Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Here goes the watch:

-So much for being sober and clean, I suppose. Raffi being Raffi vOv.
-"THIS IS NOT CANON THEY NEVER SHOWED ROMULANS LIKE THAT" spiritual practices with a glooming view from the incestous sister that is making sure that her beloved brother is faithful to her. Is voyeurism normal among romulans or they put up a camera just for Soji?

-It was pretty obviously a lie and her son saw right through that poo poo.
-Of course Romulans would spy on each other, especially based on what we know about them. Also she was already doubting his loyalties and their assignment is super important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Ahhhh.... that came so close. Definitely an improvement. But they whiffed the ending.

So some wonky dialogue at the start reminding the audience of the most well known facts about Picard and the obligatory stupid sexy sister speech aside, there were some legit good moments in this.

Jurati and Rios I think we all saw rumbling down the road like a big truck (gotta set up some future anguish) but they acted it well and Rios is starting to feel more like a real character at least.

Raffi getting the credentials was fine, it's your standard "alright, I'll give you what you wanted because you explained the situation slightly differently and I'm a lazy bureaucrat, now we're even and don't call me again."

Narek's mediation suite was well executed, but I don't quite understand the mechanism. It's not telepathy or technology, it's just following a path? Someone let me know if this is a real thing. Regardless the actual content was quite well done.

Picard on the cube. I don't hate this new look, I think a modern update on the nightmare maze would have been cool too but this has a cold monolithic feel that's still evocative. The ex Borg looming out of the shadows, giving him the jeebies was good.

And then it's Hugh. Thank gently caress, it's a friendly face. You can make the case that all the bullshit Picard's put up with so far was to make this reunion have all the more impact, but it didn't make it any less of a slog getting here. There's plenty of shows that grind their lead character down that I still find compelling. But ah man, this is more like the show that I wanted. We may only get a few minutes of it, but Picard being shown around the reclamation project by a proud Hugh is good poo poo. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes when characters have actual history and chemistry together.

Narek botches the assassination but okay whatever, the chase has actual tension. They're stuck on a cube, can't beam out and about to try to escape through the grey zone right?! Rios is gonna have to fly into the cube to snatch them from some dormant Borg horror, right?! Elnor's proficiency with a blade is going to make sense and come in handy, right?! All that poo poo they set up is coming together and this is gonna rule, right?!

Right...? Oh...

It's a deux ex machina room. Fantastic.

And now Elnor has beamed in for reasons. What is this? Data busting Picard out in Nemesis? (the first time when it makes no sense and he's disguised as B4)

No, don't go with them Elnor. The room needs to power down or some poo poo. Better die now.

So close...

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 27, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lizard Combatant posted:

Ahhhh.... that came so close. Definitely an improvement. But they whiffed the ending.

The preview clears up one of your ending complaints. If your problem was with deux ex machina room, well :shrug: But if you watch the preview Elnor isn't dead.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The preview clears up one of your ending complaints. If your problem was with deux ex machina room, well :shrug: But if you watch the preview Elnor isn't dead.

I don't watch teasers, no. But sure he's not dead, okay but it's used for the same effect especially for Picard going into the next episode. Him dying/not dying isn't the issue, the scene was ridiculous.

Probably the best since ep 1 though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't watch teasers, no. But sure he's not dead, okay but it's used for the same effect especially for Picard going into the next episode. Him dying/not dying isn't the issue, the scene was ridiculous.

Yeah, my problem is more how it happened. Elnor feels like a character from a sci-fi show set on Planet Vancouver, though, and that may be why he didn't work this episode.

The good parts are pretty solid, though. The tour through the cube with Hugh and Picard is probably the most star trek thing i've seen out of the show. It might've been even more effective had we not already learned of what's going on here several episodes ago, though.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yep. Hugh being cool was almost a relief, I was half expecting him to pull a Lando on Picard. Rios is pretty swole swell too and it's nice that he's seemingly actually nice and not just a tough guy.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Panzeh posted:

The good parts are pretty solid, though. The tour through the cube with Hugh and Picard is probably the most star trek thing i've seen out of the show. It might've been even more effective had we not already learned of what's going on here several episodes ago, though.

drat right. It was great, but I'm more convinced than ever they did not have 10 episodes worth and that's why it's presented like this.

But as soon as Narek pulls the pin on his radiation grenade I suddenly saw a flash of where the whole episode was going (see lines 6 & 7 of previous post). Suddenly all the weird choices made sense and I was totally cool with them because of what was about to come... and then it didn't...

Please rename the thread to "The Continuing Adventures of Captain Pecan". I have no particular reason for this request.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 27, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Lizard Combatant posted:

drat right. It was great, but I'm more convinced than ever they did not have 10 episodes worth and that's why it's presented like this.

But as soon as Narek pulls the pin on his radiation grenade I suddenly saw a flash of where the whole episode was going (see lines 6 & 7 of previous post). Suddenly all the weird choices made sense and I was totally cool with them because of what was about to come... and then it didn't...

And have the rest 4 episodes of them fighting and extracting? With half of the last one meeting Riker and Troi at their country house in Nepenthe and leaving Soji as their daughter there to live long and prosper yada yada?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

And have the rest 4 episodes of them fighting and extracting? With half of the last one meeting Riker and Troi at their country house in Nepenthe and leaving Soji as their daughter there to live long and prosper yada yada?

Hah no, just this episode specifically. Could have been an amazing set piece that utilizes everyone's (well, not everyone's) skills.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hah no, just this episode specifically. Could have been an amazing set piece that utilizes everyone's (well, not everyone's) skills.

I get your cravings to devour the new trek. I too am a sucker for shoving an entire season in a single day into my timetable but c'mon, give them time. Taste it like a bottle of Chateau Picard 2386

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I get your cravings to devour the new trek. I too am a sucker for shoving an entire season in a single day into my timetable but c'mon, give them time. Taste it like a bottle of Chateau Picard 2386

It's more that it was the only way I could see the episode going. I was actually hooked. I was thinking "holy poo poo, something's going down and there's actual stakes." But they punted it to another week.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

There slow burn, and then there's no burn.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mostly a good episode. I'd say mostly a great episode in context of the lacklustre feeling hours we've spent over the past few weeks.

I continue to mostly make zero emotional attachment to most of the nu-crew. Raffi is still uninteresting and I don't particularly care about her subplot. I'm not sure what the deal with Rios is but he's just... there...

I guess I care most about Dr. Scientist and her internal struggles now, but until this all gets tied together it's just some disembodied plot floating in a vacuum.

I was secretly hoping Hugh would ditch the cube and start adventuring now that he's going to be on somewhat less friendly terms with the Romulans.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Martytoof posted:

I was secretly hoping Hugh would ditch the cube and start adventuring now that he's going to be on somewhat less friendly terms with the Romulans.

I was as well; I enjoyed the scenes with Hugh and Picard a great deal. I'm also struggling to feel attached to the new crew, but I'm hoping Dr. Jurati's inevitable breakdown will be satisfying.

I hope they don't kill Hugh next week, but if they do, I won't be surprised.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean it's a pretty safe bet that we haven't seen the end of Space Legolas so I'm hoping he takes Hugh and yeets off the cube somehow. But obviously I'm not going to be surprised if they do kill Hugh off during the daring escape.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

piratepilates posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkZvyfLC-LU&t=44s

I haven't seen the movie, so I must assume the rest is just like this.

I bounce off of every other big fleet space battle scene (even the ones people rave about, like the big Orville one, or any DS9 big fleet one), but I really enjoy this one.

It's because everything in that battle has a sense of mass and differing speeds, but they they aren't moving on hidden rails and you can easily follow the structure of the battle. It is directed well and as such seems both authentic, brutal, and balletic.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah say what you like about Rogue One but it has the best directed space battle action of any of the films. They've continued the ww2 air and sea style of Star Wars that eschews strict realism (fighters handling like they're in an atmosphere, etc...) but has a consistent internal logic. There's a great sense of geography in that scene and the characters feel present in the moment. When the corvette rams the destroyer and you see it from the view on the bridge :discourse:

Of course a blank cheque helps realise that, but you still need to know how to not make it a confused nightmare.

A consistent visual style is more important that strict realism.

The Expanse's style has more nods to realism, but it's cool because they stick to it and go the extra mile by having super long range projectiles and doing things like have people get into space suits and depressurise the ship before getting into a railgun fight.

I think Star Trek battles work best when they stick to the submarine warfare metaphor. It suits the more tech and tactics focus, and things like cloak are a stand in for sound absorbing materials to beat sonar, nebulae are your topographical features of the sea bed, etc... If you watch the Hunt for Red October it feels a bit like a good Star Trek battle. DS9 leaned more into big naval destroyers blasting each other which is also fine (and probably more appropriate if you want fleets facing off), so one man fighter craft in Star Trek aren't implausible from a story perspective but they kind of break that mood. Even the Defiant was pushing it just a little for me... Heresy I know.

I say pick a metaphor that suits the style of show/film you're making and work within those confines to inspire creativity instead of just creating visual noise.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 27, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Picard episode 6:
I wonder who is running the mom hologram. Can't be Maddox since he's dead. It isn't the Romulans either.

Last episode Maddox said it's an AI. It's possible Soji is only transmitting to a relay repeating back something generated by her own system.

Edit: the random Borg sticking his head out to ask "Locustus?" was pretty funny.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 27, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tighclops posted:

Yep. Hugh being cool was almost a relief, I was half expecting him to pull a Lando on Picard. Rios is pretty swole swell too and it's nice that he's seemingly actually nice and not just a tough guy.

I was half expecting him to be shot immediately and fall into the abyss Han Solo style, but I guess I'm just used to a Joss Whedon way of storytelling

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

NowonSA posted:

I like that we saw The golden nugget at the center of the Borg tech on the cube. Get that advanced transporter tech and make spaceship travel obsolete, like it pretty much could be in the Kelvin timeline movies based on the beaming feats we saw in those.

Hugh mentions it's assimilated from the Sikarians - they're from the Voyager episode "Prime Factors". Voyager tried to get access to their technology, but they had their own Prime Directive and wouldn't share it. The Borg didn't bother asking, it seems...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

GoutPatrol posted:

I was half expecting him to be shot immediately and fall into the abyss Han Solo style, but I guess I'm just used to a Joss Whedon way of storytelling

Jesus, I would have immediately quit the show if they'd done this. I've only seen 3 Whedon things (serenity/avengers/avengers 2) but he seems to kill people off once they've expended their use to the plot at least.
May as well kill off boring shield man, what's he gonna do for the rest of the film anyway?

Angry Salami posted:

Hugh mentions it's assimilated from the Sikarians - they're from the Voyager episode "Prime Factors". Voyager tried to get access to their technology, but they had their own Prime Directive and wouldn't share it. The Borg didn't bother asking, it seems...

I heard Sicarians and thought they'd got my AdMech boys. Hell they'd probably sign up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Finally a good episode, though yeah, there were some off bits.

So is the EMH just not gonna share that Alison Pill straight up murdered Maddox in front of him? You'd think he'd bring it up.

The magic teleporter at the end was a bit disappointing, and I also don't get why Legolas didn't go with him. He didn't need to stay behind to cover their escape, Picard was loving gone.

But yeah, mostly good stuff. Hugh and Picard were fantastic together, and I loved going over the reclamation stuff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hugh had to stay behind to wipe the logs and keep the Romulans from tracking Picard and Soji, and I guess Elnor stayed to protect Hugh. But yeah, it’s pretty weak and I’d have preferred the two of them just going with Picard. :shrug:

Elnor is probably safe, but please don’t kill off Hugh next episode. :ohdear:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

Finally a good episode, though yeah, there were some off bits.

So is the EMH just not gonna share that Alison Pill straight up murdered Maddox in front of him? You'd think he'd bring it up.

The magic teleporter at the end was a bit disappointing, and I also don't get why Legolas didn't go with him. He didn't need to stay behind to cover their escape, Picard was loving gone.

But yeah, mostly good stuff. Hugh and Picard were fantastic together, and I loved going over the reclamation stuff.

yeah so confusing that the ai/computer scientist from the federations best ai/computer research lab didn't get told on by the ai/computer

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

That was waaaaaaay better than last week.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So they're absolutely establishing that Narek gave Soji a fighting chance, right? The acid has proven itself extremely successful before and all the radiation grenade does is stop the guard from entering. I normally wouldn't have to ask, but there's been enough convenience leaps that I can't be 100%. Stupid sexy sister will certainly have something to say/touch-his-face-sensually about that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's more that it was the only way I could see the episode going. I was actually hooked. I was thinking "holy poo poo, something's going down and there's actual stakes." But they punted it to another week.

They at least brought the 2 plots together and changed the venue again, but yeah that whole last scene was kind of weak.

Lizard Combatant posted:

So they're absolutely establishing that Narek gave Soji a fighting chance, right? The acid has proven itself extremely successful before and all the radiation grenade does is stop the guard from entering. I normally wouldn't have to ask, but there's been enough convenience leaps that I can't be 100%. Stupid sexy sister will certainly have something to say/touch-his-face-sensually about that.

That's how I saw it. They know exactly what she's capable of and Narek specifically mentions repeatedly how he's using his method to get the information without activating her, so he would have to be an idiot to lock her in a room with deadly radiation and not expect her to immediately activate and bust out.

Personally I would have preferred him to be an actual villain, because 100% guaranteed we're going to get a scene where Narissa has crosshairs on Soji or Picard and Narek ends up stopping her.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
One thing I didn't like was how they dragged Raffi, hosed up from the loss of her son, drunk, high, put her in front of Federation Facetime, had her burn a friendship to get Picard what he needed, and his response was to stand up and clap. Then they stick her back into her bunk and completely ignore the fact that she's hurting and grieving and spiraling (back) into self-destruction. Professor Xavier, you're a jerk!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

One thing I didn't like was how they dragged Raffi, hosed up from the loss of her son, drunk, high, put her in front of Federation Facetime, had her burn a friendship to get Picard what he needed, and his response was to stand up and clap. Then they stick her back into her bunk and completely ignore the fact that she's hurting and grieving and spiraling (back) into self-destruction. Professor Xavier, you're a jerk!

yeah that was pretty awkward and would have benefited from an Elnor in-butt

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

They at least brought the 2 plots together and changed the venue again, but yeah that whole last scene was kind of weak.

Hey I was pretty into it until it kind of just farted out the ending.

I did read that Frakes and Sirtis were a late addition to the script, so I wonder if it originally played out more like I thought it would.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That's how I saw it. They know exactly what she's capable of and Narek specifically mentions repeatedly how he's using his method to get the information without activating her, so he would have to be an idiot to lock her in a room with deadly radiation and not expect her to immediately activate and bust out.

Personally I would have preferred him to be an actual villain, because 100% guaranteed we're going to get a scene where Narissa has crosshairs on Soji or Picard and Narek ends up stopping her.

That does seem extremely likely.

TheCenturion posted:

Oh man, I forgot that part. :wtc:

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 27, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Excellent episode.

Hugh :unsmith: Loved the scenes with the two of them together. Picard having to face the Cube was appropriately horrifying, and Picard's joy at being proven wrong with the friendly XBs, and Hugh's good work, was wonderful.

Soji was really effective in this episode too. Like with Dahj in the first episode, the actress really sells having the rug pulled from under her.

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah dick move from JL there. Though to be fair I don't think Picard knows about her son. At least good dude Captain Rios is looking out for her.

And next week Troi and Riker hell yeah. Assuming they must live on the planet Picard teleported to.

Dietrich posted:

yeah so confusing that the ai/computer scientist from the federations best ai/computer research lab didn't get told on by the ai/computer

I was also dubious about this while watching, but that's an excellent point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dietrich posted:

...alright, yeah, that's a good point.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Why does being at Warp look different now besides better green-screen/cgi tech?

Also, all this Romulan mysticism seems to have come out of--seemingly--nowhere.

(Kinda wish they had just made it an Iconian Gateway, but hey at least what they used has on-screen precedence apparently.)

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 27, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Longbaugh01 posted:

I mean, you could say different warp engine technology.

Mostly just people wanting something different because they're bad at understanding their fans

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Also, all this Romulan mysticism seems to have come out of--seemingly--nowhere.

(Kinda wish they had just made it an Iconian Gateway, but hey at least what they used has on-screen precedence apparently.)

I guess, but it felt a lot like they wrote "Borg teleporter" and then went digging through wiki to find precedent. Narratively it's still a very unsatisfying solution that uses a dodgy bit of throwaway Voyager alien tech to make it seem legitimate instead of using your characters to solve a problem. Same as Elnor being able to just beam in but they can't beam out.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Same as Elnor being able to just beam in but they can't beam out.[/spoiler]

lmao I didn't even think of that, that's pretty absurd

Also if I had a instant handheld scanner that could tell me the age of things, I would probably scan myself at some point?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lmao I didn't even think of that, that's pretty absurd

Also if I had a instant handheld scanner that could tell me the age of things, I would probably scan myself at some point?

I kept waiting for her to do exactly that. Like, that was gonna be the reveal.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This episode was pretty good, the first few minutes dragged and the ending was a tad rushed but overall it was really nice to see the stories finally collide. Picard dealing with his Borg trauma and the interactions with Hugh were golden. This was the first Soji/Romulan guy stuff that wasn't eye-rolling. Can't wait for next week!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Next week:

(Not actually a spoiler.)
Soji: "Why are you helping me?"
Picard: "Because you may be the daughter of a friend of mine. Well, not ACTUALLY his daughter...and no, he didn't build you, this other guy Maddox who I met a couple times did...you never actually met my friend, he died years before you were created...hang on, why am I doing this again? Oh right, because I kinda got your sister killed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Another silly nit to pick:

Really Picard? "There's no time to explain?" "Remember Data? She's his daughter and the Tal Shiar is after her, we need to GTFO." Throw Hugh a friggin bone!