Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Probably because of the metre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I know a lot of people joke about pipe-weed being an equivalent to weed but, just to be clear, it's tobacco right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s 100% def tobacco.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

euphronius posted:

Frodo's lament for Gandalf has the same thing

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Fun trick: you can sing an immense number of things, including "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner", much of Emily Dickinson, Madonna's 'Material Girl," etc., all to the tune of "Gilligan's Island," because they all use ballad meter

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

quote:

There is another astonishing thing about Hobbits of old that must be mentioned, an astonishing habit: they imbibed or inhaled, through pipes of clay or wood, the smoke of the burning leaves of a herb, which they called pipe-weed or leaf, a variety probably of Nicotiana.

This is Tolkien as translator speaking in the prologue. One may well be skeptical of his precise identification, as no variety of Nicotiana is native to Europe. But Tolkien has thought of this: here’s Merry’s notes on the origin of the plant.

quote:

“All the same, observations that I have made on my own many journeys south have convinced me that the weed itself is not native to our parts of the world, but came northward from the lower Anduin, whither it was, I suspect, originally brought over Sea by the Men of Westernesse. It grows abundantly in Gondor, and there is richer and larger than in the North, where it is never found wild, and flourishes only in warm sheltered places like Longbottom.”

So that’s out of the way, and there is no particular reason to suppose that it is some variety of Cannabis instead. More obviously, as depicted in the book, it does not cause a pronounced high, but rather acts as a mild stimulant and relaxant, much like tobacco.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

skasion posted:

So that’s out of the way, and there is no particular reason to suppose that it is some variety of Cannabis instead. More obviously, as depicted in the book, it does not cause a pronounced high, but rather acts as a mild stimulant and relaxant, much like tobacco.

Cool thanks. I don't smoke so I don't know how a thing can be both stimulating and relaxing but I'll leave it at that.

Also, this brings up an idea of Numenor being like the Americas then.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The real reason Gandalf didn't say anything during that meeting with Saruman is he was high as gently caress and didn't know where he was so just sat there and quietly panicked for a while

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Gandalf was entirely sober when he threatened to push a child down a well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Cool thanks. I don't smoke so I don't know how a thing can be both stimulating and relaxing but I'll leave it at that.

Also, this brings up an idea of Numenor being like the Americas then.

It is a confusing idea, known as Nesbitt’s paradox: nicotine is indubitably a stimulant and increases physiological arousal, but users tend to report that it leads to a sense of psychological relaxation. Research suggests that this sense of relaxation is kind of relative/illusory: if you smoke tobacco a lot, then you will feel bad when you’re not smoking it and good when you’re smoking it. Here’s a review on the subject. Probably has a lot to do with why Gandalf is such a jerk.

Númenor is Atlantis, straight up. If it has connections with a real-world nation then it’s probably the British Empire that we should be thinking of.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sassassin posted:

Gandalf was entirely sober when he threatened to push a child down a well.

That "child" was like thirty!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Fun trick: you can sing an immense number of things, including "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner", much of Emily Dickinson, Madonna's 'Material Girl," etc., all to the tune of "Gilligan's Island," because they all use ballad meter

Emily Dickinson is more fun to sing to The Yellow Rose of Texas.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

Emily Dickinson is more fun to sing to The Yellow Rose of Texas.

I feel like this thread would probably enjoy a good round of One Song to the Tune of Another.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

skasion posted:

It is a confusing idea, known as Nesbitt’s paradox: nicotine is indubitably a stimulant and increases physiological arousal, but users tend to report that it leads to a sense of psychological relaxation. Research suggests that this sense of relaxation is kind of relative/illusory: if you smoke tobacco a lot, then you will feel bad when you’re not smoking it and good when you’re smoking it. Here’s a review on the subject. Probably has a lot to do with why Gandalf is such a jerk.

Númenor is Atlantis, straight up. If it has connections with a real-world nation then it’s probably the British Empire that we should be thinking of.

Both those things make enough sense. Thanks!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean I personally just use the existence of tobacco and potatoes in middle earth as a reason to dismiss the narrative conceit that this is the distant past of the real world (other than y'know the fact that archaeologists have never found any elven ruins). Once you abandon that you're pretty free to not worry about it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Or the narrator was just using now familiar words for ancient and now forgotten analogs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

Mostly but not entirely. In the Letters, Tolkien talks about a recurring nightmare he had since the time he was a small child, of a great wave rising and drowning over the whole land, and how that dream was an inspiration for Númenor.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mostly but not entirely. In the Letters, Tolkien talks about a recurring nightmare he had since the time he was a small child, of a great wave rising and drowning over the whole land, and how that dream was an inspiration for Númenor.

Huh I thought it was tradition because it seems the idea of a Flood, isn't all that uncommon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Huh I thought it was tradition because it seems the idea of a Flood, isn't all that uncommon.

http://users.abo.fi/jolin/tolkien/inspirations/great_wave_the_faramirs_dream.htm

Various quotes on the subject here. It was a recurring personal nightmare he had as far back as he can remember, but one that he of course tangled up with the Flood, Atlantis, etc., as he would.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

That "child" was like thirty!

Barely out of his tweens!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean I personally just use the existence of tobacco and potatoes in middle earth as a reason to dismiss the narrative conceit that this is the distant past of the real world (other than y'know the fact that archaeologists have never found any elven ruins). Once you abandon that you're pretty free to not worry about it

It's an account from the post-apocalyptic future, sent back through time by magic (this would have been mentioned in Tolkien's dark & edgy sequel about Sauron cults spreading through New Gondor).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Obviously, we aren't talking about literal and specific potatoes and tobacco, but now-extinct relatives of those plants. If pipe weed were tobacco, he'd have translated it as tobacco; it isn't; it's a relative.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sometimes I think the events in the LOTR didn’t actually happen. But I get back on board eventually.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Obviously, we aren't talking about literal and specific potatoes and tobacco, but now-extinct relatives of those plants. If pipe weed were tobacco, he'd have translated it as tobacco; it isn't; it's a relative.
Isn't "tobacco" ultimately a term from a Native American language? So is "potato" but it's at least at one remove and Tolkien would no doubt be less familiar with South American trivia.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nessus posted:

Isn't "tobacco" ultimately a term from a Native American language? So is "potato" but it's at least at one remove and Tolkien would no doubt be less familiar with South American trivia.

Speculation: "tobacco" didn't meet Tolkien's aesthetic preferences, while "pipe-weed" is exactly the sort of Germanic compound word he would like, especially since both components appear to have been in Old English.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Should've done what the French have and called a potato a ground-apple then.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Gollum asking Sam what ground apples are makes more sense in this context.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That is unironically cool.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

skasion posted:

This is also what happens with caffeine addiction, btw. People who need a coffee/soda fix will often feel tension or get headaches and muscle soreness or develop a general “off” feeling of malaise if they go too long without their regular infusion of go-juice. :eng101:

Ynglaur posted:

That is unironically cool.

pomme de terre :eng101: :eng101:

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Electric Bugaloo posted:

pomme de terre :eng101: :eng101:

The more fitting translation would be "earth-apple", since "terre" can refer to both ground and earth, and the Dutch/Flemmish word "aardappel" translates to earth-apple, "ground apple" would be "grondappel". The French got the word from the Dutch, or the other way around.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bad Wolf posted:

The more fitting translation would be "earth-apple", since "terre" can refer to both ground and earth, and the Dutch/Flemmish word "aardappel" translates to earth-apple, "ground apple" would be "grondappel". The French got the word from the Dutch, or the other way around.

Terre can also mean soil (like the way we use “dirt”) like the Spanish “tierra” which also means ground and earth.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bad Wolf posted:

I had thought of that, and dirt-apple, but I don't think we use earth to mean dirt as often in English, and I felt it would come off as "Earth-apple" which doesn't make nearly as much sense, and dirt-apple really doesn't sound appealing, nor would soil-apple, because an added 'd' would make it soiled.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fruit of the earth ?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Taters.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

In Standard German potatoes are called "Kartoffeln" which apparently comes from the Italian "tartufolo" and originally means "small truffle" because they both grow in the ground, I guess. In some southern dialects they are also called "Erdäpfel" (earth-apples) or "Grundbirnen" (ground-pears) :3:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Here’s a passage I have never seen explained, from when Elrond sends out scouts before the company leaves Rivendell:

quote:

The sons of Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir, were the last to return; they had made a great journey, passing down the Silverlode into a strange country, but of their errand they would not speak to any save to Elrond.

Passing down the Silverlode means that the strange country must have been Lothlórien. Not an unreasonable place to go since Elrond/Aragorn/Gandalf are probably already thinking they’ll have to travel that way themselves, and it makes sense to send Elladan and Elrohir there since they’re close family of the Lady, but what would be so special about their errand there that they wouldn’t speak of it?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Here’s a passage I have never seen explained, from when Elrond sends out scouts before the company leaves Rivendell:

Passing down the Silverlode means that the strange country must have been Lothlórien. Not an unreasonable place to go since Elrond/Aragorn/Gandalf are probably already thinking they’ll have to travel that way themselves, and it makes sense to send Elladan and Elrohir there since they’re close family of the Lady, but what would be so special about their errand there that they wouldn’t speak of it?

I assumed they were personally informing Galadriel of the Fellowship's composition and plans. She might have known/perceived that anyways since her and Elrond seem to have some gifts of foresight though.

Galadriel seems to know a lot about the whole company when they meet her and seems to divine their desires. But that would likely be easier to do if she knew exactly who they were and what they were all about before they even got there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I assumed they were personally informing Galadriel of the Fellowship's composition and plans. She might have known/perceived that anyways since her and Elrond seem to have some gifts of foresight though.

They can’t have told her in so many words, because these things had not yet been decided when they left. It’s only after they return that Elrond decides on the members of the company and Gandalf and Aragorn begin to make definite plans about the route. I guess they could have just updated her on the decisions of the Council — I don’t think that elvish telepathy can operate over that kind of distance or why would they have bothered making palantiri — but I’m not sure why they bother keeping that secret from everyone but Elrond. Everyone in Rivendell important enough to care about was already at the Council and knew the plan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

I don’t think that elvish telepathy can operate over that kind of distance or why would they have bothered making palantiri

Elves didn't make the palantiri, the Numenoreans did. Galadriel just used, like, a bowl and some water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The palantiri were gifts to numenor from the noldor of eressea.