Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
number of saves does have a noticible impact on load times, for some reason. save your good dudes to the character pool and keep a couple for testing maybe, but less is better.

or just move them to a backup folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Just started playing this and am a bit confused about the dlc. Not sure if I'm just being stupid and missing something obvious, but I can't seem to get the dlc missions to function. My first go with the tutorial turned on the missions came up like they are apparently supposed to, but on starting a new campaign they don't.

I'm currently playing without WOTC, so the checkbox that comes up at the start of the campaign just has the two options for Alien Hunters and Shen, but no matter if they're ticked or not the special weapons will be available to buy in engineering straight away after the first mission. I've played further on a few times and at some point the viper king will appear in a random mission without being found first in the special dlc one which does not appear on the map at all. As far as I can tell, the game is acting as if the boxes for the "optional narrative content" are unchecked.

Any ideas? This is the switch version by the way, so it's not a mod conflict.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Austen Tassletine posted:

Just started playing this and am a bit confused about the dlc. Not sure if I'm just being stupid and missing something obvious, but I can't seem to get the dlc missions to function. My first go with the tutorial turned on the missions came up like they are apparently supposed to, but on starting a new campaign they don't.

I'm currently playing without WOTC, so the checkbox that comes up at the start of the campaign just has the two options for Alien Hunters and Shen, but no matter if they're ticked or not the special weapons will be available to buy in engineering straight away after the first mission. I've played further on a few times and at some point the viper king will appear in a random mission without being found first in the special dlc one which does not appear on the map at all. As far as I can tell, the game is acting as if the boxes for the "optional narrative content" are unchecked.

Any ideas? This is the switch version by the way, so it's not a mod conflict.

Make sure you turned off "Integrated DLC" when you make a new game.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

Make sure you turned off "Integrated DLC" when you make a new game.

That option only seems to be available with WOTC. When running it I get four choices: lost and abandoned, integrate dlc, Alien Hunters, and Shen. Vanilla only has the two choices of alien Hunters and Shen.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
I've done some digging in the steam and 2k forums, and found a some posts from a few years ago with people having this issue. Apparently, the problem is the menu not properly recognising gamepad inputs. It would just tick the box, but not actually change anything.

When using a mouse or keyboard, it seemed to solve the problem for them.

I'm playing on a switch.

Which tend not to have either.

I'm genuinely lost for words.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Try using the touchscreen to select the options?

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Good thinking, but no touchscreen support.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Multimod for openxcom is brutal- they made the higher tiers of guns somewhat sidegradey but giving small launchers with explosive rounds snap shot(reaction fire) and plasma pistols autofire is nice. The aliens are really tough on superhuman in this mod and it's interesting, though the grenade strats seem to be the best way to go.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Good thinking, but no touchscreen support.

simply scavenge some alien technology to reverse engineer the switch and add mouse/keyboard support. easy

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

simply scavenge some alien technology to reverse engineer the switch and add mouse/keyboard support. easy

Won't I need to research hybrid materials first?

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
I've managed to do a work around, in case it's any use to anyone else. By deleting all saved data and starting afresh, the game defaults to the dlc options already being on. Starting a new game after that switches then off, in which state they remain unless you delete everything again.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Decided to give XCOM2 another go. Is there a mod that removes the stupid railroady bullshit from the tutorial so I'm not automatically forced to gently caress up my Avenger layout? I just want the story bits without any of the stupid bullshit decisions the game forces on you.

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 29, 2020

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Isn't there a skip tutorial checkbox in the new game setup options?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

QuantaStarFire posted:

Decided to give XCOM2 another go. Is there a mod that removes the stupid railroady bullshit from the tutorial so I'm not automatically forced to gently caress up my Avenger layout? I just want the story bits without any of the stupid bullshit decisions the game forces on you.

These are options in the main game menu. You don't need mods for it at all.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ripper Swarm posted:

Isn't there a skip tutorial checkbox in the new game setup options?

Ravenfood posted:

These are options in the main game menu. You don't need mods for it at all.

Last I checked, if you disable the tutorial, it skips the initial rescue mission and the follow-up; instead, you do Gatecrasher. So you miss out on all the little story bits associated with the tutorial. If you enable the tutorial, you do those missions, but skip Gatecrasher, and get railroaded for a bit as the game forces you to pick specific research and facility options, rather than leaving those decisions up to the player. So I'm asking if there's a mod that removes those forced elements, so I can have the story bits without being forced into making awful decisions by the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh, I guess most people are happy on their subsequent playthroughs to skip the tutorial. The default base layout might not be perfect for minmax munchkining, but then again that's not a concern on your first playthrough is it? Just play the game. And no I do not know of any mods that take the tutorial out of the turorial.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Lemony posted:

Ran into the Berserker Queen for the first time. It was on a place on the map I was not expecting and patrolled into me.

My one support dude on overwatch got a shot off and procced the repeater instakill. Very funny, if a bit anticlimactic.

In my recent playthrough I found the Snake King protecting a facility.

Carefully setup a trap of 4 proxy mines and a sticky claymore.

And my Support repeater also instakilled it, so much so the proxy mines didn't even detonate.

:flaccid:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a crazy person who plays with mods that add more bosses and clones of the rulers so I love reapeater kills and banish very much

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Man, multimod is hell:

And the small launcher has lethal ammo and can snapshot in this mod so yeah.

I mean, xpiratez and xcom filez have their own bullshit but i've been avoiding the sprawling mods for now. The first month is absolute hell.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

OxySnake posted:

In my recent playthrough I found the Snake King protecting a facility.

Carefully setup a trap of 4 proxy mines and a sticky claymore.

And my Support repeater also instakilled it, so much so the proxy mines didn't even detonate.

:flaccid:

I've been carrying freeze grenades for this purpose. They are so useful in general, but especially against those special bosses.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Won't I need to research hybrid materials first?

Bad news, you actually need to interrogate a Lobsterman Navigator.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2303361350

saw this on the workshop earlier

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The milk bottle grenade belt!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

You found Santa in the workshop? :dadjoke:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Serephina posted:

Oh, I guess most people are happy on their subsequent playthroughs to skip the tutorial. The default base layout might not be perfect for minmax munchkining, but then again that's not a concern on your first playthrough is it? Just play the game. And no I do not know of any mods that take the tutorial out of the turorial.

I get what they're saying, though. If you want the intro story bits and to have Jane Kelly in your roster (and see a couple rare Chosen reaction voice lines), you have to go through the whole 'click here now click here now shoot at this specific guy and do these exact dumb things to lose two of your soldiers' mission, which is slow and boring, and then you get forced into a few early game build choices. I keep thinking about going back and playing through with the tutorial on, since it's been a long time since I did that, and it would be nice to have a mission that followed the intro cinematic as intended, instead of jumping to gatecrasher. But I usually play legendary for the extended campaign length, so it's not an option. Would have been nice if they kept that mission in even without the tutorial, but just let you play it however you wanted.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The entire point of the tutorial is to kill 3/4 of your squad, so you get Jane Kelly; Ranger and 3 rookies on your first actual mission (plus base building stuff). Gatecrasher is mandatory canon, and it doesn't override the into plot at all. If what a player wants is 'Intro mission, but not scripted? and can I control my base building please?'... it's called Gatecrasher. You can even import Jane Kelly into your roster! iirc the game treats her identical (Chosen etc) except for her first promotion.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BobTheJanitor posted:

I get what they're saying, though. If you want the intro story bits and to have Jane Kelly in your roster (and see a couple rare Chosen reaction voice lines), you have to go through the whole 'click here now click here now shoot at this specific guy and do these exact dumb things to lose two of your soldiers' mission, which is slow and boring, and then you get forced into a few early game build choices. I keep thinking about going back and playing through with the tutorial on, since it's been a long time since I did that, and it would be nice to have a mission that followed the intro cinematic as intended, instead of jumping to gatecrasher. But I usually play legendary for the extended campaign length, so it's not an option. Would have been nice if they kept that mission in even without the tutorial, but just let you play it however you wanted.

Gatecrasher is a part of all that though. You're setting up the distraction that enables the tutorial mission to sneak in and nab the commander. Well, your troops are, you're still sitting in your special suit until after the mission ends.

I personally find it pretty neat to play the mission from multiple angles that happen simultaneously.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

You found Santa in the workshop? :dadjoke:

lol

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ladies and gentlemen, we got em.

After trying to get through the megamods i decided to scale back and play reaver's mod and it's fun and straightforward by comparison. I don't know if it's all that fun on superhuman because the armor on high tier enemies gets kinda crazy so you're stuck with certain weapons but still, on the lower difficulties it can be fun.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So, playing WOTC today and I saw a muton do something I've not really seen before.

I've not played the game a ton, just keeping that in mind.

I'm still fairly early game (Only just got to predator/magnetic) and at the start of a mission there are 2 small pods that walk into each other, I pull them both. 2 mutons and 2 advent troopers. I kill 3 of them off, and the last muton runs for it. A little odd of a muton, but whatever so I chase them. They run and stand in the next pod, so I pull that pod but the muton runs again straight away.

He does the same thing for another 2 pods, legs it (my sniper missing shots on him the whole way) and sits in the middle of the next pod.

Never seen an enemy do that before, is it just rare?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TescoBag posted:

So, playing WOTC today and I saw a muton do something I've not really seen before.

I've not played the game a ton, just keeping that in mind.

I'm still fairly early game (Only just got to predator/magnetic) and at the start of a mission there are 2 small pods that walk into each other, I pull them both. 2 mutons and 2 advent troopers. I kill 3 of them off, and the last muton runs for it. A little odd of a muton, but whatever so I chase them. They run and stand in the next pod, so I pull that pod but the muton runs again straight away.

He does the same thing for another 2 pods, legs it (my sniper missing shots on him the whole way) and sits in the middle of the next pod.

Never seen an enemy do that before, is it just rare?

So when an enemy is alone and there are still inactive pods on the map it usually tries to join up with one of them instead of suicidally fighting you alone. It may have chosen to join the farthest pod, or if you were wiping out everything the turn you revealed it except for the Muton it may have just kept hitting the 'retreat to next pod' AI script.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Well in this case he was the last guy in the first pod so that makes sense, but by the time he'd started running I was still fighting the other pods.

Very strange!

Does that happen with every enemy and I'd just not seen it, or does it not happen often?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there a way to get Open XCom to work in widescreen resolutions without weird scaling or stretching or shrinking of the UI and play area? I keep wanting to give it an honest try since it sailed past me when I was a teen.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a way to get Open XCom to work in widescreen resolutions without weird scaling or stretching or shrinking of the UI and play area? I keep wanting to give it an honest try since it sailed past me when I was a teen.

The UI scaling options are pretty extensive in openxcom, you can have it be original, made tiny, or anything in between. There's also a letterboxed option to retain the original aspect ratio of the game.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

TescoBag posted:

Well in this case he was the last guy in the first pod so that makes sense, but by the time he'd started running I was still fighting the other pods.

Very strange!

Does that happen with every enemy and I'd just not seen it, or does it not happen often?

I see it happen pretty often if there's just one survivor of a pod, but it's not a 100% thing. Like if they can run up for a good flank on one of your soldiers, they'll often take that instead, even if it's going to get them killed next turn. I'd guess that there's some kind of AI decision tree working in the background that puts weights on different choices based on the current situation, but probably still has some randomness built in as well. Not that I have any hard evidence to back up that assumption.

AI logic fuckery is also my explanation for why sometimes it seems to lock up completely if something unexpected happens on the alien turn. Like I've noticed that if you ever manage to reveal and then kill an andromedon with overwatch fire, the game seems to have no clue what to do next. Instead of rebooting the suit into its second form, it just sits there forever, never ending the alien turn. It's like it's waiting for something to give it instructions that never come.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Completed my second L/I, cosmetic mods/fixes only. This one ended up feel a lot harder than the first time, I think because I let the Chosen get strong instead of dealing with them early. Looking back, it was the Chosen and Lost World that caused the most hassle in the mid-late game, along with a lack of elerium crystals. Only 6 dead overall but rarely a mission without wounds. I had two Chosen Avenger defense missions and one normal Avenger defense mission, which are fun but urgh. On the very final turn of the campaign, my whole crew was either unconscious, mind controlled, or dead, with only the commander suit left alive to make the last blow.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I see it happen pretty often if there's just one survivor of a pod, but it's not a 100% thing. Like if they can run up for a good flank on one of your soldiers, they'll often take that instead, even if it's going to get them killed next turn. I'd guess that there's some kind of AI decision tree working in the background that puts weights on different choices based on the current situation, but probably still has some randomness built in as well. Not that I have any hard evidence to back up that assumption.

I THINK (but don't quote me/ I am half- remembering a vague discussion) that enemies might actually have a morale system similar to XCOM's, but significantly less detailed and granular. Your troops often comment when they run away.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah the AI will sometimes flee to regroup with another pod. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like this alerts the joined pod and causes it to deviate from its patrol route to look for your soldiers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

i'm in this picture but i kinda like it so it can stay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Coolguye posted:

i'm in this picture but i kinda like it so it can stay

Somehow, I always knew you had the head of a cat.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah the AI will sometimes flee to regroup with another pod. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like this alerts the joined pod and causes it to deviate from its patrol route to look for your soldiers.

Pretty sure this is right, with the small addendum that if the joined pod was stationary to start with, they won't start moving. Which I find funny, like the ADVENT guys are just... "yeah man, we're supposed to chill here. Enemy incursions sound like a you problem."