Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
No I didn't.

ForestryMechs are trash that are ill-suited to the job they're designed to perform. They're pretty great at intimidating idiots and murdering protesters though.

Edit: There is nothing a ForestryMech can do that a skilled lumberjack with a chainsaw can't in a comparable amount of time, unless you count tripping on a rock and exploding as a thing. ForestryMechs are great at that.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Timberjack is cooler.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
WHy do the mechs actually fight each other if they're priceless relics from the golden age or whatever instead of counting coup like Aztecs or condotierres

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

ForestryMechs are trash that are ill-suited to the job they're designed to perform.

They're pretty great at intimidating idiots and murdering protesters though.

Exactly???

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

WHy do the mechs actually fight each other if they're priceless relics from the golden age or whatever instead of counting coup like Aztecs or condotierres

Reasonable answer: Because they are still the strongest options they've got in a galaxy of :tinfoil: controlled tech regression and just nuking the poo poo out of eachother being the only rule people (usually) follow. Even a metal baby can roll through the average set of armored hardware like it's the terminator. Space royalty also feels much more fancy in their blinged out death robot than a personal ground tank.

Meta answer: Scarcity is an illusion, in and out of setting. You've got your writers and GMs using as much hardware as they need to get the story battles they can get away with on one hand. Meanwhile IN setting, the phone Illuminati are throwing down tech to try and rig the odds when their artificial scarcity is personally inconvenient.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 24, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Phrosphor posted:

Is it worth making a new thread for the beta, or to wait for release? The title doesn't really apply anymore.

I had the same thought, and already have a huge OP written up for it. :sweatdrop:

Because I found the OP in this thread a little lackluster, and I find myself reposting the same information over and over again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Q_res posted:

I had the same thought, and already have a huge OP written up for it. :sweatdrop:

Because I found the OP in this thread a little lackluster, and I find myself reposting the same information over and over again.

I just checked, the OP has three posts in all of 127 pages which is not a good indicator.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, that's not good.

I just went ahead and posted a new thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821533&pagenumber=1

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Because giant robots are the full plate + horse combo of the 31st century. They allow the rich and powerful to swing their metal dicks around. The setting at its core is space feudalism and its why mercenaries are the weird wild card of the time period where they get the dick swinging and robots without the nobility baggage.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 24, 2017

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

Somebody did a full 3028 TRO for this game, covering all the mechs, factions and the state of the Inner Sphere in the era. They used art from MWO and the new updated models for the mechs, including the unseen, I haven't read it through yet but the production value is pretty good.

https://wlu.box.com/s/cl1sj07p0eccuozxg6ow4svr1kg6dhvx

quote:

Notable mercenary groups

Crescent Hawks

:bird:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Amechwarrior posted:

I will say one thing for stock only. In the TT after you get past your initial "OMG I can make heat neutral Clan Tcomp, Pulse/Gauss monsters and beat everything!" phase, learning how to assemble a stock lance/company to work together as a team was the new challenge. When the plan comes together and each mech on the board covers the others weaknesses felt way more satisfying than just min/maxing a single chassis. It becomes more about positioning and LOS compared to who brought more headcapping weapons.

I generally prefer stock games, but so many stock mechs have incredibly stupid design decisions that pure stock games tend to gravitate towards the same designs. For my own TT games I like to play "stock without the stupid" which is basically small tweaks to stock mechs to make what would otherwise be trash, viable.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The big hurdle for an offensive is transportation. Between jumpships, docking collars, and the capacity of transports moving a large number of units is hard. 4 mechs are not all that much more difficult to move than 4 tanks and generally are better, especially if you're making a hostile combat drop.

Outside of major offenses though you would really see mech v mech fights.

PoptartsNinja posted:

No I didn't.

ForestryMechs are trash that are ill-suited to the job they're designed to perform. They're pretty great at intimidating idiots and murdering protesters though.

Edit: There is nothing a ForestryMech can do that a skilled lumberjack with a chainsaw can't in a comparable amount of time, unless you count tripping on a rock and exploding as a thing. ForestryMechs are great at that.

A forestry mech can harvest trees better for less guys involved though, especially if it can pick up and carry said tree after cutting it down.

And they aren't typically going to be making PSRs outside of combat.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you're worried about harvesting trees specifically in your setting with interstellar travel and fancy super-tech (of the 80s), you probably are on a shithole world where manpower is more readily available than mechs and mech parts.

We keep getting hit with how expensive a mech is to operate, you could hire a lot of dirt farming schmucks to do lumberjackery the 1700s way for that money.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Guys go to the new thread. :argh:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zaodai posted:

If you're worried about harvesting trees specifically in your setting with interstellar travel and fancy super-tech (of the 80s), you probably are on a shithole world where manpower is more readily available than mechs and mech parts.

We keep getting hit with how expensive a mech is to operate, you could hire a lot of dirt farming schmucks to do lumberjackery the 1700s way for that money.

Except that a lot of those worlds are marginally terraformed and centuries of raids, conscription, and lack of medicine have left a great many of the backwater worlds underpopulated, so a leftover forestry mech chugging along with an ICE is practical, economical, and sustainable.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

OP of this one has been MIA since January and doesn't have PM's. If a mod's reading this, please close this thread? The new one is linked a few posts above.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Guys go to the new thread. :argh:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A.o.D. posted:

Except that a lot of those worlds are marginally terraformed and centuries of raids, conscription, and lack of medicine have left a great many of the backwater worlds underpopulated, so a leftover forestry mech chugging along with an ICE is practical, economical, and sustainable.

Sure, once it's on site and already paid for, you use it.

But at some point PRIOR to that, someone had to decide it was a better idea than just using a bunch of drunken chucklefucks the old fashioned way, when so much stuff in the Inner Sphere already runs on manual labor anyway.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Giant Robots with chainsaws for hands is awesome, and if HBS ever does melee weapons in some future version of the game, I hope they give reason the finger and include them.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1895012

Beta multiplayer will be delayed, the June 1st beta will just be single player skirmish.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

No I didn't.

It's funny because the only mechs that exist in the real world ARE ForestryMechs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzaXMzYFtSM

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 25, 2017

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

vorebane posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1895012

Beta multiplayer will be delayed, the June 1st beta will just be single player skirmish.

And no mechlab :sad:

edit: oh god, that's a trump emoji now

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Get to the new thread you stragglers :argh:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821533&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Bah humbug, this thread, won by the blood of my forebears, is mine by right o- oh nice OP.

• Locked thread