Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I got my Windows 7 Party Pack today, it says that Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition is good for one installation only, does this pretty much mean it's an OEM copy, and you can reinstall it as many times as you want as long as it's to the same hardware profile? Or do they strictly mean a single activation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Joe Don Baker posted:

You might want to hit the right button to bring up the boot device selection screen, and actually select the flash drive.

The USB/SD boot was actually first in the system but I'll doublecheck

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

NYIslander posted:

The USB/SD boot was actually first in the system but I'll doublecheck

I had the same thing happen to me with a Windows 7 install, I had to hit F12 or whatever it is and tell it to boot the flash drive.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Mug posted:

I got my Windows 7 Party Pack today, it says that Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition is good for one installation only, does this pretty much mean it's an OEM copy, and you can reinstall it as many times as you want as long as it's to the same hardware profile? Or do they strictly mean a single activation?

It's supposed to be a retail license.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

illicitporpoises posted:

It's supposed to be a retail license.

Where can I read more about the install limits of different 7 versions? I'm pretty familiar with what the different XP versions would let you do, from Retail to OEM, does 7 basically follow the same trends?

I think they might have written the whole "one installation only" thing because it comes with 2 DVDs, 64bit and 32bit, so some people might have thought they were allowed to run 2 copies at once.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I was about to post an asinine question, when I suddenly remembered there was this magical :google: thing invented recently. I'll post the answer anyway to maybe save someone else some embarrassment.

In Vista, you could hide the sidebar + gadgets with the sidebar system-tray app. I couldn't find any equivalent in Win7. I need this because they're in the way when I remote in, but they're a pain to close and open again because they don't save their settings.

It's simply under "view" on the desktop context menu:

Whee. Whatever will they think of next??

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF
If I have the RTM installed as Ultimate, but my MSDNAA gives me a Professional key, is 'downgrading' to professional as simple as running the setup again and selecting to install Professional over my current install? Is it going to re-install and leave me with a weird quirky profile or just flip a bit somewhere?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Joe Don Baker posted:

I had the same thing happen to me with a Windows 7 install, I had to hit F12 or whatever it is and tell it to boot the flash drive.
I'll give that a shot, Hopefully it works.

e: Nope but it did tell me that the hard drive was being recognized before the flash drive for non-boot situation. Stll refused to work

Should I just buy a external DVD-ROM drive or convert the iso to a .img?

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 7, 2009

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Yaos posted:

Within seconds I found the dumbest thread ever.
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/27179-would-you-trust-isp.html
He is blaming his ISP because his anti-virus software had a false positive and the ISP won't support a pre-release OS, it gets worse as the thread goes on. Maybe we can have a Tech Weekend Web on this fourm

That's actually what surprised me the most. I thought it was well understood that Windows 7 is not live for the public yet, therefore not officially supported by many companies. Even Microsoft says "This is a release candidate (beta, whatever), you're on your own if something goes wrong". I know the RTM is out, but some of those posts are from the beta days, and the goddamn entitlement is amazing. People are openly admitting to pirating 7 on that site, yet still demanding support when something fails.

But props to Microsoft for a smooth OS. It runs great on an ancient Toshiba laptop with 512 mb of RAM and a sub 2GHz Celeron processor, something I didn't expect. Hell, I might break out my 266 MHz Toshiba Tecra with 256(!)Mb of RAM and see how things go.

E: I found some dude running 7 on this-
Dell GX1:

P-III 600MHz
768MB ECC RAM
40GB HD
ATI Rage Pro Graphics (AGP x2)

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 7, 2009

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
So uh... they're selling Windows 7 at my campus store now and I picked up a copy. Do any other university students have it yet? I was running the RC and it would hvae let me upgrade but I just did a clean install to avoid any random issues. Activated fine and all. I checked the last few pages of the thread but I'm just seeing people talking about the MSDN version or still running the RC.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

The Gasmask posted:

E: I found some dude running 7 on this-
Dell GX1:

P-III 600MHz
768MB ECC RAM
40GB HD
ATI Rage Pro Graphics (AGP x2)

P-II 266MHz
96MB RAM (the one in the article is 128, but he tried it later with 96 and it worked)
and some 4MB graphics card.

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters
I just upgraded from Windows XP to 7 Pro and kept all my files! It was so much fun... you have to install Vista Business, then Vista SP1, then 7 Pro. Total time: 8 hours! Wow Microsoft, the business community is going to love doing that, especially since you can't do this unattended.

One of the cool new features is that taskbar popup preview... is there any way to make them keep the small preview window up while I continue working in another window?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Italy's Chicken posted:

I just upgraded from Windows XP to 7 Pro and kept all my files! It was so much fun... you have to install Vista Business, then Vista SP1, then 7 Pro. Total time: 8 hours! Wow Microsoft, the business community is going to love doing that, especially since you can't do this unattended.

The business community doesn't do upgrade installs, they don't buy upgrade licenses. They do clean installs, usually from a single company standard image.

You had no reason to do XP-Vista-7, You'd do much better if you used your 7 upgrade disk to do a clean install that preserved your files.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Italy's Chicken posted:

One of the cool new features is that taskbar popup preview... is there any way to make them keep the small preview window up while I continue working in another window?

c0burn linked this around here awhile back and I still use it constantly for exactly what you want.
http://ontopreplica.codeplex.com/

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

teethgrinder posted:

In Vista, you could hide the sidebar + gadgets with the sidebar system-tray app. I couldn't find any equivalent in Win7. I need this because they're in the way when I remote in, but they're a pain to close and open again because they don't save their settings.

Also Win + Space on Vista will bring the sidebar gadgets to the top of any windows you have open.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Has anyone seen the cracked.com review of a pirated copy of Windows 7? http://www.cracked.com/blog/using-windows-7-may-lead-to-murder/

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

krushgroove posted:

Has anyone seen the cracked.com review of a pirated copy of Windows 7? http://www.cracked.com/blog/using-windows-7-may-lead-to-murder/

Wow, Avira did not like that page one bit.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Kameleon posted:

Wow, Avira did not like that page one bit.

Yeah my work's SonicWall firewall hates it too but it allows me to go to the article index page: http://www.cracked.com/funny-articles.html

I was on it last night at home and AVG didn't freak out or anything. Anyway, it's a funny article.

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007

Dogen posted:

So uh... they're selling Windows 7 at my campus store now and I picked up a copy. Do any other university students have it yet? I was running the RC and it would hvae let me upgrade but I just did a clean install to avoid any random issues. Activated fine and all. I checked the last few pages of the thread but I'm just seeing people talking about the MSDN version or still running the RC.

Most people talking about the MSDN version are talking about the full RTM. It's been available on MSDN for a while.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Also Win + Space on Vista will bring the sidebar gadgets to the top of any windows you have open.

I like Win + G a little better for bringing gadgets to the front.

Skillo
Aug 3, 2003
Jesus is coming! Quick, everyone look busy!
OK, so if anyone else is having problemas with Realtek HD audio and crackling noise, here's how I solved it.

Install an older version of the drivers. Realtek's site offers 2.24 or something, I managed to make my sound better with 2.21. No more weird noises, everything sounds perfect.

Download link to 2.21

http://194.71.11.69/pub/games/PC/guru3d/generic/Realtek_R221-%5BGuru3D.com%5D.exe

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Znorps! posted:

I'm doing the whole student thing for $30. How long does it normally take for a response email to be sent after the website tells you your email is approved?

Don't know if you got this yet or not, but mine came instantly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Shadowgate posted:

I like Win + G a little better for bringing gadgets to the front.

That leaves them up front though. It's nice to just hit Win + Space and see my system resources and release to get back to what I was doing.

Mattism
May 22, 2007

I've been reading quite a few of these posts and I've reached a conclusion that I'm not sure is accurate, but I'm hoping someone can either reaffirm what I'm thinking or tell me why I'm totally wrong.

On my MSDNAA I can get Windows 7 Professional like everyone else. I can get one 64 bit download and one 32 bit download. My problem is, I have absolutely no need for the 32 bit versions of the software. I'm fully aware I could use them, but why would I want to?

Anyway, to the point. Can I install a 64 bit version of the OS on a computer and use one of the 32 bit keys? From what I've gathered the keys are restrictive of the type (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate) but not the version (32 or 64 bit). Whether or not this is true is what I need answered.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mattism posted:

Anyway, to the point. Can I install a 64 bit version of the OS on a computer and use one of the 32 bit keys?

Yes. The keys are not restricted to 32 bit or 64 bit.

Mattism
May 22, 2007

Cryptic Edge posted:

Yes. The keys are not restricted to 32 bit or 64 bit.
Thank you.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

My student discounted copy of Win 7 Home Premium is on it's way now and I was wondering about the XP "upgrade install". I understand from reading the OP that it puts your old files in a "windows.old" folder and then effectively wipes everything else and installs Home Premium. What exactly does it keep in the windows.old folder? Just the folders I tell it to? Just the My Documents folder? It surely can't keep everything?

Edit: Does this install mean I wont have to copy everything I want to keep onto an external HD first?

Edit2: I've googled a bit more and have found that the Vista equivalent of this process would grab all the files from Program Files, Documents and Settings and the Windows folder. Does the Windows 7 process backup the same folders?

Gunder fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 7, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Pyr0 posted:

My student discounted copy of Win 7 Home Premium is on it's way now and I was wondering about the XP "upgrade install". I understand from reading the OP that it puts your old files in a "windows.old" folder and then effectively wipes everything else and installs Home Premium. What exactly does it keep in the windows.old folder? Just the folders I tell it to? Just the My Documents folder? It surely can't keep everything?

Edit: Does this install mean I wont have to copy everything I want to keep onto an external HD first?

It erases nothing. All of the files that would be replaced are moved to Windows.OLD, and the new stuff is put into place. You'll need enough free space for the Windows install on your disk.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I bought a $50 7 Home Premium upgrade on Amazon. It will arrive on the 22nd of October. Is there any way I can install 7 now and activate it when my disc and key arrive?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jam2 posted:

I bought a $50 7 Home Premium upgrade on Amazon. It will arrive on the 22nd of October. Is there any way I can install 7 now and activate it when my disc and key arrive?

We're not sure about upgrades is the only problem with that - entirely possible with retail releases, but we don't know if upgrade installs keep track of what it was installed on top of for later key input, or if upgrades use the same disc or what. It's entirely possible it keeps this stored somewhere. It's also entirely possible it doesn't, and you'll be SOL. At this point, it's just over 2 weeks, so you might as well stick it out to be sure, I'd say.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

krushgroove posted:

Classic. Honestly I had forgotten how much of a leap forward windows 95 was from windows 3.x..

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Pyr0 posted:

Edit2: I've googled a bit more and have found that the Vista equivalent of this process would grab all the files from Program Files, Documents and Settings and the Windows folder. Does the Windows 7 process backup the same folders?

What I've found is this:
All system files get swept into Windows.OLD, the entire contents of C:\Windows, anything in Program Files or Documents and Settings that comes with Windows, all of that.
Everything else stays where it was. For example if you had Steam installed with a bunch of games downloaded, all you have to do to get up and running again is tell Steam to reinstall, and blammo, all your games and poo poo are right there. User files in Documents and Settings get moved to Users since now Documents and Settings is just a symlink to Users and not an actual folder.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Will the upgrade edition have discs for both 32-bit and 64-bit?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

BaronVanAwesome posted:

If your processor can run x64, there's almost no reason not to.
Went the x64 route, had everything going swimmingly, then I tried to use a wireless broadband dongle...

Many hours later, on x86 now.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Dominoes posted:

Will the upgrade edition have discs for both 32-bit and 64-bit?

Probably not, with Vista it seemed the only way you got both kinds of discs was by getting a copy of Ultimate. If you get your Upgrade shipped and it turns out the disc doesn't have the architecture you want (x86 versus x64), you can just torrent an ISO of a disc for the full version of the Upgrade you have or maybe an ISO of the Upgrade disc you need. Kinda grey area yeah but Microsoft doesn't seem to mind as long as you've bought a legit key from them.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
As I stated earlier in the thread, I bought a $50 copy of 7 Home Premium on Amazon.

I am also eligible for a $30 student deal. Are the student orders shipping out already?

I haven't been charged by Amazon yet. I have a few more weeks to cancel it.

Would it make sense to buy a student license and cancel my Amazon order?

edit: I canceled the Amazon order and purchased a $30 copy of 7 Professional through Digital River.

Jam2 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 7, 2009

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thermopyle posted:

I wrote this hot-key audio device switcher because the multiple clicks to switch audio devices irritated me.

Unfortunately, something changed between the RC and RTM which broke it. I'm working on a rewrite/fix now. I hope to have it done by sometime next week.

teethgrinder posted:

Awesome. I'll keep an eye on that blog.

NIGARS posted:

Oh man I can't wait for you to update this. This will be so incredibly helpful.

Ok, I've posted an updated version. Let me know if it's working for you. Probably be better to comment on the blog instead of here so we don't go too off-topic here.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
I'm getting a new computer pretty soon, and it's eligible for a free 7 upgrade. The way Dell is doing it means that they're sending a DVD with 7 when it comes out. The thing is, this is a customized system that won't ship until a couple weeks after 7 gets released. So do you think 7 will be preinstalled, or will I have to go through the upgrade process?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Went the x64 route, had everything going swimmingly, then I tried to use a wireless broadband dongle...

Many hours later, on x86 now.

Really? I haven't had any issues finding drivers for stuff, as most of the time you can just use old Vista stuff. Obviously if you have some bizarre hardware it might be a pain, but even my weird stuff like midi keyboard controllers are working fine in x64

edit: or we coulda helped find that wireless dongle driver for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Ok, I got Win7 to continue installing, up to when it restarted. I guess it was something with my harddrive (I installed to a different drive it worked fine).

Now it comes up and says Windows can't install on my computer's hardware and to restart. :(

EDIT: WOOT! A reinstall took care of it and we are GOOD!

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 8, 2009