Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Man I just did the guillaume and Vivienne quest again in my replay, and this time I didn't tell him about her (which seemed like the right thing to do the first time but the dialog choices are a bit unclear) and he is such a pissy little bitch about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I finally beat the game a few weeks ago, I bought the game in May 2016, and would play it on and off. Plus, I did all the side quests, got all treasures, and did everything on both DLC's before I even got to Kaer Morhen.

I wanted to end up with Yen, but I didn't realize what I was doing until it was too late, so I decided to go with Triss, because I at least didn't want Geralt to end up alone in the end.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I wish I'd farmed more mutagens before new game +

My cup runneth over with ability points to buy new mutations but I don't have the mutagens

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

andrew smash posted:

Man I just did the guillaume and Vivienne quest again in my replay, and this time I didn't tell him about her (which seemed like the right thing to do the first time but the dialog choices are a bit unclear) and he is such a pissy little bitch about it.

Just wait, you'll run into him in the city later.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
There's a point of interest (and some loot) south of the town with the pogrom early on in Thronebreaker that I can't access, and it's driving me nuts. I've just about cleared the map except for this one area. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I wish I'd farmed more mutagens before new game +

My cup runneth over with ability points to buy new mutations but I don't have the mutagens

If you had farmed more, you'd just wind up pissed off. Due to a bug regarding item slot stacking, only one colored mutagen of each kind carries over into new game plus. Regis's mutagen-generating doohickey disappears from your inventory too, so you're not going to be buying the rest of those mutations until at least Skellige. :(

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
does whoreson junior sound really cool in polish, because there is a character called whoreson junior in this game

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's one of the common curse words in Polish. Usually it's like "Skurrrrrwysyn jebany".

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eau de MacGowan posted:

does whoreson junior sound really cool in polish, because there is a character called whoreson junior in this game

Have you met the character yet? His name could be "slimy turd" and as dumb as the name is, it would still be appropriate. Whoreson is Joffrey if Joffrey was a thug and not royalty.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Not killing junior is a worse crime than not killing cat witcher or even dating triss

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
geralt is all fine and dandy but pissed off geralt will straight murder you

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

andrew smash posted:

Not killing junior is a worse crime than not killing cat witcher or even dating triss

I'm not so sure. Killing him is fine...but leaving him in the dirt and gutter poor is also fun and good comeuppance. I've never tried, but is there an option to let Ciri kill him when she visits?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
He tortures women to death for fun who the gently caress cares if you see him later looking pathetic. He's straight up the worst individual human being in the entire game.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

andrew smash posted:

Now where would I be if I started killing monsters for free?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

one of my favorite scenes is geralt slapping whoreson junior around for several minutes before actually talking to him

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

andrew smash posted:

I had to fight the urge to skip through the dialogue (which I don't do with W3 because it's all so good) just so I could kill the poo poo out of him asap

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
A broke hobo with a hot rear end magic lady girlfriend who leaves money hidden around for you because she knows you're gonna starve on principle otherwise, ie in a pretty good spot all things told

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I was merciful to olgierd though which might make me at least a slight hypocrite?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

one of my favorite scenes is geralt slapping whoreson junior around for several minutes before actually talking to him

I wish that scene was animated better because they use a lot of quick cuts to hide that they didn't have custom animations built for the scene. It looks awkward and it's one of the few times the character animation falters.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I was merciful to olgierd though which might make me at least a slight hypocrite?

Olgierd is the lesser evil

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I let mirror man consume him. gently caress that prick

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Really cool sword though

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DoctorGonzo posted:

I let mirror man consume him. gently caress that prick

I like Olgierd, he's a total bro!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

With Olgierd it's a choice between him and the literal devil, so it's really a matter of who you think causes more suffering (hint: the devil).

With Whoreson it strikes me as an odd choice to spare him when you walk in and it's a loving abattoir with women's corpses littered everywhere. At least the Cat Witcher had a reason for what he did, whether it was a good one or not. Whoreson just does this poo poo for fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Whoreson got got. I don't even think I debated, like the thing with the Crones and the tree spirit .

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

it's one of the few straight on black and white choices imo

i forgot how wimpy the resolution of the quest with the nilfgaardian twins was

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It's nice that sparing him leaves him to be destitute and miserable but Geralt doesn't know that at the time of his decision. You gonna show mercy to this guy who's decorated the room you're in with his victims?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Hobo Clown posted:

It's nice that sparing him leaves him to be destitute and miserable but Geralt doesn't know that at the time of his decision. You gonna show mercy to this guy who's decorated the room you're in with his victims?

If it's known that Geralt will spare people who give him the information he wants, they'll be more likely to squeal in the future. If it's known that he'll kill them either way, they may decide to keep their mouths shut to spite him.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dawgstar posted:

Whoreson got got. I don't even think I debated, like the thing with the Crones and the tree spirit .

Yeah, there is no good way to resolve the crone story.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Paracelsus posted:

If it's known that Geralt will spare people who give him the information he wants, they'll be more likely to squeal in the future. If it's known that he'll kill them either way, they may decide to keep their mouths shut to spite him.

Better to make it known that Geralt will kill you if he catches you torturing and mutilating others for fun. Axii works on like 95% of the people Geralt interrogates, letting a psychopath go free to make that other 5% easier isn't much of a trade

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Been in Skellige for a few hours and even with Skyrim fatigue I feel like this should have been the game's primary setting. Velen is just so ugly and unpleasant to be in, a swamp populated exclusively by game of thrones extras. Skellige is beautiful and haunting with great vistas.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

toussaint > novigrad > skellige > velen for me

the game's been at its best in the cities and i actually quit the game for like 6 months because of how hard i bounced off of velen initially on my first playthrough. i skipped most of the velen stuff to go to novigrad instead and it hooked me.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Honestly my favorite areas are the non-devastated countrysides of novigrad / Hearts of Stone and Toussaint. Velen is good but it's bleak as gently caress

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Been in Skellige for a few hours and even with Skyrim fatigue I feel like this should have been the game's primary setting. Velen is just so ugly and unpleasant to be in, a swamp populated exclusively by game of thrones extras. Skellige is beautiful and haunting with great vistas.

Could it be that's the point? :thunk:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tender Bender posted:

The Witcher 3 has no bad areas or design or quests or graphics or music or anything I won't hear of it. Seriously though, this is the only game I've ever played where the slightest bit of criticism irks me. You're not wrong, I'm just dumb and really biased.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I will say I like that when you're talking to a certain Witcher 2 character it plays leitmotifs from that game which is a neat touch.

GrossMurpel posted:

Could it be that's the point? :thunk:

Yo it still sucks, sorry. *rides off to an identical five shack town where every npc greets me by saying "gently caress" and spitting at nothing in particular*

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

I will say I like that when you're talking to a certain Witcher 2 character it plays leitmotifs from that game which is a neat touch.

Yo it still sucks, sorry. *rides off to an identical five shack town where every npc greets me by saying "gently caress" and spitting at nothing in particular*

Yeah that's less a problem with Velen being desolate though and more with the open world being copypasted horse poo poo.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Cat witcher's only crime is going overboard - I was ready to kill him until he told his story and then I was like huh this poo poo happens to Geralt all the time (flashback of me killing several traitorous quest givers) and just let him go. Later on Lambert also opened up about why he's such a dick all the time and I'm extra glad I let the cat witcher live cause who knows what insane sob story that dude has.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
He murdered kids to make a point, or because he was pissed, or whatever. He was justified in defending himself and killing the people who tried to corner and kill him. Then he decided to slaughter their families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Agreed that killing anyone other than the villagers that attacked him was hosed up, but that said I was still able to sympathize enough to not kill him. The game definitely puts Geralt in a lot of awkward situations where he has to do some 'gray area' killing - not to mention that Witchers have the world's most intense PTSD.

Heck, during the Skellige quests (depending on how you handle them) Cerys will pretend to murder a baby causing two guards to attack Geralt. After Geralt murders the two guards it's revealed that it was just a prank to help one dude lift a curse on him and I'm just like.... Oooo kaaaay what about the two guards I cut in half? Did that really need to happen?