Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I am a terrible rear end in a top hat. I was working front last night, and someone wanted their to-go chicken wrapped separately from the bread due to a gluten allergy. I acknowledge this, let them know I'll make sure the cooks know. Five seconds later he interrupts me to ask if I'd heard the gluten free that I had just repeated back to him. I acknowledged it again, explained I would not only put it on the ticket but tell the cooks directly...finished the ringout...and promptly forgot about the allergy.

Thank God he saw them making it and said something to them. Odds are it wasn't Celiac but I could have been responsible for someone getting seriously hosed up. That's the first and I pray to Jesus last time I ever screw up on something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Vorenus posted:

Five seconds later he interrupts me to ask if I'd heard the gluten free that I had just repeated back to him.

Funny thing is, you would have had a better chance of remembering if he hadn't interrupted, but he's probably had people just repeat back whatever he says and not understand, so he was trying to make sure.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving Father's Day was busy as gently caress. 15+ hours today, and 11k sales between 5-9 alone. We ran out of so much food, I feel a little bad for the openers tomorrow, not terribly so, but a little.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

What sort of restaurant do you work at? Maybe I just haven't been working in the right places but Father's Day never struck me as an especially busy holiday, at least nowhere on the same scale as a Mother's Day or Valentines.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
We ran out too, and prepared for a busy day but then it was three times as busy! All the ingredients are gone. I want to take 2 days off, and not 1, and have been told that is okay though! Every time i accept the offer instead of going in for a sixth I know I am looked at as a bit more of a weakling but 50 hours is Enough, right?

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

yeah, its pretty surprising given the 'patriarchal society' of 'male entitlement' we live in that fathers day earns about 20% of mothers day receipts :airquote:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

twotimer posted:

yeah, its pretty surprising given the 'patriarchal society' of 'male entitlement' we live in that fathers day earns about 20% of mothers day receipts :airquote:

I'm gonna assume this is an "ironic post" and that you have no idea what "patriarchy" means.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

twotimer posted:

source your quotes

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

At the busiest restaurant I've worked at Father's Day consistently had more people in for brunch than Mother's Day, but I never saw what sales numbers were like. I doubt you'd have more covers by that margin and less sales, but you never know.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Aren't only like steak houses the most busiest for Fathers Day or some poo poo??

I got a second job by the way. Start tomorrow!

Place is a poo poo hole. Can't wait!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

A Man and his dog posted:

Aren't only like steak houses the most busiest for Fathers Day or some poo poo??

I got a second job by the way. Start tomorrow!

Place is a poo poo hole. Can't wait!

Moving from one poo poo hole to the next, seems like you are on a great path!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Sorry you don't like money.

What a shame.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Sorry you don't like money.

What a shame.

I do, I just go get a job that makes money instead of the paltry scraps you are earning in a "poo poo hole". You thought 700$ was a huge rush so clearly you do not like money enough to know about it either.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh god I'm not even going into the high class / low class restaurant war with you man...

It's a second job on the beach. That's all.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Oh god I'm not even going into the high class / low class restaurant war with you man...

It's a second job on the beach. That's all.

Clearly you are in the wrong line of work. Every post just paints a worse picture.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao yes I'm in the wrong line of work. This is a good troll job by the way.

Let me ask you. Where are you in the industry?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Oh boy we just hired this smoking hottie. She looks like she gets down as well.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It's me, I'm the person gloating about how much money they will make working in a place they specifically call a poo poo hole.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao if you think I'm pulling tons of money....

I know people who make triple what I make in this industry. So no, I'm not gloating or anything.

Also that chick sucked and was fired after a week.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Also that chick sucked and was fired after a week.

Did she "get down"

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
the slapfight is cool and all, but I really need the thread's help right now in reminding me that it's okay to take a 2 day weekend if its offered.

e: i would like to get down

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Trebuchet King posted:

At the busiest restaurant I've worked at Father's Day consistently had more people in for brunch than Mother's Day, but I never saw what sales numbers were like. I doubt you'd have more covers by that margin and less sales, but you never know.

I couldn't even imagine that. That is so backwards to me. We debated on even opening for fathers day at all. The only reason we opened this Sunday was because we got a party room booked for a guy we call Richie rich. Most dads I know want to fire up the grill, at least thats what happens in my white bread suburban life, maybe its different in the city.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Secret Spoon posted:

I couldn't even imagine that. That is so backwards to me. We debated on even opening for fathers day at all. The only reason we opened this Sunday was because we got a party room booked for a guy we call Richie rich. Most dads I know want to fire up the grill, at least thats what happens in my white bread suburban life, maybe its different in the city.

It's very different. We did ~100 for brunch and ~120 for dinner, 80 of which happened between 5:00 and 5:30. It was a blast, other than having to open after closing and getting slammed both Friday and Saturday.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Speaking of poo poo holes, please look at this dude's post history and stop interacting with this loving idiot.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Secret Spoon posted:

Yeah, this was pretty much in central DC. Not super big city, but still pretty drat metropolitan. Mother's Day I want to say we'd have 1000-1100 covers while Father's Day ~1200.

edit: the spread was also pretty different--mother's day was a steady pace through the shift but father's day was hella frontloaded.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 22, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Republicans posted:

What sort of restaurant do you work at? Maybe I just haven't been working in the right places but Father's Day never struck me as an especially busy holiday, at least nowhere on the same scale as a Mother's Day or Valentines.

"Tavern and Restaurant", upscale Friday's kinda place, handcut chicken breasts and tenders for sandwiches and salads, pre-made soups from corporate, most sauces made in store. That kinda place. It was unexpectedly crazy busy.

e - I've got a shadowing thing scheduled for the hospital on Wednesday though, so that's good. I work the next 2 nights at the first place, then off for 4 days (not counting the shadowing.) I'm not as sore today as I would have expected which is also good.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 22, 2015

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Republicans posted:

Craft beer bar with a pretty simple bar food menu and we had our busiest Sunday in half a year yesterday. Add to that the night/weekend crew shrank from 6 to 3 as of last week and everyone was overwhelmed and sleepwalking through their nth shift without a day off and you've got yourself a shitshow. We didn't even have that busy of a week but when you're understaffed even a regular day gets to feeling like 8-10 hours in the weeds. Mother's Day weekend was a ghost town compared to this.

Manuel Calavera posted:

We ran out of so much food, I feel a little bad for the openers tomorrow, not terribly so, but a little.
This too :negative:

Simoom posted:

the slapfight is cool and all, but I really need the thread's help right now in reminding me that it's okay to take a 2 day weekend if its offered.

e: i would like to get down
I can't remember the last time I had two days off in a row when I wasn't unemployed. Take it you fool!

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 22, 2015

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Okay, opinion time: what do you do when a pregnant woman orders something alcoholic?

Let's assume that there was some kind of conversational cue or overheard snippet and not just "oh she looks pregnant."

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Trebuchet King posted:

Okay, opinion time: what do you do when a pregnant woman orders something alcoholic?

Let's assume that there was some kind of conversational cue or overheard snippet and not just "oh she looks pregnant."

while appalling get her the drink. Treat her like any other guest.

E: On mothers day we did a little over 1000 guests. Fathers day? 200. Guess the burbs are weird guys.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The woman I work with had 1 glass of wine every night while she was pregnant.

Baby looks normal to me. :shrug:

But yeah don't drink while prego. But you have to serve them as usual.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Even if a pregnant woman tells you she is pregnant, do not assume she is pregnant.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
In California, if she is of age and has proper ID, you MUST serve her. It is discriminatory to refuse her service because she is pregnant.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trebuchet King posted:

Get her the drink and don't give it a second thought. It's not "appalling." There's nothing wrong with a pregnant woman having an occasional drink. Is there some level of increased risk to the fetus if she does? Maybe. Probably. Is there some level of increased risk to the fetus because she got in a car and drove to your restaurant? Yes, definitely. Pregnant women are not somehow obligated to never engage in behavior that presents some tiny additional risk to their fetuses, and we do not as a culture choose to confine them to bedrest for 9 months lest there's a chance they endanger their developing children. What do you do when a pregnant woman orders a cup of coffee? Or a greek salad with feta on it? Do you just get it for her, or do you internally tut-tut that as a pregnant woman she shouldn't be indulging in that pleasure because it has approximately a 0.00000001% chance of doing something bad to the fetus? Is she allowed to take Tylenol if she gets a headache while pregnant, or should she just suck it up, because fetus?

Secret Spoon posted:

Kid could suffer from atypical FAS.

Kid could also be, and far more likely is, totally normal and completely unharmed by its mother's alcohol consumption.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 22, 2015

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

The woman I work with had 1 glass of wine every night while she was pregnant.

Baby looks normal to me. :shrug:

But yeah don't drink while prego. But you have to serve them as usual.

Kid could suffer from atypical FAS.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Get her the drink and don't give it a second thought. It's not "appalling." There's nothing wrong with a pregnant woman having an occasional drink. Is there some level of increased risk to the fetus if she does? Maybe. Probably. Is there some level of increased risk to the fetus because she got in a car and drove to your restaurant? Yes, definitely. Pregnant women are not somehow obligated to never engage in behavior that presents some tiny additional risk to their fetuses, and we do not as a culture choose to confine them to bedrest to 9 months lest there's a chance they endanger their developing children. What do you do when a pregnant woman orders a cup of coffee? Or a greek salad with feta on it? Do you just get it for her, or do you internally tut-tut that as a pregnant woman she shouldn't be indulging in that pleasure because it has approximately a 0.00000001% chance of doing something bad to the fetus? Is she allowed to take Tylenol if she gets a headache while pregnant, or should she just suck it up, because fetus?

Speaking of which maybe you need a drink, calm down a little. I don't think anyone is "tut-tut"ing a pregnant woman who orders one glass of wine or whatever. But in the same token, if the same woman is on her 3rd jack and coke maybe its ok to.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Secret Spoon posted:

Speaking of which maybe you need a drink, calm down a little. I don't think anyone is "tut-tut"ing a pregnant woman who orders one glass of wine or whatever.

You, just there up above, said that it's "appalling" for a pregnant woman to order an alcoholic drink. Not "get shitfaced drunk," but "order one glass of wine or whatever."

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Phanatic posted:

You, just there up above, said that it's "appalling" for a pregnant woman to order an alcoholic drink. Not "get shitfaced drunk," but "order one glass of wine or whatever."

If I rolled my eyes any harder I would have fallen out of my chair.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Sounds like you've had too much to drink.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
No woman should be getting poo poo faced while pregnant come on now. That's really selfish and loving stupid...

You would not believe the amount of women who do this though or other substance abuse while prego.

Turn left thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Sounds like you've had too much to drink.
Strawmen can drink? wooow :captainpop:

• Locked thread