Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Munkeymon posted:

code:
// n is the cha----ters avaialbe in _charBuffer
:confused:

Many of these are misspelled words that contain a bad word inside. Their replacement tool tries to be smart, so it doesn't replace the middle of a word if that word is in a known dictionary. For example, "assembly" becomes "assembly" while "assebly" becomes "----ebly". I think "cha----ters" was probably "characeters".

edit: I want to emphasize this one, though: {"----n (Former Yugoslav Republic of ----)", "mk-MK"},

They censored Macedonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Bognar posted:

Many of these are misspelled words that contain a bad word inside. Their replacement tool tries to be smart, so it doesn't replace the middle of a word if that word is in a known dictionary. For example, "assembly" becomes "assembly" while "assebly" becomes "----ebly". I think "cha----ters" was probably "characeters".

edit: I want to emphasize this one, though: {"----n (Former Yugoslav Republic of ----)", "mk-MK"},

They censored Macedonia.

It also contains 'ace' :v: Some people get real mad if you don't use the 'right' word for where they live and/or are from, so that's understandable in that context.

What the heck is 'ace' a slur for?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Bognar posted:

They censored Macedonia.

Macedonia is a big thing for Greeks

The replacement tool just flags poo poo and a lot of it is political party acronyms

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bognar posted:

I think "cha----ters" was probably "characeters".

I was thinking maybe "chareichters"

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

What the heck is 'ace' a slur for?

What kind of acehole doesn't know that!?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Bognar posted:

They censored Macedonia.
GeoPol checks everything release publically.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So I tried deploying some of my apps to the Xbox with the new Xbox UWP dev stuff, but I can't get SQLite to load

code:
An exception of type 'System.DllNotFoundException' occurred in SQLite.Net.Platform.WinRT.dll but was not handled in user code

Additional information: Unable to load DLL 'sqlite3': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
Now, this stuff does run on desktop, phone, and IoT, so I'm not sure why Xbox would be throwing that it can't find the DLL. Any reason for that?

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 31, 2016

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

So I tried deploying some of my apps to the Xbox with the new Xbox UWP dev stuff, but I can't get SQLite to load

code:
An exception of type 'System.DllNotFoundException' occurred in SQLite.Net.Platform.WinRT.dll but was not handled in user code

Additional information: Unable to load DLL 'sqlite3': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
Now, this stuff does run on desktop, phone, and IoT, so I'm not sure why Xbox would be throwing that it can't find the DLL. Any reason for that?

I don't know if they've changed how they are linking the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime in SQLite recently, but older versions of SQLite have a dependency on a Visual C++ runtime redistributable.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So Xamarin is free for every Visual Studio user, even the community edition.

This is so awesome........

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
That's a huge deal. I've talked to a lot of people in Xamarin circles, and the sentiment that's been echoed for years is "this is great, but the price is impeding adoption". Well that's now thrown completely out of the window. Using .NET is now the best way to target multiple mobile platforms with a native app (without having to rely on JavaScript, anyway).

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I and everyone else here are really glad you feel that way. Getting this stuff ready has been nuts, but getting it out to everyone now is awesome.

Awesome times for C# and mobile. :)

Edit: BTW it's not just VS, you can use it ion the Mac too for free.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 31, 2016

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah, this is such an awesome change.

I am glad that I put some time into learning this stuff already.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Maybe with Xamarin in the Microsoft wheel house we could get a WPF / Xamarin.Forms replacement that works cross platform on the Desktop.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

xgalaxy posted:

Maybe with Xamarin in the Microsoft wheel house we could get a WPF / Xamarin.Forms replacement that works cross platform on the Desktop.

Seeing that forms will be open sourced soon... Totally possible.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I just hope you guys get to keep your vision.......

That MS felt the need to buy you guys should tell you enough about the validity of their own cross platform vision.......

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
anyone feel like trying to do as much as possible in xaml when doing wpf is like taking a cheeze grater to your genitals

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
So if I can use Xamarin for free why would I go and make a UWP app?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Baloogan posted:

anyone feel like trying to do as much as possible in xaml when doing wpf is like taking a cheeze grater to your genitals

No? XAML is the best part of WPF. What are you talking about?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Calidus posted:

So if I can use Xamarin for free why would I go and make a UWP app?

Because they are not mutually exclusive? You build a Xamarin app, you can have a common core of code to build a UWP. Use Xamarin.forms and you get a UWP for free. This is about A. Azure and B. Getting people using C# and .Net. Among other things :)

And remember, you don't have to use Forms/Xaml. You can use the same tools iOS and Android users use to build UI.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 31, 2016

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Baloogan posted:

If you have created sample data and use the designer it is really slick.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Baloogan posted:

I've heard this a lot from people who don't really *get* data binding. Not saying that's you, just that it's a common sentiment from those with a WinForms background.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I've got a question about IDisposable, how to properly use it and also implement it.

Is disposability and object pooling mutually exclusive? If a class implements IDisposable should I assume I can't keep it in an object pool and reuse it? Or are there going to be hints in the api of the object that it is safe to reuse and what are the typical hints?

And on the implementing side of the coin, if I design a class to be disposable, and the answer to the first question is they aren't mutually exclusive, should I make sure to design my disposable classes such that they can be pooled and reused?

NiceAaron
Oct 19, 2003

Devote your hearts to the cause~

It probably depends on what kind of resource is being disposed, but disposability and object pooling are not necessarily mutually exclusive. If an object implements IDisposable, but its lifetime lasts for the entire lifetime of the application, then you might never call Dispose on it (or only call Dispose on application shutdown) and that's fine. If the object is specifically designed to be short-lived, then you might run into trouble if you keep it alive in a pool, but there's nothing in the IDisposable interface that says it has to be short-lived.

Edit: VVVVVV Yeah, I should have stated the implicit assumption that if you're going to keep an IDisposable object alive in an object pool, then you're not calling Dispose when you return it to the pool.

NiceAaron fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 1, 2016

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
Disposing should be permanent, so it's not valid to interact with an object after it's disposed.

In your scenario you would have a Thing with a destructive dispose method. Then you would have a PooledThing (decorates Thing) and its dispose method would return Thing to the pool.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

NiceAaron posted:

It probably depends on what kind of resource is being disposed, but disposability and object pooling are not necessarily mutually exclusive. If an object implements IDisposable, but its lifetime lasts for the entire lifetime of the application, then you might never call Dispose on it (or only call Dispose on application shutdown) and that's fine. If the object is specifically designed to be short-lived, then you might run into trouble if you keep it alive in a pool, but there's nothing in the IDisposable interface that says it has to be short-lived.

Okay that makes sense. I'm just making this more complicated than it needs to be.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

EssOEss posted:

No? XAML is the best part of WPF. What are you talking about?

There are definitely situations when the alternative to writing five lines of code-behind is creating an entire attached property or whatever that you'll use exactly once.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't even have (much) winforms experience, XAML is great when you are doing EXACTLY what is intended. If you stray even a bit from that its painful as gently caress.

I'm trying to do a treeview with CollectionViewSource ItemSources (so I can filter the items), and it seems impossible to do. Settled finally on a ListView with TreeView templated items.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 1, 2016

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I think TreeViews are especially obnoxious. Adding multiselect to one was pages of code, and I still haven't figured out how to set one up with proper context menus.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Jesus. C#7 is shaping up to have some really cool poo poo if it all makes the cut:
nested functions, multiple returns with splatting capability, ref returns, pattern matching, destructuring.

Some of this stuff exists in the newer languages like rust and swift. I think competition is good for innovation in the programming language space.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 1, 2016

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Baloogan posted:

I don't even have (much) winforms experience, XAML is great when you are doing EXACTLY what is intended. If you stray even a bit from that its painful as gently caress.

I'm trying to do a treeview with CollectionViewSource ItemSources (so I can filter the items), and it seems impossible to do. Settled finally on a ListView with TreeView templated items.

Yeah, tree views are kind of a pathological case for a declarative UI. They're significantly easier in something with function-like UI components, like React.

xgalaxy posted:

Jesus. C#7 is shaping up to have some really cool poo poo if it all makes the cut:
nested functions, multiple returns with splatting capability, ref returns, pattern matching, destructuring.

Do you have an article for this, or is it just on the github Roslyn page? I think we're basically guaranteed to get pattern matching and destructuring - hell they wanted to do that in C# 6 - but the rest will be a toss-up. Definitely hopeful, though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

And @-based string interpolation!

yes I'm kidding jfc

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Bognar posted:

Do you have an article for this, or is it just on the github Roslyn page? I think we're basically guaranteed to get pattern matching and destructuring - hell they wanted to do that in C# 6 - but the rest will be a toss-up. Definitely hopeful, though.

Well their demo at //build showed off the multiple returns. So they have that implemented already.
The rest is 'of strong interest' listed on the GitHub .NET language design page.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 1, 2016

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

xgalaxy posted:

Well their demo at //build showed off the multiple returns. So they have that implemented already.
The rest is 'of strong interest' listed on the GitHub .NET language design page.

They implemented primary constructors for C# 6 and it was included in multiple beta releases of Roslyn, but they ultimately didn't ship it.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Baloogan posted:

... try writing a game in it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ya thats what im doing

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Like...a menu based game?? Or something at the complexity level of BabySmash? Because otherwise, uh...there are a lot better ways to go about it.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Baloogan posted:

ya thats what im doing

We should form a support group.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dr. Poz posted:

Like...a menu based game?? Or something at the complexity level of BabySmash? Because otherwise, uh...there are a lot better ways to go about it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Making the map in xaml was fun, its just an ItemsControl in a ScrollViewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

tunah posted:

I don't know if they've changed how they are linking the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime in SQLite recently, but older versions of SQLite have a dependency on a Visual C++ runtime redistributable.

And now having time to check, this is the problem. Nothing to do with Xbox. Need to recompile it with new Visual C++.

edit: actually scratch that, thought I compiled them right with VS 15 preview, but I think I don't think I did it right? Still getting same error. But I'm pretty sure it's a linker issue. :(

edit again: Okay I'm just stupid, referenced the C++ 2015 extension and it worked.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 2, 2016