Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cops suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Darchangel posted:

'Merca!
It *is* illegal to have poo poo sticking that far out of the bodywork most places, BTW, but your police have to give a poo poo.

Pretty much...cops in the midwest don't give two shits about most of it. There are laws dictating that a truck/SUV tires can only stick out so many inches from the wheel well, but I see idiots in Jeeps or giant pickups all the time with ginormous wide tires sticking out a good 6-8" or more past the wheel well/fender.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's weird, I didn't realize Texas had a specific call out in law for International trucks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

um excuse me posted:

Legal ambiguity sure, but if you got into an at fault accident with those dumb things, lord help you.

What are they going to do, put you double at fault?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Drop you from insurance, or kindly increase your rate to absurd levels, decline repairs even with comprehensive, or even a combination! You know, all the fun stuff. Comprehensive doesn't cover aftermarket wheels without a suppliment at the very least so your stupid expensive dumb wheels are coming out of pocket to replace.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also when you get into an accident, the cops use that as an opportunity to run down the list of all the poo poo that's wrong on your car and print out a ream of tickets.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What are they going to do, put you double at fault?

Picture the fun an ambulance chaser would have displaying said idiot’s Instagram feed in court on behalf of his one-legged cyclist client.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I hate these so much. I hate things poking out of the car, and really hate things poking past the tire.

No probably at all:

The Law posted:

A passenger vehicle may not carry a load extending more than three inches beyond the left side line of its fenders or more than six inches beyond the right side line of its fenders.

That includes brodozers with wide tires and all the offset, but God forbid those fuckwits get stopped.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

um excuse me posted:

Drop you from insurance, or kindly increase your rate to absurd levels, decline repairs even with comprehensive, or even a combination! You know, all the fun stuff. Comprehensive doesn't cover aftermarket wheels without a suppliment at the very least so your stupid expensive dumb wheels are coming out of pocket to replace.

Dropping you or increasing your rates happens anyway if they were going to do it.

Comprehensive doesn’t cover damages to your car in an at fault accident, collision does. They would still pay for your car if you had collision because there isn’t an exclusion for being a dumbass.

Comprehensive does indeed cover aftermarket wheels but in general you only get $1k unless you purchase additional policy level coverage beyond this in the event of a comprehensive, collision, or uninsured motorist property damage claim.

GD_American posted:

Picture the fun an ambulance chaser would have displaying said idiot’s Instagram feed in court on behalf of his one-legged cyclist client.

Now this is a more realistic scenario but the Venn diagram of people who have cars with these wheels and have enough assets to be a viable lawsuit target might as well be the distance between the earth and the moon. It would be a good angle for a PI attorney to negotiate a bigger settlement though.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Darchangel posted:

I hate these so much. I hate things poking out of the car, and really hate things poking past the tire.

No probably at all:

quote:

A passenger vehicle may not carry a load extending more than three inches beyond the left side line of its fenders or more than six inches beyond the right side line of its fenders.

That includes brodozers with wide tires and all the offset, but God forbid those fuckwits get stopped.

The 'probably' is because tires and hub extensions are not loads. (But the hub extensions pictured above will still fail the '8 feet wide max, not including safety devices' bit)

Also for those hub extensions:

quote:

Sec.A547.004. GENERAL OFFENSES. (a) A person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor if the person operates or moves or, as an owner, knowingly permits another to operate or move, a vehicle that:
(1) is unsafe so as to endanger a person;

Krakkles posted:

That's weird, I didn't realize Texas had a specific call out in law for International trucks.

IDGI, but I'll probably kick myself when you explain.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Comprehensive does indeed cover aftermarket wheels but in general you only get $1k unless you purchase additional policy level coverage beyond this in the event of a comprehensive, collision, or uninsured motorist property damage claim.

Should the wheels be the cause of enough damage, it could be the tipping point that the magical insurance computer tells the adjuster that you aren't worth the trouble.

Also trust me, I had a 6 month battle over whether or not aftermarket wheels counted. In the end they refused, but I nickel and dimed them for everything they had to replace to defray as much as I could. Funny part is they covered the very much not factory size tires that cost twice as much as anything in the OE size.

Of course I guess at this point I should just say the part that makes everything just discussion. Every policy is different. Read your policy and figure out what's covered.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

joat mon posted:

IDGI, but I'll probably kick myself when you explain.

quote:

Exceptions
5. A motor vehicle used exclusively to transport and spread fertilizer.
International = "thirteen letter poo poo spreader"

:D

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Darchangel posted:

God forbid those fuckwits get stopped.

That's the case with every traffic law around here. People run red lights in the most egregious manner, run stop signs, never use turn signals, are general fuckwits who don't pay attention. It has been years since I've seen anyone get pulled over.
Cops don't got time for that - they are instead acting as taxpayer-funded loss prevention for the big box stores, because that's what's really important: shitposting terrible store surveillance potato pictures and "asking the public for help". That's the extent of what I see them do in my area.
gently caress cops.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 12, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Apple store near me has city police guard the door during launches and the holiday shopping season. Park the patrol car out front and spend the whole shift on a stool by the door.

Granted the place has been robbed once (maybe twice, can't remember for sure) but it was after hours. Planting him there during the day is a straight up "behave or else" shoplift deterrent. I'd like to think Apple is compensating the city for the service but being cynical and suspicious I tend to assume it was a "help us out or our store leaves your lovely town and no one shops here anymore."

Same town has a 25 mph speed limit and idiots in their status mobiles habitually blow through over 40, somehow the cops don't got manpower to deal with that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

I see you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

xzzy posted:

The Apple store near me has city police guard the door during launches and the holiday shopping season. Park the patrol car out front and spend the whole shift on a stool by the door.

Granted the place has been robbed once (maybe twice, can't remember for sure) but it was after hours. Planting him there during the day is a straight up "behave or else" shoplift deterrent. I'd like to think Apple is compensating the city for the service but being cynical and suspicious I tend to assume it was a "help us out or our store leaves your lovely town and no one shops here anymore."

Same town has a 25 mph speed limit and idiots in their status mobiles habitually blow through over 40, somehow the cops don't got manpower to deal with that.

Cops can work part time security gigs in uniform when off duty.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Cops can work part time security gigs in uniform when off duty.
And protect corporate interests with all the authority and power of a government official! The american dream, if you will.
:)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yup. I worked bar security alongside several cops for 9 years and saw them kick 7 shades of poo poo out of assorted people while legally off duty. Sometimes they were drunker than the person they were detaining.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Back in the early 2000s it seemed like the best way to keep your rave at established venues from getting shut down was to hire off duty but in uniform cops for "security." I saw some pretty funny moments of cops just messing with people hosed out of their mind.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I once lived near a bingo place where the security guard was a plainclothes guy standing on the sidewalk open carrying a handgun

I'm in CA so I never could figure out the legalities of that, but I post this here on the offchance someone does

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

thechalkoutline posted:

I once lived near a bingo place where the security guard was a plainclothes guy standing on the sidewalk open carrying a handgun

I'm in CA so I never could figure out the legalities of that, but I post this here on the offchance someone does
Either wantonly breaking the law (unlikely), a licensed armed Security Guard (I.e., with a firearm permit), or on off-duty cop (most likely).

The middle option seems unlikely because of the lack of a uniform, but I don't see anything that actually says they would have to.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rhyno posted:

Yup. I worked bar security alongside several cops for 9 years and saw them kick 7 shades of poo poo out of assorted people while legally off duty. Sometimes they were drunker than the person they were detaining.

Old enough to remember the 412 club?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Old enough to remember the 412 club?

I went there once or twice before they closed up. That was owned by the guy who cam never have a liquor license again if memory serves.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MomJeans420 posted:

Back in the early 2000s it seemed like the best way to keep your rave at established venues from getting shut down was to hire off duty but in uniform cops for "security." I saw some pretty funny moments of cops just messing with people hosed out of their mind.

Been there - as in the cops were loving with me while on a head full of LSD. Not fun. :mad:

Though most of my rave days were in the mid-late 90s. Apparently Austin still has a little bit of a rave scene going, and my soon-to-be-roommate is still into the rave scene a bit (I still have pics of him hosed up 7 ways from Sunday in the 90s at raves, go figure).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

gently caress man, I wouldn't say no to a couple tabs these days.

The rave scene kinda has an age limit though, that's a teenager's game.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me posted:

Depends on the state. Comprehensive in TX covers up to $1000 total in aftermarket equipment.

That's wheels, tires, stereo equipment, etc... combined. Seeing as just one wheel like that can run that much alone, and very few people bother taking out the rider, welp...

Elviscat posted:

gently caress man, I wouldn't say no to a couple tabs these days.

The rave scene kinda has an age limit though, that's a teenager's game.

I won't touch acid again, but MDMA? Sure, so long as I have a couple of days to recover. Won't touch coke or meth again. I barely even touch :420: for that matter (it's a once or twice a month thing now).

Friend has the genes going for him and looks way younger than he really is (he looks ~32ish with a shirt on, ~28 without a shirt... yes I'm jealous). Me, ehhhh I can pass for 35ish if I dye my hair; I'm pretty salt and pepper these days though. I dyed it solid black for a decade, but that just looks kinda weird at my age (since I have wrinkles and poo poo now).

Kids don't know what real raves are, they're mostly in established venues. BACK IN MY DAY WE'D HAVE THEM IN BARNS AND ABANDONED WAREHOUSES :corsair: (but I'd still almost hurt someone to see AK1200 or Tiesto again)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 13, 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

STR posted:

I won't touch acid again,
Out of curiosity, why? I get no meth/coke, but what's the issue for LSD?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

What are you, 80? 25 mph speed limits on main roads loving suck and exist purely for the ticket revenue.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

STR posted:

(but I'd still almost hurt someone to see AK1200 or Tiesto again)

Those two artists still play all the time. Just buy a ticket and go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KillHour posted:

What are you, 80? 25 mph speed limits on main roads loving suck and exist purely for the ticket revenue.

What are you, a giant rear end in a top hat? I gave no opinion on whether the 25 mph speed limit was a good idea or not so I'm not sure why you're getting all snotty about it. My only assertion is that if there's a posted speed limit people should respect it. If they think it's too low, work on getting the law changed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

joat mon posted:

I had a couple of bad experiences with it. And I just don't enjoy the mindfuck anymore.

Coydog posted:

Those two artists still play all the time. Just buy a ticket and go.

I know. I've been saddled with someone that kept reminding me I'm "too old to be listening to that kind of music". :saddowns:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

xzzy posted:

My only assertion is that if there's a posted speed limit people should respect it.

Don't worry, I place my right hand over my heart and take a moment of silence when I blow past the sign at 40mph. :patriot:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Too paranoid to try acid probably means that I shouldn't = my motto.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

STR posted:

I had a couple of bad experiences with it. And I just don't enjoy the mindfuck anymore.

I know. I've been saddled with someone that kept reminding me I'm "too old to be listening to that kind of music". :saddowns:

My dad is in his 60's and will still jam to new music with me. You're never too damned old to listen to music you enjoy. I suggest you remind whatever whippersnapper tells you some bullshit like that of this wonderful fact.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

joat mon posted:

The problem with LSD is it's great fun until it's not, then you're in for the looooong ride whether you like it or not.

I went through a period in my 20's where I was using it a lot until I had a few bad trips right in a row and said gently caress it not worth it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The problem with LSD is it's great fun until it's not, then you're in for the looooong ride whether you like it or not.

I went through a period in my 20's where I was using it a lot until I had a few bad trips right in a row and said gently caress it not worth it.

Basically what happened to me. I was tripping 1-3x a week for a couple of years, also doing plenty of MDMA (so my serotonin was pretty much gone for awhile). Definitely reduced my brain cell count by a lot.

Elmnt80 posted:

My dad is in his 60's and will still jam to new music with me. You're never too damned old to listen to music you enjoy. I suggest you remind whatever whippersnapper tells you some bullshit like that of this wonderful fact.

I did, constantly. "But it's not metal!" No poo poo. I listen to a shitload of genres. My SiriusXM favorites list has everything from country to rap (and most of my music listening, at least at work, is via SiriusXM).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

Basically what happened to me. I was tripping 1-3x a week for a couple of years, also doing plenty of MDMA (so my serotonin was pretty much gone for awhile). Definitely reduced my brain cell count by a lot.

Holy poo poo that's way more than I did lol. I remember hearing about "bad trips" and thinking it was a myth until it happened to me. It was horrible the first time, and when I thought it couldn't possibly happen again it happened the very next time, so I figured i was pretty much doomed to ever do it again because you really need to be in a good state of mind before you take it. If you're super paranoid that you're gonna have a bad trip before you even take it, it's probably going to happen.

So it was bye bye LSD for me, I just took shrooms when I wanted to trip after that they were better anyways, not so intense and don't last as long.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

joat mon posted:

its all fun and games until the acid starts tinting your normal weed highs

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elmnt80 posted:

STR posted:

I did, constantly. "But it's not metal!" No poo poo. I listen to a shitload of genres. My SiriusXM favorites list has everything from country to rap (and most of my music listening, at least at work, is via SiriusXM).

This. I listen to a new-ish local station that plays newer "alternative" stuff here in Dallas (I'm not sure it's really apternative, like, say KDGE "The Edge" (for those of you in the neighborhood) used to be, but I like it) all the time when out in the garage. and the local Classic Rock station, and the local "Rock" station. And if not that, my positively schizophrenic Pandora shuffle or phone playlist.
I do find it funny that the "alt" station used to be Top 40/Adult Contemporary.
I mean, seriously - I go from The Piano Guys, Two Cellos, and movie soundtrack-style orchestral to Pantera, Sabaton, and Turisas, just to set a range. And a tiny bit of country. "Eclectic" is one word for it.
It's really fun blasting orchestral stuff out of the system in my car to counteract the rap in the next car over or something,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

xzzy posted:

What are you, a giant rear end in a top hat? I gave no opinion on whether the 25 mph speed limit was a good idea or not so I'm not sure why you're getting all snotty about it. My only assertion is that if there's a posted speed limit people should respect it. If they think it's too low, work on getting the law changed.

I live in a smaller-size subdevelopment with a 25 MPH speed limit with a much larger subdevelopment flanking it to the southwest, another to the southeast, a business park to the north, and the sole (nearby) road to a large technology-company-attractor area directly west. A couple years ago the city shut down an east-west road near the subdivision, resulting in the prevailing rush hour traffic using my neighborhood as a commuting route in and out of the tech-area. Morning and evening, there are folks doing 40-45 MPH on their way to/from work; some commuter has a self-inflicted crash into a mailbox, traffic circle curb, or parked car every other month. It's a fairly young-person neighborhood, with plenty of sub-double-digits kids who play in yards and ride bikes; I'm flinchingly awaiting the day when one of those commuters smacks into a kid.

Maybe drive 65 in a 55, okay. Doing 40+ in a 25 MPH neighborhood? That limit's there for a reason.