Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Tricky! The grill is an interesting challenge. Double headlights, recessed, with an angled central divider, in what I'm assuming is 6W scale? There may need to be a compromise - maybe a more simple representation of the headlights. My first thought is panels for the recessed element, but sideways tiles may be the answer to maximize your building space.

The color issue feels easier to work out if you lean into the two-tone. That would let you use either the City or new SC fenders in dark gray, doing the top in light gray and the chrome in flat silver or light gray. If you're keeping it all silver, you'll need to brick build some arches. Upside-down cheese slopes feel like a good option. Arch bricks probably won't work simply because of how skinny the nose is.

Here's a quick 5-minute stab at the grill, just to try out some shaping.

Ahhhhhhh how did you do that so fast? That's great!

I can even see a conceivable way to hint at the side indicators with your build.

You're a master.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Ahhhhhhh how did you do that so fast? That's great!

I can even see a conceivable way to hint at the side indicators with your build.

You're a master.

A LEGO Master :radcat:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Bilsy

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

This is super cool. I am not creative enough to do my own Mocs, and this is crazy interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Carbohydrates posted:

Here, I don't know if you'll get any value out of this, but here's some WIP shots from parts of my process.

Much better than my last attempt to digitally design a lego car:

For real though, those vehicles are amazing! Exactly the right lego scale to integrate into a city and be fun to build. 10/10 would buy instructions if that’s something up your alley.

One of these days I’d love to MOC a parking garage and fill it up with cool vehicle builds

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Much better than my last attempt to digitally design a lego car:

For real though, those vehicles are amazing! Exactly the right lego scale to integrate into a city and be fun to build. 10/10 would buy instructions if that’s something up your alley.

One of these days I’d love to MOC a parking garage and fill it up with cool vehicle builds

Man, the 90’s Lego PC games were so much fun.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thank you so much! I've been known to do instructions.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Carbohydrates posted:

Dude, your build are all awesome! Keep that poo poo up.

I really only buy nostalgic sets and SC now so I’m really into your builds.

Would be great to see some classic Euro stuff. Lancia Delta would work given how boxy it is. Or an E30 M3?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Red_Fred posted:

Dude, your build are all awesome! Keep that poo poo up.

I really only buy nostalgic sets and SC now so I’m really into your builds.

Would be great to see some classic Euro stuff. Lancia Delta would work given how boxy it is. Or an E30 M3?

Delta would be sick, or the late 70s Beta.

Or if you want to stick with big American cars, something really unique like the Chrysler Turbine.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LOL he got screwed in team selection.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
He sure did. It's edited to look worse, but Kale really was a oval office.

Snowmankilla posted:

This is super cool. I am not creative enough to do my own Mocs, and this is crazy interesting. Thanks for sharing!

It always annoys me when people say this. Anyone can make a good MOC, you just have to be willing to put the work in. Your first one will be poo poo but you can only get better!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nth Doctor posted:

A LEGO Master :radcat:

they may be a Master, but if they want to be a Maniac, Carbohydrates would make a Reliant Robin

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh hell yeah, thanks for the link! Went ahead and bought the tiny house instructions because that might just be the best set I have seen in a long time :3:

Now the only question is whether I should use this as a catalyst to sort ~150 pounds of lego or just bricklink the whole thing...

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh hell yeah, thanks for the link! Went ahead and bought the tiny house instructions because that might just be the best set I have seen in a long time :3:

Now the only question is whether I should use this as a catalyst to sort ~150 pounds of lego or just bricklink the whole thing...
Well, your odds of finding the necessary pieces in your pile seem slim, unless you have multiple copies of the 2018 Statue of Liberty in there - it calls for 70 of those sand green double cheese slopes. It also calls for x5 panel 1 x 2 x 1 in reddish brown, which are rare and expensive, but I bet it'd look just fine with the stairs in a different earthy color like dark brown or medium nougat.

I'm glad you like it so much! That tiny house was a collaboration between my partner and I and we're very proud of it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

What’s the average shelf life of the modular buildings? I will not have the cash for a bit to catch up and hope I don’t have to depend on the secondary market.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Usually around a year but popular ones tend to stick around much longer. I think the Parisian restaurant was around for like 6+ years. Assembly square was around for at least 3 etc

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

djfooboo posted:

What’s the average shelf life of the modular buildings? I will not have the cash for a bit to catch up and hope I don’t have to depend on the secondary market.

Everything except the first two has lasted at least two and a half years.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Carbohydrates posted:

Well, your odds of finding the necessary pieces in your pile seem slim, unless you have multiple copies of the 2018 Statue of Liberty in there - it calls for 70 of those sand green double cheese slopes. It also calls for x5 panel 1 x 2 x 1 in reddish brown, which are rare and expensive, but I bet it'd look just fine with the stairs in a different earthy color like dark brown or medium nougat.

I'm glad you like it so much! That tiny house was a collaboration between my partner and I and we're very proud of it.

For sure will have to bricklink quite a bit since my bulk collection is pre early 2000s and doesn’t have much in the way of tiles, cheese wedges, and that amazing sand green color. Shame that sand green is so rare, that might be one of my favorite colors Lego has ever done.

Buying a second statue of liberty just for parts would be stupid, right?...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I am loving this Lego Masters show. These guys from Oregon are great. I'm glad that the teams aren't just clearly stratified, they are each able to do well or poorly depending on each week so it's not always a foregone conclusion who is the best. Though it does seem that the show is telegraphing who does the best. I haven't finished this week but they make it really clear who they think is the best by giving two of the teams animated intros and they don't say anything bad about their builds. Then they throw in little snide comments about other teams' builds just so there's something to criticize. Like they criticize a team for having their water be blue pieces piled in their build and they say that isn't very lego. Even though there is a Lego set where one of the steps is to just pour in 200 transblue pieces.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

OSU_Matthew posted:

that amazing sand green color. Shame that sand green is so rare, that might be one of my favorite colors Lego has ever done.

:hellyeah:

I’ve paid a lot more than I should have for test bricks in that colour. It’s just a nice colour to look at. All the “sand” tone colours are deadly, especially blue and purple, but green most of all.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Cojawfee posted:

I am loving this Lego Masters show. These guys from Oregon are great. I'm glad that the teams aren't just clearly stratified, they are each able to do well or poorly depending on each week so it's not always a foregone conclusion who is the best. Though it does seem that the show is telegraphing who does the best. I haven't finished this week but they make it really clear who they think is the best by giving two of the teams animated intros and they don't say anything bad about their builds. Then they throw in little snide comments about other teams' builds just so there's something to criticize. Like they criticize a team for having their water be blue pieces piled in their build and they say that isn't very lego. Even though there is a Lego set where one of the steps is to just pour in 200 transblue pieces.

Agreed, I’m very entertained by it. I really liked the tech bro’s latest build, but I can understand why it didn’t win.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'm kind of pissed that the preview for next weeks episode showed way too much... But the latest episode made for good background noise while I sorted out my own Lego boxes.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 28, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PowerBeard posted:

I'm kind of pissed that the preview for next weeks episode showed way too much... But the latest episode made for good background noise while I sorted out my own Lego boxes.

That’s a really good idea, I tried building with it in the background but I just get too wrapped up and don’t get much done

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The drama in the show is a little grating, and the 'tell a story' requirement that every build seems to have had so far is detracting from things a bit.

I want more building, less mostly-bad comedy from Will. More from every team, not just a few they focus on.

I thought the twist from the recent episode was pretty unfair; some of the combinations didn't work very well, especially when it's literally some executives coming in halfway through filming a movie and deciding to completely change your script.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I can understand the whole Tell a Story bit, it's to stop contestants going overboard and just building to their strengths. I think every team so far are well capable of creating amazing builds, but creating builds with a theme a young kid can understand is very important.

As for the Lord and Miller mash up of genres, that was a bit chaotic, but I can understand they they didn't just give everyone complimentary genres like Thriller and Fantasy. Also it led to two sharks in love and I can't hate that.

I managed to sort some more boxes last night, man do I have way too much sandstone lego. I might need more boxes just to keep that stuff in check. Right now I'm purely sorting by colour, but if it becomes too hectic, I'll try to divide those up a bit more.

On the plus side, a Client of ours wants his lego house model and I've made the manual up and packaged the bricks.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
You goons know Strange Planet?

https://twitter.com/nathanwpyle/status/1233591849698365440?s=09

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Hah. I like that one

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Guess I'm spending 200 AUD on Lego this week.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PowerBeard posted:

On the plus side, a Client of ours wants his lego house model and I've made the manual up and packaged the bricks.

Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question, but do you bespoke lego?

Because I totally didn’t know that was a thing and if so it’s super rad

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was in our local Lego store yesterday and the staff were building the new Creator Fiat 500 before release date today. Didn’t realize that was a thing they did... kind of neat. Was really surprised since I didn’t even notice they had officially announced that... I only saw the leaks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Sometimes they do that, sometimes employees build em at home

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, they actually only announced it yesterday so I didn’t really miss it. Lego is so weird sometimes.

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2020/02/29/legos-newest-creator-expert-vehicle-revealed-as-the-italian-classic-fiat-500-news/

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

smackfu posted:

Heh, they actually only announced it yesterday so I didn’t really miss it. Lego is so weird sometimes.

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2020/02/29/legos-newest-creator-expert-vehicle-revealed-as-the-italian-classic-fiat-500-news/
I see a lot of negativity in the Brickset comments, but I think it's a stellar model. I'll be getting one once I save some pennies. The bright light yellow color scheme is a joy to behold, too - I had previously estimated at least 20 new parts being required in order to pull it off, but in practice, it appears to have 40+ new pieces in that color according to the Brickset inventory update. Super cool.

edit: from Eurobricks:

"I can't believe people actually like this set to be honest. I think it looks terrible and nothing like a Fiat 500. I asked my wife if she knew what car it was and she thought it might be some old 4x4? This feels similar to the DB5 debacle, really. Like a MOC build by an amateur who couldn't get it right and eventually just gave up. As a car it looks nice, but as a Fiat 500 it looks awful. I remember one that was posted here that just looks so so much better and it's as if LEGO thought they could do better but eventually realized they couldn't yet decided to release this anyway. I've no idea how several LEGO cars (The DB5, the huge Technic Porsche) pass the final verdict when the final result is as poor as this one."

lol. Always love the leap from "I don't like it" to "nobody should like it."

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 1, 2020

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Looked kinda bad to me at the start, but it's growing on me.

The creator expert cars almost always look better in person too, so I'm getting it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's a great model, but I don't care for fiat 500s, so it's a no go for me.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question, but do you bespoke lego?

Because I totally didn’t know that was a thing and if so it’s super rad

I make models out of most of our designs and we show them off to Clients. This one wanted to buy it off of me, so I made up an instruction manual and priced up the model for him.

Roof top pieces were painfully expensive though.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I think complaints of the proportions of the windows (front windscreen and rear quarter windows) are valid - actually, all complaints are valid obviously. I just think they did such a great job with the bodywork shaping and the feel of the thing, I can't help but like it. Other non-box-art angles are more flattering, too.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Time to buy it and then make a Lupin MOC

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It’s not nearly in the same league of not-great as the DB5, which I still like for the play features.

We’ve just been spoiled by the Mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

PowerBeard posted:

I can understand the whole Tell a Story bit, it's to stop contestants going overboard and just building to their strengths. I think every team so far are well capable of creating amazing builds, but creating builds with a theme a young kid can understand is very important.

I wish they'd try something new besides Tell a Story. Maybe do something mechanical, like a bridge to support the most weight, or give everyone the same 250 pieces and challenge them to do a thing, or include mindstorms. If all they do every week is a theme and the same old "explore your imagination" speech I think I'll be bored by the end of it.