Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
More seriously, Jadia is not following a script. At each moment she is simple doing what she thinks is best, knowing what she will do and how it will turn out. It's not that she doesn't have a choice in what she says or does, she does - it's just that being who she is, and knowing what she knows, she can see the choice she will make. Just like a parent who knows, absolutely, that if it came to it they would sacrifice themselves to save their child - except Jadia knows that about every choice she will make and is 100% right about it.

So to that end, Jadia isnt lying, but not because she's omniscient. She isn't lying because she's not the sort of person who would in this situation. A compulsive liar or trickster in her situation would be just as determined in their path, but their path would involve a whole lot of whoppers being told. But Jadis doesn't seem the point of lying, as near as we can tell, and so doesn't - it's not that she can't, maybe there are plenty of hypothetical ituations where she might choose to, but none of them matter because they won't be happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

GlyphGryph posted:

More seriously, Jadia is not following a script. At each moment she is simple doing what she thinks is best, knowing what she will do and how it will turn out. It's not that she doesn't have a choice in what she says or does, she does - it's just that being who she is, and knowing what she knows, she can see the choice she will make. Just like a parent who knows, absolutely, that if it came to it they would sacrifice themselves to save their child - except Jadia knows that about every choice she will make and is 100% right about it.

So to that end, Jadia isnt lying, but not because she's omniscient. She isn't lying because she's not the sort of person who would in this situation. A compulsive liar or trickster in her situation would be just as determined in their path, but their path would involve a whole lot of whoppers being told. But Jadis doesn't seem the point of lying, as near as we can tell, and so doesn't - it's not that she can't, maybe there are plenty of hypothetical ituations where she might choose to, but none of them matter because they won't be happening.

Have you considered, my good buddy, that perhaps Jadis tells the truth sometimes, and lies other times because that's what she does?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jadis' behavior isn't acausal or arbitrary, just kind of confoundingly recursive. Everything she does is in the script, but the script doesn't have her doing anything contrary to her character.

Jadis is resigned to who she is. She'll never change, and she knows she'll never change, no matter how sad and hurt she knows she'll feel about never changing. That's an important part of the metaphor of being immobile inside a block of glass.

If you want to know whether she's lying, you've got to ask: who is Jadis? Is she a liar?

You know who's a liar in this world? YISUN. None of the demiurges are Royal, but Jadis is the furthest from it. She doesn't believe herself capable of Wanting anything, and of all beings in the universe she's the least able to kindly ignore the futility of existence. She is convinced that the universe is absolutely true, and has resigned herself utterly to that truth. YISUN would lie; Jadis would never defy the truth that broke her.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Jadis' behavior isn't acausal or arbitrary, just kind of confoundingly recursive. Everything she does is in the script, but the script doesn't have her doing anything contrary to her character.

Jadis is resigned to who she is. She'll never change, and she knows she'll never change, no matter how sad and hurt she knows she'll feel about never changing. That's an important part of the metaphor of being immobile inside a block of glass.

If you want to know whether she's lying, you've got to ask: who is Jadis? Is she a liar?

You know who's a liar in this world? YISUN. None of the demiurges are Royal, but Jadis is the furthest from it. She doesn't believe herself capable of Wanting anything, and of all beings in the universe she's the least able to kindly ignore the futility of existence. She is convinced that the universe is absolutely true, and has resigned herself utterly to that truth. YISUN would lie; Jadis would never defy the truth that broke her.

I can't stop pushing the boulder because what am I without the boulder?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I agree with a few previous statements that it doesn't seem in Jadis' character to lie like a trickster, but I could totally see it being in her character to lie like when a parent tells their child that their pet dog went upstate to live with their uncle on his farm, and totally didn't die. Especially if she knew that was what she was "supposed to do" and it's for the best.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Someone who can come across an injured person and devise that whole goofy scenario where she plays doctor instead of a mummy in a cube/mouthpiece for infinity definitely has all the faculties needed to lie but like Oxxidation said she'll never lie about a prophecy *in the comic* because there's no functional difference between a bit character with virtually no internality lying and them simply being wrong, if Jadis could just be making poo poo up any time she says anything her omniscience is kinda moot and all her scenes might as well just be Mottom again or something, just some rando who patches Allison up and goes "things are pretty hosed eh". We've had that, this is the Word Of God that things are objectively, incontrovertibly pretty hosed up and it doesn't work if God is known to spout bullshit sometimes

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 7, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it doesn't work if God is known to spout bullshit sometimes

idk in my experience all God spouts is bullshit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndsME9Vd4es

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

lol that show has some hilarious characters

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Someone who can come across an injured person and devise that whole goofy scenario where she plays doctor instead of a mummy in a cube/mouthpiece for infinity definitely has all the faculties needed to lie but like Oxxidation said she'll never lie about a prophecy *in the comic* because there's no functional difference between a bit character with virtually no internality lying and them simply being wrong, if Jadis could just be making poo poo up any time she says anything her omniscience is kinda moot and all her scenes might as well just be Mottom again or something, just some rando who patches Allison up and goes "things are pretty hosed eh". We've had that, this is the Word Of God that things are objectively, incontrovertibly pretty hosed up and it doesn't work if God is known to spout bullshit sometimes

:allears: if you count on any character within any story to tell you the reader any objective truths about that story

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The real answer is that Jadis isn't lying because that would be the boring solution to Allison's challenges.

But then again Jagganoth was supposed to be no poo poo invincible until Maya came up with One Weird Trick so who knows anymore. :shrug:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jagganoth's power is that he is already dead. His death lives not just inside of him, but all around him. For him, killing is easier than breathing, easier than sweating. The angel nails are extra, he has been dead for a very long time.

The maybe sword is useless against someone who can assert they are alive.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

YaketySass posted:

The real answer is that Jadis isn't lying because that would be the boring solution to Allison's challenges.

But then again Jagganoth was supposed to be no poo poo invincible until Maya came up with One Weird Trick so who knows anymore. :shrug:

words cannot express how disappointed I will be if Maya's one weird trick actually works on him

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

words cannot express how disappointed I will be if Maya's one weird trick actually works on him

I don't think Allison can beat him at violence. He's the violence man. She might beat him at being unkillable though. So Jagganoth might be the one who has to deal with the novel experience (for him) of dealing with an opponent he cannot kill.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I'm sure the Maybe Sword will become pivotally important at some point, but I strongly doubt it's going to be Jagganoth that gets the Big Cut.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Youremother posted:

I'm sure the Maybe Sword will become pivotally important at some point, but I strongly doubt it's going to be Jagganoth that gets the Big Cut.

"Wow guys, it was close but we managed to defeat Jagganoth without resorting to violence. I brought a cake, just in case to celebrate...oh no! I didn't pack a knife!"

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

YaketySass posted:

We've never seen Jagganoth get Maybe Sworded so idk where you're getting that it actually 100% works to chop him into for reals deadsies.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Youremother posted:

it'll be metatron

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Yeah it's definitely going to be Metatron

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Surgically cut the angel feathers embedded in Jagganoth's flesh by maybe-swording right through him. He is invulnerable, the feathers perhaps not.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder if Allison could get her own feathers from Metatron. If Zoss can bully the names of God out of Metatron, you'd think some feathers would be fair game

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you're invulnerable unless someone is smart enough to pull out the nails that make you invulnerable then you're not invulnerable, you're a videogame boss with a weak spot.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder if Allison could get her own feathers from Metatron. If Zoss can bully the names of God out of Metatron, you'd think some feathers would be fair game

Getting feathers from a truly alien entity, in the perfect void outside normal reality, might go something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUe-HcdEnzo

At least the first shot of liquor

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Given how Allison rolls these days she’d just kinda laugh, pluck out a handful, then realize they’re loving useless anyway before throwing them in Jagg’s face or something.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Still holding out for White Chain to forcefully reincarnate all the prime angels in the void into whatever she is.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
the maybe sword kills people who aren't sufficiently self-determined to live, my bet is that it doesn't kill jagganoth but cuts away his desire to destroy everything because allison manages to instill a sliver of doubt in him about it being the only solution

i am not just saying that just because i'm hoping for a later jagganoth beach episode in the same way we're getting a solomon gone fishing episode, but i won't deny that it's a contributing factor

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

shirts and skins posted:

Youremother posted:

it'll be metatron

what about the wheel itself

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pardot posted:

what about the wheel itself

Can't spin the wheel if there is no wheel (taps head)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

jagganoth beach episode

K6BD swimsuit issue when?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Elissimpark posted:

K6BD swimsuit issue when?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

the maybe sword kills people who aren't sufficiently self-determined to live, my bet is that it doesn't kill jagganoth but cuts away his desire to destroy everything because allison manages to instill a sliver of doubt in him about it being the only solution

i am not just saying that just because i'm hoping for a later jagganoth beach episode in the same way we're getting a solomon gone fishing episode, but i won't deny that it's a contributing factor

Ok but he can't know how to relax at a beach so he needs to be head down in the surf but otherwise fine trying to figure it out.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

If Jagg says "yes, I'm alive", then he is no longer the dead man he is now, so it's a win. If he doesn't, he gets Cut, so it's also a win. The Double-Edged Maybe Sword.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Elissimpark posted:

"Wow guys, it was close but we managed to defeat Jagganoth without resorting to violence. I brought a cake, just in case to celebrate...oh no! I didn't pack a knife!"

The Conquering King is here with the Maybe Sword to answer... is Jagganoth cake?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Allison is too stupid to die. Jaggonath is already dead. Neither will be killed by the Maybe sword. Although its use may prompt Jaggs to talk again, like at the end of Pirates of the Caribbean.

"So what now, Jack Sparrow? Are we to be two immortals locked in an epic battle until Judgment Day and trumpets sound? Hmm?"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

She can cut off his head (which won't stop him from talking) and take it to have a chat with Metatron about the future of the universe

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

If Jagg says "yes, I'm alive", then he is no longer the dead man he is now, so it's a win. If he doesn't, he gets Cut, so it's also a win. The Double-Edged Maybe Sword.

This is an extremely elegant solution and I like it a lot.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Okay I'm making a note here because this is such a good theory if this happens I want you to be appropriately rewarded with praises

Youremother fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 8, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It'll be Allison and Jagganoth sharing a bottle of whiskey while they slowly freeze to death in the snow as Throne burns behind them.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Allison is too stupid to die. Jaggonath is already dead. Neither will be killed by the Maybe sword. Although its use may prompt Jaggs to talk again, like at the end of Pirates of the Caribbean.

"So what now, Jack Sparrow? Are we to be two immortals locked in an epic battle until Judgment Day and trumpets sound? Hmm?"

Death poetry rap battle until the end of time. Which somehow doesn't conflict with the whole 30+ years left to live thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

Death poetry rap battle until the end of time. Which somehow doesn't conflict with the whole 30+ years left to live thing.
Her recital must be be a terrible flow, which only grows as she passes it to others.