Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, Food and Wine half marathon is today. Tomorrow will be crazy as well at EPCOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Went on a date to Disney Springs and some of the resorts today. We had to use Epcot to catch a bus from Saratoga to the Boardwalk, and on the ramp out of Epcot we ended up delayed for 10 minutes because Joe loving Biden's motorcade shut down the entire road out of Disney all the way to I-4. I'll upload video later.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
He actually did a stop over at the Wyndham resort to 'freshen up' and stayed a couple of hours there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6np9clQRDQ4

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 8, 2015

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Just got a big envelope in the mail from Braks

omg less than a month out. I am SO EXCITED OMG

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Fast pass absolutely ruins every stand by line to hell. I would rather sit in a small room listening to a lecture on economics given by an old dude who stutters and has a lisp for 5 hours. For every 2 or 3 families that make it through on the sb lounge they let through a sea of fast pass.

EDIT: It was also brutally hot today, a good chance of rain fizzled to nothing and the humidity was 92% at 11.30 this morning. We just left studios and it was almost as miserable and being at the park in the middle of summer only less crowded where we were not rear end to rear end with tourists from Brazil or Argentina singing chants everywhere.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 8, 2015

Thespis
Mar 31, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

My family is here right now, I've been semi-sidelined with a stomach thing, so I haven't spent a whole lot of time in the parks (pretty much just Epcot for some F&W yesterday and Le Celier today, and Studios last night), but HOLY poo poo THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE AT EPCOT TODAY. Like, as crowded as a summer day, easily. I'm sure the races are a part of it, but it seemed like there were a lot of locals in the park this afternoon. Probably waiting for the FSU/Clemson and LSU/Bama games, a buttload of FSU and Bama fans all around (and a few hawkeyes!).

I got my hands on a Kylo Ren magic band, and my family could not have cared any less when I tried to explain who it was. "Oh he's from the new movie ok" (Yes, I am a nerd). I'm looking forward to Trader Sam's when the crowds calm down, reservations at Sanaa and the new Morimoto restaurant at the Springs, and just general Disney layabouting. It's nice after a stressful couple of months to come to Disney and relax; it's like home, but without all the responsibilities of being home.

As a local, I haven't been finding Trader Sam's terribly difficult to get in to as of late. I've been visiting with groups of 3 or 4 and we've been able to snag a table just fine later in the day.

Does the Kylo Ren magic band make any noises when you scan it on the machines?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Here's the Christmas Party MagicBand. It owns:
https://twitter.com/TheDIS/status/663510625222582272

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Leftover VM MB's go for sale at the park after the holiday season.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Fast pass absolutely ruins every stand by line to hell. I would rather sit in a small room listening to a lecture on economics given by an old dude who stutters and has a lisp for 5 hours. For every 2 or 3 families that make it through on the sb lounge they let through a sea of fast pass.

FastPass is a zero-sum game. It doesn't increase capacity at all, it just ruins the standby queues.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thespis posted:

As a local, I haven't been finding Trader Sam's terribly difficult to get in to as of late. I've been visiting with groups of 3 or 4 and we've been able to snag a table just fine later in the day.

Does the Kylo Ren magic band make any noises when you scan it on the machines?

Not that I've noticed, but I haven't been paying attention. When I get to a park tomorrow I'll listen and see.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

poolside toaster posted:

FastPass is a zero-sum game. It doesn't increase capacity at all, it just ruins the standby queues.

Yep, we have been to the parks during enough special events where the park is packed and there is no FP but the lines are reasonable. Excpet for Pan, gently caress that queue line forever.

I ran some numbers being bored in line waiting forever and at Toy Story for every 40'ish FP they allowed 10 regular queue. Watched this cycle twice while I was in a good place to take count. Not saying that is the norm at every ride but I think I will start keeping track for my own amusement when we go to the parks now. Usually we use FP but days like yesterday where we went on a whim and did fly by the seat of our pants approach like normal people and get stuck in a queue line.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

demonR6 posted:

Yep, we have been to the parks during enough special events where the park is packed and there is no FP but the lines are reasonable. Excpet for Pan, gently caress that queue line forever.

I ran some numbers being bored in line waiting forever and at Toy Story for every 40'ish FP they allowed 10 regular queue. Watched this cycle twice while I was in a good place to take count. Not saying that is the norm at every ride but I think I will start keeping track for my own amusement when we go to the parks now. Usually we use FP but days like yesterday where we went on a whim and did fly by the seat of our pants approach like normal people and get stuck in a queue line.

Even if you plan ahead, getting a FP for Toy Story is tough. Hopefully the lines will get better with the expansion.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I'm from Louisiana, so I'm used to hot and humid weather. With that being said, who knew it would be 91 degrees today. With all the decorations of Christmas and snow and hearing all the carols, I think Disney is trolling us.

Even so, it's still really cool to see all the Disney stuff for Christmas. I especially laughed at the Darth Vader ugly Christmas sweater.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm from Louisiana, so I'm used to hot and humid weather. With that being said, who knew it would be 91 degrees today. With all the decorations of Christmas and snow and hearing all the carols, I think Disney is trolling us.

Even so, it's still really cool to see all the Disney stuff for Christmas. I especially laughed at the Darth Vader ugly Christmas sweater.

Welcome to Florida. 3 months of the year will have intermittent freezing temperatures, mostly be in the 50s and 60s, and it's summer the rest of the time.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/11/disneys-hollywood-studios-to-debut-new-star-wars-experiences-in-december/

I wonder if I can fastpass this stuff

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

nimper posted:

Even if you plan ahead, getting a FP for Toy Story is tough. Hopefully the lines will get better with the expansion.

I was able to get a fast pass for toy Story as my 4th fast pass in the park on a moderately busy day, so it's not impossible.
I'm pretty neutral on fast pass vs fast pass +. I think people forget how annoying the old system was, especially if you started your day later in the afternoon. gently caress the dedicated person in a party racing past people in the park in the morning to sit at the fast pass machine swiping 8 cards to get tickets.

Fast pass + also allows for backend tampering with limits and tons of usable statistics for them to put to optimizing rides and waits.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

chitoryu12 posted:

Welcome to Florida. 3 months of the year will have intermittent freezing temperatures, mostly be in the 50s and 60s, and it's summer the rest of the time.

It actually became overcast, so it wasn't too bad. But, we split for the Polynesian around 1:00 and enjoyed the pool and all the club level snacks. Never did club level before but man, it is nice. The beach on the Poly was also very relaxing. It may have helped that the kids were in the splash pad with Braksgirl at that time. ;)

Heading back to MK tonight...hopefully the crowds thin out a bit. My oldest is wanting to ride Space Mountain. She rode it before at seven and was terrified, but she's willing to give it another try.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I stopped at Disney Springs today! It was... kinda eh, honestly. It's clear that they're not even close to finished with the place, and the giant stuff they're still in the middle of building looks nice. Marketplace was basically the same, but they changed the music and I hate it now. It used to just be a soundtrack of Disney songs, now it's weird elevator techno versions of Disney songs, and they sound really dumb. I hope they restore the classics soon, but since they're aiming for Mall Disney, I doubt they will. Pleasure IslandThe Landing was the most under construction part, and where we ate lunch. It doesn't remind me of PI anymore, which is probably for the best, and Jock Lindsay's lounge is open, though I didn't get a chance to stop.

We ate at Morimoto Asia, and it's mixed. We had some spare ribs to begin with, and they were amazing, and the Bao I had from the Dim Sum menu were also really good. Then we got the entrees, and yeeesh. The Black Pepper Steak was pretty good, served sizzling like fajitas, and were cooked well, flavored pretty nicely, if a little one note. The Orange Chicken was good, flavor-wise, but it was just strips of Chicken Tempura with sauce, served with a side of steamed Chinese Broccoli. No rice with either of these, which was a mistake, IMO. The worst part, unfortunately, was the Pork Chashu Ramen I ordered. I could tell it was not gonna be good the moment they set it down, because the broth wasn't cloudy like good ramen, but very clear, and when I tasted it, it was basically Hot Ham Water. I was a little annoyed that they included half a soy-cooked egg, because it wasn't on the menu, but I'm aware that I'm in the minority when it comes to not liking egg in my ramen, but the lack of flavor was astonishing, it was so disappointing. Normally when I get ramen from a ramen house, I need to restrain myself from just drinking the broth at the end, but I could not get through this. The waitress eyed me staring disappointedly at my bowl, and came over and asked if everything was ok, I told her what was up, and they offered to replace it, which they did, with a spicy tuna roll, which was quite good. But mannnnnn, I was so excited for ramen and it was like, sub the quality of something I could make in my apartment kitchen.

Me and my dad went to Trader Sam's later, which was excellent as always. We sat outside because we were running late and didn't get into the bar itself, but that meant I got to have a Spiky Pineapple, so all was good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar is a good place to get appetizers. My date and I stopped there for a late breakfast on Saturday. I got the sliders again, while she got the Air Pirate Pretzels.

I know they look like bagels, but they're pretzel dough all right. Just round and covered in sesame and poppy seeds. The food is a little under $10 per appetizer and the sliders have the combined mass of a generously sized burger anyway, so you can easily make a filling meal for two for under $30 with drinks included. There's also a ton of detail all over every inch of the restaurant, including some Rocketeer stuff!

And just because I want to, here's pictures of my lovely lady that day:

We went to the hat store they opened near the Hangar, but I temporarily declined purchasing a $45 hat for her.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 10, 2015

Thespis
Mar 31, 2011

Guys, my heart hurts. They're discontinuing Star Wars Weekends! :vince:

I should've seen it coming. With Star Wars soon to have a completely permanent home at MGM, it would make sense to get rid of the event that implies to the General Public that 5 weekends in the busiest/hottest time of year are the only chances to see Chewbacca. I just hope that this new "Season of the Force" thing that we have no idea about will make up for this great loss. I need to be able to see my Boba Fett :(

On the flipside, we'll be getting a new scene taking place during The Force Awakens in Star Tours, the Star Wars Launch Bay will be opening sometime soon (where you can get your year round fix of Chewie and Vader pics), and they're also making the ABC theater home to something called Path of the Jedi, which will be some sort of clip montage of all the important Star Wars stuff so all those dumb girls can be up to speed :hchatter: .

Overall, I'm interested to see when they will actually put up those construction walls and break ground, and how this tiny little park is going to keep me entertained throughout all of it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So apparently Jock's Hangar Bar actually has references to more than one (currently Disney-owned) property in it. I mentioned the Rocketeer, but there's also references to Iron Man and Star Wars in the decoration. The "logbook" menu and decoration also reference Indiana Jones adventures from the comics, Young Indiana Jones TV series, and novels. It's a detail hunter's dream and you can spend drat near an hour just looking for every single thing hidden in it.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I have a friend that's high level disney and she said she was in a meeting recently with a lot of the suits in charge of planning/building the new Star Wars lands and she made a joke that a food vendor should be called Admiral SNACKbar's … and nobody in the room got the joke.

We're doomed. :ohdear:

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

chitoryu12 posted:

Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar is a good place to get appetizers. My date and I stopped there for a late breakfast on Saturday. I got the sliders again, while she got the Air Pirate Pretzels.

I know they look like bagels, but they're pretzel dough all right. Just round and covered in sesame and poppy seeds. The food is a little under $10 per appetizer and the sliders have the combined mass of a generously sized burger anyway, so you can easily make a filling meal for two for under $30 with drinks included. There's also a ton of detail all over every inch of the restaurant, including some Rocketeer stuff!

Did they make a VROOOOM sound as they delivered it to your table? That was one of the Hangar highlights for us, the downside drinking that gross green revenge drink only to find out they didn't yet have the snake piks shown yet. (seriously, that green drink is horrible).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Old Man Pants posted:

Did they make a VROOOOM sound as they delivered it to your table? That was one of the Hangar highlights for us, the downside drinking that gross green revenge drink only to find out they didn't yet have the snake piks shown yet. (seriously, that green drink is horrible).

C'mon son, you should know better than to drink something containing Midori. That's some foul poo poo.

Actually, the Jock Lindsay menu doesn't look quite as good as the Trader Sam's one (though that could be because I'm a tiki drink lover through and through), but there are a couple drinks on there that pique my interest, and the food looks better all around as well. I might have to stop by tonight after my parents take off just to have a drink and check it out.

Also, this is almost certainly a long-shot, but there's not a bar on the resort that will be playing the republican debate tonight, right? I need to watch it, and I'd love to watch it with people, but if there's one thing that's never going to get play at Disney, it's politics.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

demonR6 posted:

Peter Pan's recent-ish queue line expansion seems horrifyingly claustrophobic to me. I hate that thing; plus the kids are always trying to mess with the props.

I've been playing the counting game when I've been bored in the standby lines. When the FP+ line gets backed up then it's usually around 35-45 FP+ guests for every 8-12 standby guests. If the FP+ line is short then it's pretty much an even split. The worst was Dinosaur when the FP+ line was incredibly long and never seemed to thin out. The CM would let one or two families from the standby line into the pre-show and the rest was FP+. That was torture.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You have actually validated what I did when we were at Toy Story this weekend. More or less the same number too.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah they typically have a few different phases so they can adjust as needed. With the FP+ line backed up like that, it ends up being near 90/10.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Thespis posted:

Guys, my heart hurts. They're discontinuing Star Wars Weekends! :vince:

I should've seen it coming. With Star Wars soon to have a completely permanent home at MGM, it would make sense to get rid of the event that implies to the General Public that 5 weekends in the busiest/hottest time of year are the only chances to see Chewbacca. I just hope that this new "Season of the Force" thing that we have no idea about will make up for this great loss. I need to be able to see my Boba Fett :(

On the flipside, we'll be getting a new scene taking place during The Force Awakens in Star Tours, the Star Wars Launch Bay will be opening sometime soon (where you can get your year round fix of Chewie and Vader pics), and they're also making the ABC theater home to something called Path of the Jedi, which will be some sort of clip montage of all the important Star Wars stuff so all those dumb girls can be up to speed :hchatter: .

Overall, I'm interested to see when they will actually put up those construction walls and break ground, and how this tiny little park is going to keep me entertained throughout all of it.

Actually, I think they've just noted that Weekends is not happening while construction is going on. I imagine that once they're done and attractions are open, it'll be back to normal. I mean, it's a relatively cheap way to get some thousands of people to come to the parks and come in droves to buy merch. Plus, when the marketing machine for Ep. 8 ramps up again, there's no way that they won't be selling novelty drinks based on Hutt-based-puns with a complementary poster for $38 bucks one week only buy now.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What I have understood from my internal sources that SWW is done forever. The addition of the new area they have no interest to continue with SWW because they have this dedicated area. Sure they can change their mind again if they feel like they can profit from it, but otherwise stick a fork in it. I have a really good source.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

demonR6 posted:

What I have understood from my internal sources that SWW is done forever. The addition of the new area they have no interest to continue with SWW because they have this dedicated area. Sure they can change their mind again if they feel like they can profit from it, but otherwise stick a fork in it. I have a really good source.

That's really disappointing. I've never been to the event myself, but it seems like Disney had a good thing going with it. I don't understand, are they trying to consolidate everything within the brand into that area? They've never done that before, Star Wars merch is anywhere in the parks that are even remotely space-themed, and like someone said before, Universal allows Harry Potter stuff outside of Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley during their Celebrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Circutron posted:

That's really disappointing. I've never been to the event myself, but it seems like Disney had a good thing going with it. I don't understand, are they trying to consolidate everything within the brand into that area? They've never done that before, Star Wars merch is anywhere in the parks that are even remotely space-themed, and like someone said before, Universal allows Harry Potter stuff outside of Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley during their Celebrations.

Might be because all the unique stuff can now be rotated in and out of a permanent part of the park, like all the characters and special merchandise.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

demonR6 posted:

It makes sense for them to do that, although I will miss the storm troopers patrolling on top of the entrances. I always thought that was a nice touch.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Not sure if anyone saw this yet:
Drunk Man Climbs Mexico Pavilion at Epcot

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
Leaving for the airport in 3 hours. I should really be trying to grab at least a short nap, but pretty certain that isn't going to happen.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Man, this is the first time we've done the QS dining plan, and it is crazy how much food you get. Last night, we ate at AoA, and we had two trays full of entrees, sides, drinks, and desserts. With five of us, that's an enormous amount of food, and we saved some for later.

On another note, the Osbourne lights are beautiful. If you like having a Griswold Christmas, try to check it out. It was worth braving two cranky kids easily. ;)

Other last thing..it may just be me, but there seems to be a lot more scooters in the park than when I went two years ago. It must be a booming business. (No pun intended.) It seems that it would be hard to navigate the lines in those things.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Yoshifan823 posted:

C'mon son, you should know better than to drink something containing Midori. That's some foul poo poo.

Actually, the Jock Lindsay menu doesn't look quite as good as the Trader Sam's one (though that could be because I'm a tiki drink lover through and through), but there are a couple drinks on there that pique my interest, and the food looks better all around as well. I might have to stop by tonight after my parents take off just to have a drink and check it out.

IMO food is better at hangar, drinks are better at sam's. Hangar is still trying to get its footing/stock/training though, so it may be an even race soon.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
arrrggg Im starting to get nervous

I had everything carefully planned out. All my fast passes and plans for each day

and now Seasons of the Force will be just opened during my trip. And now Im wondering if I should try to switch my morning at AK to a morning at HS. And it sucks because I wish i could see what fastpasses are available that morning at HS before committing to giving up my AK ones

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

So somewhat park related...

I hate the Disney Store. Or more I hate their bullshit with shipping to Canada, and the fact that we don't have access to the shop Disney parks app.

I'm pretty sure I went through the pain in the rear end that was getting my daughter a Shellie May bear for Christmas while we were down in Disney World the last week of October. My big problem now, my daughter has said she wants to ask Santa for Shellie May's Christmas outfit. I did not buy the Christmas outfit, I bought the princess outfit since it was one of the two available at the Contemporary when I bought the bear.

So I'm like "I'll order it from the Disney store". Out of everything on the Disney store, you want to guess what they don't ship to Canada? Duffy & Shellie May bears/accessories. Who the gently caress knows why, but they don't.

Had I had access to the shop disney parks app I could have bought/got it delivered to the resort while we were there. But no... Canadians can't be trusted with ordering stuff from an app, so I needed to go on a secret spy mission for a loving bear.

I'm sure I can convince my daughter to just ask for a non-specific costume and be happy with what she gets, but it's annoying as poo poo that I can't just order the other outfit and have it shipped. Maybe it contains baby poisons or some poo poo we don't allow in Canada.

On the bright side I guess I don't have to deal with our UPS delivery person who has hosed up every time I've ordered something from the Disney store. Also don't have to pay $40 for shipping something that costs $23. Which I guess is good :)

Thus ends my rant about Disney Store/Shop Disney Parks app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
Oh Disney World guests. Good to see you haven't changed.

Room isn't ready, so I headed down to Disney Springs to await the arrival of my travel companion. Waiting in line at Earl of Sandwich and there is a poor lost girl crying in the dining area. An employee comes over and does a wonderful job comforting her while he radios whomever about the situation.

5-6 minutes go by (this line is stupid long) and finally this whale of a mother comes storming around the corner "WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN. COME WITH ME NOW" and literally drags the girl off by the wrist without a single thank you or acknowledgement to the guy who took care of her daughter when she was scared.

Oh this should be a wonderful trip :-)