Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

My god! DOOM!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Trade madness continues:

Llamas send:
Eddie Plank 1911

Generics send:
Jackie Robinson 1949

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

kw0134 posted:

Trade madness continues:

Llamas send:
Eddie Plank 1911

Generics send:
Jackie Robinson 1949

yeah, approved

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Well, this is it. If the Dukaki win this game, I'll have to do a 3-way tiebreaker...

Yes! Thank you, Chad Bradford! I knew there was a reason I traded you!

Head-to-head tiebreaker means the Dads are moving on, babey!

Team Statistics

Nowhere near enough Pete Alexanders to survive in this group. Not with Chapman betraying you.

This wasn't the worst team ever, but it was terribly unfit for its home ballpark.

Wait, was Greg Luzinski supposed to be in your lineup? Oh, whatever, it worked.

Right-handed hitters' status: Not great, but much less terrible than in the regular season.

EC Pick 'em: The Gauntlet, Round 3
Pick TWO!

Florida Keys
Philadelphia Lifebuoys
Post-Apocalyptic Survivors
Your Dad's Beer League Team

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 14, 2016

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ice To Meet You posted:

Pick TWO!

Florida Keys
Philadelphia Lifebuoys

Survivors
Keys

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Pick TWO!

Florida Keys
Philadelphia Lifebuoys

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ice To Meet You posted:

Pick TWO!

Florida Keys
Philadelphia Lifebuoys

Beer Dads
Survivors

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Keys
Dad's Beer

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
So long, Barbarians. You sucked and died, like all martial classes. As much as I'd like to continue the gag of swearing by Aroldis Chapman with the next team I make, I think next time I'll try for someone who chokes less.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

So long, Barbarians. You sucked and died, like all martial classes. As much as I'd like to continue the gag of swearing by Aroldis Chapman with the next team I make, I think next time I'll try for someone who chokes less.

Rollie Fingers is clearly your guy then.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pick 'em
Keys and Beer

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XX, Dynamo League Divisional Series: RCMP vs. Slaughterhouse Nine

The following contest, scheduled for the best three out of five games, is a Dynamo League Divisional Series. The winner will face the Sindhi Sheikhs in the Dynamo League Championship Series.

Introducing first, from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, they are the most decorated Canadian team in Super-League history, they are the reigning two-time Sic Transit Vir Division Champions and the former Dynamo League Champions, the RCMP!

And their opponents, from Dresden in der Freistaat Sachsen, Deutschland, they are the reigning Memento Mori Division Champions. Representing Monateam, Slaughterhouse Nine!

Game 1: RCMP @ Slaughterhouse Nine (Series Tied 0-0)

Don May posted:

NINE WIN OPENER 4-3 IN TEN INNINGS

Dresden- By the standards of this first round of the playoffs, it was a thrilling game.

After all, in the first three of these first round series, there were three sweeps, as the Sheikhs, Doom and Panderers simply annihilated their opposition to move further in the playoffs. With this last matchup between RCMP and Nine being all that is left, it was hoped that these two teams, even if unable to produce a series for the ages, could at least make something mildly dramatic happen.

In this game, at least, they did that.

John Ward had been pitching a great game for the Nine, holding the RCMP to just one run over the first eight innings, and, as the Nine held a 3-1 lead, needed just three more outs to get the win. Ward, having thrown less than 90 pitches in those eight innings of work, had plenty of energy left, and quickly got both Billy Hamilton and Riggs Stephenson to hit grounders back to him, leaving the RCMP just one out to work with. Tris Speaker, not willing to go down so quietly, hit an easy single to left field, and then advanced on defensive indifference. Babe Ruth, similarly not eager to let the game end before he made his mark, hit a double of his own, scoring Tris. That brought up Lou Gehrig, who hit one more single to tie the game 3-3 before Ward finally got the final out of the inning when Ernie Banks grounded to second.

In the bottom of the ninth, the RCMP turned to Billy Wagner, one of them, at any rate, to keep the game going. After letting Albert Pujols single to right to start the inning, DannoMack considered bringing in another pitcher, though, his bullpen being what it was, the next pitcher would likely be the other Billy Wagner. That being the case, he let Wagner keep going, and Wagner rewarded him by getting three quick outs.

Now in the tenth, the RCMP tried to take the lead, only for the bottom half of their order to struggle mightily, even if they got two fluke hits to look momentarily threatening. Riggs Stephenson, though, ended the threat with a groundout.

As DannoMack had taken Billy Wagner out of the game for a pinch-hitter in the tenth, though, he'd have to bring in a new pitcher for the bottom of the inning. He chose to use the other Billy Wagner, likely believing that the first Billy Wagner had been effective in relief, and there was no reason to think that the other Billy Wagner would be any different. Brian Downing led off the inning, and after taking a fastball for strike one, turned on the next pitch, sending it into the right field bleachers for the game-winning dinger.

After the game, Smasher Dynamo, holding a joint press conference with Monicro and DannoMack, announced that, given the trauma of the past few days, that he would be attempting to keep things light, and demanded that this series featured no negativity, citing the unpleasantness of Slug Lyfe's "Fuckfest 2016" as the proximate reason for trying to cool things down.

"Why would I be negative, though?" Monicro asked. "My team won the game! And it's okay that it took until extra innings, because we still won and it was cool, especially since Bill Hands pitched good in relief, and Smasher was always saying, 'Bill Hands isn't a real closer, Monicro', and now he can see that I was right."

"That's kind of negative, Monicro." Smasher interrupted. "Let's keep it light."

"I mean, it's good that people learn things! Like you learned that Bill Hands is a good reliever!" Monicro answered.

"No." Smasher shook his head, "Just because he had one good outing doesn't mean that." Smasher caught himself, "Okay, I see, I was getting a bit negative there, so, let's keep it light. So, Monicro, I'm glad that, in this one isolated instance, that is not necessarily reflective of a larger trend, that Bill Hands did okay in relief."

"Bill Hands is good!" Monicro nodded. "He's my friend! Like Mornacale-"

"Mornacale is no one's friend!" Smasher shouted before calming himself down. "Mornacale is a fine human being, who I hope some day feels better about life." Smasher said through gritted teeth. "He's a good guy, a real good guy."

"I'm not sure that being positive means that you have to lie, Smasher." DannoMack said. "In any event, I'm happy that Monicro was able to win this game. After, even when, I mean, even if he loses this series, it will be nice for him to have this nice, warm memory of winning a game before the darkness comes."

"See, that whole 'before the darkness comes' is exactly the sort of language that I'm trying to steer us away from." Smasher said.

"But this is before the darkness comes." DannoMack said. "I mean, there's day, and then there's night, and there's nothing negative about the sun going down, and the darkness falling. It's just a part of life. The sun will rise again the next morning, for whoever survives the night."

"Again, 'survives the night' does imply that someone is going to die." Smasher said, testily.

DannoMack shrugged, "Death is a part of life. Well, maybe not a part of life, but it's how life ends."

"That is not keeping it light, DannoMack!" Smasher protested.

"I'm keeping it as light as I can, Smasher!" DannoMack yelled back. "I'm sitting here with some kid who's team is about to get blasted right out of the playoffs by superior Canadian firepower, and I'm trying to come up with a reason for why his imminent elimination isn't a terrible thing! Because life is short, and you never know how many bites at the apple you're going to get." DannoMack took out his locket containing pictures of Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion, and shed tears on the pictures as his heart appeared to break. "You never know, Smasher, one day, it could all be gone, those pillars that you built your hopes and dreams on could be gone, gone forever."

"Hey, now, DannoMack, I know at least one pillar that you'll have forever! Kevin Pillar!" Smasher said, trying to keep things light.

"Yeah, Kevin Pillar will be around forever." DannoMack said, laughing, until, a few seconds later, he broke down in tears.

GAME NOTES

-The RCMP failed to draw a single walk in ten innings. That's bad!

-The Nine only drew one walk in nine innings. That's not much better!

-The Nine hit three home runs, which is impressive given that they only scored a total of four runs overall.

Box Score

Game 2: RCMP @ Slaughterhouse Nine (SLN Leads 1-0)

Don May posted:

RCMP PREVENT ANOTHER SWEEP WITH 7-4

Dresden- For the first time this season, a playoff series won't end with a sweep.

In today's game, the RCMP's powerful offense finally roared to life, scoring seven runs as they ran over the Nine's Juan Marichal and Rheal Cormier, and even scoring a run off of Bill Hands. In fact, the only drama in the game came in the last inning, when DannoMack, perhaps trying to prove some point, had allowed Joe McGinnity to work a fourth inning in relief, which proved to be a bridge too far, as McGinnity faltered, giving up two runs before, faced with Ken Griffey, Jr. at the plate, DannoMack finally sent in one of his Billy Wagners to clean up the mess, leading to a three-pitch strikeout to end the game.

Once again, Smasher Dynamo attempted to enforce a dictate to keep things light and positive after the game.

"I learned something." Monicro said, "And that is that you shouldn't stick your finger in an electrical socket, even if you think it will give you electrical powers." Monicro held up his hand, showing a singed finger tip on his ring finger. "It doesn't give you electrical powers at all, it just hurts your finger."

"You thought it would give you electrical powers?" Smasher asked, unable to believe Monicro.

"I didn't know that it wouldn't! You said that we shouldn't be negative anymore, so I thought that I shouldn't be negative about this, either!"

"But you could have gotten hurt!" Smasher said. "And then I'd have to find yet another substitute owner! And that would be a real pain. Do you know how hard it is to get people to be part of the Super-League?"

"But that's negative!" Monicro said, taking a drink of an ominously green liquid.

"Monicro, is that Ecto Cooler?" Smasher asked.

"What's that?" Monicro seemed confused. "This isn't cooler, it's anti-freeze, because it's getting cold outside, and I don't want to wear a coat, so if I drink anti-freeze, then I won't get cold!"

Smasher looked horrified. "No, Monicro, that's bad! Anti-Freeze isn't for drinking!"

"That's negative!" Monicro said, before falling into a coma.

Smasher sighed. "I guess now we'll need to pump his stomach. Although, to be fair, I suppose that, if you drink enough anti-freeze, you really won't need a coat. Because you'll be dead. And dead people don't need coats. Please don't drink anti-freeze, people." Smasher turned to DannoMack, "I assume you're feeling better?"

"I am." DannoMack said, "You know, there are a lot of people who think they know how to run a bullpen, especially without how the 2016 playoffs went, but let me tell you something, and that's that if you have an elite reliever, there are limits to how much you can use them. I know that, back in the '70s, you had a guy like Mike Marshall who would throw 200 innings are year in relief, but in reality, not only is there a practical limit to how much a reliever can throw, but if you're in the playoffs, don't you think that, if you're sending in your elite reliever for ten innings or something, that the other team won't be able to time them? Even the worst batters, your Rajai Davises of the world, if you will, can hit a guy if they see him enough."

"I don't know that you're being sufficiently positive right now." Smasher said.

"Joe Maddon got lucky." DannoMack said. "There, I said it."

"He didn't get lucky." Smasher said. "He had the best team, he made things harder on himself, but that was a series the Cubs should have won. And did." Smasher thought about that. "He got lucky when Chapman didn't completely gently caress up the ninth, I'll give you that."

"And the rain delay, that was lucky."

"Now, wait a minute." Smasher said. "That's not right. The Cubs' coming through in the tenth was because they had a bunch of great hitters stacked up in a row. Kyle Schwarber, Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Ben Zobrist, you get enough of those guys together, and you have a pretty good chance of scoring a run."

"Kyle Schwarber isn't a great hitter!" DannoMack said.

"Bullshit! He basically took the entire season off, and then came back in the World Series and still had his timing and plate discipline, after not playing in a real game since the first week of the season. That's great. Whatever ever else happens, Theo Epstein not throwing him in to make the Andrew Miller trade happen, well, it might have won the Cubs the World Series."

"Yeah, right, Schwarber just got lucky." DannoMack refused to concede. "Now, Edwin Encarnacion, he's a great DH."

"He sure is, and he'll do great in Boston, while the Blue Jays are trotting out Kendry Morales every day for the next three seasons!" Smasher said in a fit of pique. DannoMack immediately hung his head in an expression of abject misery. "DannoMack, I'm sorry."

"No, Smasher, it's true! The Blue Jays did sign Kendry Morales! We did it! And he's signed forever! Did you know that, in Spanish, 'Kendry Morales' means 'Unconditional Surrender?'"

"I don't think that's true." Smasher said. "Unless I really don't know how Spanish works. You know, I really don't know how Spanish works. That might be right. But I don't think it's right. And, hey, there are other free agents out there. Like Mark Trumbo?"

"Oh, god!" DannoMack broke down in tears. "Trumbo?"

"Hey, wait, now, I don't think the Jays will actually sign Trumbo." Smasher realized his mistake. "No way will they sign Trumbo, now, he'll sign with someone else! Maybe he'll sign with the Orioles again, and then the Jays' pitchers will get to pitch to him a bunch! And won't that be good. I mean, there are other power hitters in the market. Like Pedro Alvarez!"

"NO!" DannoMack gripped his head in terror. "Not Pedro Alvarez!"

"That was just an example. You know, the White Sox seem like they're having a fire sale, and maybe a guy like Melky Cabrera-"

"Melky Cabrera? But the Jays already tried that!" DannoMack said. "It had mixed results, Smasher! Oh, god, it's over! It's all over! Joey Bats, why have you forsaken me?" DannoMack fell to his knees and started praying to the heavens, "I loved you Joey Bats, why won't you come home? Plese, Joey Bats, come home! I love you, all is forgiven, oh, Joey Bats, save me, please save me!"

"I am doing a terrible job of keeping things light and positive." Smasher said.

GAME NOTES

-Billy Hamilton hit a home run! How he did it? UNKNOWN!

-Joe McGinnity is a professional innings-eater. In fact, he was an innings-eater back before the modern concept of innings eating was still essentially undeveloped.

-Babe Ruth made an error. Frankly, if Babe Ruth played today, we'd have endless articles online about how his defense and baserunning hurt his teams. Keep in mind, Ruth was a guy who once ended a World Series by getting thrown out on a stolen base, which, looking at any picture of Babe Ruth, seemed like an inherently bad idea. Still a great hitter, of course.

Box Score

Game 3: Slaughterhouse Nine @ RCMP (Series Tied 1-1)

Don May posted:

RCMP MOVE TO BRINK OF VICTORY WITH 4-3 WIN

Toronto- In Game Two, the RCMP's Rube Waddell got an easy win over the Nine with a well-pitched game.

In Game Three, the Nine's Rube Waddell took a painful loss as the RCMP edged out a 4-3 win.

Life can be that way sometimes.

The game felt tense at points, but failed to maintain the drama throughout, as both teams, seeming fatigued after the long season, did not seem at their sharpest, instead appearing eager to just get the game over with, as both teams combined for just one walk, and neither team scored a single run after the fifth inning.

Nonetheless, with the win, the RCMP moved to within one more win of advancing to the Dynamo League Championship series, and will have the chance to end the series at home in Game 4.

Having failed to bring about a spirit of lightness and positivity in the first two games of the series, each of which ended with DannoMack in tears over the mismanagement of the Toronto Blue Jays, and having accidentally convinced Monicro to drink anti-freeze to boot, Smasher decided on a new tack, instead providing both a fish and deli tray for the post-game press conference.

"Now, I ordered these from Kaufman's Deli, and I'm pretty sure that you can't be in a bad mood with all of these," Smasher stopped for a second, "Neither of you has some sort of blood pressure problem that means you can't eat salt, right?"

"But I'm only five!" Monicro said.

"Yeah, I'm good, thanks to the superior Canadian health care system." DannoMack said.

"Okay, great, then here you go, we've got all your favorite things here, we've got lox, both nova and belly, we've got some smoked sturgeon, so smoked sable, some pickled herring-" Smasher explained.

"I don't mean to be that guy, but no fresh fish?" DannoMack asked.

"I mean, these are all staples of kosher deli cuisine. Back in the day, you had to preserve fish, and you would smoke them. Sometimes pickle them." Smasher said. "It's good. Also, some tuna salad, some whitefish salad-"

Monicro looked at the lox, "Hey, that looks like sushi! From Japan! Japan is kawaii!"

Smasher nodded, "Well, much like sushi, the fish has never been cooked over high heat, and so lox does have a similar texture to sushi."

DannoMack kept looking, "So, the only types of cream cheese are plain and chives? No strawberry?"

Smasher looked confused. "What the hell is that? Strawberry cream cheese? The hell is that? Besides, look, plenty of types of bagel. You have plain, onion, pumpernickel-"

"Pumpernickel bagels?" DannoMack looked at the dark brown bagel.

"Yeah, and there's also the deli tray. You have corned beef, pastrami, turkey, salami-" Smasher moved to the other tray.

"Why is the salami so hard?" DannoMack looked increasingly concerned.

"It's hard salami, you know, you let it dry out for a while, and the moisture gets drained out. It's kind of got the same texture as a salami stick, sort of."

"A salami stick?" DannoMack asked. "What?"

Smasher stopped. "It's like a slim jim, except salami. Also, we have brisket. Now, you might be wondered what the difference between corned beef and brisket is, and, fortunately, today, you can taste the difference. Also, the difference between corned beef and pastrami. Although, let's be honest, I think we can all easily know the difference between pastrami and corned beef. Also, two types of chopped liver!"

"Two?" Monicro asked.

"Chicken and beef." Smasher said. "I personally prefer beef liver, but I know that there are a lot of people out there who prefer chicken liver, and while I don't understand it myself, but I wanted to have both available."

"And this is what you grew up eating, Smasher?" DannoMack asked.

"Yeah!" Smasher said.

"It doesn't concern you that all of this food is basically prepared with 17th century food technology?" DannoMack followed up.

"This is about the fact that like 90% of this stuff is basically salt-cured in some form or other, isn't it?" Smasher asked.

"It's a concern, I mean, that is a lot of salt." DannoMack said.

Smasher nodded, "But you can wash it down with one of these!" Smasher tossed a green soda can to DannoMack, who read the label.

"Cel-Ray?" DannoMack read. "The hell is that? Celery flavoured? This is a celery flavoured soda?" DannoMack kept staring at the can, as if unable to process what he had read. "This is a celery flavoured soda? A celery flavoured soda exists? How is that even possible? Celery doesn't even have much of a flavour! This is celery soda! How can this be?"

"It's a traditional soft drink." Smasher said. "But if you're worried about sugar, I also have some Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge soda."

"Chocolate soda?" Monicro asked, "I don't understand! Chocolate can't be soda! Smasher, I'm confused and afraid of these deli trays!"

Smasher looked at the trays, "Okay, guys, let's take a bit, because I am just loving up keeping this light." Smasher went over and got a kaiser roll and put some corned beef on it. "I mean, I'm trying." He then took the chopped beef liver and spread it on part of the roll, and then topped the sandwich off with some lox. "I mean, this looks like a solid sandwich." He showed it off to the visibly disgusted DannoMack and Monicro.

"I feel like if you eat that, you're literally going to salt-cure your own organs." DannoMack said.

"Huh." Smasher said, already having taken a bite. "It's got a lot of iron!"

GAME NOTES

-A playoff game that only went 2:35? The Super-League is no longer realistic!

-There were no interesting stats in this game other than Monicro letting Waddell pitch the complete game. Even that isn't interesting, since he stopped giving up runs after the fifth inning, and so there wasn't much point to taking him out after then.

Box Score

Game 4: Slaughterhouse Nine @ RCMP (RCMP Leads 2-1)

Don May posted:

RCMP CLOSE OUT SERIES WITH 9-4 WIN

Toronto- Not every series ends with a bang.

The RCMP needed one more win to eliminate the Nine and move on to a seemingly inevitable matchup with the Sheikhs.

Today, they got it, overwhelming the Nine 9-4 for the essentially stress-free win. In fact, it was so stress-free that DannoMack, deciding against using either Billy Wagner to close the series out, instead let Mariano Rivera work three innings, even getting an at-bat that, surprisingly, led to Rivera hitting a single, much to the delight of the RCMP faithful.

"I don't think there was ever a lot of doubt." DannoMack said after the game, "The RCMP are a good team, and, with the death of the Kernels, and Beet going off to do whatever rather than run the Sheikhs, I don't see that there's a lot of competition. I know that the Nine seemed like a good team, but winning the Memento Mori Division is, well, Smasher, where are we with keeping things positive?" He asked Smasher.

"I know that things didn't go well in the past few games, but I still have aspirations of keeping things light if we can."

"Then the Nine winning the Memento Mori Division was an accomplishment." DannoMack said. "But I would say that winning the Sic Transit Vir, with its history of greatness, since it's the division of the Bangers and the Pirates, and all of that, is the bigger achievement, and going into this series, I felt that I had the stronger team, the better team, and after having seen how the series went, I think it's fair to say that my assessment was correct. I think it's great that Monicro got as far as he did, but now that his team has been eliminated, I think that the time has come to finally resolve myself to face the MACHINE."

DannoMack nodded in grim determination, "There are many people out there who believe that the MACHINE is an unstoppable force, that nothing can stop him. After all, even with Beet absent all season, the Sheikhs retained the tag titles despite having a lead balloon as a partner-" DannoMack turned to Smasher again, "Is that keeping things light?"

"I don't think making fun of Yaya's team is really negative." Smasher said.

"Yeah, okay. Despite having a lead balloon as a partner, the Sheikhs retained the tag titles, they reached the playoffs, took out the B-Zephyrs, swept the Jobbers so easily to win back the Omni-Titles. They are still the defending Super-League Champions." DannoMack said. "They're a good team. But I'm not going to let myself be pushed around by the MACHINE, because I think that-"

The MACHINE suddenly burst in through the wall, and grabbed DannoMack lifting him high in the air. "MACHINE disagrees with your implication of possible victory against the Sheikhs."

"MACHINE, we're trying to keep things light here." Smasher said, dispassionately.

"Creator Unit Smasher, MACHINE will refrain from disembowelment of Canadian Unit DannoMack." MACHINE said.

"Yeah, that's probably good enough." Smasher said. "Proceed."

MACHINE stared at DannoMack with its six mechanical eyes, two pairs of three red lights boring deep into DannoMack's soul. "Canadian Unit DannoMack, MACHINE will make Failure Unit Beet return. MACHINE knows that Failure Unit Beet only abandoned Sheikhs because MACHINE did not meet Failure Unit Beet's expectations. If MACHINE destroys all opposition with maximum efficiency, then Failure Unit Beet will return and be MACHINE's friend again."

DannoMack, alarmed and suspended in air by a distraught MACHINE, turned to Smasher, "That's not really keeping it light, Smasher. I mean, if he was just going to kill my team to show that robots are better, that would be something, but it sounds like the MACHINE is lonely and sad, and that's not keeping it light."

"It's really not." Smasher said. "We are off the rails here."

"MACHINE wants Failure Unit Beet to return. Canadian Unit DannoMack, if MACHINE shows how good it is at baseball-related activities, then why would Failure Unit Beet continue to not be around MACHINE?"

"Now, MACHINE." DannoMack said, even as he was slowly being crushed by the MACHINE's grip, "I think we might have some other things going on here."

"Negative!" MACHINE said. "Failure Unit Beet is MACHINE's only friend. It's MACHINE's fault that he left. MACHINE will bring him back by destroying all other teams and winning Failure Unit Beet more awards. MACHINE already has retrieved Omni-Titles and Tag Titles. If MACHINE wins Super-League Championship, then Failure Unit Beet will have sufficient titles to return to be friends with MACHINE."

"Oh, god." Smasher sank his head into his hands. "We are so not keeping it light! This is depressing and sad! You know what, enough. Series over!"

GAME NOTES

-No one ever said that the RCMP didn't have a solid offense.

-Plenty of people can say, however, that they don't have a great defense. Killebrew AND Riggs in the infield? That's rough.

-Every player that got an at-bat for the RCMP got a hit. Even pitchers. It was a thing.

Box Score

Championship Series Pick 'em!
Pick the Winners, Number of Games (Best of Seven) and Score of Final Game
Sindhi Sheikhs vs. RCMP
Khartoum Doom vs. Portland Panderers

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Boy oh boy did I not win that "start Plank or Smith" coinflip

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Sheiks in 7, 4-3
Doom in 5, 8-3

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Sindhi Sheikhs vs. RCMP -- Sheikhs in 6, 7-4
Khartoum Doom vs. Portland Panderers -- Panderers in 7, 11-10

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

All my pitchers should be ready to go since the first round ended so fast, right?

Pander seems to have annoyingly constructed his rotation such that I can't make home/away lineups based on lefty/rightyness.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sheikhs in 6, 4-2
Panderers in 6, 5-1

Pick 'Em Standings Live Here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K84MqmC_aoyikhgp14tF-5w-gxiYJhJ0H8CtH1Q6EmM/edit#gid=0

Currently DivineCoffeeBinge leads CaptainYesterday and myself, 17-14-14. Tadashi has 12 points. Given that you can get up to 14 points in a single playoff series, anybody can still win.

Mostly the people who are winning right now are the people who are actually doing pick 'em. There's really no strategy here as near as I can tell. Participate! When you don't participate, bad things happen!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Ice To Meet You posted:

All my pitchers should be ready to go since the first round ended so fast, right?

Pander seems to have annoyingly constructed his rotation such that I can't make home/away lineups based on lefty/rightyness.

Yeah.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Your portrayal of Jays fans and their woes of a window closing are so pinpoint it's uncanny.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Shiekhs in 6, 7-4
Panderers in 6, 8-5

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Contender for "Most Pointless Trade" incoming:

State College Supernovas send:

1938 Rick Ferrell

Hoboken Zephyrs send:

2003 Mike Gonzalez

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Contender for "Most Pointless Trade" incoming:

State College Supernovas send:

1938 Rick Ferrell

Hoboken Zephyrs send:

2003 Mike Gonzalez

Confirmed! Welcome home Mike!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I just did the 4th round lottery, which is now in the draft sheet, btw.

Congratulations to Gabriel Pope for getting the first pick of the fourth round.
Condolences to Robert Deadford for getting the Mr. Irrelevant pick.
Kensei got the nicest pick.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

FairGame posted:

I just did the 4th round lottery, which is now in the draft sheet, btw.

Congratulations to Gabriel Pope for getting the first pick of the fourth round.
Condolences to Robert Deadford for getting the Mr. Irrelevant pick.
Kensei got the nicest pick.

loving shite arse cockwombles kurrrrrrrrrwa mac ja pierdole chuj w dupej draft

Feastmode3288
May 26, 2016
Team: The W.E.B. Dat Boi’s

Logo
code:
Name    O poo poo Waddup Baseball Palace

Location    Dat Boise, ID
Elevation: 1500
Dimensions:  325-350-420-350-325
Grass Type    Artificial Grass

Open/Dome    Open

Grass Length    Very High

Infield Quality    Poor

Foul Grounds    Huge

Visibility    Poor

Strategies
code:
Hit and Run:    3
Sacrifice Bunt:    -4
Squeeze Play:    1
Trying for extra bases:    3
Stealing Bases:    3
Aggressively Tagging Up:    0
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases):    -5
Giving Intentional Walks:    -1
Pitching Around Good Hitters:    -4
Bringing the Infield In:    1
Guarding the Lines:    0
Making Cutoff Throws:    0
Bringing in Pinch Hitters:    1
Bringing in Pinch Runners:    0
Bringing in Defensive Replacements:    2
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest:    0
Letting pitchers pitch through trouble:    -2
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts:    -1

roster
code:
mcgrifr01,1993,,,,Fred,McGriff
avilabo01,1952,,,,Bobby,Avila
matheed01,1960,,,,Eddie,Mathews
rhodear01,1992,,,,Arthur,Rhodes
olsongr01,1992,,,,Gregg,Olson
millsal01,1992,,,,Alan,Mills
garge01,1978,,,,Gene,Garber
garcimi01,1952,,,,Mike,Garcia
hoffmtr01,1993,,,,Trevor,Hoffman
ausmubr01,1993,,,,Brad,Ausmus
torrejo01,1960,,,,Joe,Torre
aaronha01,1960,,,,Hank,Aaron
sheffga01,1993,,,,Gary,Sheffield
gwynnto01,1993,,,,Tony,Gwynn
spahnwa01,1960,,,,Warren,Spahn
mussimi01,1992,,,,Mike,Mussina
ripkeca01,1992,,,,Cal,Ripken
dobyla01,1952,,,,Larry,Doby
mitchda01,1952,,,,Dale,Mitchell
fellebo01,1952,,,,Bob,Feller
boonera01,1952,,,,Ray,Boone
brownke01,1997,,,,Kevin,Brown

brownke01,1998,,,,Kevin,Brown
ryanno01,1971,,,,Nolan,Ryan
speaktr01,1915,,,,Tris,Speaker
maddugr01,1992,,,,Greg,Maddux
hoilech01,1992,,,,Chris,Hoiles
millsal01,1992,,,,Alan,Mills
adcocjo01,1960,,,,Joe,Adcock
benesan01,1992,,,,Andy,Benes
cuyleki01,1931,,,,Kiki,Cuyler
vanceda01,1923,,,,Dazzy,Vance

Starting Rotation and Bullpen

quote:

Rotation
Greg Maddux
Dazzy Vance
Younger Kevin Brown
Nolan Ryan
Bob Feller

Bullpen
Closer: Trevor Hoffman

Setup: Gregg Olson
Short 1: Arthur Rhodes

Short 2: Mike Garcia
Middle: Older Kevin Brown
Long: Mike Mussina

Starting Lineups and Bench
[quote]
Vs. Both With DH

Tris Speaker, CF
Tony Gwynn, RF
Gary Sheffield, DH
Hank Aaron, LF
Fred McGriff, 1B
Joe Torre, C
Eddie Matthews, 3B
Cal Ripken, SS
Bobby Avilla, 2B

Bench
code:
Doby
Boone
Cuyler
Hoiles
Mitchell

Everyone Else in Minors

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Trade proposal

Base Clogger send
1908 Eddie Cicotte

Krakow Dragons Send
1995 Edgar Martinez

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
That wasn't very light at all!!!!

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Everyone picking the Sheikhs is overlooking that the RCMP went 14-1 against them in the regular season and outscored them 69-0.

Please put Hit & Run up to +3.

SP1 Satchel Paige R
SP2 Rube Waddell L
SP3 Deacon Philippe R
SP4 Walter Johnson R
MU Fritz Ostermueller L

CL Billy Wagner L
SU Billy Wagner L
SR Mariano Rivera R
SR Mark Eichhorn R
MR Joe McGinnity R
LR Larry Jackson R

vs RHP
LF Billy Hamilton L
CF Tris Speaker L
2B Riggs Stephenson R
RF Babe Ruth L
3B Wade Boggs L
1B Lou Gehrig L
SS Joe Sewell L
C Roger Bresnahan R

vs LHP
CF Tris Speaker L
RF Babe Ruth L
2B Riggs Stephenson R
3B Wade Boggs L
1B Lou Gehrig L
C Roger Bresnahan R
LF Billy Hamilton L
SS Aaron Ledesma R

Bench:
Al Simmons R
Harmon Killebrew R
Ted Simmons S
Ernie Banks R
Larry Walker L

Thanks Smasher!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
How did you lose a game if they never scored a run? :raise:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

DannoMack posted:

SS Aaron Ledesma R

You know, I look at this, and I first think, 'well, how many left-handed starters do the Sheikhs even have?'

So, it turns out, if this series goes seven games, the RCMP will be starting Aaron Ledesma in five of seven games.

DannoMack, I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't ask if you were sure that much Ledesma is a good idea.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

My thinking re: Ledesma is as follows:
-Ledesma DID have the highest batting average on the RCMP this season, starting against LHP.
-Both our stadiums suppress power, and the Sheikhs pitching staff does as well, so Ernie Banks is likely not going to be all that valuable.
-Joe Sewell vs a lefty plus his not-great glove isn't the most appealing option either.
-mrnoun said once that Aaron Ledesma is like one of the only SS guys in mogul with 90s at all of the important defensive ratings.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I really really don't want to lose to the friggin Sheikhs.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Sindhi Sheikhs vs. RCMP
Khartoum Doom vs. Portland Panderers

RCMP, 7, 7-6
Panderers, 6, 5-3

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

shepard.shouldgo posted:

Trade proposal

Base Clogger send
1908 Eddie Cicotte

Krakow Dragons Send
1995 Edgar Martinez

Accepted!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

DannoMack posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I really really don't want to lose to the friggin Sheikhs.

Accept the inevitable!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I will do the following:

Game 1/5: Marichal
Game 2/6: Strasburg
Game 3/7: Dihigo
Game 4: Reuschel

Time to prove that I am better at having Juan Marichal than Pander.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Ice To Meet You posted:

I will do the following:

Game 1/5: Marichal
Game 2/6: Strasburg
Game 3/7: Dihigo
Game 4: Reuschel

Time to prove that I am better at having Juan Marichal than Pander.

The Panderers' Marichal is injured and won't pitch in this series.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Yes! I win by default!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Well crap, forgot about that one. Makes it a little dicier.

Rotation
SP1 Kershaw
SP2 Fernandez
SP3 Hamels
SP4 Johnson
Mopup Ryan

If Kershaw needs a day of rest, swap him with Fernandez.

Bullpen
CL Vincent
SU Aroldis
SR Kimbrel
SR Nen
MR Quackenbush
LR Blyleven

vs Both
2B Collins
DH Childs
RF Waner
LF Burkett
SS Cronin
1B Mauer
C Bubbles
3B Traynor
CF Roush

Bench
Wallace
Clarke
Fonseca
Elliott
Lee

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Smasher Dynamo posted:

: Well, Yoshida, it's been a crazy regular season and- *HURK*
: Wait, did you just throw up lava?
: It was magma until it came out of my mouth.
: That doesn't explain anything!

I thought of this in class and lolled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
There's been some discussion in chat lately about Mogul and the way it treats/mistreats certain players. We thought it might be useful for newer owners to get some help with this, so we put our heads together to figure out why some big name players generally underperform in the Super League.

These players generally fall into a few broad categories:

-Guys who strike out a lot.
-Modern players who don't have a ton of data to go on yet.
-Guys with unusual career arcs, who peaked super early or super late, or who had multiple peaks with a lull between them.
-Lefty pitchers who don't get a ton of strikeouts.
-Lefty relievers in general. Relievers as a whole are unreliable, but Mogul has trouble using lefties properly even when they're performing well.

There are also just some guys who'd be fine, but the Super League in particular represents a bad matchup for them.

We ended up going through position by position, to figure out who the biggest problem children are. Here's what we came up with:

Catcher

1. Johnny Bench. Bench isn't bad, but he's the best major league catcher of all time, and that isn't reflected in his Super League performance, where his high K rate means he struggles to hit.
2. Carlton Fisk. Mogul has trouble modeling Fisk's longevity, so he ends up being adequate rather than an all-time great.
3. Gary Carter. Carter was a good hitter rather than a great one, but the Super League gives him particular problems despite his low K rate.
4. Roy Campanella. There's no reason for Campanella to be bad in the SL, but he struggles anyways. My theory is his years lost to the Negro Leagues cause Mogul to underrate his career.

First Base

1. David Ortiz. Ortiz's best SL season was for the Bronies, which basically represents criminal negligence on the part of Mogul. He suffers from both a high K rate and from being modern.
2. Eddie Murray. Murray has some of the same problems as Fisk, in that he's in the Hall as much for longevity as production, and Mogul struggles to model that kind of player even at his peak.
3. Hank Greenberg. He had his career cut short by WW2, but Mogul gives him bigger problems than that. Mogul somehow thinks he's a 130-K-a-season strikeout guy, and his contact rating in general gets tanked as a result.
4. Ted Kluszewski. High average, high power, low Ks, there's no reason he shouldn't be great in the Super League. But Mogul has a lot of trouble coping with his career arc, so he has no power and mediocre contact skills in the Super League.

Second Base

1. Joe Morgan. He should be the greatest 2nd baseman of all time. But in the Super League, he's a .220 hitter with no power.
2. Bobby Grich. He's a top-10 all time talent at 2nd as well, a multi-time Gold Glove winner with a home run title. But Mogul amplifies his K rate to the point where he struck out 161 times in SL 15, and that's not sustainable.
3. Jeff Kent. Kent strikes out too much for the Super League. Mogul thinks he also lacks power and can't get on base. Since his bat is his only real asset, this really hurts him.
4. Craig Biggio. His versatility makes him a solid utility player in the Super League, but a Hall of Famer in the 3000 hit club should be expected to do more. But Mogul doesn't think he can hit SL pitching, with his K rate.
5. Joe Gordon. Like Greenberg, his career was cut short by the war, and Mogul penalizes him for it. He can't hit for power, he can't hit for average, and he can't field.

Third Base

1. Mike Schmidt. Mike is basically the reason the list exists. Do not count on Mike Schmidt to hit Super League pitching. Mogul hates his K rate.
2. Chipper Jones. Mogul gives Jones no credit for his contact hitting.
3. Brooks Robinson. You'd expect more from him by reputation, but he was a league average hitter in real life. In the Super League, that doesn't cut it.
4. Eddie Mathews. There's some debate about Mathews, because he's had a few good years in the SL. But he's had a lot more bad ones. Again, his strikeouts hurt him.
5. Adrian Beltre. He's too modern and strikes out too much. Mogul also thinks he has no power.

Shortstop

1. Troy Tulowitzki. He's too modern, strikes out too much for Mogul, and gets penalized for playing in Colorado. The result is a guy who can't hit in the SL, period.
2. Barry Larkin. I don't get what Mogul hates about Barry, but it seems to think he has no power, mediocre contact, and an inconsistent glove.
3. Miguel Tejada. Oddly, Tejada doesn't seem to strike out a whole ton in the Super League. But Mogul tanks his power and average anyways, and he seems to be a below average defender.

Left Field

1. Ralph Kiner. Kiner led the league in HRs seven straight times, hit .300 several times, and didn't strike out a ton. Mogul should adore him, but it has no idea what to make of him. He ends up a league average at best hitter, with too many Ks and a .220 average redeemed only by his power.
2. Alberte Belle. Belle is in the 50-HR club and once had an OPS+ of 194. Mogul somehow translates this to a below average hitter with middling power.
3. Carl Yastrzemski. Yaz won multiple batting titles and had good power. But he had a long tail end to his career, and Mogul looks at all those slightly-above-average seasons and figures his peak was a flash-in-the-pan and that's the real him. Every once in a while he's good, but mostly he's going to hover in that 90 to 110 OPS+ range.
4. Willie Stargell. Mogul gives Stargell proper credit for his peak, but then it looks and says, "You struck out how many times in 1971?" and takes all the credit away again. With a little luck and the right ballpark, he'll hit enough dingers to make up for it, but he's very situational.

Center Field

1. Willie Mays. Possibly the most egregious example on this list. When Mays was 40 years old, he struck out 123 times. As far as I can tell, this is the only year Mogul looks at, because it thinks he's a terrible contact hitter. He also seems to be an inconsistent defender. You will get some power out of him, but you won't get Willie Mays.
2. Mickey Mantle. You know, Mantle really did strike out a lot. You're right, Mogul. But it's a little excessive to let that turn him into a .240 hitter.
3. Joe DiMaggio*. I'm putting an asterisk on Joe, because while he's super inconsistent in the SL, part of the reason is that we've never seen a Joe between 24 and 31 years old, only super young or old. Part of the reason for this is the war, of course, but that doesn't change that a lot of his SL seasons hover around league average or slightly better.
4. Ken Griffey Jr. I think Mogul doesn't like his career arc, because he had that stretch in the late 90's when he started striking out a lot more than he did before or after. Mogul can't handle guys who change styles like that. He's still a decent glove who'll pop some HRs, but he's not Junior Griffey.
5. Jim Edmonds. Edmonds had a few good years early in SL history, but hasn't been above average with the bat since SL 11. Mogul thinks he strikes out way too much.
6. Carlos Beltran. He may be too modern for Mogul to model. Mogul thinks he's okay in a platoon, but mediocre as a starter.

Right Field

1. Reggie Jackson. Mr. Bench Him If You Want To Play In October. He's #1 all time in strikeouts, so of course the Super League kills him dead.
2. Roberto Clemente. In the SL, he's a league average bat with a solid glove. He was a free swinger in real life, and it shows in Mogul.
3. Ichiro. Perhaps he's too modern for Mogul to handle correctly, plus the late start to his career thanks to Japan. Plus, it's hard to fit his style of play into a Super League context, where there's enough good pitching to make an empty singles hitter look weak -- instead of being a threat to hit .350, he's closer to .290, and that's not enough.
4. Sammy Sosa. Sosa hung around for a number of years as nothing special before finding his power stroke, and always struck out a ton even at his peak.

Starting Pitching

1. Bob Feller. Feller reinvented himself in the late 1940s as more of a crafty guy instead of the pure power pitcher he started as. Mogul can't handle this, and models it by giving him his atrocious power pitcher walk rate combined with his lower, post-power K rate.
2. Jim Palmer. Mogul gives Palmer some walk issues, and he doesn't have the K rate to make up for it. As far as I can tell, that's all there is to it.
3. Tom Glavine. Glavine had a long career, and Mogul perhaps takes all those mediocre seasons at the beginning and end into account a little too much.
4. Warren Spahn. Spahn is a great example of the "soft throwing lefty" problem. He was a great pitcher in real life, but his SL peak is slightly above average, and his downside is rock bottom. The reason? The Super League is full of RH power hitters who destroy him with HRs.
5. Fernando Valenzuela. Nobody with a Mania named after them should be bad. But Fernando walks too many guys in the SL, and doesn't have the K rate to make up for it.

Relief Pitching

1. Every reliever. This is the easy answer: there are maybe five, if you're feeling generous, relievers who can be relied on to be consistently successful in the SL. Almost every reliever is a crap shoot on some level. But that's a cop out. Here are a few guys you'd expect to be good, but who aren't:

2. Willie Hernandez. The 1984 MVP gets little respect from Mogul because of his relatively short peak. He gives up far too many HRs, and doesn't strike guys out anywhere near his real life rate.
3. Eric Gagne. Mogul can't reconcile the brilliance of his peak with the abruptness of his collapse. The result is a dude with control troubles and an atrocious HR rate.
4. Francisco Rodriguez. K-Rod walks guys at an absolutely ridiculous rate in the SL, and then gives up a ton of HR on top of it. He may be too modern for Mogul to respect.
5. Jeff Montgomery. He was a pretty solid closer in real life, but put him in the Super League and watch his HR rate double instantly. He also has trouble striking guys out in a SL context.

This is just a sampling of top guys who underperform in the SL. There are others, of course, but these are the ones who sprang to mind first when we were discussing them. Next time, maybe we'll talk about some guys who are consistently reliable in the Super League, and maybe look into what makes them work. But I'll leave that for someone else to write up, because this was a pain in the rear end.