Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
a holocube is probably one of those 3d led matrices, which is interestingly ironic considering someone was just asking about those very things here a couple of days ago, in a identical application as it seems to be in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Speculation: They're going to launch the Radeon RX Vega Limited Edition now, with the actual consumer cards following some time in September.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Wirth1000 posted:

AnandTech got the sw8 a$$ pics of dem Radeon RX Vegas in liquid and air cool configuration... and a Threadripper apparently.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11677/spotted-amds-radeon-rx-vega-air-liquid-cooled

I like how the stock cooler for those looks like something a grade school shop class would machine up. I'd say high school but there's not enough LEDZ.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Of course Hardware Canucks has better photos than anyone...

https://twitter.com/hardwarecanucks/status/891468045302083585

This seems optimistic. Cannot tell if sarcasm.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anarchist Mae posted:

hardware canucks doesnt do real work. Their benchmarks are often flawed in some way that would make any reputable person throw out the data and start over. They use a lot of "feelings" and opinions instead of verified data.

Numbers dont lie, gimme dat fps/inch AMD

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Anarchist Mae posted:

https://twitter.com/hardwarecanucks/status/891467348187766784

Awaiting the r/AMD monitors to connect the dots to them being obvious paid AMD shills

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

hardware canucks doesnt do real work. Their benchmarks are often flawed in some way that would make any reputable person throw out the data and start over. They use a lot of "feelings" and opinions instead of verified data.

Yes no doubt about it. Hardware Canucks is where you go to see a case or a monitor in it's best light. Their photography is second to none but their reviews are sometimes hilariously awful, especially their audio device reviews.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
AMD: Haha look at our glorious weasel word marketing with obvious review shills partners while our competitor is so desperate they are giving out their "poor Volta" samples to the poors that ends up buying 6/7/8 digits worth of compute GPUs. We are *clearly* the GPU leader here!

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Looks like the price rumours were right . I found a Norwegian webshop listing the Sapphire RX Vega 64 Limited Edition for NOK 7211 excluding sales tax. That's $925.

Screenshot in case the listing disappears:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Nothing screams confidence in your product like not streaming your launch event.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RadeonPro/status/891109514845372417

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
@RadeonPro tweeted: New RX Vega just totally beat the 1080ti in every test! HUGE results! All the poor results are FAKE NEWS!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

HardwareCanucks hasn't even benchmarked the card yet, they're hyping it based on nothing but AMDs slide deck :eng99:

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/891580549403258880

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

@RadeonPro tweeted: New RX Vega just totally beat the 1080ti in every test! HUGE results! All the poor results are FAKE NEWS!

Can't wait for the real benchmark suite on Fox & Friends.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Pricing temporarily leaked from newegg:

AMD Radeon RX Vega: $499
AMD Radeon RX Vega Limited Edition Model: $549
AMD Radeon RX Vega Liquid Cooler Model: $599
AMD Radeon RX Vega Liquid Cooler Limited Edition Model: $649
------
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid: base 1406 MHz / boost 1677 MHz
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Limited: base 1247 MHz / boost 1546 MHz
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64: base 1247 MHz / boost 1546 MHz

https://videocardz.com/71090/amd-radeon-rx-vega-3dmark-fire-strike-performance

Looking like the Liquid version is about on par with the the 1080 and about 27% slower than the Ti whilst mos tlikely launching at the same price. I think this is going to be a very tough pill to swallow for anyone not holding onto a freesync monitor, especially with 1080's being pretty easy to find at a 499/509 price point right now, even with miner inflation.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD PR posted:

AMD appreciates the excitement and curiosity surrounding the Radeon Holocube. The Radeon Holocube was developed as a prototype and at this time, it is one of very few that exist in the world. The Holocube will not be shipping with Radeon RX Vega in August

well i'm definitely not getting a vega now

no holocube no sale

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Thank goodness its not $1000 for sub 1070 performance!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Please be a great card vega so Nvidia drop prices on their best cards. I am begging ya.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Michael Jackson posted:

Please be a great card vega so Nvidia drop prices on their best cards. I am begging ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdcjJoXeEY

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
RX Vega 56 is supposedly 399$, so depending on how it benches it might be the only thing worth considering.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

:negative:

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

FaustianQ posted:

RX Vega 56 is supposedly 399$, so depending on how it benches it might be the only thing worth considering.

$399 is still going to be a hard pill to swallow when full fat vega is barely ahead of 1070's in anything but Doom / optimized synthetics.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

repiv posted:

no holocube no sale
Wait, did they announce what the Holocube is or have they gone straight from announcing "We have a Holocube" to "You can't have one"

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Wait, did they announce what the Holocube is or have they gone straight from announcing "We have a Holocube" to "You can't have one"

That's how you build hype. Duh.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

nerdrum posted:

$399 is still going to be a hard pill to swallow when full fat vega is barely ahead of 1070's in anything but Doom / optimized synthetics.

That's not what most reviews of the FE even said, rather it's performance varies within the spectrum between a 1070 and a 1080 but much closer to the 1080 overall. It's also been shown that Vega is a hella bottlenecked so I'd put good money on the RX Vega 56 not being far behind the XTX/XTX.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

FaustianQ posted:

That's not what most reviews of the FE even said, rather it's performance varies within the spectrum between a 1070 and a 1080 but much closer to the 1080 overall. It's also been shown that Vega is a hella bottlenecked so I'd put good money on the RX Vega 56 not being far behind the XTX/XTX.

how much money

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If those NewEgg prices are correct, this is way less of a shitshow than I thought.

E: I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NewFatMike posted:

If those NewEgg prices are correct, this is way less of a shitshow than I thought.

E: I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

I'm a little unclear on what you're getting here, is "RX Vega" the XT and "RX Vega 64" the XTX with the higher power limit? Someone mentioned a "RX Vega 56", I guess that would be the XL?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If they hit the $499 MSRP, its not too much of a disaster. Cheapest 1080 on PCPartPicker is $515, cheapest 1070 is $440. They will still only sell a fraction of what the 1070 or 1080 moves though, if the RX 480 vs 1060 ratio is anything to go by. And their margins can't be very nice at this price range.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
As if this is any surprise but its priced just low enough to spark the most arguments

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

no holocube no sale

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

1gnoirents posted:

As if this is any surprise but its priced just low enough to spark the most arguments
It seems like it'll be just one argument: do you already have a FreeSync panel?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Preemptive pricedrop for 10x0 and/or launch announcement for 20x0, come ooooooon...:pray:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm a little unclear on what you're getting here, is "RX Vega" the XT and "RX Vega 64" the XTX with the higher power limit? Someone mentioned a "RX Vega 56", I guess that would be the XL?

It looks like the XL is the 56 CU piece, the XTs look like 64 CU pieces.

What I really meant is that the pricing looks in line with what I had hoped they would be (1070/1080 area).

There is an evil part of my brain that had hoped the Swedish prices were reflective of US prices because as much as I love to root for AMD, I do like to watch unmitigated dumpster fires every once in a while.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
If the rumored Newegg prices are true then that is a lot better than the rumored european prices. As far as the prices themselves, they are not bad but not really good either. I was hoping it would be $50-$100 cheaper, but at least these prices are reasonable and give people with Freesync monitors a high end option. I'm also interested in the price and performance of the cut down version, it could be the better option in the end.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

FaustianQ posted:

What?

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2973-amd-vega-frontier-edition-reviewed-too-soon-to-call/page-4

On actual, non synthetic or optimized benchmarks the device is about 5% +/- to a 1070 FE across the board, and this is for a full fat 64 CU device drawing 400 watts. Do you think a cut down version of this device is seriously going to be competitive at the same price as a 1070?

Also, how much money are you betting? I will very much take this bet.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

nerdrum posted:

What?

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2973-amd-vega-frontier-edition-reviewed-too-soon-to-call/page-4

On actual, non synthetic or optimized benchmarks the device is about 5% +/- to a 1070 FE across the board, and this is for a full fat 64 CU device drawing 400 watts. Do you think a cut down version of this device is seriously going to be competitive at the same price as a 1070?

Also, how much money are you betting? I will very much take this bet.

That's the blower edition, which was throttling massively, not the liquid cooled one which did consistently perform around the 1080. Gamers Nexus did a follow up with a Hybrid http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2986-amd-vega-hybrid-mod-results-overclocking-liquid-vs-air/page-3. This is probably fairly reflective of the liquid cooled Vega 64 performance. I'd say that the throttling behavior of the full fat Vega means the FE Blower is probably reflective of the cutdown Vega +/-5%, and toying with voltages should provide lower power draw, better thermals and more consistent boost. Vega has also shown itself to be a design bottlenecked on geometry yet loving again, just like Fiji, so my estimation is that a similar scenario will play out where full fat Fiji is only ~5-10% faster than cut down Fury and only in specific scenarios.

I'm not trying to excuse this poo poo show, I'm just theorizing where the best value likely is based on history and similar circumstances.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

That's the blower edition, which was throttling massively, not the liquid cooled one which did consistently perform around the 1080. Gamers Nexus did a follow up with a Hybrid http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2986-amd-vega-hybrid-mod-results-overclocking-liquid-vs-air/page-3. This is probably fairly reflective of the liquid cooled Vega 64 performance. I'd say that the throttling behavior of the full fat Vega means the FE Blower is probably reflective of the cutdown Vega +/-5%, and toying with voltages should provide lower power draw, better thermals and more consistent boost. Vega has also shown itself to be a design bottlenecked on geometry yet loving again, just like Fiji, so my estimation is that a similar scenario will play out where full fat Fiji is only ~5-10% faster than cut down Fury and only in specific scenarios.

I'm not trying to excuse this poo poo show, I'm just theorizing where the best value likely is based on history and similar circumstances.

PCPer reviewed the actual liquid-cooled model, they put the combined effect of the liquid-cooler and the 375W TDP limit as ~10% over the basic blower cooler model. Roughly on par with the 1080 in general.

Yeah, the XL seems to be the most promising model in the lineup. I struggle to see how you could command a 50% higher price on the XT air-cooled or close to 100% more on the XTX liquid-cooled for 10% more performance.

Also, that means that the die-harvested versions are barely going to be faster than a Fury X. Because you take that 10% off for the liquid cooler/power limit, and then you lose another 10% of cores on top of that (although yes, the geometry bottleneck and higher per-core power limit on XL may mitigate that somewhat at lower resolutions). At a $500 MSRP, while using way more power.

The price-to-performance on the XL SKUs are still probably going to be worse than if you had bought a Fury X 6 months ago.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 30, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

PCPer reviewed the actual liquid-cooled model, they put the combined effect of the liquid-cooler and the 375W TDP limit as ~10% over the basic blower cooler model. Roughly on par with the 1080 in general.

Yeah, the XL seems to be the most promising model in the lineup. I struggle to see how you could command a 50% higher price on the XT air-cooled or close to 100% more on the XTX liquid-cooled for 10% more performance.

Also, that means that the die-harvested versions are barely going to be faster than a Fury X. Because you take that 10% off for the liquid cooler/power limit, and then you lose another 10% of cores on top of that (although yes, the geometry bottleneck and higher per-core power limit on XL may mitigate that somewhat at lower resolutions). At a $500 MSRP, while using way more power.

The price-to-performance on the XL SKUs are still probably going to be worse than if you had bought a Fury X 6 months ago.

XL is 399$ supposedly, not 499$, and based on the GN review for the blower, seems to hover around a 980ti/1070 outside of really optimized scenarios unlike the Fury X. I have a 1440p Freesync monitor and a 290X, so 980ti performance while being inside being inside the same thermal and power envelope of the 290X seem pretty good to me (about a 40-50% increase in GPU power). For Hawaii/Grenada owners it's not that bad of a trade up even if the raw price/perf isn't really there compared to old fire sale unlockable Sapphire cards. For anyone with Polaris, it may just be better to get another.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

XL is 399$ supposedly, not 499$, and based on the GN review for the blower, seems to hover around a 980ti/1070 outside of really optimized scenarios unlike the Fury X. I have a 1440p Freesync monitor and a 290X, so 980ti performance while being inside being inside the same thermal and power envelope of the 290X seem pretty good to me (about a 40-50% increase in GPU power). For Hawaii/Grenada owners it's not that bad of a trade up even if the raw price/perf isn't really there compared to old fire sale unlockable Sapphire cards. For anyone with Polaris, it may just be better to get another.

Where are you getting $399? The cheapest price listed there is $499.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paul MaudDib posted:

Where are you getting $399? The cheapest price listed there is $499.

Vega 56 is the Vega "XL" variant, and is now rumored to be $399.

Heavy salt: WCCFtech: AMD RX Vega 64 & 56 Pricing Leaked – $499 & $399 Respectively, Liquid Cooled Model To Cost $599

Also, never Google just "Vega XL". :laugh: