Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

economic haircut posted:

Viper. Corvette. Tempo. I think you just destroyed whatever self respect your neighbor had left! Pretty slick stable though, I've always been a big fan of the Vipers since they came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Geoj posted:

:stare:

WTF? I can't imagine those things are stable at anything approaching highway speed even with their lovely 3 cylinder engines, let alone with anything under the hood with real power...
A smart car blew by me doing like 95 the other day. Can they actually hit 95? Maybe 90. Somewhere around there. It looked kind of hilarious weaving through traffic.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

economic haircut posted:

Yes they are. Not much for plans, probably just some nice suspension and wheels. Its already insanely flat in the corners though, and turns in like nothing I've ever driven before stock. Certainly doesn't need any more power.... yet.

Sounds kinda lame, but just a few minor aesthetic touches and drive the piss out of it.

Lots of owners switch to an aftermarket diff, due to the legendary Viper snap oversteer mostly caused by the factory Hydra-lok unit, but thats half the fun!. 472lb-ft at 1500 rpm is a dangerous thing in the mountains. (peak torque is 525lb-ft at 4200rpm)

Hey, what state do you live in? It almost looks like Alaska, and if you have a C6 and a viper in Alaska you are 100% more cool than everyone else.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Picked this up a couple months ago. 2011 Camaro SS.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

sw0cb posted:

Hey, what state do you live in? It almost looks like Alaska, and if you have a C6 and a viper in Alaska you are 100% more cool than everyone else.

Yeah all you motherfuckers get that oil pipeline money every year for some reason, right?

Out of curiosity, what year is that Viper? Those carry V12's, right?

blk96gt posted:

... 2011 Camaro SS.

So does that thing have those bumper-shifters everyone's been talking about?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

The Scientist posted:

Not that one, it's a 6 speed.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

MrSaturn posted:

Not that one, it's a 6 speed.

6 speed with a Hurst short throw.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

The Scientist posted:

Yeah all you motherfuckers get that oil pipeline money every year for some reason, right?

Out of curiosity, what year is that Viper? Those carry V12's, right?

The viper, being "SRT-10".. is a V10.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Couple pictures of my Silverado. Had it for about 9 months now. He's been a champ, already put 25k+ miles on it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

gvibes posted:

A smart car blew by me doing like 95 the other day. Can they actually hit 95? Maybe 90. Somewhere around there. It looked kind of hilarious weaving through traffic.

Regular smarts are limited to 85, the Brabus tuned variant does 95. I test drove a Brabus Smart ForFour when I was looking for a new car, it does 135. Very fun car, 177 HP

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008

sw0cb posted:

Close, Northern Canada actually. Am I still cool? :canada:

No Pipeline money for me The Scientist. Although my income is derived partly from those sweet sweet oil monies. I figure an 7mpg car is just security.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Viper. Corvette. Tempo. I think you just destroyed whatever self respect your neighbor had left! Pretty slick stable though, I've always been a big fan of the Vipers since they came out.

That Tempo was hilariously mint. Literally showroom condition. Its amazing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

economic haircut posted:

Close, Northern Canada actually. Am I still cool? :canada:

No Pipeline money for me The Scientist. Although my income is derived partly from those sweet sweet oil monies. I figure an 7mpg car is just security.

That Tempo was hilariously mint. Literally showroom condition. Its amazing.

Please tell me its an AWD one, that would be most amazing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Billy Tully posted:

Please tell me its an AWD one, that would be most amazing.

No, the most amazing would be if it was an 8-cylinder T-drive prototype.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Just read up on that...it leaves me wondering where Ford dug up an inline 8 in the early 90s. Unless they put two I4s side by side and built a big valve cover that spanned both heads...

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Had a fun rally up to Julian, CA the other weekend:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Geoj posted:

^
Just read up on that...it leaves me wondering where Ford dug up an inline 8 in the early 90s. Unless they put two I4s side by side and built a big valve cover that spanned both heads...

What the hell is that thing?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Das Volk posted:

What the hell is that thing?

KozmoNaut posted:

[Tempo] 8-cylinder T-drive prototype.

In the early 90s Ford attempted to drive the transmission from the middle of the engine instead of the end (hence "T-Drive.") The idea was to make larger displacement/cylinder engines fit if the engine and transmission could be stacked on top of each other, as well as give Ford a unique technology similar to Subaru's Boxer engine/AWD combo.

Needless to say, it failed. More here.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

eeenmachine posted:

Had a fun rally up to Julian, CA the other weekend:

Small world, I was just up there 2 weeks ago. We should go for a run sometime.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Comrade Flynn posted:

You can appreciate how hard it is to avoid potholes on these lovely San Diego streets are then. I've hit so many that I already need an alignment.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

eeenmachine posted:

You can appreciate how hard it is to avoid potholes on these lovely San Diego streets are then. I've hit so many that I already need an alignment.

I couldn't even drive down Mira Mesa Blvd. in my Lotus.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Comrade Flynn posted:

Try it with 600 lbs of batteries in your trunk.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

Ever go downtown? Its embarrassing really.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

Their power bill must have been outrageous

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Ever go downtown? Its embarrassing really.

Point Loma is the worst. There are just...chunks missing from some roads. A friend got his Diablo stuck there once.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

CommieGIR posted:

Their power bill must have been outrageous
The cost of the drive was much cheaper than our lunch! We didn't have stop to charge anywhere, only for bathroom stops.

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Z's look so much more awesome with those lower lip kits. Are you planning on painting it to match? A guy I met through work has a sick one with a lower lip-kit and a re-vamped interior. He showed me photos of it and now I want one more than ever.

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

I kinda like how the black offsets the yellow so I'll probably leave it unpainted.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

Point Loma is the worst. There are just...chunks missing from some roads. A friend got his Diablo stuck there once.

This is another reason why I like the German road system better. You can actually petition the government for the cost of repair if a neglected road damages your vehicle.. and that includes damage caused by debris left on the motorway. I guarantee you giving the government the choice between repairing a road and repairing a car.. it's almost universally cheaper to just fix the drat road.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
To be fair though, don't they use a more permanent form of pavement in western Europe because they're not concerned about keeping a sizeable percentage of the population employed endlessly repaving roads?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I dont know about that, seems to me that there are a lot of states that would love to save 10's of millions a year on road repairs. If more durable road surfaces were cost efficient, I think they would be in use.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mutt2jeff posted:

I dont know about that, seems to me that there are a lot of states that would love to save 10's of millions a year on road repairs. If more durable road surfaces were cost efficient, I think they would be in use.

Often short term savings are given priority over long term cost effectiveness.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
This.

A governor or mayor looking only a few years ahead to the next election is going to be more likely to go with the typical run of the mill resurface and repave so s/he can say "I repaved [major artery] and saved the taxpayer money" instead of "I repaved [major artery] and spent a ton of money but we won't have to worry about repaving it for 10 years..."

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr.Peabody posted:

This is another reason why I like the German road system better. You can actually petition the government for the cost of repair if a neglected road damages your vehicle.. and that includes damage caused by debris left on the motorway. I guarantee you giving the government the choice between repairing a road and repairing a car.. it's almost universally cheaper to just fix the drat road.

you can do this in the u.s. usually

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Geoj posted:

^
To be fair though, don't they use a more permanent form of pavement in western Europe because they're not concerned about keeping a sizeable percentage of the population employed endlessly repaving roads?

This is absolutely the case here in Illinois. The unions immediately go crazy at the mention of a cement road. The town where I lived in Texas had all cement roads which was amazing, you could always tell when you left town by the poverty roads.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

coinstarpatrick posted:

This is absolutely the case here in Illinois. The unions immediately go crazy at the mention of a cement road. The town where I lived in Texas had all cement roads which was amazing, you could always tell when you left town by the poverty roads.

I sure am glad the unions are still around, they serve such a noble purpose these days

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Geoj posted:

^

I don't know if asphalt is more durable than cement, but except for remote locations in Eastern Europe It's all they use over here.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Registered Loser posted:

is that an ac cobra?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

is that an ac cobra?
:rolleyes: Pretty sure it's an old Corvette. I don't know the lights are a little different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

We have some concrete motorways in the uk, and they are pretty horrible compared to tarmac. Much noisier and the joins thunking drive you mad.