Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
newbie update: Beat my first Nightmare dungeon! It was the Curada one. Only the last boss gave me a bit of trouble but that's before I realized he didn't counter summon magic, which means between Yuna's BSB, Alphinaud's USB/Tiamat spam, and Ramza constantly feeding Selphie meter for Slots Full Cure I managed to power through

also Riku was there I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Congrats! (And Curada is the best by miles of the abilities you get from nightmares)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

At the risk of sounding like a bonehead, what exactly does a drop tracker do and how does it improve your chances of getting what you need? This isn't going to, say, tinker with the game to up my chances of getting what I want is it? I've seen them mentioned before but not what their purpose is.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My understanding is that item drops are determined when you start the fight, so you can look and if it's not a drop you want you can just flee instead of having to actually fight through it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Blockhouse posted:

newbie update: Beat my first Nightmare dungeon! It was the Curada one. Only the last boss gave me a bit of trouble but that's before I realized he didn't counter summon magic, which means between Yuna's BSB, Alphinaud's USB/Tiamat spam, and Ramza constantly feeding Selphie meter for Slots Full Cure I managed to power through

Just a heads up; the Nightmare dungeons will either make or break the game for you.

Still haven't found a replacement for this game. Almost redownloaded until I saw I missed the KH stuff so :suicide:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Kingdom Hearts banners don't go away for another week though?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DeadButDelicious posted:

At the risk of sounding like a bonehead, what exactly does a drop tracker do and how does it improve your chances of getting what you need? This isn't going to, say, tinker with the game to up my chances of getting what I want is it? I've seen them mentioned before but not what their purpose is.
In general, encounter drops are decided when you initiate that encounter. So if you have any kind of proxy or packet-sniffing setup, you can pull out the relevant data to see ahead of time what you're going to get. This can be useful if you're fishing for something at little to no stamina cost, by watching the drop tracker and then backing out if your intended loot doesn't show up. Magicite dungeons only charge you stamina upon completing the battle, so you can keep fleeing (or killing the process/restarting/not choosing to restart at quicksave) until you see whatever. Thankfully only 3* or 4* magicite dungeons drop random magicite. 5* magicites are a design mess unto themselves but at least their loot is fixed.

Even if you're not farming magicite there have been other uses for drop trackers. These days you might otherwise use them for farming RM2s on level 65+ characters, since they randomly show up but are considered loot like anything else. (It's one chance per character per wave of enemies, so to maximize your chances you want to try the Newcomer Dungeons which offer 3 trash waves for 2 stamina IIRC.) They were also used for the old Torments, since those included drops of 3 Major Orbs for 60 stamina in the days when daily dungeons were a lot worse.

In my case I employ an Android emulator (MEmu), a proxy (Fiddler), and an inspection process (FFRKInspector) if I want drop tracking. MEmu unfortunately is a resource hog and loves to phone home to whatever Chinese overlords make the software, so I only pull it up these days to save tedium for LM2s on new characters. I've also heard good things about RK2, so if you want that's an alternative. (In theory FFRK Drop Tracker exists but the author is an :mrapig: and his awful rear end doesn't need patronizing.)

In fact, if you know Javascript you can even use a proxy to fool around with the program's guts rather than just collecting data. Nearly two years ago we had Despair Sephiroth at the end of an event, and uniquely the battle had a timer. (He was a superboss with leaderboards at the time, even if nowadays he would be a joke at 426K HP.) For various reasons like tracking status durations people wanted the timer in other fights. Dataminers soon found this was enabled via a simple variable change, and if you want to you can force the program to turn on the timer in any fight you like. Or whatever the hell else you care for. Hacking like this is against the TOS, of course, but non-intrusive stuff like enabling the timer won't show up on DeNA's radar. So far as I've heard they've only banned people for really blatant stuff, like impossibly quick clears of superbosses with leaderboards.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hot on the heels of the XIII event, it's the next Fat Black Chocobo event! This time the elemental theme is Ice, and Noel, Lulu, Josef, and Serah all get some new toys to play with.

Ice Banner posted:

Noel's Vajradanda [AASB, +10 ATK] - 15 single-target Ice/NE ranged physical attacks, En-Ice, Awoken Ice Mode, Cap Break Level 1, High Quick Cast 1, & Hunter's Pride to user
Awoken Ice Mode: Unlimited Ice Hones, Ice Ability Boost & Dualcast Ice
Hunter's Pride: High Quick Cast 1 after using Ice abilities

Lulu's Dreamy Cait Sith [AASB, +10 MAG] - 15 single-target Ice/Water/NE magic attacks, Ice/Water Damage +30%, Awoken Obsidian Wisdom Mode, Cap Break Level 1 & Freezing Water to user
Awoken Obsidian Wisdom Mode: Unlimited Ice/Water Hones, Ice/Water Ability Boost & Dualcast Ice/Water
Freezing Water: After using 2 Ice or Water abilities, chases with 8 single-target Ice/Water/NE magic attacks

Noel's Spacetime Guardian [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 20 single-target Ice/Water ranged physical attacks & single-target Ice/Water Overflow ranged physical attack

Josef's Tiger Fangs [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Ice/NE physical attacks, Imperil Ice, En-Ice & Quick Cast 3 to user, 75% Ice Radiant Shield to party
Serah's Fellowship Arc [USB, +10 MAG] - 10 single-target Ice magic attacks, 75% Ice Radiant Shield to party, High Quick Cast 1 & Artemis Volley to user
Artemis Volley: High Quick Cast 1 after using Ice abilities

Serah's Summoner's Garb [CSB, +10 MAG] - Activates Ice Limit Chain (150) & 50% Ice Field, MAG +50% to party

Serah's Faerie's Bow [Glint+, +10 MAG] - En-Ice, En-Ice Stack & Instant Cast 1 to user, Instant Cast & Zero SB Cost
Noel's Survivor's Edge [Glint+, +10 ATK] - 6 single-target Ice/NE ranged physical attacks, Instant Cast & Zero SB Cost, Imperil Ice
Josef's Genji Glove [Glint, +10 ATK] - En-Ice, En-Ice Stack & Heroic Flurry to user, Instant Cast
Heroic Flurry: After using Ice abilities, chases with 4 single-target Ice/NE physical attacks

Noel's Grimoire Hat [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Ice for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Josef's Twist Headband [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Monk abilities
Noel's Guise [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Ice abilities
Lulu's Crimson Bangle [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Ice for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Serah's Amazon Bow [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Ice for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Plus, Fran gets the freebie 0.5 Ice Chain!
6* Fran CSB: Activates Ice Limit Chain (99) & 20% Ice Field

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Any recommendations on what my first ruby ability I should get? Seems like voltech or a spellblade seems to be the general consensus.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yes, one of those if you have users for them.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My opinion is anything with multi-ele hit unless you have a specific need to fill (like stoneja or whatever will help you beat a 5*)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Pretty much, yeah. None of the ruby abilities are bad, but voltech and the multi-element spellblades are by far the most generally useful. The only other one that might be worth going for first is flash disaster if you have a strong celerity user, since it occupies a unique niche as an incredibly quick gauge builder when used against weakness.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So what's the deal with this bravery banner? Some of these relics look pretty good, but I'm guessing by the lack of excitement here that the consensus is to wait for the awakening banners?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So what's the deal with this bravery banner? Some of these relics look pretty good, but I'm guessing by the lack of excitement here that the consensus is to wait for the awakening banners?

It's a fine banner. But it's a trap. Fest is in less than a month.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Just a heads up; the Nightmare dungeons will either make or break the game for you.

Still haven't found a replacement for this game. Almost redownloaded until I saw I missed the KH stuff so :suicide:

I beat the Nightmare's in my first month of playing the game. And I am not particularly good at FFRK or Video games in general. I asked for advice when I had trouble, Had a few stumbling blocks in the more gimmicky fights. But they aren't that hard.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

For me it’s dupes, and also yea better stuff literally around the corner.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Blockhouse posted:

Congrats! Try to do Meltdown next if you can. That's the other really good ability.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Onmi posted:

It's a fine banner. But it's a trap. Fest is in less than a month.

I beat the Nightmare's in my first month of playing the game. And I am not particularly good at FFRK or Video games in general. I asked for advice when I had trouble, Had a few stumbling blocks in the more gimmicky fights. But they aren't that hard.

Hitler's Gay Secret repeatedly ignored any and all advice about Nightmares when they asked for it in this thead, opting instead to smash their phone into their face repeatedly and decide the fights were impossible. Nightmares are not hard at all if you ask questions and put in at least a mild amount of effort.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Fran getting a free Ice Chain is interesting because she's a mainstay of my ice team due to her USB imperil/fastcast maniac machine. That'll be something to look forward to.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

If you beat curada you can beat all the others imo, that was the hardest one.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Kingdom Hearts is still going on though?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I had the most trouble with Valigarmanda and Reraise.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

I've also heard good things about RK2, so if you want that's an alternative.

Just to sell it a little more, it also has a lot of other great features, like tracking record materia that you've collected, tracking scores for magicite and torments, tracking completion for events, and toggling the in-battle timer that you mentioned. All in all it's a really handy utility.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
6/12 released 5* magicites. Reckon I can plow through ice after I kill Phoenix once more and level/inherit that and Belias, and then I'm going to get stopped cold (heh) because I don't have an Ice chain. Seems like the wind ones just aren't possible with out one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So yo I'm like retarded at this game but does anyone have a guide which shows which teams / abilities can clear these stupid loving mote dungeons? Like I feel like I should be doing a lot better but its just not working.

Should all my dudes be level 99? They seem to do poo poo damage even at level 99 using the correct spells / skills.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Are you using 5* abilities, does someone have a soul break that gives a large boost to atk/mag, do you have something giving everyone haste?

Also if possible use weapons/armour that boosts the relevant element

Also also, you should probably have picked up a bunch of 3* motes from various rewards which you can spend to get the first layer of people's record spheres.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 28, 2019

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Yes, you should be leveling up the characters that you’re using to level 99. With mote dungeons, you can get away with having some characters not at level 99, but the closer to level 99, the better.

Do you mind posting what team you’re using and what they’re using to see what you’re working with?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah post what your teams are, what abilities and SBs they are carrying and we can go from there.

If you have any other relevant USBs/BSBs that match the element of the mote dungeon, it wouldn't hurt to note those as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MF_James posted:

Yeah post what your teams are, what abilities and SBs they are carrying and we can go from there.

If you have any other relevant USBs/BSBs that match the element of the mote dungeon, it wouldn't hurt to note those as well.

OK thanks guys I'll get some stuff together in a few and post what I'm trying to bang my head against.

I'll get these eventually!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ok I caved on my f2p pride and spent $5 on Elarra's USB, which I guess is only fair given I've played this game off and on for almost two years, and holy lol this thing is ridiculous. Single-handedly let me beat the final wind trial without changing a single other thing about the team that had been eating poo poo even with another extremely good healing USB. Regenga ticking for more than the boss' AoE attacks were hitting for is, uh, pretty good, it turns out.

Gonna see if I can finally get my revenge against Tiamat now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok so yo this is the team I was trying to take down the dark mote dude down with.

First problem Sephs arcane needs 3 bars but you only get two sooo he’s worthless?

Second everyone only does like 1k damage even with their bsbs.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

what soul breaks are they equipped with? Arcanes are worthless in mote dungeons, because you get two bars per character, and those two bars are all you have to use.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Ok so yo this is the team I was trying to take down the dark mote dude down with.

First problem Sephs arcane needs 3 bars but you only get two sooo he’s worthless?

Second everyone only does like 1k damage even with their bsbs.

Make sure you check what kind of damage each ability does. Crimson Cross on Edea there? That's a physical ability on a mage character.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

XavierGenisi posted:

what soul breaks are they equipped with? Arcanes are worthless in mote dungeons, because you get two bars per character, and those two bars are all you have to use.

I just tried to pick ones with dark damage I’ll have to drop seph though since he’s worthless.

I’ll check the abilities too it seems like dark damage is a bitch to get.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

I just tried to pick ones with dark damage I’ll have to drop seph though since he’s worthless.

I’ll check the abilities too it seems like dark damage is a bitch to get.

If you have someone who can use heavy attacks (I always forget who has access off the top of my head), there is a dark-flavored combo that is pretty good. For Edea, your best bet is probably Memento Mori + Dark Zone, and Death Throes + Reaping Scythe is the physical equivalent. Also, if you have any ninjas leveled up, the dark ninja skills are really fuckin' good, provided you can keep the phys blink up. They are even more bonkers on a ninja with a doublecast legend dive, but I'm assuming you aren't at that point yet if you're using sub-99 characters. No matter what, the damage is probably not going to be amazing unless you have a good buff of some kind - do you have any breaks that offer an attack or magic boost, preferably with haste attached?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you have someone who can use heavy attacks (I always forget who has access off the top of my head), there is a dark-flavored combo that is pretty good. For Edea, your best bet is probably Memento Mori + Dark Zone, and Death Throes + Reaping Scythe is the physical equivalent. Also, if you have any ninjas leveled up, the dark ninja skills are really fuckin' good, provided you can keep the phys blink up. They are even more bonkers on a ninja with a doublecast legend dive, but I'm assuming you aren't at that point yet if you're using sub-99 characters. No matter what, the damage is probably not going to be amazing unless you have a good buff of some kind - do you have any breaks that offer an attack or magic boost, preferably with haste attached?

Well I was using Ramza with shout. I’ll look into the rest of those though. I have quite a few eggs and MC3s so I can boost whatever.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Well I was using Ramza with shout. I’ll look into the rest of those though. I have quite a few eggs and MC3s so I can boost whatever.

Shout only boost attack which doesn't help Edea at all and unless she has a self buff SB she isn't going to be doing much.

Also is the armor you using stuff you brought up to be 5 or 6*?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Isn't the Dark mote dungeon boss high resistance, so you really want physical dark anyway?

I didn't have too much trouble even with underlevelled guys and not very upgraded equipment, but that was with a chain + Cloud USB1.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Shout is good! I would do something like:

Ramza
Riku
Edge or Shadow
Probably still Seph? Unless you have another dark physical user
Elarra

For physical, your best skill combos are gonna be:

Sanguine Cross + Dark Bargain
Crimson Cross + Dark Bargain
Reaping Scythe + Death Throes

If you think you can beat the boss within 30 seconds, Reaping Scythe + Death Throes is a good, safe option, otherwise you're gonna want to go with one of the other two. Both of them deal damage to you when you use them, though iirc Sanguine Cross got a buff and takes less health. With Elarra's regenga it probably doesn't matter much which one you pick unless you're getting killed by sudden damage spikes. Sanguine Cross is cheaper to hone so I'd probably pick that one. Seph has samurai 5 so you could also use Hailstorm instead of Dark Bargain, depending on what kind of attacks are dealing the most damage to you. I think Red Dragon uses almost entirely magic, so Hailstorm is probably better?

Stay away from Dread Weapon and Dwindling Spirit, the former really needs a good USB to be effective and the latter is just bad.

Whatever ninja you bring, just slap the dark ninja combo on them. With an attack buff from Ramza, they should do at least respectable damage.

I'd probably bring Shell on Elarra, you need more mitigation. You could also lose banishing strike on Ramza and bring Magic Breakdown instead to make the damage more manageable. Unless I'm forgetting something, the boss doesn't have any statuses to dispel.

For a basic strategy:

Put up wall and shell asap. Ramza uses shout, then full break + magic breakdown. Anyone with a BSB that boosts dark damage uses that right away, then uses their attack boost ability + spams Sanguine Cross / Reaping Scythe instead of using their BSB commands. Your ninja uses his phys blink ability twice (or more if he gets whacked with a physical attack), then spams his multi-hit darkness ability. If the fight drags on for longer than 30 seconds, make sure you reapply your mitigation at around the 28 second mark.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shout is good! I would do something like:

Ramza
Riku
Edge or Shadow
Probably still Seph? Unless you have another dark physical user
Elarra

For physical, your best skill combos are gonna be:

Sanguine Cross + Dark Bargain
Crimson Cross + Dark Bargain
Reaping Scythe + Death Throes

If you think you can beat the boss within 30 seconds, Reaping Scythe + Death Throes is a good, safe option, otherwise you're gonna want to go with one of the other two. Both of them deal damage to you when you use them, though iirc Sanguine Cross got a buff and takes less health. With Elarra's regenga it probably doesn't matter much which one you pick unless you're getting killed by sudden damage spikes. Sanguine Cross is cheaper to hone so I'd probably pick that one. Seph has samurai 5 so you could also use Hailstorm instead of Dark Bargain, depending on what kind of attacks are dealing the most damage to you. I think Red Dragon uses almost entirely magic, so Hailstorm is probably better?

Stay away from Dread Weapon and Dwindling Spirit, the former really needs a good USB to be effective and the latter is just bad.

Whatever ninja you bring, just slap the dark ninja combo on them. With an attack buff from Ramza, they should do at least respectable damage.

I'd probably bring Shell on Elarra, you need more mitigation. You could also lose banishing strike on Ramza and bring Magic Breakdown instead to make the damage more manageable. Unless I'm forgetting something, the boss doesn't have any statuses to dispel.

For a basic strategy:

Put up wall and shell asap. Ramza uses shout, then full break + magic breakdown. Anyone with a BSB that boosts dark damage uses that right away, then uses their attack boost ability + spams Sanguine Cross / Reaping Scythe instead of using their BSB commands. Your ninja uses his phys blink ability twice (or more if he gets whacked with a physical attack), then spams his multi-hit darkness ability. If the fight drags on for longer than 30 seconds, make sure you reapply your mitigation at around the 28 second mark.

This is awesome thanks! I'm gonna try this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Nihilarian posted:

Kingdom Hearts is still going on though?

Pretty sure I missed an actual guarantied Keyblade for Sora in the daily pick ups? :shrug: I had no mitheral when I quit and this game ain't getting a cent from me.

Onmi posted:

Good for you?

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Hitler's Gay Secret repeatedly ignored any and all advice about Nightmares when they asked for it in this thead, opting instead to smash their phone into their face repeatedly and decide the fights were impossible. Nightmares are not hard at all if you ask questions and put in at least a mild amount of effort.

Why ask for advice when I get treated like garbage in this thread? I tried to ask for advice but received either "Find a random mook online to beat them for you" (which doesn't loving help when those people WOULDN'T SHOW UP) or "you're just not good enough lol". Sorry that I was tired of getting frustrated at this game and people like you? :shrug: Trying to tackle this game, this thread and depression wasn't cutting it out for me. Of course boredom might be worse but what do I know, I'm just a dumb dipshit who can't beat a simple gatcha game, right?