Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Doctor Butts posted:

Maybe i'm not leaning enough into the turn, but if my one skate just kind of slides to the side when i'm trying to do a turn/crossover at speed, does that mean I might have to get skates sharpened?

Is it the inside skate or the outside skate? I'm guessing you probably have the inside foot too far to the outside of your body so you're not really getting up on the edge.

Like if you're turning left you want your left foot to be kind of under your center of mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea, it is my left skate believe it or not. It's pretty much right under the middle of my body and when i start to lean it just slides to the side.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's easy to test.. go near the bench and use a hand to brace yourself, and try to find the angle where you can dig your edge into the ice and put all your weight on it without sliding. If the angle is much over 30 degrees before the skate catches, it's time to sharpen.

I think the rule of thumb is to sharpen every 15 hours of skating. More often if you're obsessive about super sharp blades, but I find I can usually get close to 20 hours before things feel slippery.

If one skate seems to wear out before the other, that probably means you're favoring that foot for turning and stopping.. more work wears the edge faster. Make a mental note to practice with the other foot too. :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Geeze. With my flat bottom cut, I feel like I need a sharpen every 4-5 hours. That poo poo gets dull fast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well look at mister moneybags with a fat wad to throw around sharpening skates!

(I think everyone has a different threshold, but from what I gather mist casual skaters sharpen once a month)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea, it is my left skate believe it or not. It's pretty much right under the middle of my body and when i start to lean it just slides to the side.
Try watching yourself in the glass while you're trying. The lean you need is pretty significant and I know I was having problems with crossing over CCW (right over left). I felt like my outside edge on my inside skate was slipping. Then I noticed how much I was leaning on my clockwise crossovers. The CCW crossovers improved instantly as I started to really lean into them.

When you're not sure of how to perform a particular skating maneuver, it can be a little scary to balance and lean properly to get good edges, but if you don't, you'll never skate well.

On a different note, I got an interference (I think) call last night. Young woman (most of my penalties recently seem to be against women) skating slowly backwards into the crease while they're on offense in our zone. I'm playing D, give her a light push into the back. She ends up falling face first and basically lands flat like a pancake.

I mean, I didn't think I pushed her all that hard and the way she landed really seems like she wasn't expecting any contact at all. Which is just...I dunno. It's a no-check league, but if you're gonna go skating around the crease, you should expect to have a bit of a fight on your hands, no? Come to think of it, I've had at least two penalties like this, with women on the drawing end of both of them...

Also, when I was skating to the bench, some spectator yelled at me "that's what you get being a prick!!" Some people...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

coldwind posted:

Come to think of it, I've had at least two penalties like this, with women on the drawing end of both of them...

Why is their gender so important that you had to mention it like 3 times in this post?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

xzzy posted:

It's easy to test.. go near the bench and use a hand to brace yourself, and try to find the angle where you can dig your edge into the ice and put all your weight on it without sliding. If the angle is much over 30 degrees before the skate catches, it's time to sharpen.

I think the rule of thumb is to sharpen every 15 hours of skating. More often if you're obsessive about super sharp blades, but I find I can usually get close to 20 hours before things feel slippery.
An even easier way, is to run your thumb nail against the edge, and if it "hooks" to the edge, it's sharp, if it glides off, its time to sharpen it.

Sharpening is very individual, I've heard somewhere that NHL players vary between sharpening after each game, and sharpening once a season.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Geeze. With my flat bottom cut, I feel like I need a sharpen every 4-5 hours. That poo poo gets dull fast.
A flat bottom cut will do that, the structual integrity of the blade becomes worse, and that's why hockey skates aren't.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anders posted:

Sharpening is very individual, I've heard somewhere that NHL players vary between sharpening after each game, and sharpening once a season.

Some even sharpen between periods. :iiam:

But pros do all kinds of wacky stuff, it's kind of their job.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

xzzy posted:

Some even sharpen between periods. :iiam:

But pros do all kinds of wacky stuff, it's kind of their job.

I was actually gonna type that... but I wasn't sure I remembered correctly so I went for the safe understatment.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Why is their gender so important that you had to mention it like 3 times in this post?
I honestly don't know. I don't have a good answer for you, I guess.

I've gotten as many penalties this season (five) as I have the rest of my admittedly short hockey playing career. Four of them have been drawn by women and one of them was legitimate but the rest have been kinda ticky-tacky. It's been kind of frustrating because it seems like most of the penalties have been drawn because they were skating around the crease as if they weren't going to be touched. Not at all prepared to hold their ground. And then a defenseman (me) comes over and starts to try and move them out and they go down and the bench erupts and I get three minutes and suddenly I'm an rear end in a top hat and the "tough guy" goes out of his way to take runs at me the rest of the game.

I unno, that's my best theory.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Were these women of color by chance?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If they reflect light they have a color. :colbert:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

coldwind posted:

I've gotten as many penalties this season (five) as I have the rest of my admittedly short hockey playing career. Four of them have been drawn by women and one of them was legitimate but the rest have been kinda ticky-tacky. It's been kind of frustrating because it seems like most of the penalties have been drawn because they were skating around the crease as if they weren't going to be touched. Not at all prepared to hold their ground. And then a defenseman (me) comes over and starts to try and move them out and they go down and the bench erupts and I get three minutes and suddenly I'm an rear end in a top hat and the "tough guy" goes out of his way to take runs at me the rest of the game.

Just as an odd commentary, I also think it's interesting that you continuously use the terminology "drawn by" as if you had no part in any of them.

Penalties are a judgement call by the referee. In a beginner non-checking league, most of us are going to be fairly lenient on the bumping around in front of the net and using body positioning and contact to maintain or take control of the puck in most situations. But some key components to when this may not be the case pertain to the skill level and size of the players involved. If it's a beginner league and some dude who should probably know better is out there shoving around another player who can't skate well we're probably going to call it - the better dude already has an advantage there and there's no real game reason why he needs to push the worse player over. Same type of thing when there's a considerable size or strength difference. If someone is standing in the crease and you're going to engage them, that's fine, but try to gauge what level of force is necessarily appropriate to engage them with - if they actually get knocked down you do run the risk of an interference call, because technically you are interfering with the person away from the puck.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

First game playing D trip report:

Lost 9-3 to a team with a few ringers but only two of the goals against were while I was on the ice so I feel like my pairing was slightly above average. Made one bad pass coming out of our zone that went for an icing but I don't think I did anything too dumb with the puck in my own end. I fell down a few times transitioning from forward to backward but the clinic I'm taking starting Tuesday should help my skating.

On one of the goals scored against us while I was on the ice one of their forwards was carrying the puck deep and I was pushing him into the corner when my D partner came over to try to double team him or something, crashed into me, and left the guy free to make a cross-crease pass to an open guy on the far post :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We just lost 4-3 in the semis to the 1st place ringer team, who lost 1 game out of 25. It was probably the best game we've ever played so we weren't too disappointed. We had them tied 3-3 in the third too. Last time they beat us 10-2, so I'm pretty sure they didn't expect us to give them much of a game. My line put up all 3 goals too. :toot:

Great (but not best) way to end the season. I don't know what to do with myself now. Next season doesn't start for 3 more weeks :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hitting the gym more is the best thing to do with time off

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Mucho lunges and squats in your future.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Psssh, I'm in there all week anyways.

Squats own.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have to peel back my gym routine the day of games. If you don't have to do that, more power to you but when all of my games are shut down at the same time it's opens up a ton more time/energy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been terrible about going to the gym the past month. Prior to that I had a great routine going that was getting results, but I was pretty much always sore for some reason. Then the wife and I took a week vacation which broke said routine and I've yet to fully get back on the horse.. mostly because I've started enjoying not having my muscles in a constant rebuild cycle.

Stupid vacations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I had a late game last night and got like 3 hours of sleep. I'm not sure how my squats are going to go this afternoon, I'm going to guess "poorly".

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I was going to a Crossfit gym but stopped at the start of the new year because it was becoming waaaay too big of a financial burden. I tried going on my own to my school's gym but it became a chore, and once it becomes a chore it's hard to build up the motivation to go and work out. I know there's a lot of criticism out there at Crossfit gyms and their workouts, but guided group workouts should be standard at every gym. (This is why gym memberships and obesity are positively correlated in the US.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gyms are absolutely ridiculous but I can't figure out ay other way to train up.. between my wife and I we spend almost $700 a month on gym+trainers.

Deciding not to have kids left us a pile of money to spend though. :v:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

between my wife and I we spend almost $700 a month on gym+trainers.

That is...insane :stare:

Free, fully-equipped employee gym :smug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I get sticker shock every time I do the monthly balance, but on the other hand I've never been healthier so that's how I justify it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I always get mad that I've never had health insurance that made a real effort to give discounts for gym memberships or exercise equipment.

One city I lived in had a rec center, and had pretty good prices if you lived in the city. The rec center was brand new too. Had a sizable free weight area, nice sized treadmill/bike area and a lot of weight machines. One of the coolest parts (that I never utilized) was the track around the entire thing.

Then I moved, and the only decent option was the YMCA, which work gave me a little break on new membership fee. Place was new as well. Had a good selection but no track area. I could even walk or drive there!

Then I moved again. Nothing usable close by. I don't want an expensive membership downtown, and YMCA got to be a little far.

So these days I just hope I can get to a park or try to join some rec sports league. Other than that, I just sit on my rear end and get mad that I don't get discounts on exercise equipment from health insurance.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Gyms are absolutely ridiculous but I can't figure out ay other way to train up.. between my wife and I we spend almost $700 a month on gym+trainers.

Deciding not to have kids left us a pile of money to spend though. :v:
Holy christ, I don't even know how that's possible!

My Crossfit membership was $125/mo., which is really high for a gym. I plan on going back when I make actual money and not college money.

Gio fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 12, 2012

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Playoffs start tonight.

Three guys that haven't showed up for the past 5 games are intent on making their presence known for us tonight. I can't wait till next season when we cut these guys. The team played better as a unit without them, specifically two of them who are just a huge negative presence. The other guy, who I'm replacing on D, would constantly get caught beneath the other team's goal line. :iiam:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Yeah, Crossfit is notoriously expensive but if I had to pay for a gym the local YMCA, city rec center, and local college rec center are all between $40-50/month.

e: Looks like the local crossfit is $150/mo :negative:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

That is...insane :stare:

Free, fully-equipped employee gym :smug:

Yeah, $700 is absolutely insane. Just head over to W&W and pick out a strength program then buy yourself 3 new top-end sticks a month with your newly saved money.

Also, :hf: on employee gyms. I use my lunch hour to lift, so I don't have to worry about it eating into my evenings.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

Holy christ, I don't even know how that's possible!
Base membership is $100 a month each, plus $20 so the wifey can have a permanent locker. So if we skipped the personal trainers, it'd be reasonable. I love the trainers, but it's $250 a month for an hour a week, each. :gonk:

Added bonus: wife's trainer has season tickets for the blackhawks so we get tickets at face value a few times a season.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I'm a goalie but a lot of my favorite team mates play on a 2nd lower division team that already has a goalie, so I'm thinking of buying a set of forward gear. The cost is hilarious to me; aside from the skates, the whole rest of the gear costs less than what I just payed for my new goalie catching glove. I haven't played out of the net since I was in peewee's though. I'm a good skater and probably fast without the pads on but I have no idea if I'll be hockey-retarded to the point that they don't want me. Its D3 though, not a big deal. Most of all I'm afraid of falling over backwards as soon as I step on the ice because I have been in flat-bladed goalie skates exclusively since I was about 10.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I'm a goalie but a lot of my favorite team mates play on a 2nd lower division team that already has a goalie, so I'm thinking of buying a set of forward gear. The cost is hilarious to me; aside from the skates, the whole rest of the gear costs less than what I just payed for my new goalie catching glove. I haven't played out of the net since I was in peewee's though. I'm a good skater and probably fast without the pads on but I have no idea if I'll be hockey-retarded to the point that they don't want me. Its D3 though, not a big deal. Most of all I'm afraid of falling over backwards as soon as I step on the ice because I have been in flat-bladed goalie skates exclusively since I was about 10.

I wouldn't sweat it. I've been skating out since I injured my knee. Last week was the first time I played net in a while and it was ok. Skating out isn't so bad if you're a decent skater and if you have good positioning. Though to be fair I was playing defense before switching over to goalie for the longest time. I think just being aware of the situation and your positioning will help you a lot. I also found that playing net for a while made me better at being aware of positioning and situations.

Edit: You guys that have ordered jerseys for your teams what places have you used? Good/bad experiences?

Surfing Turtle fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 12, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Thufir posted:

Yeah, Crossfit is notoriously expensive but if I had to pay for a gym the local YMCA, city rec center, and local college rec center are all between $40-50/month.

e: Looks like the local crossfit is $150/mo :negative:
I really wish someone came out with a Crossfit-like gym that was way cheaper. :(

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Just as an odd commentary, I also think it's interesting that you continuously use the terminology "drawn by" as if you had no part in any of them.
Firstly, I was mistakenly using the phrase to refer to any player who had a penalty committed against them. I thought it was an easier way to navigate my meaning but i used it wrong.

Secondofly, in order for your statement to be true, you would have to believe that anytime a penalty is drawn, the penalized player has no part in it. Which I don't think you believe.

With regards to your explanation of penalty calling, there is an implication that I should know better than to shove around players who are worse than me. Well, shouldn't the players who are roughly my size and more skilled and experienced than me know better than to expect a free ride when skating backwards directly into the dman covering the net?

When i think about it, overall I am just bothered by skaters who don't prepare for contact when skating around the crease. I am not so much bothered over the penalty aspect as I am the mindset. I was just venting about the skaters who beat me around corners one on one or dipsey doodle my legs into a pretzel, then minutes later get all upset because there's resistance when they want to jam a stick into my goalie's padding.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Hockey Instructional trip report, week3

Had a blast again tonight, we did power skating drills for the first half and then pass-shoot drills for the second. Almost snaked one past the goalie, but the first goal still eludes me. Next week I miss the Monday class (last of my Bruins ticket package), bit I start adult skating class on Sunday afternoon.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
We won our first game of the season, and it was a playoff game :woop:

I ended up playing offense too, which was nice. The top pairing hasn't been "clicking" so the one guy offered to switch lines with me, effectively placing himself on the third line and me on the first. We were rewarded with a 2 goal night, each. Wound up winning 9-7, but it was a weird ride. We were up 5-0 when our goalie started letting in softie after softie. We joked afterward about him trying to keep it competitive, but I'm seriously worried about his mindset moving forward. Game 2 of the series is Sunday, can't wait!

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

coldwind posted:

Firstly, I was mistakenly using the phrase to refer to any player who had a penalty committed against them. I thought it was an easier way to navigate my meaning but i used it wrong.

Secondofly, in order for your statement to be true, you would have to believe that anytime a penalty is drawn, the penalized player has no part in it. Which I don't think you believe.

With regards to your explanation of penalty calling, there is an implication that I should know better than to shove around players who are worse than me. Well, shouldn't the players who are roughly my size and more skilled and experienced than me know better than to expect a free ride when skating backwards directly into the dman covering the net?

When i think about it, overall I am just bothered by skaters who don't prepare for contact when skating around the crease. I am not so much bothered over the penalty aspect as I am the mindset. I was just venting about the skaters who beat me around corners one on one or dipsey doodle my legs into a pretzel, then minutes later get all upset because there's resistance when they want to jam a stick into my goalie's padding.

I hate the girl skaters, and the refs, in your league. Divers, the lot of 'em. I'm mid stop last friday, maybe 2 feet from the boards with the puck against the boards to my left. Girl on mott decides to skate from my left between me and the boards and stop to try and block me from the puck. Of course shes 5' and I have about 70lbs on her so she goes flying. I get called for checking. I was already stopping and couldn't stop any faster ref! If I wanted to check her she wouldn't have gotten back up drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's a hockey stop not the 5th symphony, how much time/space does it take for you to stop?

To be clear, in your story, you are in mid stop and she makes a positional decision, moves there, and comes to a stop. And you still haven't stopped and hit her hard enough to go flying. Maybe I'm not understanding it right.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 13, 2012