Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rauthane
Dec 23, 2001
goat!
I played quite a few games last night vs the AI and the game doesn't feel rushed, but there are still a few bugs in it. The only issue I came across was occasionally when I dropped influence into countries the graphics would hang and I'd have to wait maybe 10 seconds for the influence to actually drop into the country's box to continue.

The AI is serviceable but it doesn't follow the same strategy or decisions a human would so don't expect the game to play out in a typical fashion. Out of the five games that I played as the US, I think that the AI used the China card to either coup the Philippines on turn one or drop influence into ME countries 4/5 times and it definitely ignores using coups to control DEFCON unless there's a card in its hand that prioritizes a country or region for scoring. Despite that I still enjoyed my games and it's a nice way to play more TS if you don't get to play many face to face games or don't feel like playing an opponent online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

blackmongoose posted:

I am always up for a game of TK.
Wanna do something this weekend?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I just ordered the Western Front module of the Der Weltkrieg series. Here I come, Joffre!

It just arrived in shrink...

without a map

:(

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
GMT games just added a bunch of stuff to their Specials section. Nothing stood out to me, but maybe one of you will find something you like?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Taran_Wanderer posted:

GMT games just added a bunch of stuff to their Specials section. Nothing stood out to me, but maybe one of you will find something you like?

Not gonna lie, I almost laughed when I saw the one named Dead of Winter.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

Wanna do something this weekend?

Definitely. Sunday?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sure, what time? I might have someone come over to play OCS but I'll let you know (tomdidiot email meeee)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just received ASL Annual '91, seeing the difference in price is astounding. There's a giant campaign game playthrough of Red Barricades that makes me wish: I had it to play; someone to play it with. :(

COOL CORN, I think its got some rare scenarios. I don't think they've been reprinted, anyways.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

Sure, what time? I might have someone come over to play OCS but I'll let you know (tomdidiot email meeee)
Let's see - I'm available starting around 10am my time which I think would be 3pm your time. I should be available the whole day after that, so whatever works for you (I would prefer close to that time though).

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I'm tempted by Blackbeard, but a lot of negative BGG reviews say it's far too luck-driven.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

taser rates posted:

Not gonna lie, I almost laughed when I saw the one named Dead of Winter.

That's the dead of winter I always think of first. I tried to read the rule book awhile ago, but gave up when it said the stacking limit was 4. Unless you wanted to do more, then just pile on more and use these chits to mark a bigger line.

I think I've come along far enough in war gaming now for that not to bother me as much.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just received ASL Annual '91, seeing the difference in price is astounding. There's a giant campaign game playthrough of Red Barricades that makes me wish: I had it to play; someone to play it with. :(

COOL CORN, I think its got some rare scenarios. I don't think they've been reprinted, anyways.

I have all the ASL Annual scenarios ;) but RE: Red Barricades, people have said that not only is it their favorite ASL experience, but it's a lot of peoples' favorite wargaming experience period. I've always wanted to play it but I have enough trouble playing a small scenario.

I... I think I actually have every scenario MMP & AH have put out... My scenario scans folder is around 2 gigs.

Edit-- I think Festung Budapest is the only product I don't have.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 14, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I have all the ASL Annual scenarios ;) but RE: Red Barricades, people have said that not only is it their favorite ASL experience, but it's a lot of peoples' favorite wargaming experience period. I've always wanted to play it but I have enough trouble playing a small scenario.

I... I think I actually have every scenario MMP & AH have put out... My scenario scans folder is around 2 gigs.

Define trouble with small scenarios? I always run out of time when playing with the local group because the guy I play against is also new, so we spend a ton of time checking rules to make sure we don't forget stuff or make illegal plays. That and the usual strategizing and setting up play.

I should really take you up on the VASSAL offer at some point... Maybe once I get a more stable work schedule :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Define trouble with small scenarios? I always run out of time when playing with the local group because the guy I play against is also new, so we spend a ton of time checking rules to make sure we don't forget stuff or make illegal plays. That and the usual strategizing and setting up play.

I should really take you up on the VASSAL offer at some point... Maybe once I get a more stable work schedule :(

Oh mostly I mean trouble as in finding opponents and finding time to play. Playing a huge map scenario that takes weeks of playtime is... out of the question.

But one of these days I'll take you up on a game! As lonng as it's a 1/2 map or 1 map scenario... I can only stare at my screen for so long @_@

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Oh mostly I mean trouble as in finding opponents and finding time to play. Playing a huge map scenario that takes weeks of playtime is... out of the question.

Roll some dice, I want to see you fail your MC.

Oh, I have China-Burma-India: The Lost Theater coming in the mail. Will the 3rd-Party Campaign Game be as competent and amazing as I've heard?

:ohdear:

Edit:
CC, even if it takes me 80 years, I plan on playing every scenario I own at least once.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

CC, even if it takes me 80 years, I plan on playing every scenario I own at least once.

80 years? Slow down there, Speed Racer, you're being kinda optimistic aren't you?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

80 years? Slow down there, Speed Racer, you're being kinda optimistic aren't you?

I figure I'll win the lottery and then switch over to playing ASL as a profession :smuggo:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

CaptainRightful posted:

I'm tempted by Blackbeard, but a lot of negative BGG reviews say it's far too luck-driven.

I think I've played the first edition and thought it was pretty interesting. Definitely not really a war game--some interesting stuff going on, though. Like, the turn structure is somewhat random--you draw from a deck of cards that have a lot of information on them, one piece of which is whose turn it is. So, you may not have a turn for a few turns in a row, but this is to represent the long periods of downtime actual pirate crews had.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

blackmongoose posted:

Let's see - I'm available starting around 10am my time which I think would be 3pm your time. I should be available the whole day after that, so whatever works for you (I would prefer close to that time though).
Alright I will be free from 3 pm my time, also if anyone is interested in spectating let us know!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Alright I will be free from 3 pm my time, also if anyone is interested in spectating let us know!

What a bunch of voyeurs we are.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

On the topic of Red Barricades: I was lucky enough to get a copy a year or so ago on Ebay (for a shockingly reasonable price) and I can confirm it's pretty great. Haven't done that much of the campaign game, but one of the scenarios (don't remember the name) was one of my all time favourites. Driving rain and nothing but a single street separating the German and Russian factories = a memorable experience.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I would maybe recommend not bothering to try and play without making mistakes, especially early on and if you're having timing troubles. The way my group plays is that we just do what seems most logical, and if I can be bothered I'll go back and check the rules post-game. Sure it's a more long-term learning experience, but ASL is such a strong system that you can basically play 50% of the rules wrong and it's still great.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
As a Euro thinking of trying a COIN game, is trying to get on a P500 the best way to go about it, or do they ship an extra load to stores here anyway. I don't know if I'm too late for the Cuba Libre print, but thought that might be worth treating myself to as I like the theme, it plays 1-2 people and I know someone else who'd be up for it so covered for solo and comp.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you are in the EU/UK, don't bother with P500:

- You WILL lose money unless you are lucky
- GMT will also lose money on shipping
- You don't get the game any sooner than you would if you had just bought from an EU/UK retailer (board game guru is especially good about getting GMT games on time).

Just wait, seriously, it is the best option for all involved.

This was my experience:

Tekopo posted:

Well, my one experience with P500 has confirmed that it is not worth P500ing for me.

Payed 55 dollars for FitL, 30 dollars for P&P and 35 dollars at customs. Yeah, no.
I paid 85 pounds for FitL in total. If you are lucky you might be able to get it for recommended retail price. Don't P500

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

INinja132 posted:

I would maybe recommend not bothering to try and play without making mistakes, especially early on and if you're having timing troubles. The way my group plays is that we just do what seems most logical, and if I can be bothered I'll go back and check the rules post-game. Sure it's a more long-term learning experience, but ASL is such a strong system that you can basically play 50% of the rules wrong and it's still great.

The guy I'm playing with seems to prefer checking rules so I just roll with it. Neither of us have a lot of time to devote to ASL so we were incredibly rusty the second time we played eachother, which contributed to a lot of lost time. We keep playing the same scenario, which really helps keep things familiar and I'm pretty confident in saying we've made all the mistakes we could possibly learn from at this point, haha.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The guy I'm playing with seems to prefer checking rules so I just roll with it. Neither of us have a lot of time to devote to ASL so we were incredibly rusty the second time we played eachother, which contributed to a lot of lost time. We keep playing the same scenario, which really helps keep things familiar and I'm pretty confident in saying we've made all the mistakes we could possibly learn from at this point, haha.

I go so long between games that I basically just stick to infantry-only scenarios because I can't be arsed to remember all the vehicle rules :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I go so long between games that I basically just stick to infantry-only scenarios because I can't be arsed to remember all the vehicle rules :(

Same :v: Although, I really want to learn because there are some cool small scenarios that involve a small number of squads and AFVs. One in particular is something like 4 Armoured Cars vs 3 Panzer IIIs and it just looks so fast and fun :getin:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Tekopo posted:

If you are in the EU/UK, don't bother with P500:

Holy crud. That's insane. Yes, if BGGuru are going to be getting a shipment, I'll sign up to get an email when they get some in. That's crazy stuff.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Fat Turkey posted:

Holy crud. That's insane. Yes, if BGGuru are going to be getting a shipment, I'll sign up to get an email when they get some in. That's crazy stuff.

I mean, if you feel like subsidising USPS or Royal Mail, it's a good option...

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Not sure if this is the right thread, but based on the comment in the OP about shitloads of counters, here goes. I know we have a bundle of Star Fleet Battles guys around here, but has anyone played Federation and Empire? If so, what'd you think? How'd it feel? Any notably good/bad mechanics?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Remora posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but based on the comment in the OP about shitloads of counters, here goes. I know we have a bundle of Star Fleet Battles guys around here, but has anyone played Federation and Empire? If so, what'd you think? How'd it feel? Any notably good/bad mechanics?

Read this and you'll get a grasp as to how insane this thing is.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Oldstench posted:

quote:

I have nearly 70k F&E counters and can supply two full games at a Con.

:stare:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Oldstench posted:

This is neat, but I was hoping for more of an analysis than a description.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Has one of you tried to play a coin game on tabletop simulator?
How does that compare to vassal?

On a side note, I find it amusing to see the workshop has CL, FIL and AA but not ADP.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
So I played Virgin Queen yesterday, after a four-hour teaching session / dry run the previous day. We finished...two turns in seven hours. :regd09:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So the Federation and Empire talk reminded me that I have a copy of Federation Commander banging around. Does anyone play that? I might try to put a Vassal module together for it if there's any interest. I've gotten to play it once in the 11 years I've had it.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Caedar posted:

So I played Virgin Queen yesterday, after a four-hour teaching session / dry run the previous day. We finished...two turns in seven hours. :regd09:

That seems a bit excessive, even for VQ. Did you have a full complement of players?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

P500 for mounted mapboards for USE, you guys know you want to do it, c'mon!

Also possibly one of the few P500s that make sense for me to get.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Tekopo posted:

P500 for mounted mapboards for USE, you guys know you want to do it, c'mon!

Also possibly one of the few P500s that make sense for me to get.

P500'd it the day I got the email. Would it be going to far to frame the old paper maps once I get them though?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

unicr0n posted:

P500'd it the day I got the email. Would it be going to far to frame the old paper maps once I get them though?
Going too far? It's almost expected :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

kalthir posted:

That seems a bit excessive, even for VQ. Did you have a full complement of players?

We generally finish a turn an hour in VQ. Which is slow, but not unbearably slow. 2 turns in 7 hours seems excessive.