Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Midjack posted:

Guess that's just my little part of it then. They're absolutely insane about "personal use" bullshit.

Usually the policy turns this extreme for a couple reasons:

They got burned in the past with a FOIA/lawsuit because government employees were doing work-related things on personal phones that weren't turned over for discovery and that's a real expensive shitshow.

There's a strong union and doing even a single 30 second work-related or work-adjacent thing turns into getting on-call or overtime pay and that's not in the budget.

There's a real risk of sensitive information getting leaked or stolen from personal devices and usually the only mode computer security people operate in is "opening a work email on your personal phone might cause the next 9/11" so everything everywhere is banned.

Or they just have no idea how to implement or can't afford one of the many MDM solutions designed to containerize work stuff on a personal phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Inner Light posted:

My boss and program management structure aren't great, but my boss would not be okay if someone was trying to reach me on PTO and it wasn't a real urgent need. Or that need couldn't be taken care of by someone not on PTO.

If you're regularly running into situations where you have urgent needs from people who are on PTO that's a red flag the organization has a big bus problem, I think. But because of the nature of cost minimization and capitalism you're going to run into that a lot, unless the org is better than average about it.

What if you were day drinking and drunk as hell while your sr director was calling?

Two different things here, actually!

First one, relevant to the current story: Until very recently, my team was really good about honoring personal time. The director of the group left and the guy under him was promoted into his role, and suddenly the brain worms kicked in. He went from very understanding and actually practicing what he preached, to talking out both sides of his mouth re: vacation time and what not. Like, the day before I went on vacation, I met with him about the fact that literally 100% of my team from top to bottom is capped out on vacation and hasn't been able to take more than one day off at a time since March of last year. So on Thursday he says to prioritize everyone's vacations and make projects wait, and I inform him that I'm going to take a four-day weekend because I'm capped.

Then on Friday, he starts calling me as the projects escalate. :suicide:

Second story, relevant to this:

quote:

What if you were day drinking and drunk as hell while your sr director was calling?

When I worked at Lilly in Indiana, we had 24/7 on-call and a "no alcohol at work ever, do not show up with even the slightest hint of booze on your breath" rule in the manufacturing side of the company. I specifically asked about how this was supposed to work if someone has had a beer on a Saturday night and someone called you in by surprise, and the HR rep in the orientation told me to "do the math" on whether I value beer or my paycheck more.

I quit for a variety of reasons even before my two-year vesting on my 401(k) matches (it was that bad working there), but it certainly helped tip the scale.

Ooh, I know I said two stories, but gently caress that, three. :haw:

When I was working at J&J, a VP of R&D called my phone at 7AM on a Sunday from the Netherlands demanding to know why I wasn't awake and in the office yet. Thinking he must've been confused about time zones or something (and because I was groggy as gently caress), I told him that it was Sunday. He responded with "I loving know it's Sunday, you idiot. Your boss has been e-mailing you for hours to get your rear end into the office! Get going!"

It ended up that the manufacturing department decided to change their schedule and bumped our process validation run from Monday to Sunday without telling any of us.

...and that's how I started taking anti-anxiety medications. :smith:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 14, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I turned down the Gun Company....I just cant do it.

Especially after i read this....
https://www.nhpr.org/post/sig-sauer-ceo-avoids-jail-time-role-illegal-arms-shipment

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I declined an in-person interview with a company until they could clarify the salary band, as their phone interview made it clear I would be working in-office a lot more than what I currently do. After a week of radio silence, the recruiter got back to me today, completely ignoring my salary question and simply stated he wanted to answer any questions I had about their WFH policies :laffo:

Guess it's time to :sever:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The worst part of interviewing with a "startup" is how they need/want you to talk to every. single. person. in the company. By tomorrow, I'll have gone through seven different interviews.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

HR at a job i'm leaving shortly just announced their new WFH policy, and the only people eligible to WFH are HR.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Owlspiracy posted:

HR at a job i'm leaving shortly just announced their new WFH policy, and the only people eligible to WFH are HR.

:thunk:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Owlspiracy posted:

lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Owlspiracy posted:

:hmmyes:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Owlspiracy posted:

Thread title material right here :discourse:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

'W'FH

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

the rule is that you can only WFH if you are not public facing in any way, and the only people who are not public facing (to some extent, even if its 1-2 meetings)... are HR. I was chatting with some coworkers during the Zoom meeting and we're like 'what the gently caress?'

its actually kind of impressive

someone asked if they could WFH for days in which they aren't public facing and was told no, that you are expected to be in the office at all times just in case

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 14, 2021

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Omne posted:

The worst part of interviewing with a "startup" is how they need/want you to talk to every. single. person. in the company. By tomorrow, I'll have gone through seven different interviews.

I think my personal record is 11 and I might beat it shortly.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Thread title material right here :discourse:

Give me a punchy version of it and I'll do the needful.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Owlspiracy posted:

Corporate Megathread: WFH Eligibility by HR, for HR

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Banzai 3 posted:

Corporate Megathread: WFH Eligibility by HR, for HR

Corporations, by HR, for HR.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
I know there's a lot of chatter about what percentage of people want in-office work vs hybrid vs WFH, but literally every single person I've talked to that's changing jobs has made full remote a dealbreaker. They don't care or don't believe that it will affect their career path. These are jobs in the low 100s to low 200s in digital marketing. Kinda interesting.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

stellers bae posted:

I know there's a lot of chatter about what percentage of people want in-office work vs hybrid vs WFH, but literally every single person I've talked to that's changing jobs has made full remote a dealbreaker. They don't care or don't believe that it will affect their career path. These are jobs in the low 100s to low 200s in digital marketing. Kinda interesting.

When my wife went full-remote back in 2017, she was told straight up that career progression does not exist for remote employees. She did manage a promotion while remote, but it was a hassle and a half. Now, it's going to be very interesting to see how they handle things. I've also opted to stay remote (and will only interview at places that are remote-friendly) and I'm curious if that will impact anything. Our new overlords are on the opposite side of the country, so I'm hopeful.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MickeyFinn posted:

I think my personal record is 11 and I might beat it shortly.

Yeah I did 11 for my current job. Of course, the recruiter hosed up communicating, so the last 4 of them were a surprise when I thought I was done.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Sundae posted:

new HR WFH policy: only HR can WFH

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Omne posted:

When my wife went full-remote back in 2017, she was told straight up that career progression does not exist for remote employees.

You can take the word "remote" out and it's nearly just as accurate.

You want a promotion? Find another place hiring for the job you want to move into.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Motronic posted:

You want a promotion? Find another place hiring for the job you want to move into.

Now that is a thread title.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Owlspiracy posted:

There's nothing more satisfying than telling someone to their face why you're loving off.

Motronic posted:

You can take the word "remote" out and it's nearly just as accurate.
Aaaand boom. Just work on yourself.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

evil_bunnY posted:

There's nothing more satisfying than telling someone to their face why you're loving off.

Yeah but HR is going to be working from home so they deny you that pleasure as well.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

stellers bae posted:

This makes sense that the people who are changing jobs are the ones that would feel strongest about WFH.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
HR didn't know one of the VPs was fired/quit last week and wrote them a birthday email and now he's responding to the chain because they let them use a personal email and they didn't edit it out of the group. Please do the needful and cause a scene. I need this.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Owlspiracy posted:

new HR WFH policy: only HR can WFH

WFH for all, no HR. WFH for all? No, HR!

ehh

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

In the fun corporate acronym category, my shift manager just burst out laughing from an email. He was sent notice of WAP training. It took him a few minutes to even figure out what the acronym was really for: Work Area Protection. I wonder who gets to bring up the idea to just use the words for that one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Orvin posted:

In the fun corporate acronym category, my shift manager just burst out laughing from an email. He was sent notice of WAP training. It took him a few minutes to even figure out what the acronym was really for: Work Area Protection. I wonder who gets to bring up the idea to just use the words for that one.

there's some flows in this chart

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A bucket and a mop for that work area protection. No spills!

Leave no equipment out! That big Mack truck? You know what to do.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Omne posted:

Literally my first interview after grad school was a two-day process with ~15 1-on-1 interviews at a mega corp. I got my rear end kicked so loving hard.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

Literally my first interview after grad school was a two-day process with ~15 1-on-1 interviews at a mega corp. I got my rear end kicked so loving hard.

Holy poo poo, what is the point!? To hire someone at a steeply reduced salary compared to the rest of the devs. Let's waste a year+ of the new hire's salary in dev's revenue time!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

downout posted:

Holy poo poo, what is the point!? To hire someone at a steeply reduced salary compared to the rest of the devs. Let's waste a year+ of the new hire's salary in dev's revenue time!

It's CYA all the way to the bottom. If you as the hiring manager gets a consensus of people who've interviewed this person then surely it can't be YOUR fault if they don't work out.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sundae posted:

HR: "WFH for me, but not for thee!"

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Yawgmoth posted:

This is the one.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

It's CYA all the way to the bottom. If you as the hiring manager gets a consensus of people who've interviewed this person then surely it can't be YOUR fault if they don't work out.

We have a process like this (edit: the CYA part). Or at least it feels like this this. It's elaborate and uses a bunch of senior and staff engineers time. And what do you know, the last hire was the worst dev I've worked with in 10 years. Working as intended since no one wanted to take the step to fire their rear end.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

downout posted:

We have a process like this (edit: the CYA part). Or at least it feels like this this. It's elaborate and uses a bunch of senior and staff engineers time. And what do you know, the last hire was the worst dev I've worked with in 10 years. Working as intended since no one wanted to take the step to fire their rear end.

Well that's yet another problem where front line managers who are expected to manage people have limited-to-no authority to make actual firing decisions.

All of this is what my last place turned into.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Omne posted:

Here's something I've been thinking about lately...

Anyone here ever leave stock options on the table when you left a company? How did you get over leaving that? I know "Options aren't real until they're real, so don't consider them" but was that all the justification you needed to ignore that in your calculus? Did you leave for an opportunity that provided more of a financial upside that muted what you were giving up?

My former employer is due to IPO imminently (it has publicly filed) and I left last month, missing my last tranche of options (that would have kept me there one more year), because it made sense to do so. Like everything else it’s just a trade off vs money.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

theHUNGERian posted:

That’s brutal. Was it for one position, or some weird inter company recruiting war where the managers fought for different interviewees?

My company does the old “3-4 1-on-1 interviews, but really it’s is closer to 10 if you count the opinions of the lower level staff that take you out to lunch” maneuver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yawgmoth posted:

:emptyquote:

Omne posted:

Here's something I've been thinking about lately...

Anyone here ever leave stock options on the table when you left a company? How did you get over leaving that? I know "Options aren't real until they're real, so don't consider them" but was that all the justification you needed to ignore that in your calculus? Did you leave for an opportunity that provided more of a financial upside that muted what you were giving up?

The options part of long term rewards has always been peanuts, especially after tax, and the new company offered a load of RSUs as compensation.

RSUs I'd consider hanging onto a job until the next distribution.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 15, 2021