Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

remigious posted:

So…the company I work for is owned by a private equity firm, and the CEO just suddenly departed. That’s a really bad sign, right?

You’ll have a new CEO come in and install all of their own lackeys who will carve up the kingdom and make the place suck poo poo for a while. Everyone will be fearful and adopt crab bucket mentality while outwardly projecting confidence and loyalty. Lots of restructuring with layoffs to come. And that’s if they’re not going to break the company up into pieces for a fire sale.

Just my experience from the past three times this has happened to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Brainworms.jpg... (if you thought my answer was the single no, shame on you. My answer is the invisible one that didn't respond to an internal slack survey. :v:)

remigious posted:

So…the company I work for is owned by a private equity firm, and the CEO just suddenly departed. That’s a really bad sign, right?

He's the new Vice President of Beach Drinks, and his new office is on the Pleasure Yacht. You, on the other hand... (Yeah, it's typically a bad sign. It could just be a "getting absorbed into existing structure" thing, but those usually end up with big redundancy layoffs anyway. Get your resume updated and out there.)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

gay_crimes posted:

You’ll have a new CEO come in and install all of their own lackeys who will carve up the kingdom and make the place suck poo poo for a while. Everyone will be fearful and adopt crab bucket mentality while outwardly projecting confidence and loyalty. Lots of restructuring with layoffs to come. And that’s if they’re not going to break the company up into pieces for a fire sale.

Just my experience from the past three times this has happened to me!

The company was already broken into pieces when the private equity firm sunk their claws in. I’m wondering if we’re approaching the fire sale part of this song and dance. Poop!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Sundae posted:

Brainworms.jpg... (if you thought my answer was the single no, shame on you. My answer is the invisible one that didn't respond to an internal slack survey. :v:)

manufacturedconsent.jpg jesus christ

We had our department-wide "hybrid office" seminar today, which more or less laid out the company's policies for September once the offices open back up to the public. Included such gems as "new employees need to work full time in-office or they won't message people for help because they'll always see the busy icon on Teams" and "as soon as you're back in the office you'll realize how much you missed it"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It is surprising how keen people are for free food to sit through terrible lunch and learns.

I go to them but then just take off an hour early or whatever as payment, must balance the scales.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

remigious posted:

It might turn out great, depending what kind of severance you end up getting.

Is it a sign it's time to find your next job, yeah.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i've been on the new team's side when the new CEO comes in and it's pretty much always bad news for the old regime

on the other hand if you're a problem child within the old regime your prospects may have improved although this is not a real likely outcome

on the third hand if you're low enough on the totem pole you'll just be playing the RIF lottery rather than being directly targeted for being useless

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Sundae posted:

Lunch meetings are awful because:
* People eat at different times
* People eat different things
* People eat at different speeds
* It's always a meeting where people are expected to "participate", then they complain that no one says anything
* Catered community style food
* Indigestion

The best I've seen were monthly, and the food places used websites where individuals could place their order as part of the group (so personal order, up to the limit, but no hassle of expense reporting, and it was delivered as a group order). I'd usually eat 20% and take the rest home, having eaten lunch 2hr earlier.

Always order up to the limit. Add a beverage. Add a cookie! Add a happy ending! If nothing else you can save the day when a peer forgets to order, ends up with the fruitcake, and you didn't need that cookie (or happy ending) anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't mind lunch meetings if it's just getting talked at while I eat

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The only good working lunch I've ever had in my life was jury duty.

We already came to a decision an hour earlier but we also unanimously agreed to wait so we could have a free lunch. The only thing better than making corporate pay for you food is making the government.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Lunch meetings are awful because:
* People eat at different times
* People eat different things
* People eat at different speeds

This also applies to all other lunchtimes in the office in this part of the world, where going for lunch as a group with colleagues is pretty much expected. They also go ridiculously early by my reckoning, at about 12:00 when I'm normally on a roll with something.

But, having an enforced 45-min break is pretty good for the brain and the food is OK.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Umm...Lunch Break? You mean you guys get breaks?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sundae posted:

He's the new Vice President of Beach Drinks, and his new office is on the Pleasure Yacht.

Captain America 'i got that reference'.gif

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pillowpants posted:

Umm...Lunch Break? You mean you guys get breaks?

I think you just said you work in HR, so in that case no I never take any breaks

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

on the third hand if you're low enough on the totem pole you'll just be playing the RIF lottery rather than being directly targeted for being useless
Do new team leads tend to talk to everyone to figure out what they do and know or do they just take the word of the soon to be redundant leads?

Asking for a friend....

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not a Children posted:

"as soon as you're back in the office you'll realize how much you missed it"

Technically correct.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

I think you just said you work in HR, so in that case no I never take any breaks

I run the payroll group which everyone thinks is part of finance but is part of HR so I get to listen to everyone complain about HR

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Good: had an "employee appreciation" thing this afternoon that was just "come eat ice cream, listen to the CEO say he's proud of us, and go home two hours early.

The Bad: one of our Operations folks who was a very hard worker and seemed like a very solid if slightly volatile (ahem) guy celebrated a belated Meltdown May last night in such a way that was apparently bad enough to get him fired on the spot. And has apparently been contacting partners and clients and badmouthing us today. Fun fun fun.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

This also applies to all other lunchtimes in the office in this part of the world, where going for lunch as a group with colleagues is pretty much expected. They also go ridiculously early by my reckoning, at about 12:00 when I'm normally on a roll with something.

But, having an enforced 45-min break is pretty good for the brain and the food is OK.

Noon is really early to have tomorrow’s lunch, true.

If I try really hard I can make it till 11:30 or so, while my personal best is 10:15. But that’s on the days when I start work between 4-5am, so my internal clock is all off.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

remigious posted:

It’s typical, but not a good sign. That’s what happened at my first career gig when I was laid off. Start polishing your resume.

First they come for coffee, then they come for heads.

Edit: I’ve literally told my boss if they cut free coffee im assuming company is on the ropes and I will start looking for my next job.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tnuctip posted:

It’s typical, but not a good sign. That’s what happened at my first career gig when I was laid off. Start polishing your resume.

First they come for coffee, then they come for heads.

Edit: I’ve literally told my boss if they cut free coffee im assuming company is on the ropes and I will start looking for my next job.

That just sounds like they're gonna fire you before the coffee lol

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

FAUXTON posted:

Nah, it took a guy flashing a swastika tattoo after being suspended 3 times to finally get fired. I’m at a plant after all.

Same dude was told no swastika vinyl on his car (a VW of course), and replaced it with the German double headed hawk :wtc:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

FAUXTON posted:

Smart play if true. Get that severance and get on the job market ahead of the rush.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Inner Light posted:

My boss and program management structure aren't great, but my boss would not be okay if someone was trying to reach me on PTO and it wasn't a real urgent need. Or that need couldn't be taken care of by someone not on PTO.

My first full-time job (~4.5 years) baked in some really unhealthy habits with this. I think the highlight was me stopping for like 15 minutes to describe the file path on the shared drive to access scanned invoices while hiking through Acadia National Park. If I had work from home capabilities then, yikes.

My current direct supervisor was really hardline about that before the move to work from home and I appreciate it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The problem always comes back to management not supporting the work culture they claim to support. Here's the process, illustrated two different ways:

1) My underling goes on vacation.
2) Someone calls her, gets no answer.
3) He calls me, and I tell him that she is on vacation.
4) He insists it is urgent, and that he needs it sorted right now.
5) I tell him to either talk through the scenario with me to see if I can help, or to ask her co-engineers on the project team to cover for her.
6) If he's reasonable, he goes to the project team or works with me on it. If he's unreasonable, he goes past me to either my boss's boss or one level above that.
7) If it goes up, it comes back down to me and I tell them "I'll take care of it." My answer is then back to #5 again to go talk to the co-engineers. The call never gets to my underling, because I tell them I'll take care of it.

Scenario 2:

1) I go on vacation
2) I ignore calls.
3) It escalates up the chain to my boss's boss or higher, because there is no equivalent to my role in the department.
4) It comes back down to my direct boss, who either caves and calls me, or insists that it has to wait until I'm back from vacation, so my boss's boss calls me instead.

The part missing in both cases is management being unwilling to stand firm on PTO. The extra part missing in my case is that there is nobody else in the group qualified to do my job if I leave the office.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Feels like a good time to post the reason i left my last job:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sundae posted:

The problem always comes back to management not supporting the work culture they claim to support. Here's the process, illustrated two different ways:

1) My underling goes on vacation.
2) Someone calls her, gets no answer.
3) He calls me, and I tell him that she is on vacation.
4) He insists it is urgent, and that he needs it sorted right now.
5) I tell him to either talk through the scenario with me to see if I can help, or to ask her co-engineers on the project team to cover for her.
6) If he's reasonable, he goes to the project team or works with me on it. If he's unreasonable, he goes past me to either my boss's boss or one level above that.
7) If it goes up, it comes back down to me and I tell them "I'll take care of it." My answer is then back to #5 again to go talk to the co-engineers. The call never gets to my underling, because I tell them I'll take care of it.

Scenario 2:

1) I go on vacation
2) I ignore calls.
3) It escalates up the chain to my boss's boss or higher, because there is no equivalent to my role in the department.
4) It comes back down to my direct boss, who either caves and calls me, or insists that it has to wait until I'm back from vacation, so my boss's boss calls me instead.

The part missing in both cases is management being unwilling to stand firm on PTO. The extra part missing in my case is that there is nobody else in the group qualified to do my job if I leave the office.

Things like this is why I'm very happy to be a lowly cog in the machine.

Like, I'm sure we all have fantasies about quitting a job and the place collapsing behind us, but around here I'll be forgotten within a week. I much prefer it that way. I have my on-call rotation sure but I haven't been called once, and I'm actually excited for my company cell phone to come in because all those cold calling car warranties and political canvasing calls are ruining my sleep during my rotations when I can't mute my phone otherwise. I'm not afraid of it because nobody's going to call me out of hours. I'm not important enough.

j3rkstore posted:

Feels like a good time to post the reason i left my last job:

No jury would convict you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

"Extra" yes, but still a fundamental management failure.

That text.......that text, I can't even quote it. I don't think I've been this mad since I actually had a corporate job. If one of my reports did that I don't even know what I would do, but it would be very harsh. And if I was directed to do something like that or someone above me did it things would go.......oh wait...about as well as it did for me. Right, that kind of poo poo is why I've been not working for (checks notes) a year. Huh.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

"Extra" yes, but still a fundamental management failure.

Agreed. The fundamental failure is management. Somehow, it always is.

And murder whoever sent you that text, j3rkstore.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Agreed. The fundamental failure is management. Somehow, it always is.

I feel like there's a contingent of us in here....desperate and delusional.....trying to hold the line on being a decent front line manager.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Motronic posted:

I feel like there's a contingent of us in here....desperate and delusional.....trying to hold the line on being a decent front line manager.

Hoping that leading by example will pay off.

It’s the hope that kills you.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Democratic Pirate posted:

If I try really hard I can make it till 11:30 or so, while my personal best is 10:15. But that’s on the days when I start work between 4-5am, so my internal clock is all off.
Agreed, 1030 is lunch time. After all, the sun is up at 5am, so that's already half way through the day.

The same people that want lunch at 2pm are the same people that want "an extra hour of sunlight give me DST :supaburn:" who then proceed to start work after 11am each day.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I got cheated out of 3 tenths of a cent per hour in my merit raise and I'm about to raise hell about it

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I tend to take a late lunch, but only because I always have no drive to do any work when I come back. So the later I take a lunch, the less time I have to suffer watching the clock wind down.

I also treat lunch like sick time. Lunch is wasted on eating. I'd rather work through lunch and eat at my desk then use my lunch time to go take a walk and relax, or in the case with WFH, play with my kid for a little bit. poo poo, right now I'm 8.5 hours into a 10 hour shift and I haven't taken a single break yet. I'll burn my 30 minute lunch and 2x15 breaks all at once to get him ready for school and out the door when he wakes up. Then I'll dink around at my desk for 15 minutes and clock out. My team is fine with that, my boss is fine with that, we all play dumb to labor laws, everyone wins. Which is why returning to the office will ruin me.

I spend enough dicking around on the internet during downtime that my brain isn't burnt out, and years of being a lazy goon has conditioned my rear end to be sat on for long stretches of time no problem.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sundae posted:

He's the new Vice President of Beach Drinks, and his new office is on the Pleasure Yacht. You, on the other hand... (Yeah, it's typically a bad sign. It could just be a "getting absorbed into existing structure" thing, but those usually end up with big redundancy layoffs anyway. Get your resume updated and out there.)
I loving love lunch meetings because that's *work*. So, after the lunch meeting, I can take a legally mandated lunch break!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cheesus posted:

Do new team leads tend to talk to everyone to figure out what they do and know or do they just take the word of the soon to be redundant leads?

Asking for a friend....

its generally a good way to find out if the new lead is competent at all. if they are they will do inventory themselves because why would they take the word of someone who is probably an idiot?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

legally mandated lunch break!

im sorry what

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its generally a good way to find out if the new lead is competent at all. if they are they will do inventory themselves because why would they take the word of someone who is probably an idiot?
Any recommendations or suggestions for someone who might find themselves in this situation how to respond without self immolating?

I assume saying "My idiot manager has never asked and does not understand anything about my abilities or knowledge or contributions to our product and company and in fact has created a toxic work environment." is a super bad idea.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Just in a company FIRE presentation. Seems unusual. But hell yeah I want to RE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

FIRE does encourage working yourself above a sustainable level in the long term with the plan being to have enough money when you burn out, but this might actually not have an ulterior motive. Sometimes guest speakers are fun.