Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Hey PF, is there any likelihood of teleportitis being changed back to the way it used to be before the next release? Even one level of it is enough to make places like branch ends and depths unwinnable, and you don't even have stasis to counteract it. It used to be really bad, but now it's just absurd.

What was even the motivation behind changing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Hey PF, is there any likelihood of teleportitis being changed back to the way it used to be before the next release? Even one level of it is enough to make places like branch ends and depths unwinnable, and you don't even have stasis to counteract it. It used to be really bad, but now it's just absurd.

What was even the motivation behind changing it?

I thought the only thing that changed was if you were going to get teleported to somewhere with no monsters in LOS it just doesn't bother to teleport you?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Weird that they added a lightening rod a couple versions after weight was removed

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Different focus. It's for people to replace the sticks up their butts so they can lighten up. :v:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

BeyondRad posted:

I thought the only thing that changed was if you were going to get teleported to somewhere with no monsters in LOS it just doesn't bother to teleport you?

Ya it's only supposed to be about as dangerous as it was before, just less annoying on cleared floors. No stasis is true though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

resistentialism posted:

Ya it's only supposed to be about as dangerous as it was before, just less annoying on cleared floors. No stasis is true though.

It's a bad mutation the way it is now.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

No poo poo it's a bad mutation. That's why it's coloured red in your list.

The way it is now is better than it was previous. It's only now you're seeing how dangerous being unable to control your position really is.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sage Grimm posted:

No poo poo it's a bad mutation. That's why it's coloured red in your list.

The way it is now is better than it was previous. It's only now you're seeing how dangerous being unable to control your position really is.

It was a bad mutation when it randomly teleported you. Now you may as well just quit if you get it.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

resistentialism posted:

If anything it's unambiguously more dangerous because random teleports have a chance to send you somewhere safe if you were previously in a bad spot.*

*Unless there was a hidden mechanic preventing this in older versions, but if memory serves me right that wasn't the case

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You can still randomly teleport where some low level mook is just chilling on their own away from the scary group of goons wanting to play Mash the Adventurer the way it is now. And if the level's been evenly distributed with enemies, that is pretty likely! Some branch ends aren't set up like that though, so they become more dangerous when you're initially stepping through. And if you've cleared the rest of the level out before starting into the end vault, you won't have that random teleport saving your rear end either.

But that's the thing, teleportitis picks a random spot every time it triggers. The only difference is now if it doesn't find an enemy within LOS of that square, it silently fizzles. You were just as likely to hit bad company previous to the change.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Sage Grimm posted:

But that's the thing, teleportitis picks a random spot every time it triggers. The only difference is now if it doesn't find an enemy within LOS of that square, it silently fizzles. You were just as likely to hit bad company previous to the change.

I did not know this! That's a clever way of minimizing the irrelevant annoyance of teleporting around inconsequentially while you're just trying to explore or autotravel. Still a little more dangerous than before, though, since a mutation teleport can no longer bail you out of a fight - it'll just move you into a different fight.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If teleportitis really is too dangerous, maybe change tier 1 and 2 of the mutation to trigger if the destination or the player's current location has an enemy visible.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That, or make it trigger the teleport status with like 4 turns to go for the rank 1 mutation, 2 turns for rank 2, and just instant for rank 3 (in addition to the teleport frequency effects of the mutation rank). So at least you have a brief window to say "oh poo poo" and recite tele unless you're blessed with Teleportitis III: Mr. Xom's Wild Ride.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

BigFactory posted:

It was a bad mutation when it randomly teleported you. Now you may as well just quit if you get it.

Did you read none of the other posts explaining it teleports you next to monsters exactly as often as it used to? it's less likely to bail you out now but it puts you in danger just as often and the bailout was rarely actually something that happened

apple
May 18, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

You can still randomly teleport where some low level mook is just chilling on their own away from the scary group of goons wanting to play Mash the Adventurer the way it is now. And if the level's been evenly distributed with enemies, that is pretty likely! Some branch ends aren't set up like that though, so they become more dangerous when you're initially stepping through. And if you've cleared the rest of the level out before starting into the end vault, you won't have that random teleport saving your rear end either.

Right, what I'm trying to say is I'd rather have the older teleportitis, even at the expense of being annoyed because there could be times where every enemy I'd get teleported to is a dangerous fight, while also currently being in a dangerous fight, and teleportitis could save me if it sends me to a patch on the map that's not occupied with monsters.

Now I'm wondering if it would be the HOM thing to do to leave a bunch of chaff alive outside a vault as "teleport markers" when you have teleportitis; that way when it triggers you at least have a chance of meeting popcorn instead of being teleported knee-deep into a vault with dangerous enemies. (e: I worded this completely wrong, sorry :v: )

e: of course this would be strictly for the "bail out" case, having popcorn on the map won't change whether or not you get teleported to a dangerous fight

apple fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 11, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

apple posted:

Right, what I'm trying to say is I'd rather have the older teleportitis, even at the expense of being annoyed because there could be times where every enemy I'd get teleported to is a dangerous fight, while also currently being in a dangerous fight, and teleportitis could save me if it sends me to a patch on the map that's not occupied with monsters.

Now I'm wondering if it would be the HOM thing to do to leave a bunch of chaff alive outside a vault as "teleport markers" when you have teleportitis; that way when it triggers you at least have a chance of meeting popcorn instead of being teleported knee-deep into a vault with dangerous enemies. (e: I worded this completely wrong, sorry :v: )

e: of course this would be strictly for the "bail out" case, having popcorn on the map won't change whether or not you get teleported to a dangerous fight

Hypothetical Optimal Teleportitis Man:

cast low-power Summon Demon until you get a hostile 4 then sleep/slow/confuse it, run away, and leave it as a teleport beacon

apple
May 18, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Hypothetical Optimal Teleportitis Man:

cast low-power Summon Demon until you get a hostile 4 then sleep/slow/confuse it, run away, and leave it as a teleport beacon

HOTman, if you will

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I Love You! posted:

Did you read none of the other posts explaining it teleports you next to monsters exactly as often as it used to? it's less likely to bail you out now but it puts you in danger just as often and the bailout was rarely actually something that happened

A good explanation was posted after I wrote that, but thanks for chiming in!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
sometimes it seems like these plans aren't optimal at all!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, you should be aiming for Hellwings instead! That way they can provide you with a random teleport. :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PleasingFungus posted:

they are if you're a mummy of ru or gozag (aka no piety decay) :colbert:

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

The goal isn't to create a scenario that is actually feasible or logical in actual play, or something that anyone would actually engage in.

The goal is simply to create the most inane and petty possible complaint about any mechanic and demand that everything else redeeming about it is thrown out as well for the sake of resolving the nitpick. The more facetious the argument, the more internet credit you earn by whining how some marginal, impractical and pointless exploit you made up invalidates the entire game, exposing it as a terribly designed wreck that somehow you can't stop obsessing about.

At least, that's my understanding of why people come up with these 'optimal' plans. It's the best explanation I can come up with for their ubiquity.

apple
May 18, 2003

I'm actually ok with either form of teleportitis, and the current form has more than enough pros to it that there's no good reason to turn back. I was thinking out loud and it inadvertently turned into shitposting or something. Also, the idea of HOTman is funny to me because I'm 12.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
I liked it when teleportits sent me across a mostly cleared level because it would wake me up when I was mindlessly tabbing and it's really cool on the very rare times when you're out of tele scrolls and you're saved by dumb luck. It's also funny when your teleportities sends you only one square away.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Could someone explain what's up with CSZO?

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Started a mommy monk with the intention of going Pak and finally ascending a goddamn mummy via rods and wands, and was so proud when I avoided the temptation to go Gozag when I encountered a D3 altar.

Then on D4 I found a gadget shop with two rods of clouds and one inaccuracy.

So now I have yet another destined-to-die mummy of Gozag. I'll never learn.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Having prevailed with minotaur berserker of 'press tab a lot' I figure I should go win with an equally simple caster, is DECj of Vehumet still the 'press z a lot' easy mode of choice?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That or FE. Both basically are tuned towards blasting with Cj being slightly less direct about it with the likes of BattleSphere and Fulminant Prism in the starting book.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Akett posted:

Looks like someone by the name of Dreemurr is butthurt over something? From the CSZO page:

crawl.s-z.org is no longer serving crawl games, but data from old games may be found here. Dreemurr would like to pass along the following message:

none of these would have happened if we'd just not gone overboard and banned someone over a trivial prank. use it as motivation to stop making a big deal over something so small, or improve the database (i cant believe this couldn't be reversed? get on fixing it!)

And from the forums, same guy:

last night i dreamed i wasnt going to wake up be an rear end in a top hat today
then someone decided to be a dick

Does anyone know who this guy is?

apple
May 18, 2003

UberJew posted:

Having prevailed with minotaur berserker of 'press tab a lot' I figure I should go win with an equally simple caster, is DECj of Vehumet still the 'press z a lot' easy mode of choice?

I find that battlesphere + magic darts will deal with almost everything without thinking much about it. You can do better combinations of spells based on what you find and the situation but it's a low cost, mana efficient way of doing damage that doesn't miss. You'll need other spells for packs of tankier enemies like elephants/death yaks, but by that point you should have a bolt spell or two available from books or Vehumet.

Like Sage Grimm mentioned there's also FE, you can basically spam fireballs against almost everything with reckless abandon and it'll be fairly mana efficient vs groups thanks to Vehumet, but sticky flame and/or conjure flame will be more efficient vs single targets if it's safe to stand close to them, so plan accordingly.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah, you should be aiming for Hellwings instead! That way they can provide you with a random teleport. :v:

Hellwing tele other got removed a while ago :(

Akett posted:

The admin got sick of volunteering his free time just to get poo poo on by griefers. The latest streak-breaker guy was the straw that broke the camel's back, at least for now.

(The lack of a single-sign on system, combined with shared scoring between servers, lets people register on one server to mess with scoring - register & quit to break streaks, that kind of thing. It's been known for a while, but no one on the team has the experience or time required to build a replacement system.)

In this case, 'Dreemurr' registered as someone else to break his streak. The CSZO server admin looked up his IP and banned his original account, so as revenge, Dreemurr immediately went and broke several more streaks, and then left the remarks on cszo's main page.

to paraphrase: 'it's your fault I'm smashing this window with a hammer, these windows should be more solid'

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 11, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Akett posted:

Here's what I heard from a guy on reddit who heard from a guy on IRC:

Some guy was griefing by registering accounts under other players' names to inentionally die and end their streaks.
CSZO owner banned him, so he started griefing a lot more using a proxy.

CSZO owner decided that hosting a crawl server wasn't fun anymore, and as a result is no longer hosting a crawl server.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Here's what I heard from a guy on reddit who heard from a guy on IRC:

Some guy was griefing by registering accounts under other players' names to inentionally die and end their streaks.
CSZO owner banned him, so he started griefing a lot more using a proxy.

CSZO owner decided that hosting a crawl server wasn't fun anymore, and as a result is no longer hosting a crawl server.

Aw that sucks. Guess my doomed mummy is doomed for different reasons than normal!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Hellwing tele other got removed a while ago :(

Well, at least its replacement spell (cigotuvi's embrace) is thematically appropriate to its appearance. :sigh:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wow, it's cool that a bunch of drama that has nothing to do with me has screwed up a video game that I like to play.

Really cool.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
The admin is in a very bad mood right now, as happens to people from time to time. I'm hopeful that he'll feel better after he takes a break from the internet for a little while.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Wow, it's cool that a bunch of drama that has nothing to do with me has screwed up a video game that I like to play.

Really cool.

True, but understandable that the guy is pissed off. Hopefully he comes around but at the moment it is hard to blame him since he was basically hosting it for free, like PF said.

There are other servers you can use though, although the loss of the current character sucks. Just assume you got one-shot by an ancient lich and it's like it never happened!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

(The lack of a single-sign on system, combined with shared scoring between servers, lets people register on one server to mess with scoring - register & quit to break streaks, that kind of thing. It's been known for a while, but no one on the team has the experience or time required to build a replacement system.)

I'm guessing it's really, really complicated? It seems a bit weird to me that scoring is shared but login information isn't, but I'm not a programmer. I'd be curious to know more about it, actually.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Person Dyslexic posted:

True, but understandable that the guy is pissed off. Hopefully he comes around but at the moment it is hard to blame him since he was basically hosting it for free, like PF said.

There are other servers you can use though, although the loss of the current character sucks. Just assume you got one-shot by an ancient lich and it's like it never happened!

I was on rune 10 or 11, but whatever it's just a game.

This is the adult version of inviting a bunch of kids over to play Monopoly and then flipping the board when one kid swindles another for Boardwalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

The admin got sick of volunteering his free time just to get poo poo on by griefers. The latest streak-breaker guy was the straw that broke the camel's back, at least for now.

In this case, 'Dreemurr' registered as someone else to break his streak. The CSZO server admin looked up his IP and banned his original account, so as revenge, Dreemurr immediately went and broke several more streaks, and then left the remarks on cszo's main page.

to paraphrase: 'it's your fault I'm smashing this window with a hammer, these windows should be more solid'

That's sad to hear :(

How technical of a change would it be to upgrade the database so it just gathers data from a username + e-mail pair? That way if you hijack a name it would actually require the user's account to be compromised. You would have to figure out how to display duplicate names, however, so it'd be kind of an ugly hack.

• Locked thread