Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zoe posted:

Any clues yet to what the significance is of all those right angles Cal draws? Or is it just a 'he is a lovely artist' joke and I'm overthinking it?

Pixels are rectangular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Super bummed there's no sbahj face in the QR codes.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zoe posted:

Any clues yet to what the significance is of all those right angles Cal draws? Or is it just a 'he is a lovely artist' joke and I'm overthinking it?

It was an example of how Caliborn brute-forces problems. When he first started drawing, it was just random lines and squiggles. He literally couldn't produce anything else. During a conversation with Jane though, he shared a breakthrough of making enough lines at right angles to create the approximation of a circle. Now he's going "back to basics" and rexamining that unique style now that he's learned some basics of color theory and anatomy. He's also brute-forcing his kickstarter by having his minions mine bitcoins by clicking the mouse, rather than creating a computer program that could do it for them like a rational person. Caliborn is not a subtle manchild. Or particularly intelligent either. But if he wants something, it seems like he'll pick a direction and keep marching until reality rewrites itself to let him achieve it.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Zoe posted:

He warned us about stairs, bro.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Zoe posted:

A pretty obvious reading of it is that right angles are mechanical, precise and "masculine". There is nothing subtle or complicated about a right angle.

Just like Caliborn.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

tinaun posted:

He warned us about stairs, bro.

Caliborn knows what angel to use.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zoe posted:

They're just representative of Caliborn's utter refusal to grow and learn from his experiences.

He decided that right angles are the best way to draw, so he is only going to use right angles. What do you mean that only using right angles is a horrible way to draw and makes even something as simple as drawing a curve take an extensively long time? gently caress you, drawing with other angles is the easy way out and is only done by losers and whores. The only 'real' way to draw is to just make right angles over and over again until they make a strange facsimile of basic shapes.

Caliborn is unable to accept that his first idea on how to do something is incorrect, even when it is shown to be far more inefficient than simpler ways of doing it. Even when he decides to "go back to the basics" his solution is just 'more right angles' because he does not believe that he can be wrong in any way. Hussie has said Homestuck is about kids and growing up, which is why it is appropriate the villain is an idiot child who refuses to do so.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hussie has said Homestuck is about kids and growing up, which is why it is appropriate the villain is an idiot child who refuses to do so.
It is possible that Caliborn, instead of "refusing" to change/grow up, is in fact incapable of change, and that when he killed off his shadow self he killed off the possibility of change. Remember that cherubs aren't supposed to rip out and destroy the alternate self; that was a Caliban special.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is possible that Caliborn, instead of "refusing" to change/grow up, is in fact incapable of change, and that when he killed off his shadow self he killed off the possibility of change. Remember that cherubs aren't supposed to rip out and destroy the alternate self; that was a Caliban special.

Calliope IS a Muse. It does seem likely that killing off the Muse that makes up your alternate personality would destroy your creativity and ability to change.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yep. Calliope had the artistic ability and self awareness. Caliborn is literally incapable of having those things because his species is deliberately mentally stunted until one half achieves dominance. Which can never happen now.

Caliborn can never be more than what he is because of his own actions

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Until he turns into a hella buff skull monster that shoots rainbow lasers and destroys reality. That's a pretty cool thing to be.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

TriffTshngo posted:

Until he turns into a hella buff skull monster that shoots rainbow lasers and destroys reality. That's a pretty cool thing to be.

This would not be my first choice, but would be a decent fallback.

Like all the doctors I've met who decided on med school when their original plans fell through.

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

Is not the fight for self-improval against impossible odds, and against what seems to be nature set in stone, the essence of what makes us human? Caliborn faces his limits, and instead of becoming a destructive monster, he sets out to improve his art. When everything in the world tries to tell him he is incapable of change, he keeps trying. He is clearly the most relatable character in Homestuck.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I like Caliborn, because he actually puts effort into things, most of the time, instead of waddling into magical plot devices, and when he does waddle into a plot device it still takes him effort to use it. I hope Caliborn wins the comic.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Freak Futanari posted:

I like Caliborn, because he actually puts effort into things, most of the time, instead of waddling into magical plot devices, and when he does waddle into a plot device it still takes him effort to use it. I hope Caliborn wins the comic.

Vriska puts a lot of effort into things as well, such as mind controlling hundreds of trolls, and leveling up, and making pirate costumes. I'm rooting for her.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Vriska puts a lot of effort into things as well, such as mind controlling hundreds of trolls, and leveling up, and making pirate costumes. I'm rooting for her.

I unironically agree.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yep. Calliope had the artistic ability and self awareness. Caliborn is literally incapable of having those things because his species is deliberately mentally stunted until one half achieves dominance. Which can never happen now.

So I suppose the flip side is that Calliope is stunted in a different manner, specifically she lacks confidence and despite all the amazing things she can imagine and express she has almost no drive to make those things a reality.

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Exactly. This is what I want in a protagonist. They should both win, in a somehow compatible manner.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Who What Now posted:

So I suppose the flip side is that Calliope is stunted in a different manner, specifically she lacks confidence and despite all the amazing things she can imagine and express she has almost no drive to make those things a reality.

Perseverence is Caliborn's greatest quality, and conversely, when Calliope set out to find her alternate self she barely even started. I'd never really considered that they mirror what each other lacked but it's a good observation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's easier to admire Caliborn when he's not talking. But it would be an appropriate victory to find a way to be reconciled with the antagonist.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tenebrais posted:

Perseverence is Caliborn's greatest quality, and conversely, when Calliope set out to find her alternate self she barely even started. I'd never really considered that they mirror what each other lacked but it's a good observation.

That's why I think Scratch has so many features in common with Calliope. Caliborn is going to recognize that he needs someone with the subtlty and creativity he lacks, so he'll create a surrogate sister that he can boss around without all that "related to me" and "is a girl" bullshit.

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

Or he's going to brute-force being subtle and creative, and will succeed while being Caliborn, and it's going to be inspiring as hell.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If at first you don't succeed just do the same thing over and over again through mindless attrition until it all works out without you having to learn a thing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Who What Now posted:

All I can think of is Caliborn's Enter flash, where he awakens, immediately rips his leg off with his teeth, and basically starts ruining people. He may be a malicious rear end in a top hat, but he's definitely not afraid to get poo poo done.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pyronic posted:

so her hiding spot is just like in his dumb head?

Or on. Seems like the furthest void might be inside his Wacom Tablet. Jade did walk on a long spiral to get to her right? Now look at all that stuff Caliborn walked over during his dream sequence* And the big scribble ring.

(*at least I called Caliborn passing out from his beating right)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Freak Futanari posted:

For all that he's an immature manchild, he lacks the drama that is so emblematic of many of the kids and trolls. He's refreshingly evil, almost endearingly even, and if I had a choice between the oft-romantically-based angst of the original protagonists (aside from John, who seems mostly confused, and Roxy, who seems mostly drunk,) and Caliborn killing everyone gleefully, I'd take the latter in a heartbeat.

Then again, I loved the Overlord series partly because the villain actually wins, so maybe I'm not a very good person to give an opinion on things of this nature.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Triskelli posted:

That's why I think Scratch has so many features in common with Calliope. Caliborn is going to recognize that he needs someone with the subtlty and creativity he lacks, so he'll create a surrogate sister that he can boss around without all that "related to me" and "is a girl" bullshit.

I actually made a tumblr post about that today! The entire deal with Doc Scratch is that he basically wanted Alternia to play around with so he could write troll fanfiction, and that is nothing that Caliborn would do. I think that Caliborn's killing of Calliope wasn't complete and left some type of fragments of Calliope's mind in him, and that is what leads to Caliborn becoming Doc Scratch, who then becomes Lord English.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The thing about caliborn is that he greatly develops, overcomes and through sheer perseverance makes the universe back down. But whenever he does that, he actually becomes a worse person. Basically everything he's ever gained has made everything worse for everyone and he got it all through sheer inability to give up. I mean, he went through a nigh-unwinnable and incredibly tedious hellsession and from it gained amazing power and this power made him even more spoiled and irreverent towards other people. Then he became an artist and the same thing happened until john beat him up, which made him cotton on to the idea of whining at people to make them give him money.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

YggiDee posted:

He may be a malicious rear end in a top hat, but he's definitely not afraid to get poo poo done.

The ultimate goon fantasy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tenebrais posted:

It holds especially true now because Calliope is completely incapable of acting even if she did want to.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Caliborn is pretty great. Because not only is he a combination of the worst parts of people on the internet, the homestuck fandom, and the narrative of homestuck itself, he is also a hardcore badass. He bit off his own leg and smiled about it, he grinned as he got sucked into a black hole, he won a nigh-unbeatable single player game of Sburb thanks to his prodigal skills in the art of murder, and he is the only person to have made any significant progress on God Tier levels (probably because he never finished the game and just decided to keep murdering).

He's an idiotic child who is unable to think he can be wrong in any way and so brute forces his way through problems with his original solution for them, even if that solution should by all means not be possible. He is unable to adapt and think of a more efficient or practical answer to a problem so he'll mindlessly stick with his first idea until by some miracle, and by making the method as over-complicated as possible, he will somehow succeed. Just proving that he was right all along and fuelling his enormous ego, even though anyone with half a brain could have solved the issue 10 times faster than him.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

...anyone with half a brain...

But that's exactly Caliborn's problem :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Freak Futanari posted:

He writes a piece of poo poo webcomic, as opposed to merely reading/complaining about one. Truly superior to the majority of goons; worthy of our praise and unthinking financial support.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I also like Caliborn because unlike Hussie i can actually see him finishing his Kickstarter project.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Who What Now posted:

It holds especially true now because Calliope is completely incapable of acting even if she did want to.

...but there's a stage right there? :crossarms:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Renaissance Robot posted:

...but there's a stage right there? :crossarms:

:downsrim:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
The best part of the Nov 1 update is the newspost:

Hussie posted:

I asked somebody how bitcoins worked, and the absolute worst case scenario happened. Bitcoins were explained to me. So obviously I axed that idea

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I feel like we probably should've met Caliborn and Calliope earlier to help build them up more, but Caliborn's doing a great job of steamrolling his way to the title of main villain/terrible person regardless. He's strangely compelling in his horribleness for all kinds of reasons.

The weird thing about his situation though is he couldn't really help becoming who he is. From birth he and his sister were put into an artificial environment to make sure they play the game. He was born as a naturally "evil" half of a Cherub, and the game afforded him a way to kill Calliope that most Cherubs wouldn't have but would've used if they could. The game presented him with an unwinnable session that could only be beat if he was even more of a bull-headed monster. Gamzee and the Felt appeared to help groom him into who he is today. If he'd faltered along the path at any point he'd be dead, the circumstances of his life ensured he could only be this.

This isn't even taking into account all the time loops that depend on Lord English existing and Caliborn being a monster, or that were involved in making these things happen. Who is actually responsible for Caliborn? Doc Scratch once said he was "Sanctioned by Paradox Space", does that mean that having Lord English wrecking up the multiverse is Part Of The Plan, and if so, whose?

Is Caliborn actually the main villain of Homestuck?

(Yes obviously come on what are you talking about.)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Funnily enough it's probably Lord English himself who orchestrated the events to force Caliborn to become LE. I mean, Gamzee is instrumental to the whole thing and it's pretty clear at this point that he's been influenced by lil Cal the same way Union Jack has (he has the same constantly colour changing eyes), so the person who helped Caliborn become LE was made to do so by LE himself.

Time paradox's and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Greatbacon posted:

The best part of the Nov 1 update is the newspost:

This being the internet, have there been any huge Bitcoin fans who are also MSPA fans who got really fuckin' pissed over that joke?