Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
No DSBR running for Vega means there should be 10-20% free performance to be gained yet, maybe more because holy poo poo AMD really loving struggles with software :psylon:

Best case scenario it's still not a 1080ti competitor but it's noticeably superior to the 1080.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I'm pretty sure AMD's official benchmark numbers are including DSBR, so it's more or less a 1080 competitor, not superior

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

FaustianQ posted:

No DSBR running for Vega means there should be 10-20% free performance to be gained yet, maybe more because holy poo poo AMD really loving struggles with software :psylon:

Best case scenario it's still not a 1080ti competitor but it's noticeably superior to the 1080.

The possible performance uplift from DSBR is highly dependant on AMD's implementation. This has been a feature that has been very, very difficult to implement and only recently with Nvidia's Maxwell and Pascal cards has there been a good implementation, it might be that AMD has left it disabled because they are running into issues that they can't solve or it might just be that they do have a solution but it will take a lot of man-hours for the driver team to implement it. I hope that it's the second case and not the first. But even if they get some sort of DSBR working the power savings and performance uplift could be anywhere from only a couple percent to 20-30%, and it will likely vary based on the specific game, we can hope for a robust solution that provides a decent uplift across the board but we should temper our expectations.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

FaustianQ posted:

It sounds like their DBSR isn't nearly as good as NV's, their posted benchmarks for the RX Vega really don't show much of a performance difference over what people were getting with the Vega FE. Certainly not the 10-20% people were hoping for.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Yea gently caress it hope is a lie, wait for benchmarks :eng99:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I want a clean sheet design for navi, gently caress vega.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol

repiv fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 31, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
straight out of nvidia playbook eh?

cmon amd, your shtick is supposed to be cringy corny vids, not this poo poo

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
We'll never hear the end of Fine Wine™ if they patch in DBSR

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Arzachel posted:

We'll never hear the end of Fine Wine™ if

we'll never hear the end of it period

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
If I wanted to replace my dual 670's with a single card, is there a better buy than a used 980 Ti (Space/PSU supply not being an issue)? Seems to be achievable for about £280 in the UK and equivalents are much more expensive/unavailable.

I have a totally unexceptional 1080p monitor at the moment, but I may upgrade that to a 1440p 144hz in the future. The only other reasonable (but not quite as good according to the benchmarks I've seen) alternative I've seen is a new RX 580 8GB that's on the French amazon site for £223 but OOS.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What the heck is DBSR?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Stanley Pain posted:

What the heck is DBSR?

DragonBall Saiyan Rendering. Helps to make the spikes really spikey.

(Depth Based Super Resolution)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Truga posted:

straight out of nvidia playbook eh?

cmon amd, your shtick is supposed to be cringy corny vids, not this poo poo

Better. It's literally out of the NV playbook. They minimized the lower numbers. That is, they are presenting numbers that are better for their product and they minimized the part of the graph that shows that difference.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Begall posted:

If I wanted to replace my dual 670's with a single card, is there a better buy than a used 980 Ti (Space/PSU supply not being an issue)? Seems to be achievable for about £280 in the UK and equivalents are much more expensive/unavailable.

I have a totally unexceptional 1080p monitor at the moment, but I may upgrade that to a 1440p 144hz in the future. The only other reasonable (but not quite as good according to the benchmarks I've seen) alternative I've seen is a new RX 580 8GB that's on the French amazon site for £223 but OOS.

Not a direct answer, but I went from a 980ti to a 1080ti on a 1440p 144hz (gsync) monitor, and the most noticeable difference is that the 1080 runs a whole lot quieter. 980ti is likely massive overkill for 1080p, depending on what games you're running.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

What the heck is DBSR?

Draw-Stream Binning Rasterizer. AMD's version of the tile based rasterization stuff Nvidia started using with Maxwell.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

..btt posted:

Not a direct answer, but I went from a 980ti to a 1080ti on a 1440p 144hz (gsync) monitor, and the most noticeable difference is that the 1080 runs a whole lot quieter. 980ti is likely massive overkill for 1080p, depending on what games you're running.

Yeah, I think it would be massive overkill for 1080p. I suppose the question is whether in today's (seemingly inflated) market, is there a better purchase around that £280 price point that provides future proofing for high refresh 1440p?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD posted actual RX Vega vs Fury X performance numbers for Battlefield 1

21-34% performance gain depending on the resolution, so with Vega having a 50% higher clock speed AMD is basically admitting the architecture is a regression from Fiji.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Begall posted:

Yeah, I think it would be massive overkill for 1080p. I suppose the question is whether in today's (seemingly inflated) market, is there a better purchase around that £280 price point that provides future proofing for high refresh 1440p?

I can't speak for AMD, but you're essentially getting a 1070 for £280 rather than £450, so I'd guess that's your best option if you want that level of performance. I'd bet the 980 is significantly louder though, if you care about that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Begall posted:

There is not. A 980Ti is a fine card for high(ish) Hz 1440p--you'll likely be able to hold in the 80-100FPS range on most games, with easier ones (Overwatch) going higher, and harder ones (Witcher3) lower.

If you slap an AIO+G10 on it, it'll be near silent, and you can re-use the setup if you ever decide to move up the line to a 10xx or (very probably) Volta.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

repiv posted:

21-34% performance gain depending on the resolution, so with Vega having a 50% higher clock speed AMD is basically admitting the architecture is a regression from Fiji.

So AMD basically Bulldozered their newest GPU?

When does Volta launch? This end of year?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Ragingsheep posted:

When does Volta launch? This end of year?

The day after AMD fixes their drivers and/or whatever the gently caress else is wrong with Vega and makes it almost competitive with the 10x0 series.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

repiv posted:

green team shill bs, wait for the updated drivers its obvious they are sandbagged

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, as in the drivers they need (and potentially the entire driver team) has been sunk to the bottom of the river to swim with da fishes.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
So the RX Vega card turned out to be yet another 8GB card? The only improvement I've seen from AMD is the Pro card having 16GB VRAM and 1TB of memory.

What does team red have to stand up for itself other than Ryzen and Threadripper?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

What does team red have to stand up for itself other than Ryzen and Threadripper?

That they keep managing to get their APUs into consoles, mostly.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Junior Jr. posted:

So the RX Vega card turned out to be yet another 8GB card? The only improvement I've seen from AMD is the Pro card having 16GB VRAM and 1TB of memory.

It seems like in a single generation AMD has gone from value-competitive GPUs and train wreck CPUs to value-competitive CPUs and disastrous GPUs.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

DrDork posted:

That they keep managing to get their APUs into consoles, mostly.

So by APUs in consoles, you just mean Xbone X.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Junior Jr. posted:

So by APUs in consoles, you just mean Xbone X.

And the PS4, and the PS4 Pro, and the Xbone, and the ill-fated Wii-U's GPU.

eames
May 9, 2009

GPU Megathread - 45 FPS but I got a beautiful shroud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxVzDQtHzqo&t=578s

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

eames posted:

Who cares about the shroud if 95% of your PC is covered in so much goddamn RGB crap?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Twerk from Home posted:

And the PS4, and the PS4 Pro, and the Xbone, and the ill-fated Wii-U's GPU.

And probably the PS5 and the Xbox Two.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

eames posted:

woman on video: wow this is actually beautiful
me: it's a loving grey box

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
That could explain why next-gen consoles are always so defective, AMD keeps making piss poor cards, and Sony and Microsoft keep using them because they don't believe in quality GPU engineering.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And probably the PS5 and the Xbox Two.

Xbox Two, The Fifth Xbox

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Junior Jr. posted:

That could explain why next-gen consoles are always so defective, AMD keeps making piss poor cards, and Sony and Microsoft keep using them because they want to pay as little for chips as they can get away with.

ftfy

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People have problems with their current gen consoles?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

That could explain why next-gen consoles are always so defective, AMD keeps making piss poor cards, and Sony and Microsoft keep using them because they don't believe in quality GPU engineering.

I don't doubt that the margins on them are probably not great for AMD, but they honestly haven't been bad chips or bad architectures for what they're doing: smashing a R470-equivalent into a $400 total system for the PS4 Pro, for example, ain't a bad deal.

It'd be interesting to see what consoles could do with a modern Intel w/Iris iGPU, but something tells me Intel isn't interested in offering those at prices that would make any sense for a console. NVidia, meanwhile, has...Tegra? The X1 ain't bad for a tablet or whatever, but it can't really trade punches with AMD's APU, and slotting in a MX150 or other low-end dGPU would be rather expensive and still require a host processor. For all their fuckups in the CPU/GPU landscape, their console chips are actually pretty sensible.

Frankly, if you want to look at hosed up chip mistakes, you look at the PS3 and it's hilarious PPE/SPE design.

PerrineClostermann posted:

People have problems with their current gen consoles?

Yeah, people can't run Call of Dongbuttes at 4k@60Hz on their fancy new 2017 TV because--shockingly--their PS4 from 2013 can't quite keep up with trying to render 8x the 1080p@30 it was originally intended for.

Alternately; their $400 PS4 Pro can't quite keep up with 4k content, either, because--shockingly--it doesn't contain the $450-$750 dGPU that is generally recommended for 4k gaming.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 31, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Junior Jr. posted:

To be fair, Bulldozer was utter crap.

I think that we will know how badly the next generation of consoles will hold back PC gaming (and it does, let's not kid ourselves here, console gaming has more weight to throw around) when we get to see the first proper Zen-and-Navi-based APU silicon. (Activate the NewFatMike signal!)

Because Vega looks like dogshit and will probably result in crap console GPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

we'll never hear the end of it period

Is it me or is that bottle of wine the size of a fire extinguisher?