Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So I did a thing. I bought myself a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced. Is there anything that I should do before I take this thing out and crash fly it besides watching the DJI videos and updating the firmware? It didn't seem to want to pair with the DJI GO app so I figured I probably have an older firmware I need to upgrade and then it should connect. Didn't have much time last night to mess around with it. I have a Syma X8C Venture and a V911 copter so this isn't my first RC vehicle.

P.S. If you are a middle aged obese man who likes to sunbathe naked and you live near Chicago please PM me your address TIA :heysexy:

Rallos fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rallos posted:

So I did a thing. I bought myself a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced. Is there anything that I should do before I take this thing out and crash fly it besides watching the DJI videos and updating the firmware? It didn't seem to want to pair with the DJI GO app so I figured I probably have an older firmware I need to upgrade and then it should connect. Didn't have much time last night to mess around with it. I have a Syma X8C Venture and a V911 copter so this isn't my first RC vehicle.

P.S. If you are a middle aged obese man who likes to sunbathe naked and you live near Chicago please PM me your address TIA :heysexy:

You probably should watch a tutorial video about GPS lock a few dozen times.

How do those things even perform? If you wanted to, could you fly a DJI Vision like an acro quad?

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

You probably should watch a tutorial video about GPS lock a few dozen times.

How do those things even perform? If you wanted to, could you fly a DJI Vision like an acro quad?

Will do. I don't think so. It's primarily a camera platform for filming so I don't think it can do flips and stuff.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
With deep enough pockets, I'm sure you could. "Should you?" is a much better question.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I thought there was still angle limits even in manual mode

I successfully flipped one in aerofly rc 7 though

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Just want to check before I plan things in error, this is the right module to get the Taranis speaking to DSMX stuff right? Planning out an upgrade path wanting everything on one transmitter if possible but some of the comments on things left me unsure if I was reading what's what right.

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__61212__OrangeRX_DSMX_DSM2_Devo_2_4GHz_Selectable_Transmitter_Module_JR_Turnigy_Compatible_.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That looks right, but I heard that the LemonRX stuff is better regarded than the OrangeRX modules for some reason.

I was going to go with the LemonRX and DSMX but I ended up going with FrSky just because I want to try doodling around with the telemetry with my Arduino.

I don't think FrSky has anything like the satellite receivers though, that's a bit of a shame. Having a tiny, cheap satellite receiver hooked to my cc3d would have been neat.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 21, 2015

nerox
May 20, 2001

Brinty posted:

Just want to check before I plan things in error, this is the right module to get the Taranis speaking to DSMX stuff right? Planning out an upgrade path wanting everything on one transmitter if possible but some of the comments on things left me unsure if I was reading what's what right.

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__61212__OrangeRX_DSMX_DSM2_Devo_2_4GHz_Selectable_Transmitter_Module_JR_Turnigy_Compatible_.html

The only issue with that module is that you have to set jumpers to change between the different standards/power outputs.

You can build a module of your own that will allow you to do everything through the taranis menu, without any switches or buttons on the back, and actually gives you model match and the other bonuses of a real spektrum transmitter, but its a little more expensive if you have to source everything yourself.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?13829-Want-true-DSMX-in-your-Taranis

There is a guy that sells the assembled PCB board on rcgroups for $25 and you can buy the case for $9 or so from horizon. Finding an old Spektrum Dx4E or DX5E seems to cost up to $50.00, luckily a buddy in my ama club is giving me one to do this with.

Remember you only get 6 channels for spektrum regardless of which option you do, I only want it for BnF spektrum stuff myself.

Martytoof posted:

That looks right, but I heard that the LemonRX stuff is better regarded than the OrangeRX modules for some reason.

I was going to go with the LemonRX and DSMX but I ended up going with FrSky just because I want to try doodling around with the telemetry with my Arduino.

I don't think FrSky has anything like the satellite receivers though, that's a bit of a shame. Having a tiny, cheap satellite receiver hooked to my cc3d would have been neat.

I've heard that too, but lemon doesn't make transmitters, only receivers that I can tell.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Rallos posted:

I'm going flying quads saturday. I'm in Melrose Park. I don't know where I'll be flying yet.

There's a whole lot of interesting places to get footage from. Aerial video of metra trains doing their thing could be neat.

Username at gmail.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Nerobro posted:

I'm going flying quads saturday. I'm in Melrose Park. I don't know where I'll be flying yet.

There's a whole lot of interesting places to get footage from. Aerial video of metra trains doing their thing could be neat.

Username at gmail.

I live in Schererville (NWI). I figured I would start out at the park to get the hang of it. Have you ever been downtown with your quads? Thinking I might be able to get some cool shots over millenium park but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Theres' an overpass that freight trains use all the time right near my house, that could be good to get some footage of.

-e- I am the same: username at gmail

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rallos posted:

I live in Schererville (NWI). I figured I would start out at the park to get the hang of it. Have you ever been downtown with your quads? Thinking I might be able to get some cool shots over millenium park but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Theres' an overpass that freight trains use all the time right near my house, that could be good to get some footage of.

-e- I am the same: username at gmail

I would avoid any multi-rotoring in densely populated areas. Millennium park is a good way to attract unwanted attention. I was planning on going to the calumet yacht club, and flying around the 1833 state border obelisk.

Flying around the overpass might be ok. Just be careful of peoples houses and such. Being in northwest indiana, youv'e got a lot of abandoned factories and such that would make for some great aerial footage. There's a Gary union station IIRC.. and the resting ponds alongside the tollway. I'm sure you'd get a lot of birds and other things taking off.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Nerobro posted:

I would avoid any multi-rotoring in densely populated areas. Millennium park is a good way to attract unwanted attention. I was planning on going to the calumet yacht club, and flying around the 1833 state border obelisk.

Flying around the overpass might be ok. Just be careful of peoples houses and such. Being in northwest indiana, youv'e got a lot of abandoned factories and such that would make for some great aerial footage. There's a Gary union station IIRC.. and the resting ponds alongside the tollway. I'm sure you'd get a lot of birds and other things taking off.

I didn't even think about that. Could be really neat. Will have to be mindful of the Gary Airport though. They just expanded the runway there so there is more air traffic now than ever before.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Some of the shut down steel plants might provide some interesting places to fly too. I suppose you have homework now. I'd love to see footage.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Nerobro posted:

Some of the shut down steel plants might provide some interesting places to fly too. I suppose you have homework now. I'd love to see footage.

Not sure how quickly I'll be able to get out to some of these places. Kinda crazy schedule lately. Will definitely post footage when I get it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

nerox posted:

I've heard that too, but lemon doesn't make transmitters, only receivers that I can tell.

Oh jesus sorry I completely spaced on the fact that you were looking for a Tx even though you said it right there. Long day at work :q:

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Went out and flew the P3A today for the first time. Definitely got some attention at the local park (all good). The kids all wanted to take photos with it.

https://youtu.be/oiHC1jrMXVs

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Nice! My P3P finally gets back from repair on Monday, I'm excited to get to fly/take pictures again.

(total elapsed time from me shipping it to me receiving it back: 82 days)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm building another 250 mini soon, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to mess with 433 again for rc control. I have a few dtf uhf receivers and at least one antenna designed for mini quads (Coil Loaded Dipole from ibcrazy) but I'm just not really excited about the receiver options in general, when I could get an x4r-sb and have a diversity and low latency receiver for under $30 (and have an easier time mounting those antennae in a good position).

If I went for 433 (or dropped a lot on the tbs crossfire stuff that has a micro receiver coming out Real Soon, I could use a 2.4 fpv system and get better penetration in the wooded areas around where I live. Or I could spend that money on a better ground station for 5.8

Rallos posted:

Went out and flew the P3A today for the first time. Definitely got some attention at the local park (all good). The kids all wanted to take photos with it.

https://youtu.be/oiHC1jrMXVs

Please work on those yaws (actually someone is working on a circuit for p3 controllers to enable smoother yaws and camera tilts)

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I'm building another 250 mini soon, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to mess with 433 again for rc control. I have a few dtf uhf receivers and at least one antenna designed for mini quads (Coil Loaded Dipole from ibcrazy) but I'm just not really excited about the receiver options in general, when I could get an x4r-sb and have a diversity and low latency receiver for under $30 (and have an easier time mounting those antennae in a good position).

If I went for 433 (or dropped a lot on the tbs crossfire stuff that has a micro receiver coming out Real Soon, I could use a 2.4 fpv system and get better penetration in the wooded areas around where I live. Or I could spend that money on a better ground station for 5.8

Please work on those yaws (actually someone is working on a circuit for p3 controllers to enable smoother yaws and camera tilts)

I'm not keen on UHF for mini quads due to the latency that's involved. I'd definitely always go 2.4ghz (The X4R-SB is an excellent RX) RC and 5.8ghz video; it's amazing the penetration you can get with a good 600mW VTX and a helical/circular polarised patch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know everyone says to solder directly to your ESCs, but I like the idea of being able to swap my ESCs and things, especially since I'm building my beginner set of 250s and not really sure about my choice of parts.

I'm thinking about ordering a 50pk of bullet connectors (pairs) off eBay for like $5 or some ridiculous price. Are there any rules about size/gauge vs current like there are with wires? I know the standard is 3.5mm but I'd like to stay smaller at 2mm. Anyone foresee any issues?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I know everyone says to solder directly to your ESCs, *snip*. Anyone foresee any issues?

Reduced flight time from higher resistance. Reduced flight time from additional weight. Yanked bullet connectors in case of a crash. Needing to do at least twice as many solder joints. Ten times as many pieces of heatshrink. Twice as many places to have bad solder joints. Bullet connectors also don't let you examine the solder joint well.

The reality is, if your ESC needs replacement, you are already going to be replacing props and other parts, and should be doing a lengthy bench examination.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does the additional length and the connectors even induce that much more resistance?

Also, the output of PID controllers, are these direct control values or is there additional processing in-between (by that I mean math magic, not stacking PIDs)? Reading up on PIDs, I'd say it's former, that's either summed up with throttle or its output acts as a multiplicator on it.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
The additional length is pretty insignificant until you are removing 50+ft of extra wires, but multitudes of connection points can cause a real effect. All those connection points have resistance which drops the voltage at the motor and burns up battery power as heat. Each bullet connection has 3 junctions. For a quad that's 24 junctions if you're just doing the power wires, or 60 if you're doing power and motor wires. I think the impact would be pretty small if you just did the power wires but doing motor and power wires would be noticeable both in battery life and max thrust at 100% throttle.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, I've wanted to clean up my build anyway, so I suppose I should finally bother soldering everything.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Any tips? This was literally my first flight with this drone. I haven't done aerial videography before so I would like to improve.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good points, though I'll admit that I'm going to be stubborn and throw bullets on my first 250 for the motors and ESCs. I do appreciate the feedback though and I'll factor it into my next build once I'm more comfortable with the process.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's relatively trivial to solder/desolder ESC's...might as well get used to it :D

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I just dusted off my helimax 1SQ, sticky taped a micro cam with an integral 5.8 transmitter on the bottom, and picked up a matching receiver. I finally have FPV! Just need to find a useable display so I can play with it until my goggles get here and a bigger battery. I tested the run time last night with my TV and it looks like the camera starts to crap out after 3-4 minutes, tops :( 250mah battery isn't cutting it. Hoping I can find a 350-400 mah battery that'll extend it by a few minutes at least. Are there any good resources for FPV flying tips? At least indoors, I had trouble flying FPV only, I just kept running into things.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rallos posted:

Any tips? This was literally my first flight with this drone. I haven't done aerial videography before so I would like to improve.

Practice, and theres a lot of options on rc control now in the settings. maybe you can set an expo on the yaw to make it less sensitive around the middle (also you can cheat and just never show the beginning and ending of yaw movement when you cut up your vid)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you need a laugh today watch thus guy build a quad using one of those 3d printer pens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMuOdisewAc

humans........

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

If you need a laugh today watch thus guy build a quad using one of those 3d printer pens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMuOdisewAc

humans........

You know, I actually thought that was really really cool.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Practice, and theres a lot of options on rc control now in the settings. maybe you can set an expo on the yaw to make it less sensitive around the middle (also you can cheat and just never show the beginning and ending of yaw movement when you cut up your vid)

Thanks for the tips! Will explore the settings more. I am in need of some software for editing my clips. I've heard that gopro studio works well for basic editing features and is free. Anyone here use it for basic clipping and editing?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Could someone recommend a platform agnostic pdb that support 4s, a stepdown, filtering and possibly routes esc signal routing as well? I was thinking about the atas mini pro which does all of that but esc routing. The only 36x36 pdb I've seen that does esc signal routing was the kiss pdb (and I've have to assemble that myself). Also kinda worried about the 2oz copper on the atas vs 4oz on others.

Rallos posted:

Thanks for the tips! Will explore the settings more. I am in need of some software for editing my clips. I've heard that gopro studio works well for basic editing features and is free. Anyone here use it for basic clipping and editing?

I've only used it with gopro footage, but it works well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I have my very own drone crash video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYcJ7O_KOs

I had set the return-to-home altitude to 60 meters a few days before, which would have been more than sufficient to clear that huge rock, but I then updated the firmware that morning to the latest version and it reset all the settings, resulting in this crash. It's a very major bug in the firmware update process in my opinion! We searched around the rock for ~3 hours. Fortunately, we located the blinking red low-battery lights after it got dark (the thing was on, and still recording!), and were able to climb up there and recover it from that nook inside the rock. Only the propellers broke. Everything else was intact.

I had actually given the drone as a birthday gift to my sister, and she was the one flying it. Lack of experience caused her to lose RC contact, and she was devastated when the drone didn't return home haha. I'm glad we were able to recover it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I have my very own drone crash video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYcJ7O_KOs

I had set the return-to-home altitude to 60 meters a few days before, which would have been more than sufficient to clear that huge rock, but I then updated the firmware that morning to the latest version and it reset all the settings, resulting in this crash. It's a very major bug in the firmware update process in my opinion! We searched around the rock for ~3 hours. Fortunately, we located the blinking red low-battery lights after it got dark (the thing was on, and still recording!), and were able to climb up there and recover it from that nook inside the rock. Only the propellers broke. Everything else was intact.

I had actually given the drone as a birthday gift to my sister, and she was the one flying it. Lack of experience caused her to lose RC contact, and she was devastated when the drone didn't return home haha. I'm glad we were able to recover it.

Where's this? Looks like Cappadocia.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Where's this? Looks like Cappadocia.

Yep!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If there was a place designed for camera/fpv drones, that would be it :). Went there on vacation some 8 years ago and it was awesome.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

If there was a place designed for camera/fpv drones, that would be it :). Went there on vacation some 8 years ago and it was awesome.

Oh man, definitely. Captured some pretty cool footage over the past few days, and I kept imagining what it would be like to fly FPV among the faerie chimneys. I visit every year (born and raised) so maybe next year! :)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aww poo poo this guy just did his first flip. All it takes is trying that first one and now I can do it successfully every time.

Except for that last one but I blame voltage sag

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Let's look at some GIFs

The hand waving is from a super excited nephew :shepface:

And here's an oldie but goodie clencher of a takeoff