are completely incapable of getting twists out of limes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Is there an apple liqueur that doesn't taste like poo poo? Not like applejack or brandy but a non-lovely version of the sour apple pucker stuff collecting dust at every bar. Had to make some appletinis tonight for (somehow) the first time in my career and after some quick googling I threw something together based on a recipe Alton Brown posted with a little Lillet Blanc and honey syrup and it honestly wasn't bad but I feel like it could be way better if I had something less cloying and artificial tasting than the DeKyupper stuff for the apple factor

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

goferchan posted:

Is there an apple liqueur that doesn't taste like poo poo? Not like applejack or brandy but a non-lovely version of the sour apple pucker stuff collecting dust at every bar. Had to make some appletinis tonight for (somehow) the first time in my career and after some quick googling I threw something together based on a recipe Alton Brown posted with a little Lillet Blanc and honey syrup and it honestly wasn't bad but I feel like it could be way better if I had something less cloying and artificial tasting than the DeKyupper stuff for the apple factor

Look into Berentzen apple liqueur. It's not nearly as sour as that DeKuyper nonsense.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

I like Thatchers liqueurs. They have an apple spice ginger which may not be what you're looking for and honestly I haven't tried it in a while so I won't speak to it. Big help. Maybe just liqueur up some lairds? St George maybe? Clear creek? Oh you said sour. Sorry no clue.

To the guy above you asking about zesters - I like y zesters, but limes are just hard to zest. Try to find bearss/persian limes if you can.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So , thread, I'm still relatively new to the whole cocktail scene, but I've been getting into making stuff at home. Starting with old fashioneds like my great grandfather (my other drink of preference is single malt whisky, like my great grandmother), I've been getting into other drinks. I have a question though. I bought a 375 of Martini and Rossi sweet vermouth under the advice of posts in this thread as a decent budget brand. I keep it in the fridge to prolong it's life span, but I find it to be disturbingly overpowering. In a Manhattan or Negroni, I find it to be totally overpowering, even if I cut back on the vermouth somewhat. Is this typical of all vermouth or sweet vermouth? Or just Martini and Rossi?

Also, what else should I make with bottle of Campari?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Why don't you splurge for a $15 375ml bottle of Carpano or Cocchi just once and see if you notice an improvement over the Martini and Rossi. If you don't like those then maybe you just don't like vermouth.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I feel like half of my posts in this thread are responding to people asking what to do with their Campari besides making a Negroni but I guess I'm ok with that. Campari and soda water is nice and refreshing, splash in basically any kind of bitters if you're looking for some more depth. Take a swig out of a bottle of light beer (Miller High Life is my go-to but you can get fancy if you want) and splash a little Campari in there and it's delicious. Sub your gin in a Negroni out for whiskey and make a Boulevardier. Just take shots of Campari until you start enjoying it.

It's honestly super versatile and you can incorporate a splash of it into just about anything light and fizzy and it will play nicely. Grab some flavored Pellegrino or La Croix and throw it in there and it will probably taste great unless you're a weirdo who drinks like coconut La Croix in which case you deserve whatever you loving get

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Campari owns. And a boulevardier beats a negroni any day of the week.

There's also nothing wrong with adjusting ratios to taste. Back the sweet vermouth way off until it tastes right. You'll eventually put more in as your palate grows to appreciate it because the drinks are largely about buffing the vermouth rather than showcasing the liquor. Or not and drink on with less vermouth you snowflake you.

Trying other vermouths would also be a good idea. But don't neglect the dry Vermouths because pollock/haddock/cod/whatever whitefish baked in vermouth, garlic, and aromatic veggies is loving delicious.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know of any good cocktail bars in the Corpus Christi area?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm drinking a Negroni-Colada right now with Campari, Carpano Antica, Beefeater, coconut cream, and fresh pineapple and it's loving amazing lol

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

goferchan posted:

I'm drinking a Negroni-Colada right now with Campari, Carpano Antica, Beefeater, coconut cream, and fresh pineapple and it's loving amazing lol

During negroni week, my local was doing a Pacific Negroni, which was Ariki Gin, Suze, and coconut infused martini bianco.
It was very un-negroni like, but super delicious.

Edit: Ariki Gin, not Seiko. What the gently caress autocorrect

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 27, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone wanna recommend a good citrus zester? I've tried two and although they're good for getting twists out of oranges they are completely incapable of getting twists out of limes.

Ok I ended up getting the Sur La Table house brand zester/channel knife. It's shallow and small so it works really well on lime, but it's too shallow for oranges. So I guess between limes, lemons and oranges/grapefruit you probably want two sizes of channel knives.

Im new to this but it seems to me that although you want to minimize the amount of white pith you peel out, you need a little bit to help the twist hold its shape. If your twist is nothing but the outer zest, it seems very floppy. Does this sound correct to you more experienced bartenders?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Those things are basically flensing knives.

PS make 2L of boulevardier for my local wine shop's anniversary, got many wine peeps rekt.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Is there anything to do with limoncello? Someone gave me a bottle and I don't know what to do other than drink with ice which is alright but nothing special

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Spritz on fruit salad, make whipped cream with it like you would brandy and a little less sugar, mix with some seltzer.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KingColliwog posted:

Is there anything to do with limoncello? Someone gave me a bottle and I don't know what to do other than drink with ice which is alright but nothing special

Limoncello margarita and mojitos.
With more lemon.

Basically any cocktail that has lemon juice and sugar you can sub in limoncello and a bit of fresh lemon.
It gives the drinks a wider taste, since youre including all that zest oil with the limoncello.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Soda water.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Limoncello margarita and mojitos.
With more lemon.

Basically any cocktail that has lemon juice and sugar you can sub in limoncello and a bit of fresh lemon.
It gives the drinks a wider taste, since youre including all that zest oil with the limoncello.

Cool. If it calls for 1oz of lemon, should I start with half limoncello half lemon and adjust to taste?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

Cool. If it calls for 1oz of lemon, should I start with half limoncello half lemon and adjust to taste?

That'd work but also dial back the sugar/syrup a touch because limoncello is sweetened.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Klauser posted:

If you're talking elderflower you should be talking Apparent Sours.

Well. That was amazing.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Limoncello in champagne is pretty alright. Or mix it with unsweetend iced tea. Put it in a corona after you drink the neck down. You could put it in sprite, but I find that way, way too sweet. Some people like it. As others have said, a limoncello margarita is a thing you could do.

Also, put that poo poo over ice cream/sorbet. I one time drunkenly made bananas foster with it. Aside from that probably being a bad decision, it came out alright.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 29, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KingColliwog posted:

Butch Cassidy posted:

That'd work but also dial back the sugar/syrup a touch because limoncello is sweetened.

Yeah p.much this^
Personally I add a 2:1 lemon:Limoncello mix but I like my sour drinks very sour, and limoncello I usually get (Pallini) cuts through that with all the sugar in it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

I made a Hemingway Rickey today and god drat is that a good summer drink :thurman:

Had a few of these tonight while grillin up some cheesesteaks on the flattop. Not too heavy or serious, with just the right amount of Hemingway. A good summer drink
Indeed.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What's the best way to bring in Thyme flavor, syrup or liquor infusion? Syrup seems pretty popular, but infusion makes more sense with the hydrophobic oils.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 30, 2016

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
Making Frank Forester's punch Sunday! Can't wait.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Comb Your Beard posted:

What's the best way to bring in Thyme flavor, syrup or liquor infusion? Syrup seems pretty popular, but infusion makes more sense with the hydrophobic oils.

I infused thyme into vodka, beefeater, and Hendricks and found it worked best in the dry gin. The problem is the infusion turns an ugly brown after exposure to oxygen.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
thx for the tips on how to use the limoncello. Just found out a a gin and tonic with half lemon half limoncello in place of my usual lime is a god-tier easy summer cocktail. Can't wait to try it in everything now

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My friend gave me a bottle of George Dickel white whiskey for a present. Are there any cocktails to make with it?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
imo white whisky is a gimmick for spirit nerds and not any good in cocktails whatsoever but you can sort of treat it as a grain alcohol version of a rhum agricole if you're really determined, it'll work best in really simple citrusy cocktails without too many complex flavours

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. I figured at worst it's like vodka, where it doesn't really give much character to the drink.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I was given similar and after ignoring it for a year, am now infusing it with lemon zest to do a corny limoncello.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
It does have an interesting taste and mouth feel.

I had that same bottle about two years ago. Made a nice vesper.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I had this really tasty cocktail the other day with mushroom-flavored cognac. Is there any way to recreate that at home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Fart Car '97 posted:

1.5 Oz dry gin, 1oz grapefruit, .5 lime, 1-1.5 maraschino, a dash simple. Shake, rocks glass, top with sods. I use less maraschino if it's luxardo, because it's a more potent flavor than the cheap stuff.

You were not lying. This poo poo is delicious. I think it's my official summer drink along with my gin-limoncello tonic. Just enough bitterish-ness from the grapefruit/maraschino to balance everything. I'm not even sure the soda is mandatory!