Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Mornacale posted:

Can we also have a talk on what it means when a rookie team has a better Pythag than you and then soundly beats you for the next two seasons and promotes while you languish in the JV league?

Big words for a team destined to the sub-par

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
I Am Going To Kill The Janus And Laugh About It The Whole Time

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Mornacale posted:

It's a lot easier to not worry about roster moves when you have the most broken player in SL history, who never gets injured and makes your pitching staff essentially immune to being injured and/or sucking, and somehow got to keep him despite being Macho'd.

Hey now, if anything can be learned from your history of roster moves, it's that it's also a lot easier to not worry about your roster moves when you find out that your Sub-Par League gimmick isn't getting you as far in the Super-League as you had thought.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Craig, didn't you just come from the Sub-Par after spending like twelve seasons consistently underperforming in order to amass a boatload of draft picks? Maybe... maybe you shouldn't be throwing any stones from inside of that glass house, is all I'm saying

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

(admittedly, "surviving in the Sub-Par for like twelve seasons" is a more impressive feat than I've ever managed so far, it's true, so I shouldn't be stone-throwing either I guess)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

even with the worst luck imaginable i think with the scientists roster i would have been stunned to see them die in the gauntlet

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
I feel like this has been said already, but one team does not the MACHINE make. Those of you that really believe it so, let's hear it. If the MACHINE is the most broken player ever, what will you offer for its services? I've won championships and kinda stagnated and honestly I'd like to mix things up going forward. So Iet's hear offers for it. No Buck, no Babe, but if the MACHINE is that godly, what have you to offer?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Shawon Dunston posted:

I feel like this has been said already, but one team does not the MACHINE make. Those of you that really believe it so, let's hear it. If the MACHINE is the most broken player ever, what will you offer for its services? I've won championships and kinda stagnated and honestly I'd like to mix things up going forward. So Iet's hear offers for it. No Buck, no Babe, but if the MACHINE is that godly, what have you to offer?

Nothing. Screw defense, hit singles.

But it's probably worth a good SS plus a good hitter and elite pitcher. So like Trammell plus manny plus joss or something.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
Like to be perfectly blunt, if you're having so little fun in the Super League that you feel the need to bitch at and about every part of it , maybe don't be in it any more , just saying

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
You would make MACHINE available a day too late...

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Pander posted:

Nothing. Screw defense, hit singles.

But it's probably worth a good SS plus a good hitter and elite pitcher. So like Trammell plus manny plus joss or something.

What about A-Rod + Edgar + Joss :unsmith:

edit: I am dead serious about this and would be willing to negotiate, of course that's not the actual machine owner so

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 23, 2016

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
Oh are we bidding for the MACHINE I bid banks + Aaron + waddell then

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

DannoMack posted:

You would make MACHINE available a day too late...

A day too late for what? It's the offseason. Also I would never have gone Babe/Buck+ MACHINE for that gazonga trade that you made with this scientists, division opponent plus I already have enough mediocrity on my roster.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Craig K posted:

Oh are we bidding for the MACHINE I bid banks + Aaron + waddell then

I'm back and drunk and trading. That's a good start.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

For the machine ?

I'll.offer prime Alan Trammel + your choice of pitcher (08 Joe Wood, 08 cy young, 90 Old hoss, 02 jack Powell ) + any hitter not named Tris speaker (that's a 41 Ted Williams , 52 Ted Williams,25 Gehrig or 38 Mel Ott)

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I have a feeling I should get in on this somehow but I dunno where to start :P

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
That trade owns I got satchel Paige and this speaker as the headliners plus a bunch of other starters

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Craig K posted:

That trade owns I got satchel Paige and this speaker as the headliners plus a bunch of other starters

Sure. But now the RCMP offense is unstoppable. He offered you a trade like the Pirates could have way back when if we'd cared more about firepower than longevity.

I'm also drunk and open season on the MACHINE is still in effect. I don't know, gently caress it it's time for a change

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Shawon Dunston posted:

If the MACHINE is the most broken player ever, what will you offer for its services?

I think the masked shortstop was actually the most broken player ever. I also think him and the Machine have made smasher more conservative in creating new players.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

shepard.shouldgo posted:

For the machine ?

I'll.offer prime Alan Trammel + your choice of pitcher (08 Joe Wood, 08 cy young, 90 Old hoss, 02 jack Powell ) + any hitter not named Tris speaker (that's a 41 Ted Williams , 52 Ted Williams,25 Gehrig or 38 Mel Ott)

Since you're the one offering, what year do you mean by prime?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Shawon Dunston posted:

A day too late for what? It's the offseason. Also I would never have gone Babe/Buck+ MACHINE for that gazonga trade that you made with this scientists, division opponent plus I already have enough mediocrity on my roster.

Before I make an offer on MACHINE, let me tell you why Aaron Ledesma is a better SS than Trammell or Banks...

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Shawon Dunston posted:

Since you're the one offering, what year do you mean by prime?

1982 so 24 years old

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

24 years old isn't prime :I

edit: isn't mogul prime like, 26-29 or something inane?

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Shawon Dunston posted:

heres my spreadsheet pretty obviously nobodys off the board

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GVVZezh0-H5cgV6nvVDbutEaVYEqsF6P_v0sXubSARU/edit#gid=0

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Mogul Prime varies from player to player, there's a setting for it in the player editor.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

rabidsquid posted:

generally I think of prime as 24-34(see "Smashers super league guide"), also Trammell was a full time player starting in 1978 so mogul treats him as being fully formed by that point

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Shawon Dunston posted:

1990 Wade Boggs (32yrs old) and 1915 Walter Johnson (27yrs old), let's go!

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

DannoMack posted:

1990 Wade Boggs (32yrs old) and 1915 Walter Johnson (27yrs old), let's go!

32 is on the old side for an infielder. Especially when there's no SS involved to replace the MACHINE

Jampact
Jun 3, 2008
So despite all the great offers, I think I am going to keep Betances. I'll list the guys that will be available here later today or tomorrow.

However, I would be willing to trade Kershaw, a SS and a couple RP for The Machine if that interests you...

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Shawon Dunston posted:

32 is on the old side for an infielder. Especially when there's no SS involved to replace the MACHINE

He's got 6 years of full seasons with OPS+ above 100 and positive TZs. He'd have gone top 5 in the draft we're in now, which happens to be pretty stacked at SS so you can get one there. You're not getting Ledesma hands off!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

quote:

rabidsquid - Today at 11:51 AM
I sort of hope if the machine does get traded he gets traded to a team that isnt outstanding so it can settle the "the machine is busted" argument for good

...hey, I'm not outstanding.

1991 Wade Boggs OR 1977 George Brett, plus the pitcher of your choice and whatever other stuff you might find in my minors and bench. Have a look at my roster post, Beet, and see what you think.

EDIT: Oh, right, and draft picks, I have those too

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i like people saying "anybody BUT x" in a trade for the goddamn machine thats actually kinda cute

no, it's "anybody" period

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

DannoMack posted:

He's got 6 years of full seasons with OPS+ above 100 and positive TZs. He'd have gone top 5 in the draft we're in now, which happens to be pretty stacked at SS so you can get one there. You're not getting Ledesma hands off!

TZ is based on range which is based on opportunities which is rooted in the fact you're heavily into deadballers. It doesn't mean he's good, it means he doesn't gently caress up so badly that the boatload of chances he gets are squandered. 32 year old Boggs is league average at best, and a candidate for intra-year depreciation. I'd love him because his bat fits my team perfectly and I don't care much about 3B defense, but deadball teams probably lose more value than you'd expect from his glove.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
There is nobody on my team I would trade for The Machine. Nobody.

If you really have your heart set on trading with me, you can have Julio Lugo from my feeders. But you'll have to throw in your 4th.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I was going to draft the MACHINE until Beet stole him so I should get him now.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Pander posted:

32 year old Boggs is league average at best,

League average at best at what? His hitting is better by like ten points at least than the league average OPS+ for a 3B. His fielding percentage is above average, his range is above average. He's not even average at anything?

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
If MACHINE gets traded:
1) We should be allowed to change our tag team name
2) We'll win anyways because even without MACHINE our tag lineup is stacked

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

DannoMack posted:

League average at best at what? His hitting is better by like ten points at least than the league average OPS+ for a 3B. His fielding percentage is above average, his range is above average. He's not even average at anything?

At 32 he's not an above average fielding 3B. You are relying on lovely metrics to make your case there.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I'll offer a great SS AND an ace pitcher. That's right, my offer is Martin Dihigo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Pander posted:

At 32 he's not an above average fielding 3B. You are relying on lovely metrics to make your case there.

Fielding percentage, range and TZ. What else should I use? The fact that he won gold gloves IRL in 1994 and 1995 at ages 36 and 37?