Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

You mean a bolt on? If so, you could just shim the neck. Even major manufacturers did it. Guys at Fender used to do it with pieces of strip club matchbooks. You'll sacrifice tone, but chances are you'll make enough fuckups on your first guitar that it won't really matter.

No I mean for the set neck, but I just found out today that Les Paul Specials are one of the few Gibson guitars that don't have the neck at that back-bent angle. But anyways, I think I will just try refinishing my Telecaster first to get into the groove of sanding and poo poo like that.

edit: god dammit! Does anyone know how I can get an aerosol spray can of nitrocellulose lacquer in that fender copper colour that they used on telecasters in the 50s? I can't get poo poo all in Canada from what I can see.

cylyk fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

But unless the bridge sits recessed within the body, the strings still have to travel the fraction of an inch down to the body, which is what I was talking about. It's not really invisible piezo wires.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. :raise:

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
I recently got a 002 Rack from an old friend for $400.

Redbaron
Nov 16, 2005

Curse you Red Baron!
Just picked this up a few months back. It's my first "mid-range" guitar as I'm still mostly an intermediate player but I am just in love with how it feels and sounds. Picked it up at guitar center during some kind of special for ~$600 bucks, free hardshell case included!

Schecter C1 Plus, Black Cherry finish.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
I graduated from engineering this past April and I've been working for a few months. Before, I had all the time in the world to play, and no money to buy gear. Now I have less time to play but I can afford toys! I doubt this situation is at all rare.

I was perusing eBay and found a guy in Hawaii selling 13 Electrix Warp Factories so I picked one up.

(someone else's picture)

They don't come with the IEC power cable, but I have plenty extra around the house. Also, you need to open it up and rotate the fuse housing to set it for 120VAC. I think I can handle that. These are getting harder and harder to find and since Electrix went under, there's not much hope for any more being made.

I will also be ordering a MOTU UltraLite-mk3 in the next few days to replace my Alesis MultiMix8 USB.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mr. DNA posted:

I graduated from engineering this past April and I've been working for a few months. Before, I had all the time in the world to play, and no money to buy gear. Now I have less time to play but I can afford toys! I doubt this situation is at all rare.

Check the last couple of pages here and you can see I'm in the exact same situation now :v:

Edit: By the way, what kind of music are you making that you're going to be using that for?

Stux fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 26, 2008

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

Stux posted:

Edit: By the way, what kind of music are you making that you're going to be using that for?

I really like how Shout Out Out Out Out uses their vocoder. I was hoping to do something similar. If not, I love just playing around with them. I have a microKorg but I've never been able to get a vocoder sound out of it that I'm happy with.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Managed to get rid of the Uber Metal which was an impulse purchase. The shop took it back for full credit and happened to have an Echo Park for an extra €26.

I'm in love with this thing. It's quiet, the modulation sounds wonderful and the different types of delay are interesting to use. The tap is great too. Tap the pedal lightly to tap delay. To switch on and off, step hard (you can feel it click)

Currently rocking out U2 with the tapped dotted eights setting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dawio
Jun 1, 2004

:D

I'll be controlling it from the Yamaha RM1X's sequencer, and getting a Korg padKontrol next month.

Howling Bells
May 10, 2007

Dear Pat Monaghan and that other guy,

We believe 'Hey Soul Sister' to be a ponderous and heartless money grab. You should be ashamed. It's not enough that you used the I-V-VI-IV chord progression, Beato, but you do it on a ukulele? It sounds like a Vonage commercial. Stop the Train!
So I just bought a Curbow bass for $150. I thought it was a pretty sweet deal. It sounds really great and it has great playability and it's really versatile. I also got an old Jackson for free from work. I think it's a JS-1. Pics for proof.

Click here for the full 1107x323 image.

Curbow Whole

Click here for the full 852x765 image.

Curbow Close

Click here for the full 437x1057 image.

Jackson Whole

So apparently, before I started working at my store we sold Jacksons. This one fell off a rack and was busted at the headstock, check the above photo. So it's been used for spare parts and such for about 5 or so years. After a year of begging the owner he gave it to me. So now my question to you goons is: would you be interested in me showing the whole process of fixing it up? I plan on rewiring, and possibly replacing the pickups. I will also fix the break properly. But I probably won't refinish it. So if you guys are interested I can post a bunch of photos and explanations of the process. And I'm more than happy to take suggestions as to what I should do to make this guitar righteous. I'm gonna sell it too... Maybe.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Zakalwe posted:

The shop took it back for full credit and happened to have an Echo Park for an extra €26.

That was a really lucky deal, nice.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days

Howling Bells posted:

So now my question to you goons is: would you be interested in me showing the whole process of fixing it up? I plan on rewiring, and possibly replacing the pickups. I will also fix the break properly. But I probably won't refinish it. So if you guys are interested I can post a bunch of photos and explanations of the process. And I'm more than happy to take suggestions as to what I should do to make this guitar righteous. I'm gonna sell it too... Maybe.

I always love reading stuff like that. Go for it!

TouchStone
Aug 18, 2008

How could I forget the laughing genius of Vienna?
Wellington upright, from about 1908-1910 or so, for a mere 50$ since the people just really wanted it moved out! Oh what a deal, it is even tuned and all the keys work!
(not my exact piano, but its pretty close to what it was)
https://wi.somethingawful.com/2e/2e66d18d8877c8ac6c0146923d016b0790cfaa1f.jpg

Aah what a beauty, but it seems fate had other plans.
https://wi.somethingawful.com/98/9828de817859dab77fe7d0fe8f86da7b47fd6ef0.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/10/1064c501e8da00b8db722e337ba5a8a9954be396.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/4c/4c1f1625f30c38d7a4e44acf44376264c0ace2fc.jpg
:smith:

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

TouchStone posted:

Wellington upright, from about 1908-1910 or so, for a mere 50$ since the people just really wanted it moved out! Oh what a deal, it is even tuned and all the keys work!
(not my exact piano, but its pretty close to what it was)
https://wi.somethingawful.com/2e/2e66d18d8877c8ac6c0146923d016b0790cfaa1f.jpg

Aah what a beauty, but it seems fate had other plans.
https://wi.somethingawful.com/98/9828de817859dab77fe7d0fe8f86da7b47fd6ef0.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/10/1064c501e8da00b8db722e337ba5a8a9954be396.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/4c/4c1f1625f30c38d7a4e44acf44376264c0ace2fc.jpg
:smith:

What happened to it?

TouchStone
Aug 18, 2008

How could I forget the laughing genius of Vienna?
I was out of town when I found the offer on craigslist, and the family wanted it moved that day or they were just going to trash it (hah).Called up a few friends that were nice enough to load it up and store it for me while I was out, which went very well until the rope snapped on a highway. It met a horrible fate unfit for any piano.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
That's a bummer. :smith:

Did it cause any commotion on the road? I can't imagine having a piano coming straight at me.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
Wow, drat. Looks like the strings are in tact so it's essentially a giant zither, could be fun to mess around with if you are experimental enough. Prepare it and use drum sticks, or something.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

xfrancox posted:

That's a bummer. :smith:

Did it cause any commotion on the road? I can't imagine having a piano coming straight at me.

There were no survivors.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Just a few more dulcimers I picked up for teaching classes and selling cheap to noobs. All of these were around $45-70 on eBay each, which is my usual range for buying basic student gear.

Dulcimers: fun, varied, and cheap.

Satchmo
Nov 3, 2005
!?

TouchStone posted:

I was out of town when I found the offer on craigslist, and the family wanted it moved that day or they were just going to trash it (hah).Called up a few friends that were nice enough to load it up and store it for me while I was out, which went very well until the rope snapped on a highway. It met a horrible fate unfit for any piano.

Be patient and keep an eye on craigslist. These things are such a hassle to get rid of that you could probably find another one easily for cheap or free.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Just a few more dulcimers I picked up for teaching classes and selling cheap to noobs. All of these were around $45-70 on eBay each, which is my usual range for buying basic student gear.

Dulcimers: fun, varied, and cheap.

Wow, I didn't know those were so cheap. There might be one of those in my near future. Any recommendations?

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Ok I will now post pictures of all my new acquisitions since a couple of months ago.

Roland JX-3P.

This has been really good so far. Editing is a bit of a pain since I don't have the PG-200, but it's not that bad. The sound of the strings are awesome. I already did some cool thing with this but I really need to dig deeper with this. Bonus points for the look. I'm not sure that the sequencer works correctly though. (Yeah my wall looks ugly).

Roland JX-8P

It's the JX-3P's big brother. No sequencer, but this is the one with the more classic 80's sound, mainly because of the big Roland chorus. Mostly the same controls as the JX-8P, but a more metallic sound. As for the last one, I don't have the PG-800 programmer. I've put it beneath the JX-3P for now, which is usually the spot for my main keyboard, the Roland Fantom X-7. However, I've stored it away for a while now, before I solve my space problems.

Moog Little Phatty Stage Edition

This was my first real analog. The sound is awesome and really PHAT. Seriously, no wonder why Moogs are the king of bass. This sound creamy and smooth from the start. Of course, I would have prefered a knob for each fonction, but this layout still works really well and makes a very compact analog beast. I recommend it. Some fonctions are in the menu like the noise oscillator and the legato off/on, so it loses some points for that, but it's a minor complaint. Pictured: I'm using the external input with my mic, and might try out other things soon or later.

Korg Polysix

Ok I went to a pawn shop and bought this. It's an analog synth from the beginning of the 80s. At first, I had problems with this because of a classic battery leakage problem. The guy who sold it to me told me he had replaced the battery, which he did. However I opened it up and I'm not sure he repaired the circuit tracks correctly. So now the memory doesn't work at all, and if you try to use the memory functions, the sound fucks up. However, it still works ok for the most part. I've learned my lesson I guess. Still, the sound of this machine is simply amazing. It's fat, gritty, very 8-bit. I could make chiptunes with that. And it's a 6 voice polysynth, so you can make weird pads. Also there is a unison function that takes the 6 voices to the same note with a bit of detune to make a mega-fat lead. The arpeggiator makes it even more fun. Old synths are great but do your research, ask questions and make sure you try everything before buying.

Bonus pic with more messed up bedroom artifacts:

More to come later!

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
Jeesh, how much did you spend? Yesterday I played around with a Roland V-Synth, so much better than any software I've used. Just a shame it's $3000 bucks.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Picking the bad boy up soon :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

IanTheM posted:

Jeesh, how much did you spend? Yesterday I played around with a Roland V-Synth, so much better than any software I've used. Just a shame it's $3000 bucks.

Well, the Moog was a good deal and low shipping costs. The JX-8P was under $200. I wouldn't have paid more than that and I didn't really expect to win the ebay auction. The Jx-3P and the Polysix, I think I've paid too much.

Right now, I'm pro-hardware. After being sold on soft synths for a while, I realized that hardware was much more spontaneous, fun and inspiring.

The V-Synth sounds really great.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Part 2 - The Toys

Yamaha Handysound HS-500

This has 5 different tones, a sustain switch and a volume button. It also have musical games where you press certain notes. The sounds are fun.

Professional glockenspiel (Vintage 90s TIGER model)

Best ever. $8.

Casio SK-1

This rocks. There is a 8-Bit 9kHz sampler on this, with an integrated mic so you can sample your dog on the fly!. There are also rhythms, enveloppes, portamento. It's that great! (I put it temporarily on the top of my DX7 only for this photo. No keyboard has been harmed in the making of this featurette. I'll show you the DX in another post)

Casio Rapman

This came along with the last one. It has many cheap tones, a crappy scratch pad with crappy beats. It's not as fun as the SK-1, but well...

Magnus Electric Chord Organ

Found at a pawn shop for 20 bucks, and it works perfectly. I don't know which model this is. It's a wind organ that you plug in to the wall and the fan starts to spin and notes start to play. Standard stuff.

Next up: More recent stuff.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Part 3

Yamaha DX-7

The classic synth (I've already talked about it this thread). The synth arrived in an almost destroyed package from UPS. UPS sucks. A corner was chipped. I was not happy. However the synth still works perfectly. I'm having much more fun programming sound with the Dx Manager though. Programming sounds with the buttons is (literally) a pain in the neck. How can someone look down at this for so long without saying "gently caress that poo poo", I don't know. I love it so far.
Pictured: an electronic drum that we're using for an upcoming project.

Korg MS2000r

For now it's not in a rack, but I've put it behind my laptop and my Moog is controlling it by MIDI. It's really great, the vocoder thing is fun. It's an amazingly polyvalent synth. Bonus points for compact size. I'm thinking of using this with my band, but I haven't played with it enough.

Novation Remote Zero SL

And now for controlling VSTs, Ableton and Nuendo, this marvelous thing arrived a week ago. Automap worked perfectly with Nuendo, which I use a lot these days. I will also use it with my band, replacing my M-Audio Axiom 25, which didn't have enough knobs and no sliders at all. So far it's great.

Also, not pictured, but my band setup is a Roland Fantom X-7, a M-Audio Axiom 25, my laptop with a Motu828 soundcard which sits right under the DX7. This is all stored in the corner of my bedroom, which is not that big. So right now it looks like this:

So yeah, my next acquisitions will be about keyboards stands and also probably a new desk. (The keybaord that's on the wall is a Yamaha PSR-27, which is the first keyboard I've ever had).

SteelWav fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 30, 2008

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I've got a question regarding keyboards. I see many of you have like 3+ keyboards. I get why you'd have 2, like for example a Moog for it's analog goodness and then a digital one that kicks rear end. But why more? From the viewpoint of a guitarist, I have two guitars because one I have tuned in E/drop D and the other in D/drop C, but I don't see the point for more (unless it's for backup but I have friends who lend me theirs as backups for high-paying gigs).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Steiler Drep posted:

I've got a question regarding keyboards. I see many of you have like 3+ keyboards. I get why you'd have 2, like for example a Moog for it's analog goodness and then a digital one that kicks rear end. But why more? From the viewpoint of a guitarist, I have two guitars because one I have tuned in E/drop D and the other in D/drop C, but I don't see the point for more (unless it's for backup but I have friends who lend me theirs as backups for high-paying gigs).

Just like different guitars, different synths sound different. With guitars, depending on the woods, pickups and design/construction different guitars have a different tone or sound to them. Same with synths, you might have two subtractives that sound utterly different from each other due to the circuit components, design etc.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Steiler Drep posted:

I've got a question regarding keyboards. I see many of you have like 3+ keyboards. I get why you'd have 2, like for example a Moog for it's analog goodness and then a digital one that kicks rear end. But why more?
There's digital ones that are virtual analog (can't really compare 'm to older analogs), there's digital ones that do FM (like the DX7), there's digital ones that do sample-based synthesis (Triton, Fantom, etc.)

Also, there's controller keyboards (which have no sounds but a lot of freely assignable knobs, which is not that easy with other synths) or keyboards you get because they feel completely different (digital pianos).

And yes, the sound is different. Character is determined by the filters, oscillators, and amplifiers. There's also of course overlap because of similar structure (for instance both the JX8P and JX3P in the picture have 2 oscillators, both can be set to saw, both filters can be set in such a way that you get a synth brass sound - and that's overlap. However, the JX8P sounds much smoother and the 3P much rougher in some spots.

Sometimes, it's just like Pokemon - gotta catch 'm all. We too know about the syndrome of GAS :shobon:

quote:

From the viewpoint of a guitarist
You guys have no right to speak, I regularly see setups with 10+ guitars. :colbert:

SteelWav posted:

Ok I will now post pictures of all my new acquisitions since a couple of months ago.

Yes. This is awesome. You've got 3 pieces overlapping with mine! :v:

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Steiler Drep posted:

I see many of you have like 3+ keyboards. I get why you'd have 2, like for example a Moog for it's analog goodness and then a digital one that kicks rear end. But why more?

All synthesisers are different. Different parts, different controls, different sounds... I mean look at the Korg Triton and the Roland Fantom. Both digital workstation synthesisers. Don't really sound alike.

GAS is really quite a problem with synths. You can get old school 80s ones on ebay for tiny prices. And you'll just pick it up. Because even if you use it once on a record it still had "that" sound. Can't say I've ever bought a guitar to use on one record.

But yeah, it's kind of a bitch when it comes to live use. I like to sample my favourite patches as best I can, and then just use Keystation MIDI controllers onto the samplers. Best solution.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days

Steiler Drep posted:

I gotta say your restraint is admirable.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
So I've been thinking about selling my Ibanez JEM which I never play and getting a new electric guitar that would excite me more about playing electric guitar. I've always dreamed of having a sweet Jag. And then the other day the deal of a lifetime dropped into my lap on this:

"Neat, Rashomon!" you say. "One of those Japanese HH Jaguars? How charming!" Oh yeah? Hmm, take a look at this...

Yep. A '62 Jaguar. The pickups are obviously not original (DP100 and a DP196, unfortunately not as cool as the original single coils). The bridge and machine heads are also not original. But this really was the deal of a lifetime, and I could not pass it up. I now have my dream guitar!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

If a JEM didn't excite you about playing then I'm afraid you may have deep set psychological issues.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
The JEM is fine, and cool, but I grew to really hate the floating tremolo, and it's a lot more METAL than anything I am into right now. (When I got it, my favorite band was Metallica. I was like 16.) It's still a beautiful loving guitar though.

It's also the lowest end JEM that they made, not one of the super high end ones. Just to put it in perspective.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Los Padre posted:

Wow, I didn't know those were so cheap. There might be one of those in my near future. Any recommendations?

If you really want a good one, but a recognized make/name. Best place to read reviews is https://www.everythingdulcimer.com forums. McSpadden is like the Toyota of dulcimers, not quite amazing but always very good, but even used those are like $200. PROTIP: McSpadden also made dulcimers and kits as "Dulcimer Shoppe" which are also great but often under $100.

Names to avoid: Apple Creek, First Act (cheap imports sold by big boxes).

If you can't find any info on a given maker, you pretty much have to eyeball it. I have a pretty good eye thus far, only gotten burned a few times. A couple times I've bought dulcimers missing the bridge, but you can rig one up out of a bit of dowel, or even the clip off a sharpie pen in many cases. High action is a common problem, but easily solved with files or a hacksaw blade.

When I need dulcimers, I just go to eBay and search under "dulcimer -hammer*" to get rid of the hammered dulcimers, and then I just eyeball them.

Here are a few good deals that will probably get low bids, seem decent overall, and have low shipping. Definitely check shipping carefully, as I've seen everything from $12 to $60 on dulcimers.

You see a lot of random unlabeled ones like these. It's $50 shipped opening, BiN for $60. If no goon wants it I might take a stab at it.

Another random independent at $40 shipped.

This very distinctive shape is a Hughes also known by a few other names. They're not terrible but not great, I'd pay max $45 shipped, and this one is still under that.

Standing SA offer: if anyone ever wants a cheap dulcimer, feel free to PM me with eBay listings and ask "is this an okay deal?". I've done that with three or four goons and it's worked out well.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 1, 2008

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

SteelWav posted:

I'll be selling six or seven Roland M16-C memory cartridges on eBay in the next little while if you're interested.

Rashomon posted:

How much was it?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 1, 2008

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Handen posted:

How much was it?

Extremely modified guitars, even if they're from the 60s, often drop heavily in value. I'm assuming it came with singlecoils?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Just purchased a few minutes ago.

I've had my eye on a TI for ages, and the Snow seems like a fair compromise between price and performance. I'm loving excited to get my hands on it....