Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Ccs posted:

If you work in Quebec for a few years do you end up getting CPP checks and QPP checks when you retire? How does that work?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HookShot posted:

I was going to do the BMO one but it requires direct deposit from an employer and seeing as I have none, well...

I feel like one of my friends said that he opened this account and his "direct deposit" is an automatic transfer from Tangerine that goes back the other way a day or two later.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

James Baud posted:

I feel like one of my friends said that he opened this account and his "direct deposit" is an automatic transfer from Tangerine that goes back the other way a day or two later.

Really? That works? I've changed my direct deposit so many times over the years. From CIBC to Tangerine, then to TD, back to Tangerine, back to CIBC, then back to Tangerine. It's been a wild ride.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Really? That works? I've changed my direct deposit so many times over the years. From CIBC to Tangerine, then to TD, back to Tangerine, back to CIBC, then back to Tangerine. It's been a wild ride.

No, that doesn't work. Most of these bonuses either require a direct deposit from your employer OR two PAD (utility bills, credit card, etc.)

Depending on the bank, a PAD from another bank such as Tangerine may count as one of those two PADs. But not always.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kal Torak posted:

No, that doesn't work. Most of these bonuses either require a direct deposit from your employer OR two PAD (utility bills, credit card, etc.)

Depending on the bank, a PAD from another bank such as Tangerine may count as one of those two PADs. But not always.

Tangerine transfers worked for this BMO promo, and also a CIBC 'Smart' account one that required 1x preauth deposit / 2x preauth withdrawals.

Not so confident re: this BMO promo though. But it really depends on whether they flag deposits from Tangerine or the software counts anything and only manual review might get you revoked...

terms posted:

Set up one (1) recurring direct deposit from your employer or your pension and have at least one (1) direct deposit transaction appear for at least three (3) consecutive months in the Chequing Account no later than January 31, 2018.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 24, 2017

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I inquired on that BMO one last year and was specifically told by them it had to be either a salary or pension payment. Tangerine transfers won't cut it.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

I inquired on that BMO one last year and was specifically told by them it had to be either a salary or pension payment. Tangerine transfers won't cut it.

RFD people say otherwise, notwithstanding the one guy right at the end who got static from a rep but did get the bonus anyway.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/search.php?keywords=tangerine&t=1991487

But the wording looks to have changed to more explicitly say so, as I quoted above. Does't mean the software did.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

James Baud posted:

Tangerine transfers worked for this BMO promo, and also a CIBC 'Smart' account one that required 1x preauth deposit / 2x preauth withdrawals.

Not so confident re: this BMO promo though. But it really depends on whether they flag deposits from Tangerine or the software counts anything and only manual review might get you revoked...

It surprises me that it would work for those. I sure wouldn't bank on it, but if RFD says it works, then I guess it works.

I've never had accounts at CIBC or BMO but I know for TD and ATB bonuses, Tangerine doesn't work as a direct deposit.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
this probably isn't the right thread, but does anyone have a suggestion for cheap tenant insurance? I'm talking to StateFarm people right now and I'm pretty sure their office is staffed by a group of morons because they're taking days to get anything done.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

BCAA, Intact, TD, RBC. I can't recommend any but there are lots around.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

murked by dragon posted:

this probably isn't the right thread, but does anyone have a suggestion for cheap tenant insurance? I'm talking to StateFarm people right now and I'm pretty sure their office is staffed by a group of morons because they're taking days to get anything done.

Sonnet.ca

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Try the cooperators for insurance

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Thanks, this was cheap and easy. Took me 5 minutes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Evis posted:

BCAA, Intact, TD, RBC. I can't recommend any but there are lots around.

TD with the employee discount gave me a worse policy at a higher cost than State Farm did without the discount.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm with SquareOne but I've never had to make a claim so don't know how good they are.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gardiner ads work!

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

Gardiner ads work!

I found them from a write-up in the Globe last fall while I was doing research on why life insurance sales is so technologically backwards, don't think they advertise at all out west. :)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I've been planning on cancelling my TD Cashback Mastercard for awhile and TD is finally ending the card and forcing me to do it anyways, what's everyone using for Mastercard nowadays? I was thinking about picking up the Westjet Mastercard for travel rewards

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
capital one Costco MasterCard if you're a Costco person

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

large hands posted:

capital one Costco MasterCard if you're a Costco person

I finally got my own membership a few months ago and got this with it. 3% on restaurants and 2% on gas is pretty good. I use my Amazon Visa for everything else, though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Tangerine MasterCard just went down to 0.5% back on purchases outside your two or three chosen categories, so you can probably do better than that.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

murked by dragon posted:

TD insurance has always given me good prices. See if they have some sort of group you can be in that improves your rates. For example, I'm a Laurier Alumni and that group saves me about 10% over the walk in the door rates.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Just got this email from Tangerine.

quote:

Dear [the most imperious and handsome God-Emperor Wirth1000],

It’s come to our attention that for some recently issued Tangerine Client Cards, the Interac® Flash feature isn’t working, and your Card seems to be one that has this problem. The affected Cards are otherwise functioning properly and can be used for chip-inserted debit purchases, but as you may have noticed, tapping to make a purchase doesn’t work.

We’ll be sending you a new Card as a replacement, and it should arrive in about 7-10 business days. Once you receive and activate the new Card, you can destroy your current one. You’ll be able to continue using your existing Card PIN with your replacement Card.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Sincerely,

Client Services
Tangerine

That's nice of them and appreciated it. Except when I called months ago to initially report the issue and politely ask for a replacement client card the customer service rep told me she would have to 100% absolutely disable my CURRENT client card right away leaving me without a card while I waited 7 to 10 business days for my replacement card to show up and there is, unfortunately, no work around whatsoever. Glad to see that was complete bullshit.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I use apple pay for everything.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Use a credit card you scrub

ed:

Let me explain.

Does this business take credit card? If yes use credit card collect cashback/points.
Do they sell online also? check ebates/coupons/use credit card.

You're welcome

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 4, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Apple Pay goes through my credit card, scrubling.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
How do you buy things from Amazon? Personally I use bitcoin

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

TD insurance has always given me good prices. See if they have some sort of group you can be in that improves your rates. For example, I'm a Laurier Alumni and that group saves me about 10% over the walk in the door rates.

Seconding TD Insurance, with discounts I was able to get better home insurance cheaper than what a broker offered me.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I tried Apple Pay at Loblaws and it locked up the POS terminal and the guy had to reboot it. He said it happens a lot with Apple Pay.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Blurring the line between my payment cards and my phone is still a barrier I'm not comfortable with.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

At this point I just wish they'd remove the $100 limit on tap purchases. Or at least up it to $200 so I'll never have to put my weekly groceries through via two transactions again. And I could have done my recent vet bill in two transactions instead of three.

I can't wait until identification can be run through NFC, then I can finally be wallet-less. Except for restaurants. They gotta figure that poo poo out.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I thought tap limits were merchant limits?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think it's on both sides, but mostly because the credit card companies have said that tap purchases above $100 incur additional risk premiums.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rick Rickshaw posted:

At this point I just wish they'd remove the $100 limit on tap purchases. Or at least up it to $200 so I'll never have to put my weekly groceries through via two transactions again. And I could have done my recent vet bill in two transactions instead of three.

I can't wait until identification can be run through NFC, then I can finally be wallet-less. Except for restaurants. They gotta figure that poo poo out.

You split up transactions instead of just spending the three extra seconds to use the chip?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

cowofwar posted:

You split up transactions instead of just spending the three extra seconds to use the chip?

Or forgot their PIN.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

I think it's on both sides, but mostly because the credit card companies have said that tap purchases above $100 incur additional risk premiums.

Costco's tap limit is way above 100 - might be 250. Or if this discussion limited to Apple Pay, then I have no idea.

Of course, Costco also associates every purchase with a photo ID membership card...

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

cowofwar posted:

These are always in cases where I didn't bring my wallet because I didn't plan on spending money / thought I'd be under $100. I never bring my wallet to the grocery store anymore, because I'm usually under $100, or I just do two transactions.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone have any advice for good low-fee online brokerage sites (not for just TSE)? I'm with HSBC if there is some service associated with them for account holders.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

http://www.moneysense.ca/save/investing/canadas-best-online-brokerages-2017/ is probably a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've never understood the love affair that Canadian broker reviewers have always had with Qtrade. There's only one thing Qtrade does better than other brokerages as best I can tell (and I have looked around and made trades in someone else's account) and that's support for holding the more esoteric RESP grants in unrestricted accounts.