Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Nope. Plenty of fish will stay out deep and feed all summer long. They only come up shallow to spawn in the spring. The deeper water is cooler, especially near the thermocline, which they like. Add in some structure and the bass will be plenty happy.

Then again since I've skunked hard as hell for the last month+ straight, so maybe don't listen to me. I probably watched 25-30 bass cruise in front of me today or chase my lure, drat near put their nose on it and then gently caress off back deep. I got tons of reactions and attention, but barely any nips on the tail of the lure and 0 bites. They're up chasing bait and actively hunting in 1/2-1 1/2 foot of water but they don't want anything I'm throwing. And its not just me, half a dozen other guys bank fishing in the area today had the same poo poo happening to them today. Even the dude with live shiners was skunking when I left. I'm not sure if its all the rain we've had loving with the fish or what, but I'm drat near to the point of taking a half stick of dynamite with me next time I go.

Edit: Actually, gently caress it. A list of what I threw today:
Senko: thrown wacky rigged and both weighted and unweighted texas rig - 2 colors
Fluke: thrown texas rigged and bladed swimbait hook style - 2 colors
Finesse worm: thrown shakey head and texas rigged - 1 color
Paddle tail swimbait: thrown weighted texas rigged and weightless swimbait hooked - 5 colors
Walking bait: 1 color
Square bill crank bait: 1 color

Fished 4 areas across 2 ponds, total distance covered on foot was around 2 miles including trip in and out. I'm seriously at a loss at this point. loving fish. :argh:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I. M. Gei posted:

Don’t fish need to move to shallower water in hot weather to get oxygen?

I’m fairly sure that cold water retains more oxygen and fish go deep when it gets hot.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want to fish again but I can’t today. :whitewater:

I want to morning fish again but I probably can’t until Monday. Maybe tomorrow if I’m lucky. :whitewater:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I want to fish again but I can’t today. :whitewater:

I want to morning fish again but I probably can’t until Monday. Maybe tomorrow if I’m lucky. :whitewater:

I just want to say that I admire your dedication to keep at it even when things go sideways and I'm glad you still have the drive to enjoy fishing. You've done a lot in a short time, especially for someone getting back into the sport after 10+ years. Just something about you coming in here and posting about how much you look forward to fishing brings a little joy to me for some reason.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 27, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I mean... I think part of it is due to life stuff and an antidepressant I’m on, but thanks! :)

Now if only I’d put that energy toward finding a job and going back to school.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I'm going to check out a new pond tomorrow since my old one only has babies, apparently.

I've been watching a bunch of videos from the Tactical Bassin' channel on YouTube, so I'm pretty much an expert now. :smug:

edit for people getting skunked: bass are probably going to slow down a bit during this hot part of the year. From what I've learned, you should use a smaller lure and a slower presentation so they can pretty much just inhale it without having to work much.

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 27, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Their channel has some good info even if some of their recommendations are in the "lol $900 rod and reel setup" range. And thats the goofy thing for me, our last month and a half has basically been monsoon rain every day for an hour or two kinda conditions, so this water is low 70's and the fish are active as hell. Fishing in florida is weird this time of year it seems. :emo:

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Took the little fly rod kit out tonight to practice casting; it didn't go very well. After ten minutes or so I sonic boomed the fly off the leader, but managed to retrieve it.

As for my fledgling steps into lure fishing, I also didn't have any luck. I think that boiled down to using the wrong lure for a shallow and weedy pond, though. It was grabbing salad and sticks every time exclusively, and I'm pretty sure it was grabbing it both as it entered the water and when I was reeling it in, making it essentially useless. I was using the silver Min-o-spin by Johnson. link

I've had better luck with these little purple worms getting through the vegetation without catching it. Any advice for matching a lure to a shallow pond with lots of vegetation?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I would either do a topwater frog, a texas rig, or a worm/creature with a big rear end weight on it to punch through the salad.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Ghostnuke posted:

I would either do a topwater frog, a texas rig, or a worm/creature with a big rear end weight on it to punch through the salad.

Sounds good, thanks! The frog might actually be a hit, given how many of them start singing at the pond before dark.
I've had the most luck with these lures so far, they are lethal.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 28, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just found out a friend of mine that I don't see too often bought a fishing boat and is looking for fishing buddies. We're not going to have a chance to get out until September, but that's pretty great news!

What's the etiquette when someone takes you out on their boat? Do I offer to pay for gas, or pick up lunch or something like that?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

prom candy posted:

Just found out a friend of mine that I don't see too often bought a fishing boat and is looking for fishing buddies. We're not going to have a chance to get out until September, but that's pretty great news!

What's the etiquette when someone takes you out on their boat? Do I offer to pay for gas, or pick up lunch or something like that?

If he was supplying all the gear I’d pick up his gas and (not lunch that’s something else) launch/parking fee and help wash the boat after.

I just did a big multi day trip 150 miles from our house and 25miles off shore with a buddy and split the gas 50/50. My share was like $240. I supplied my own gear though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Define frustration: getting skunked spending 3 hours on the water, while a dude who breezes in next to you catches half a dozen red drum in 45 minutes. Hell, he even loaned me some of his shrimp and I got debaited of those without even feeling a tap

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

prom candy posted:

Chip in for gas, buy the ice and drinks. I wish the people who rode on my boat when it was working properly had even been that courteous. :sigh:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

Sounds good, thanks! The frog might actually be a hit, given how many of them start singing at the pond before dark.
I've had the most luck with these lures so far, they are lethal.

These pre-rigged purple worms with the red bead and propellers are one of the things my grandpa used to swear by.

What's y'alls "foolproof" lures from the past? When I was growing up it was an H&H spinnerbait that I'm not sure even exists anymore. They were extremely cheap (25 cents) and came in little baggies on a cardboard sheet. You would tear one off like it was a phone number for guitar lessons.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 28, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

LingcodKilla posted:

If he was supplying all the gear I’d pick up his gas and (not lunch that’s something else) launch/parking fee and help wash the boat after.

I just did a big multi day trip 150 miles from our house and 25miles off shore with a buddy and split the gas 50/50. My share was like $240. I supplied my own gear though.

Oh wow that's a lot of gas! I think we'll just be spending a few hours on a lake nearby and I'll bring my own rigs but I'll definitely pitch for gas and pay the parking/launch.

I may have the opportunity to go offshore in Florida around Christmas with my FIL and his neighbour on his neighbour's boat. I find it really hard to get guys from that generation to take money for anything though. Also yes my in-laws live on a beautiful Canadian lake in the summer and on the ocean in Florida in the winter, i don't know why it only dawned on me to take up fishing like two years ago.

Unperson_47 posted:

What's y'alls "foolproof" lures - now or from the past. When I was growing up it was an H&H spinnerbait that I'm not sure even exists anymore. They were extremely cheap and came in little baggies on a cardboard sheet.

When I was a kid it was the red devil. Seemed like everyone loved those.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 28, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Lot of Beetle Spins and Baby Bass colored torpedoes, too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My go to ocean lure is a 6oz chrome bar. I’ve caught everything from small rockfish to thumper lingcods on it. Cabezon and halibut too.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Unperson_47 posted:

What's y'alls "foolproof" lures from the past?

Black Jitterbug is the goddamn king of night fishing, period. Hell, I've even caught gigantic bream on them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

All of my most recent success has been with live minnows. I’ve had hardly any luck on artificial lures, but the ones I have had luck* with are chartreuse spinnerbaits and junebug crappie jigs.

* “Luck” = I almost caught a fish once with each of them.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Trying to figure out a good spinning rod and reel for lake/river fishing I can get for around $200 total that is actually available at a retail place and not just hypothetically available from some dark corner of the internet shops.

I have a two piece Ugly Stick combo now, and am just looking to step up a bit in quality. Every time I look on YouTube or elsewhere, I either get some long spiel about rods and reels I can't actually seem to find anywhere, or a lengthy discussion about how this one is good for dropping triple bullet soft ply taco jigs with grub trailers and I have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about.

Are there seriously not good basic fishing rods and reels that are a step up, but are not single purpose for a particular type of lure?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I fuckin' love my st. croix rod, it's from the eyecon line. I got it for about $100, and a pfleuger president xt for a bit less, so should be less than $200. Have been very happy with both.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

SlyFrog posted:

Trying to figure out a good spinning rod and reel for lake/river fishing I can get for around $200 total that is actually available at a retail place and not just hypothetically available from some dark corner of the internet shops.

I have a two piece Ugly Stick combo now, and am just looking to step up a bit in quality. Every time I look on YouTube or elsewhere, I either get some long spiel about rods and reels I can't actually seem to find anywhere, or a lengthy discussion about how this one is good for dropping triple bullet soft ply taco jigs with grub trailers and I have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about.

Are there seriously not good basic fishing rods and reels that are a step up, but are not single purpose for a particular type of lure?

What fish and style?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Fish. That's what I'm going for. Fish in lakes and rivers. I'm not hunting a specific type of fish. That's what I said earlier, I'm not looking for a specific rod targeted to panfish or something. I want something that could catch panfish, bass, catfish, a reasonably sized northern or muskie, etc. Basically, anything in a freshwater lake or river.

Am I going to catch a 50" muskie on the same rod I'm using for panfish. No, I get that is unlikely. But I know for fact that I have caught panfish along with a decent sized northern on my Ugly Stick. So I know there are rods that can catch more than one type of fish. I would rather have a good all purpose rod and reel than something specialized (eg a light rod for just panfish) at this point.

If it wasn't clear, I said I was looking for spinning reel in my post.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A basic medium heavy spinning rod with a fast action and a 30 size reel should be what you're looking at tbh. Past that it comes down to what brands you want or like. Put hands on the rods/reels at like academy/dicks/bass pro and see what feels comfortable for you. Something thats comfortable to hold for hours is the best rod /reel for you. I'd look at the abu garcia revo x for a reel. I have yet to be disappointed in any of the revo reels.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Growing up for catching redfish and speckled trout in brackish marsh / gulf waters it was a shad rig / shad darts setup, white head red eye hooks with just little soft nylon bristle skirts on them and both baited with shrimp and a styrofoam bobber about 2' above the higher shad.

Cast, count to 5, start reeling for 5, wait for 5, repeat until your lines rolled back. If you didn't get any strikes on 4-5 casts then you weren't gonna get any there anyways.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SlyFrog posted:

Fish. That's what I'm going for. Fish in lakes and rivers. I'm not hunting a specific type of fish. That's what I said earlier, I'm not looking for a specific rod targeted to panfish or something. I want something that could catch panfish, bass, catfish, a reasonably sized northern or muskie, etc. Basically, anything in a freshwater lake or river.

Am I going to catch a 50" muskie on the same rod I'm using for panfish. No, I get that is unlikely. But I know for fact that I have caught panfish along with a decent sized northern on my Ugly Stick. So I know there are rods that can catch more than one type of fish. I would rather have a good all purpose rod and reel than something specialized (eg a light rod for just panfish) at this point.

I’d just stick with ugly stick and buy a few different rod lengths and another reel to mix and match around.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thought about morning fishing again this morning. Woke up at 5, went “nah :effort:” and went back to sleep. Now regretting my choice, cuz there’s this huge largemouth right around the dock at the lake I go to that I wanna try to catch if it’s still there, which I hope it is.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Some jerk is gonna snag it and kill it by keeping it out of the water too long taking photo ops with it.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

If I sound crabby, I apologize - I genuinely appreciate all the help. I'm just more frustrated that fishing seems to be this strange area where you ask what type of basic spinning rod and reel would be good for "general fishing," and all you get is way too detailed questioning about whether you're planning on going after marlin or steelhead trout.

It's just hard for me to believe that there aren't good "basic fishing" rods and reels that are commonly recommended. It would be like if someone asked me about a good set of beginner golf clubs that you could grow into a bit - I wouldn't start asking them about whether they have a fade or a slice, how much backspin they want to put on the ball on their approach shots, are they willing to give up distance for greater control on approaches, and what degree of loft they need offset versus the standard for their swing pattern.

Understand that I'm not banging on the people in this forum (or any particular place). I've just been doing some research, and have found it surprisingly hard to pin down this issue that should be seemingly simple, in a way that I have not with any other hobby (disc golf, kayaking, boardgaming, golf, tennis, people have pretty decent, "Yeah, you're new, if you don't want to buy complete poo poo start with this and it will last you for a while/you'll grow into it," recommendations that are also not super-high end expensive gear). Only fishing has eluded me, as people just seem super resistant to giving specific advice.

So thank you for the advice so far. I appreciate it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SlyFrog posted:

It's just hard for me to believe that there aren't good "basic fishing" rods and reels that are commonly recommended. It would be like if someone asked me about a good set of beginner golf clubs that you could grow into a bit - I wouldn't start asking them about whether they have a fade or a slice, how much backspin they want to put on the ball on their approach shots, are they willing to give up distance for greater control on approaches, and what degree of loft they need offset versus the standard for their swing pattern.

You just reminded me I also want to find a cheap driving range to work on my golf swing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SlyFrog posted:

If I sound crabby, I apologize - I genuinely appreciate all the help. I'm just more frustrated that fishing seems to be this strange area where you ask what type of basic spinning rod and reel would be good for "general fishing," and all you get is way too detailed questioning about whether you're planning on going after marlin or steelhead trout.

Well, if you're fishing off a peir in the salt, we would not recommend a light spinning rod.

Speaking of which, get a DAIWA D Shock combo from Walmart for a cheap kick around to keep spare. I've had mine kicking around for years, it's a hoss.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 28, 2019

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

SlyFrog posted:

Yeah, a nice 7 foot medium power fast action rated for 1/4-3/8 oz lures. The eyecon is nice, fenwick hmgs are good too in that price range. If you're going to buy a nice rod, get a one piece if possible. Spring for braid and fluoro leader. Grab some 1/4 oz jig heads and some 3.5" paddletails and you'll catch anything in the lake and enjoy doing it. The president reels are good, you can get them cheap on amazon, I'd spend more of the budget on the rod. I asked about style because if you're going to be trolling a lot, a medium action is better than fast. Casting or jigging fast or extra fast.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Lol I made that post about rigs for not getting snagged and then that's all I did today. I lost probably 4 or 5 rigs. I was even getting snagged on Texas and wacky rigs, this place must have some nasty rocks.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

SlyFrog posted:

It would be like if someone asked me about a good set of beginner golf clubs that you could grow into a bit -

Maybe a better analogy would be someone who says they want to play golf but only wants to own one club. Depending on what they mean by "play golf" would change your recommendation. Are we talking minigolf? Medium driving range? Just want to send balls with a beefy driver? One club to play the whole course?

Like others have said, a 30-size Pflueger President, Abu garcia Revo, or similar class Shimano should do you fine. Rod feel isn't really something you can test off the water so go to a big box sports store and find the medium/medium-heavy, fast tip rod that feels best in your hand.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

If I absolutely need a set of rods and reels in order to catch bass, panfish, sportfish, catfish, etc. from freshwater lakes and rivers, that's fine. Just let me know.

If someone asked me about playing golf with a single club, I'd tell them, "No, you need a decent starter set, not just one club, otherwise you can't play. Here's what to buy."

I also probably wouldn't assume that someone who tells me they want to take up golf would be interested in mini-golf, chipping balls only, playing Wii Golf, or hitting balls off an airport tarmack. Just like I'd assume someone who tells me they're interested in basic fishing probably doesn't need to start with a salt water baitcaster or fly fishing rod for steelhead.

And if they did tell me they just wanted to hit some balls, I could still easily tell them a driver to buy and send them to a range. Again, I would not start raising questions about whether they wanted a full length range or something short with weighted balls to prevent flight length, etc.

It's just weird to me how much fishing people resist against this.

I'll look into the medium to medium heavy 7' one piece fast rods and 30" reels that were mentioned. Thanks all for the advice!

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 28, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m going on orders to Naples Italy all next year and I’ll be attempting to fish almost right away. Looking forward to figuring out what works in a foreign land and hopefully seeing new fish.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

SlyFrog posted:

If I absolutely need a set of rods and reels in order to catch bass, panfish, sportfish, catfish, etc. from freshwater lakes and rivers, that's fine. Just let me know.

If someone asked me about playing golf with a single club, I'd tell them, "No, you need a decent starter set, not just one club, otherwise you can't play. Here's what to buy."

I also probably wouldn't assume that someone who tells me they want to take up golf would be interested in mini-golf, chipping balls only, playing Wii Golf, or hitting balls off an airport tarmack. Just like I'd assume someone who tells me they're interested in basic fishing probably doesn't need to start with a salt water baitcaster or fly fishing rod for steelhead.

And if they did tell me they just wanted to hit some balls, I could still easily tell them a driver to buy and send them to a range. Again, I would not start raising questions about whether they wanted a full length range or something short with weighted balls to prevent flight length, etc.

I'll look into the medium to medium heavy 7' one piece fast rods and 30" reels that were mentioned. Thanks all for the advice!

I vote medium, not medium heavy. MH suuuucks for fish less than 2 lbs. Medium you can jig and dropshot with reasonable sensitivity and still handle the odd 10+ pounder. Look for the 1/4 to 3/8 rating.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

One reason for this is different lures and techniques work best with specific rods. This of course means that you want to tailor what gear you're using to a specific species if possible. A setup geared towards pike will lose some ability to land panfish easily and a panfish setup will play hell trying to land a decent sized pike/walleye. Now, this doesn't mean its impossible. In fact its very possible with enough practice and knowledge. But it'll be more frustrating to you as the angler which is something the person giving the advice wants to avoid when someone is fairly new.

That said, the 7' med to med heavy fast action recommendation is as close as freshwater fishing comes to a generic fishing pole. It works best with your common staple lures that a bass/walleye/pike angler would use, and can passibly throw heavier panfish lures with practice and a favorable wind. Bobber fishing for panfish will be fine though.

Edit'

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I vote medium, not medium heavy. MH suuuucks for fish less than 2 lbs. Medium you can jig and dropshot with reasonable sensitivity and still handle the odd 10+ pounder. Look for the 1/4 to 3/8 rating.

Thats not alota backbone with a really stiff tip for a beginner rod tbh. I was thinking a medium/fast with 1/8 or 3/16 to 5/8 ratings. You can still fling 1/4oz and 3/8 oz baits while having enough backbone to get fish away from structure.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Went fishing this afternoon and caught 3 crappie and :siren: MY FIRST EVER LARGEMOUTH BASS :siren:

a big ol’ 5-inch monster baby :3: :3: :3:

The hook didn’t even go through the little guy. He was just lightly biting on it. :3: