Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Play posted:

im gonna place myself somewhere between brian callahan and sean mcvay on the nfl coach fitness scale (tm)

andy reid is my fitness idol. pure mass, pure dedication. but i'll admit to loving belichick's fashion sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Red Hogs was up there which hell yeah

They wouldn't even have to change their current mascot if they did that one!

they absolutely should

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
can't see a washington dc team changing its name to something that literally involves pigs. the mascot is the closest they're likely to get.

redwolves isn't as distinctive, but it lends itself to branding easily, and corrects the odd lack of canid teams in the nfl.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Red Hogs was up there which hell yeah

Yeah I kinda remember this and people having good reasons for it

I agree though that they are either going to select some lame and generic as gently caress military/government thing or revert to a racist native name. The Washington Firewater is not offensive to native peoples because :words:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Washington Winless

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
joey 'orange' julius was by far and away the best fat kicker ever

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Wow, they just can't let [REFACTED] go, can they?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Everything about that team is boring and has been for as long as I can remember

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

a hog themed team is too cool to exist unfortunately, but at least wolves would be something

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Being on the ground floor of a team re-brand seems fun as a fan. Make some new traditions. All that stuff.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
When Quinn is fired mid season in three years it'll be a great time to start fresh and change the name again.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Let's not forget that when Native American groups were surveyed, a wide plurality approved of both the previous name and Dan Snyder's treatment of women, according to the team.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

The337th posted:

a hog themed team is too cool to exist unfortunately, but at least wolves would be something

Think of all the hog jokes we could make

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
https://x.com/clay_fink/status/1789453226548322555?s=46&t=G8Aq6A5iUmw5R1Z4gfWSjw

No idea who this guy is but it’s the offseason

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

WR2 or WR3 in next years draft. He’s gonna be veryyyy good.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Nodoze posted:

Think of all the hog jokes we could make

At that point you may as well pin links to THE_PACK and Da Share Zone at the top of the forum so we can mine it for content

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I always thought that Redtails would be a good name for Washington

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Makes me wonder if another name change is in the works, such as Washington Warriors?

Washington Noble Savages.

To me Hogs made the most sense. Pays homage to the weird "hogettes" history. Also a "fun" animal mascot. Also tie in with the military. Have an Alt-Logo be an A-10 Warthog.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

AsInHowe posted:

Let's not forget that when Native American groups were surveyed, a wide plurality approved of both the previous name and Dan Snyder's treatment of women, according to the team.

personally I choose to accept this statement of pure fact without critique

Hot Diggity! posted:

Redtails, Red Hogs, Redwolves would all be perfectly fine and a large improvement imo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

Probably gotta pay Disney a hefty sum for that name now, though

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Probably gotta pay Disney a hefty sum for that name now, though

Can't trademark a historical nickname; but to the kind of ppl who make these decisions, that's also an argument against using it as the name of the team.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Play posted:

Redtails, Red Hogs, Redwolves would all be perfectly fine and a large improvement imo

IIRC, those three were the ones that were consistently the most popular in the polls. I think Redwolves was the one that kept winning, but Snyder chose Commanders for reasons

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1789744427658813606?t=Pv6DvGpqa0NN7L-5BXSh2A&s=19

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

That was my favorite as well, but I think one of the actual pilots came out and said 'we were the best fighter squadron in the USAAF, and Washington hasn't won poo poo in decades, why do they get our name?'

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Why not Pigskins? Then they can be Washington Football Team for real.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Rogue Elephant posted:

That was my favorite as well, but I think one of the actual pilots came out and said 'we were the best fighter squadron in the USAAF, and Washington hasn't won poo poo in decades, why do they get our name?'

Lol if true

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
It really did feel like public consensus was starting to trend upward on THE TEAM

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fartknocker posted:

but Snyder chose Commanders for reasons
Spite.

He was forced to re-brand and he knew he was going to be forced to sell, so why rebrand to something desirable long term? Force the new owners to drop money to re-brand again.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

quote:

Among the surviving Airmen, however, the renaming doesn’t enjoy universal support. “I am not sure they are worthy of the Red Tail name,” Lt. Col. James Harvey, 97, writes in an email. “They don’t win that many games plus a lot of the players have a… Poor attitude. But, it is not my call. Just the way I feel at this point in time.”

King poo poo

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Spite.

He was forced to re-brand and he knew he was going to be forced to sell, so why rebrand to something desirable long term? Force the new owners to drop money to re-brand again.

This is dumb as hell because if the new ownership successfully pivots off his intentionally bad name to a popular new brand they make an absolute killing and the cost is immaterial. But “dumb as hell” is extremely on brand for Snyder so I guess that tracks

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Docjowles posted:

This is dumb as hell because if the new ownership successfully pivots off his intentionally bad name to a popular new brand they make an absolute killing and the cost is immaterial. But “dumb as hell” is extremely on brand for Snyder so I guess that tracks

Are you saying that Dan Snyder is a stupid man? Because I'm here to tell you that hes a not a stupid man. He's a very stupid, evil man.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Snyder bought like 10 gallon buckets of vanilla ice cream to leave on his coach's desk after a bad game. He is spiteful in the dumbest loving ways.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nervous posted:

Are you saying that Dan Snyder is a stupid man? Because I'm here to tell you that hes a not a stupid man. He's a very stupid, evil man.

He’s an embodiment of the Simpsons meme where Mr. Burns has so many diseases that none of them can outcompete the others and kill him. There’s so many awful things you could say about Snyder that it’s difficult to focus on just one.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
IIRC, Snyder had gotten the trademarks for various names at some point in the past. It was either in the mid-2000s around the time of Joe Gibbs second stint as coach, or it might have been around 2014-15 when Snyder created that "Washington R-Word Original Americans Foundation" to make it sound like there was major support among Native Americans for the team name (Which he had done in the past). The former period was still at the point where Snyder was just viewed as a meddling idiot who overpaid for free agents and lusted after every hot coaching name while also selling expired peanuts from an airline he'd bankrupted, before the truly heinous poo poo like "trying to sex traffic his cheerleaders" and all the other stuff happened/came out, but the name issue would come up every few years, get play on ESPN or whatever for a few days, then fade away.

However, those trademarks apparently lapsed sometime in the late 2010s, during the point where Snyder had fully dug in on "I'm never changing the name", and apparently some D.C. area real estate lawyer guy snapped up those and a slew of others. Fast forward to 2020, by which point the name controversy had become more widely acknowledged (There were a few notable sportscasters and writers and whatnot that only called the team "Washington" for a few years by that point), then with everything else going on in the summer of 2020, suddenly various high level sponsors said "change the name" and they go with Washington Football Team as a placeholder. So, while the team was trying to pick a permanent name, there were stories about trademark issues or buying the rights, which you'd think would be a trivial thing for an NFL franchise, but Snyder gonna Snyder.

In the end, the final 8 options where Commanders, staying as Football Team, along with Armada, Presidents, Brigade, Red Hogs, Red Wolves, and Defenders. Most people tended to focus on Presidents (Which makes sense for assorted obvious reasons), Red Hogs (Keeping the color, tying to the 'Hogs' line of the 80s/90s), Red Wolves (Also keeping the color name, and IIRC was narrowly winning polls at the time), or just staying as Football Team. Nobody really took "Commanders" seriously until a day or two before the official announcement when pictures of the new logo and merchandise in the team store leaked.

Also remember a poo poo ton of stuff happened between the team rebranding as Commanders in February 2022 and Snyder starting the process to sell the team that November. Remember him running around on his yacht to avoid testifying before Congress? Still more controversies about the team office broke during that time, and then Snyder claiming he had dirt on all the other owners and all sorts of poo poo. So yeah, he probably picked Commanders cause he liked it for whatever dumb reasons and assumed he was untouchable.

Cool Post Beg posted:

It really did feel like public consensus was starting to trend upward on THE TEAM

It was up there. "Washington Football Team" went from comical place holder with some ironic support and usually being viewed as a joke when they announced it for the 2020 season, to people very sincerely wanting them to keep it by the end of the following year, even before it was announced as one of the 8 finalist names. I think part of it was that people saw they could easily remove all the racist imagery from the uniforms and they still looked like classic design, so people assumed they'd keep going forward with that.

Instead, not only did Snyder change the name, but he radically altered the uniforms the team had worn essentially since the early 70s, and now you get the bleh designs they have now. Granted, he probably did it to sell more merchandise and overpriced jerseys and whatnot, speaking of which...

Docjowles posted:

This is dumb as hell because if the new ownership successfully pivots off his intentionally bad name to a popular new brand they make an absolute killing and the cost is immaterial.

There was an NFL Films thing on YouTube a few months ago about the history of NFL uniforms and jerseys and whatnot, which has some very interesting information about the league rules for stuff like this. A lot of people know teams are only permitted to redesign or make major changes every five years, so in theory the franchise can't rebrand or alter the uniforms again until prior to the 2027 season. I don't know if they'd bend that rule for a new owner, and I'm inclined to doubt it. Additionally, they have to notify the league two years in advance if they plan on changing their logo or colors (By comparison, they have to notify only one year in advance if they just plan to change jerseys), although this notification usually doesn't go public. Still, if they do go ahead with changing things in a few years, yeah, it's basically a printing press for money since so many fans will be running out to buy new hats and jerseys and t-shirts and dog bandanas and license plate holders and buttplugs and whatever else is branded with the new logo.

Here's a link to the video for those interested, the stuff about the league rules and the process is about 35 minutes in.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I've said it repeatedly but Washington Warthogs would be perfect, it rolls off the tongue and you can even keep the Pig Theme

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1789986201702641853

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Bellmaker posted:

I've said it repeatedly but Washington Warthogs would be perfect, it rolls off the tongue and you can even keep the Pig Theme

Yeah but when A-10s get injured damaged it's usually by the enemy, not the airfield, and they still keep flying

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Black Sunshine posted:

I miss my BBK. Gonna rock the Seabass jersey forever

I have a Seabass and a Lechler jersey. I am still a little disappointed I never got a Jon Condo jersey to complete the trifecta.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Ah, it’s that time of year when they slowly leak individual matchups instead of just releasing the whole schedule. Who’s gonna play on Xmas??? WhOOOA the giants are playing in Germany during week 6??? gently caress you Roger, just drop a google sheets URL and be done with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

why did they run their pictures through the Polar Express filter