Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I find skull trap to be a bigger loss than horrid wilting. A squincer with 3 skull traps does 45d6 worth of magic damage. Stick a protection from magical energy on your tank and you can toss them out with impunity. With improved alacrity you can machine gun them with the robe of vecna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Iretep posted:

Last I checked ADHW does not hit friendlies.
Just remember to file this away if you every play IWD. I have made the mistake coming off of BG2 of throwing an ADHW at a group already engaged with my front line and then oh god why do all my fighters have 10 hp left.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Decrepus posted:

I played BG2 on and off since I was a pup and I never finished the Harper's quest. Shameful I know.
It was bugged to poo poo pre-EE so it's no wonder, really.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I thought horrid wilting was a cloud effect! In fact, I've always thought that. That's why I never used it. What then is the higher level cloudkill style spell?

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

pmchem posted:

For what it's worth I don't see any reference to that in the new bg1ee 1.3 patch notes. Can't be bothered to check 1.2. That thread makes it seem like the problem only existed in bg2ee?

Under Minor Fixes in Patch 1.3

quote:

- Non-party characters now receive proper bonuses and penalties for their weapon proficiencies (or lack thereof)

So yes, this was *just* fixed in BG:EE and it will be fixed in the upcoming BG2:EE patch as well.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Taear posted:

I thought horrid wilting was a cloud effect! In fact, I've always thought that. That's why I never used it. What then is the higher level cloudkill style spell?

There isn't one, unless you want to consider Incendiary Cloud to be it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Taear posted:

Death Fog

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

fong posted:

Death Fog

I stand corrected - I'd forgotten about that one.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
The greatest deal ever is active again! All the Infinity Engine games + Temple of Elemental Evil for 5 bux.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

They don't have the stuff from the Enhanced Edition but gently caress it, it is the best possible bang for your buck in terms of games.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

ExHumus posted:

Under Minor Fixes in Patch 1.3

So yes, this was *just* fixed in BG:EE and it will be fixed in the upcoming BG2:EE patch as well.

Is there any news as to when BG2EE patch is coming out?

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Sorry to doublepost, but does anyone know where to find the pieces of the flail in De'Arnise keep? I have the Fire and the Cold pieces. I've already completed the quest and the keep belongs to me. I figured the damaged door that leads into the cool room with the curved couches that you can't access until you beat the quest would have it, but there's just a maid and nothing else.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Callick posted:

Sorry to doublepost, but does anyone know where to find the pieces of the flail in De'Arnise keep? I have the Fire and the Cold pieces. I've already completed the quest and the keep belongs to me. I figured the damaged door that leads into the cool room with the curved couches that you can't access until you beat the quest would have it, but there's just a maid and nothing else.

Glaicen should have had it on him. There's a known bug in BG2EE where he doesn't drop it; just console it in if it bugged out for you.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
Did the patch fix any of the multiplayer bugs (especially crashing on load/map change)? I don't see anything obvious in the patch notes.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Arivia posted:

Glaicen should have had it on him. There's a known bug in BG2EE where he doesn't drop it; just console it in if it bugged out for you.

I don't remember an NPC named Glaicen. :-/ How do I console?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Callick posted:

I don't remember an NPC named Glaicen. :-/ How do I console?

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24300/clua-console-for-bg2ee

The item code for the acid head is BLUN14C, so once you have the console open in game, type in C:CreateItem("BLUN14C",1) and press Enter. The head should appear in the inventory of the first character you have selected.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He's the mind controlled guard on the second floor of the Keep.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Arivia posted:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24300/clua-console-for-bg2ee

The item code for the acid head is BLUN14C, so once you have the console open in game, type in C:CreateItem("BLUN14C",1) and press Enter. The head should appear in the inventory of the first character you have selected.

Thank you!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Callick posted:

Is there any news as to when BG2EE patch is coming out?

According to the devs, soon. So... probably around the time Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition comes out, which will be nice because I expect that to be horribly buggy on launch too.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I'm guessing if the patch comes out i'll have to restart my run through :smith:

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

According to the devs, soon. So... probably around the time Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition comes out, which will be nice because I expect that to be horribly buggy on launch too.

You joke about this but BG:EE 1.2 came out around the time BG2:EE came out. So ultimately not all that unlikely.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tzarnal posted:

You joke about this but BG:EE 1.2 came out around the time BG2:EE came out. So ultimately not all that unlikely.

Does that mean Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition will be fixed by the time Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced Edition comes out?

memento mori
May 4, 2008
Forget all that, where's bg2 android?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

memento mori posted:

Forget all that, where's bg2 android?

I know gemrb (the infinity engine reimplementation) worked on android at some point, could be worth a try

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ok, I'm starting a no-spoiler, no-walkthrough, run through of BG1EE 1.3 tonight. Core difficulty. Just made it out of the Friendly Arms Inn with what I presume are the 3 standard companions.

Haven't played BG1 or 2 before.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pmchem posted:

ok, I'm starting a no-spoiler, no-walkthrough, run through of BG1EE 1.3 tonight. Core difficulty. Just made it out of the Friendly Arms Inn with what I presume are the 3 standard companions.

Haven't played BG1 or 2 before.

I was going to post a response to this, but if you really want a no spoiler play through, you shouldn't be reading this thread at all.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I was going to post a response to this, but if you really want a no spoiler play through, you shouldn't be reading this thread at all.

Aw, it's too much fun. I know this thread is long beyond using spoiler tags, but most of the things I've read are just names that have no meaning for me, so not really spoilers. I'm also using the web if I get stuck on something odd, like, I just rescued Dynaheir and at first couldn't find her and was trying to enter a place that has no door (after killing all the monsters).

Had one really hard fight after leaving the Nashkel Mines, where a group was trying to kill me. Otherwise it's been smooth sailing with the occasional reload when a party member dies. Not reloading for HP rolls or other stuff. I think I'll figure out how to deal with party member death soon, if that's possible in Core difficulty, and try not to reload for that either. We'll see.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I just finished Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. Is there anything I need to grab besides the skill books/golden pantaloons before I transfer my character? Should I try to reach a certain level? Right now my Swashbuckler is level 8.

The way I beat BG1 was kinda cheap. I used a traditional party but when I got to the final boss I just lured him to my group and dog piled on him. I took Xan, Garrick, Imoen, Minsc (left Dyn at the Inn), and Branwen all the way to the end. People say Xan is terrible but I enjoyed using him the most next to my main and Imoen. I could never figure out how to use Garrick very well because he would only sing out of combat and whenever the party was feared he was often caught in it as well.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 11, 2014

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Xan can cast all the spells you need (sleep, blindness, hold person, haste) so he's far from terrible. Maybe compared to Edwin but who isn't.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I could never figure out how to use Garrick very well because he would only sing out of combat and whenever the party was feared he was often caught in it as well.

Garrick's okay as a quickslot monkey, he should really be using up all your wands, potions, and necklaces of missiles rather than using the anemic BG1 bardsong.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Finished my first playthrough of BG:EE, it's alright I guess, end up skipping the ToTSC content and went straight to the final quests. Sometimes it felt a bit of a slog, but I see why people who enjoys the exploration component of it likes it a lot. I still prefer BG2 as I feel it's a tighter experience but BG1 was still an enjoyable experience in short bursts.

Now I've started playing IWD2, still doing the prologue. How I should build my fighter in this game? Which types of weapons are relevant or worth investing feats into them?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

Garrick's okay as a quickslot monkey, he should really be using up all your wands, potions, and necklaces of missiles rather than using the anemic BG1 bardsong.

Yeah he used wands (especially fear wands) a lot during my run. I suppose the bg2 bard song is superior?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 12, 2014

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Angry Lobster posted:

Finished my first playthrough of BG:EE, it's alright I guess, end up skipping the ToTSC content and went straight to the final quests. Sometimes it felt a bit of a slog, but I see why people who enjoys the exploration component of it likes it a lot. I still prefer BG2 as I feel it's a tighter experience but BG1 was still an enjoyable experience in short bursts.

Now I've started playing IWD2, still doing the prologue. How I should build my fighter in this game? Which types of weapons are relevant or worth investing feats into them?

Depends if you want to min max or not. Just making a pure fighter with the weapon proficiency and specialization feats with axes or great swords will work. However, Going something like Fighter 1->cleric will be infinitely more effective because of the cleric's ability to self buff. Regardless you want to have high strength, constitution, and 12 dexterity. Only 12 dex because full plate caps out with a +1 ac due to dex bonus. If you go the cleric route dump charisma and pump wisdom too. IWD2 is unique in the infinity engine games because charisma actually effects turn undead, but as a front liner your guy will be turning undead into paste using an axe.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah he used wands (especially fear wands) a lot during my run. I suppose the bg2 bard song is superior?

In BG2 it will still be terrible until you get the Bard song HLA. Rogue Rebalancing is, in my opinion, a must-have if you want a bard that is actually useful.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I just got a mail stating that the Patch 1.3 for BGEE Is Now Available!
gently caress is beamdog terrible.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I just got a mail stating that the Patch 1.3 for BGEE Is Now Available!
gently caress is beamdog terrible.

To correct some criticism from myself earlier in the thread, they're aren't super-turbo ridiculously terrible. At least, not specifically about Intel Haswell iGPUs.

Turns out, there was a Windows update from early summer that was marked as "Optional" when I was checking through stuff before an update/restart cycle. I can confirm that BG:EE is functional on Win8.1 with the HD4600, and that problem wasn't Beamdog's fault. Played it for a few hours to kill time one night, and found no problems.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MegaGatts posted:

Depends if you want to min max or not. Just making a pure fighter with the weapon proficiency and specialization feats with axes or great swords will work. However, Going something like Fighter 1->cleric will be infinitely more effective because of the cleric's ability to self buff. Regardless you want to have high strength, constitution, and 12 dexterity. Only 12 dex because full plate caps out with a +1 ac due to dex bonus. If you go the cleric route dump charisma and pump wisdom too. IWD2 is unique in the infinity engine games because charisma actually effects turn undead, but as a front liner your guy will be turning undead into paste using an axe.

There's a mod out there for IWD2 (I can't find the link right now) that makes numerous good changes, one of which is that heavy armour actually reduces incoming damage rather than just AC = chance to avoid. This makes heavy-armoured muscled types more viable. IWD2 (and 3rd edition to a slightly lesser extent) is such that medium- to light-armoured characters with very high Dexterity have the best defence, which is odd. This mod makes it so that steel-plated tanks get hit more often but take less damage (and have more HP in general), while lighter characters get hit less often percentage-wise but take more damage when they do. To each his own, of course, but I like that and think that it makes a lot of sense.

Fake Edit: Just came to me... it's the Icewind Dale 2 Ease-of-Use mod.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm thinking about replaying from start to finish again. I've never had a really successful mage run, though. I guess I have a mental block with them from when I was a kid and had a lot of trouble with them game. Even now I basically treat them as wands of Breach and Dispel, and I want to change that by making my main character a mage.

So what are the Mage 101 lessons I should be learning to set my character on the road to being a game-breaking demigod?

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 13, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I'm thinking about replaying from start to finish again. I've never had a really successful mage run, though. I guess I have a mental block with them from when I was a kid and had a lot of trouble with them game. Even now I basically treat them as wands of Breach and Dispel, and I want to change that by making my main character a mage.

So what are the Mage 101 lessons I should be learning to set my character on the road to being a game-breaking demigod?

Play a wild mage and resist the urge reload just because a spell goes weird. I once saved my party because a wild surge made 8 squirrels instead of doing what a wanted against a very powerful monster, it meant he spent 8 rounds killing individual squirrels and that gave me the breathing room I needed to regroup.

Otherwise, remember to use Sleep in early BG1, depending on the rest of your party Haste will often cause more damage then Fireball, and Slow is great to cast in most situations as well.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Action Jackson! posted:

In BG2 it will still be terrible until you get the Bard song HLA. Rogue Rebalancing is, in my opinion, a must-have if you want a bard that is actually useful.

Skeleton warriors @ 1 million XP is pretty useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So when is the last time I can visit the Battle Square in IWD2? You can give mild spoilers if you like. Seems to make sense to finish it as late as possible.