Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

[S] John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Times John have been entertaining, off the top of my head (there are probably more)

- Long, multipage teen rant about how terrible Nicolas Cage is and the mechanics of Jade and Davesprite dating
- Dreambubble fight with Jack Noir
- All interactions with Vriska
- God-lessons with Roxy
- Beating up Caliborn
- That time he was a huge idiot and gave away his only communication device in the wallet

-Literally the best flash in the comic.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You know it's probably significant that roxy is calliope's best friend and john is caliborn's worst enemy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Vriska Tier
Vriska (Vriska)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tavros is best troll. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Poultron posted:

Why does everyone hate Jane so much I think she's a proper good lass

The problem with Jane is the plot never gives her anything fun to do. Like, when she was first introduced I was all excited because she's a spunky girl detective and a problem sleuth fangirl and I thought she was going to end up solving mysterious on prospit with alternate versions of Nervous Broad and Hysterical Dame. But then that didn't happen. Instead she ended up involved in a cliché/terrible love triangle and then turned evil (the boring kind of evil) and then died.

BUT now that she's a ghost she can hopefully do some stuff that's fun/interesting. Because she's a cool character with lots of potential who's just been in the wrong places at the wrong times.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jane is the straight man of her group, and never really got much of a chance to stretch her legs beyond that role. Being a skeptic is kind of her only personality trait that isn't part of being a teenage girl.

Her time as an evil puppet did breathe a bit of life into her, but it really depends on how much free will she was meant to have there.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
This is a stupid line of discussion because every character is good and cool or has done something good or cool except Cronus.

Homestuck is good and cool imo

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah, Hussie is a skilled enough character writer that I think that we'd fall for any kid/troll/cherub/whatever given the right environment and enough time to focus on them. Hell, I bet if we gave Eridan a little more time on his angel planet awkwardly hitting on his teammates he'd rank closer to "basically okay" or even "likable".

Not Cronus though.

He is the worst.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's interesting to actually figure out why you feel the way you do about different characters. I know my thoughts on them correspond to some degree with the effect they've had on the story, or more specifically, the progression of the story, and inversely to their screentime. On some level, for example, my like of John stems from the fact that he is actually important to the story progression, or at least was. Same for Bec Noir. In this respect, I rather dislike Jane, who had an entire arc where very little of consequence outside of that arc occurred.

I mean, that's not everything to it: characters I find funny like Roxy get a pass. But how much effect they've had on the story's progression towards the final confrontation with LE or to whatever intermediate goal is relevant at the time is absolutely important to my thoughts on the character.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Freak Futanari posted:

OFFICIAL HOMESTUCK TIER LIST

U HOMESTUCKIN': COOL
Vriska

U HOMESTUCKIN': GOOD
Roxy
Nepeta
Kanaya
Karkat
Dirk

U HOMESTUCKIN': BAD
John
Cronus
Kankri
Terezi

U HOMESTUCKIN': AWFUL
Tavros
Jake
Andrew Hussie :twisted:

I'm just going to assume that the Mayor, Postal Mistress, Jack Noir, and FedoraFreak aren't present out of respect, as all of those horrible characters can't compare to them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hussie is very good at writing unique character voices so the majority of homestuck characters are great. And Jane is good because she has a lot of great faces, has done the sweetest abscond in the series and her love of detectives is amusing because when I started reading act 6 I was being forced to read a lot of hard-boiled crime. Also she is probably the only non-strider who would enjoy an ironyified children's book, so points for that.

And the Alpha trolls are cool because Meenah is one and she is the best troll.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Clearly Equius is the best character. This is proven many times over, most recently with the fact that upon merging himself with the worst one, he instantly made the worst one about a billion times better.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But Cronus is canonically the worst character?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They are all good. Even Cronus is good at being awful.

At first, I thought that I did not like the trolls, but then I realized that I just didn't like cliffhangers being held for four months.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But Cronus is canonically the worst character?

Well yes, that goes without saying. Autoresponder is a close second.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

curiousTerminal posted:

Well yes, that goes without saying. Autoresponder is a close second.

Auto responder owns you dolt.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Who What Now posted:

Auto responder owns you dolt.

Oh I get it... you are doing the thing where you have ironically bad opinions. Very chic.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Auto Responder owned at first, then started to not own around the time Jake-Relationship-mania happened, and then went back to being great when he merged with Equiusprite. But now it's technically not AR so no, he doesn't own.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Poultron posted:

Oh I get it... you are doing the thing where you have ironically bad opinions. Very chic.

Dirk is great, AR is robo-Dirk, ergo AR is robo-great. QED

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Who What Now posted:

The only difference between John and Jake is no one wants to bone John.

Well someone clearly hasn't visited Tumblr.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Who What Now posted:

whowhatwhere posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

KoB posted:

-Literally the best flash in the comic.

Hell loving yes

(I don't get the Jane hate btw)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Hell loving yes

(I don't get the Jane hate btw)

SA hates fatties.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

WAR FOOT posted:

SA hates fatties.

But SA loves Vriska.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

whowhatwhere posted:

But SA loves Vriska.

SA loves fatties.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

SA loves fatties.

But SA hates Jane

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008134

and then half an hour later they're all dead. great job john :thumbsup:

e: wait this is my favorite [s] in the comic http://www.mspaintadventures.com/ACT6ACT6.php?s=6&p=008143

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 4, 2014

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Tollymain posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008134

and then half an hour later they're all dead. great job john :thumbsup:

e: wait this is my favorite [s] in the comic http://www.mspaintadventures.com/ACT6ACT6.php?s=6&p=008143

I never noticed, but Caliborn berates you if you try to skip to the next page before the flash is over :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poultron posted:

I never noticed, but Caliborn berates you if you try to skip to the next page before the flash is over :allears:

that's why it's the stealth Best Flash

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Burkion posted:

But SA hates Jane

I like Jane, I hope she gets to do cool stuff soon.

In fact I like all of the humans and trolls, I even like the alpha trolls.

But, let's be honest, Caliborn is the best character.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't hate Jane.

I don't care much about Jane, she's just kinda boring. But I don't hate her.

I don't really hate most of the characters outside of Cronus. He's just a sack of poo poo. And Gamzee.

Outside of Meenah, the rest of the Alpha trolls can go die

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I actually believe that Jane might be very, very dangerous...

http://bladekindeyewear.tumblr.com/post/37194329933/jane-crocker-is-very-dangerous

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

them's sure a lot of words there

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

In my humble opinion, take anything BladeKindEyeWear says with a huge grain of salt. He's so mired in his personal theories, compounding one on top of another that I think he's lost all sight of the actual story.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

WAR FOOT posted:

them's sure a lot of words there
A lot of very important ones.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

Outside of Meenah, the rest of the Alpha trolls can go die

I have some good news...

uggggggh

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So in Paradox Space news, today starts a 24-page comic about Crowbar (the best felt member after Cans), written by Hussie.

This should be good. :getin:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fucknag posted:

So in Paradox Space news, today starts a 24-page comic about Crowbar (the best felt member after Cans), written by Hussie.

Oh boy

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fucknag posted:

I am genuinely excited for this. We should've gotten an Intermission based comic months ago.

E: And out of all the members of the Felt, Crowbar is the closest to possibly being a character rather than a punchline. He's certainly gotten the most "dialog" and we know from his interactions with Slick that he's got a sassy loving mouth on him. I really want to see where this goes.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Hell loving yeah.