Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Kemper Boyd posted:

Know who would benefit enormously? The Wahhabites who the Saudis fund. Defunding mainstream islam is like the best way to give fundamentalists a real shot in the arm.

What DarkCrawler said, but can you explain to me what "mainstream islam" is? Sunni? Shia? Whatever that weird dancing fetish thing is? Or maybe one of the sub-sub-sub cults in any of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

DarkCrawler posted:

I would assume that "stopping tolerating religious bullshit" would involve not letting Saudi preachers or Saudi funds in

Yeah, that'll stop internet preachers based in another country from spreading their propaganda in Finland.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Darkest Auer posted:

What DarkCrawler said, but can you explain to me what "mainstream islam" is? Sunni? Shia? Whatever that weird dancing fetish thing is? Or maybe one of the sub-sub-sub cults in any of those?

The Average Matti Muslim practice in Finland regardless of denomination, i.e. visit mosque from time to time, do the prayer thing five times a day.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Average Matti Muslim practice in Finland regardless of denomination, i.e. visit mosque from time to time, do the prayer thing five times a day.

What about your average Matti Muslim when you take into account the wandering hordes of refugees that came to Finland in the last year or so? Anyway, arranging your life based on arbitrary prayer times every day is pretty insane, especially since god apparently didn't know about latitudes and how the sun works so you have to follow Mecca time or whatever.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Darkest Auer posted:

What about your average Matti Muslim when you take into account the wandering hordes of refugees that came to Finland in the last year or so? Anyway, arranging your life based on arbitrary prayer times every day is pretty insane, especially since god apparently didn't know about latitudes and how the sun works so you have to follow Mecca time or whatever.

Of which only a fraction will actually stay in Finland. Over 30k came, and something in the order of 20k is left. Nice use of racist "wandering hordes" rhetoric, and even nicer internet atheism tho.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Call me crazy if you like, but I think that we maybe shouldn't revoke human rights based on what some internet Ligur imagines muslims to be like.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

When did everyone become an expert on islam anyway?

All I need to know about Islam I learned on 9/11

e: gently caress :negative:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Kemper Boyd posted:

Of which only a fraction will actually stay in Finland. Over 30k came, and something in the order of 20k is left. Nice use of racist "wandering hordes" rhetoric, and even nicer internet atheism tho.

The "wandering hordes" part was ironic and often used figure of speech in this thread, but 20 thousand is still a lot of mouths to feed, educate and play children's games with (I don't mean Pokeman go).

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Rexroom posted:

It's probably worth mentioning that those lone Islamists are more or less disenfranchised youths who don't see a future for themselves

quote:

– Erittäin kiinnostava esimerkki on se, että ranskalaisten jihadistien kielenkäyttöön on pesiytynyt Kylmä rinki  -televisiosarjasta tuttu termi "muslim" korvaamaan oman kielen musulman-sana.

Hmmmery

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darkest Auer posted:

"wandering hordes" lol

they're refugees not loving 13th century mongols

perhaps the first step in preventing the subhuman muslims from attacking is to not treat them like absolute poo poo at all times

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Replace Tintin with french jihadism researcher Olivier Roy

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Herman Merman posted:

Replace Tintin with french jihadism researcher Olivier Roy

tintin why are you teaching those monkies about geograph- oh those are supposed to be literal black people

oh my god

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rexroom posted:

Yeah, that'll stop internet preachers based in another country from spreading their propaganda in Finland.

It won't, you have to cut off Saudi/Gulf/Wahhabist money globally to defeat that.

Darkest Auer posted:

It takes like 1 min lol they don't "arrange their life based on arbitrary prayer times" I work with like a hundred Muslims on 12h shifts and I've seen one pray once

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
The whole anti-religion sentiment is spot on and might have even a larger psychological effect (based on my ponderings). When a child learns about whatever religion his parents follow, he's bound to ask some questions with no good answers because, surprise surprise, religions are all retarded. Now if his parents simply tell him that some things you just have to take for granted or some other crap, that puts his mind into a mode where some aspects of life don't need rational reasoning. That you don't have to base your opinions on facts and that you shouldn't change your opinions even if someone's arguments are better than yours. Now once a person has grown into that mindset, it's a lot more difficult to educate him about anything. He has gotten accustomed to ignoring logic and thinks that's the way life should be. I'm sure you can imagine the rest of the downsides.

A culture emphasising rationality instead of tradition would lead to a better world.

I know this is a bit of sidetrack of the whole terrorism debate, but as I got a bit of a religion-approving vibe from this thread, I felt like chiming in.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Kemper Boyd posted:

When did everyone become an expert on islam anyway?

Ask all the European "experts" or other talking heads who, after every Allahu Akbar -strike happens (probably going go turn from monthly to weekly now), are summoned worth and proclaim nothing ever has nothing to do with Islam. At least the latest strike has nothing to do with it, now, let's oppose racism instead. This is ridiculous bullshit. I would rather listen to the people who practice it or combat extremists in the Middle-East (ergo secular Muslims who oppose radical Muslims).

I know Kemper doesn't even read my posts because he can't handle them and has no reasonable response but "whimper, u racis'", but just in general it is pretty ridiculous how many uhh, interviewed European (non-religious) "experts" or just "opinion people" are so hosed up in the head they cannot see any connection with someone shouting "Allah is Great" while shooting people in the name of Islam, and Islam.

(The reasons for this are manyfold, but I have a suspicion one is their inability to admit the idea of "multiculturalism" where the East-African Muslim nomad leaves side by side with the Western social democratic feminist in peace and harmony didn't really work and will not work.)

Every horrible monster who is "critical to completely open immigration from Muslim countries to EU soil" (or maahanmuuttokriittinen) are well aware there are dozens of sects of Muslims. For example I consider Ahmadiyya Muslims awesome dudes and girls, and I even know some personally as friends. I would not mind if they all moved to Finland tomorrow. Of course, with their peaceful ways, they are harassed and oppressed or worse by other Muslims everywhere they exist but I digress...

Unfortunately ISIS supporters consider themselves as real followers of Islam as anyone else. A kemperboyd or hermanmerman or whatever loser who doesn't even practice religion has no business telling anyone what "real Islam" is. Real Islam is what it is for the person who follows it, whatever it may entail, be it peaceful co-existence with everyone or beheading everyone who looks and sounds different.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 20, 2016

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

The whole thing about rationalism being a cure for all the world's ills is interesting, because the whole Enlightenment thing ended up creating some really horrifying ideas. For instance, eugenics was more or less entirely based on Enlightenment thought and ~rationalism~.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

SnowblindFatal posted:

religions are all retarded.

Why or how? Why should they all be?

I can't really imagine a single reason why I would call Buddhists or Ahmadiyya Muslims particularly retarded.

At least they have some values worth upholding, unlike secular materialist Pokémon playing Western kids or kemperboyds who are mostly interested in making themselves look good in the face of whatever the current socially popular narrative is.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

SnowblindFatal posted:

religions are all retarded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXa80iqZQqI

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Ligur posted:

Why or how? Why should they all be?

Yo, make no mistake, the Jesus character, for example, spews some of my favourite philosophy which everyone should try to follow. However, this does not lessen the fact that those teachings work just fine without any of the bullshit involved.

Kinda same thing with all the hippie tantra crap and such. Yes, certain kinds of moving and touching feel nice as hell, but you still don't have to make up stories about energy fields and electrical currents flowing from person to person.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Skipped around a bit but seemed boring. What's this about?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

SnowblindFatal posted:

Yo, make no mistake, the Jesus character, for example, spews some of my favourite philosophy which everyone should try to follow. However, this does not lessen the fact that those teachings work just fine without any of the bullshit involved.

Kinda same thing with all the hippie tantra crap and such. Yes, certain kinds of moving and touching feel nice as hell, but you still don't have to make up stories about energy fields and electrical currents flowing from person to person.

Yeah sort of like that, so I'd say religious people without the bullshit are pretty decent people with pretty decent ideas, which makes religions ok in my book. I mean, ok religions are ok.

If your religion includes homosexuals should not exist, women have to wear a Religious Garment if they walk outside, and apostates should be killed, perhaps not.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

SnowblindFatal posted:

Skipped around a bit but seemed boring. What's this about?

How Christianity's 7 sins are about being a good person and what your motivations are, and Islam's are about being a good Muslim and benefiting the faith as an insular group that works together. Dunno how accurate it is but that's what the video guy is saying.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Ligur posted:

A hermanmerman or whatever loser who doesn't even practice religion has no business telling anyone what "real Islam" is. Real Islam is what it is for the person who follows it, whatever it may entail, be it peaceful co-existence with everyone or beheading everyone who looks and sounds different.

What slander is this. First you accuse me of prescribing for others what real Islam is, and then post my actual view on the topic as your own.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Herman Merman posted:

What slander is this. First you accuse me of prescribing for others what real Islam is, and then post my actual view on the topic as your own.

Sorry, I thought you were one of those people who (usually smugly) point out "the Islam of this dude who just killed everyone in the name of Islam is not really a Muslim and does not represent Islam" but I'm glad to know I was wrong.

Like, seriously, not even trolling or whatever. Glad to hear.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Ligur posted:

I can't really imagine a single reason why I would call Buddhists or Ahmadiyya Muslims particularly retarded.

No, they all are. I know your average westerner has this orientalist view of Buddhism where it's all about bald monks humming in a mountain monastery, but it's actually just as batshit crazy as all the other religions. It's absolutely vile in how all the emphasis is on your self and your death, the world is just suffering that you must escape etc. Buddhism is not a "good" religion, your muslim cults are not "good" religions, Confucianism is not a "good" philosophy. They're all valuable in a historical sense in that they give perspective on how today's world has evolved and as inspiration for some great works of art, but in the modern world where because of science we know about things there's no reason to treat them as anything other than an example of what mad ideas morons in the past had.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Darkest Auer posted:

No, they all are. I know your average westerner has this orientalist view of Buddhism where it's all about bald monks humming in a mountain monastery, but it's actually just as batshit crazy as all the other religions. It's absolutely vile in how all the emphasis is on your self and your death, the world is just suffering that you must escape etc. Buddhism is not a "good" religion, your muslim cults are not "good" religions, Confucianism is not a "good" philosophy. They're all valuable in a historical sense in that they give perspective on how today's world has evolved and as inspiration for some great works of art, but in the modern world where because of science we know about things there's no reason to treat them as anything other than an example of what mad ideas morons in the past had.

Buddhists practice ethnic cleansing against muslims in Myanmar.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Hogge Wild posted:

Buddhists practice ethnic cleansing against muslims in Myanmar.

Look, one positive doesn't negate all that other bad stuff.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

doverhog posted:

How Christianity's 7 sins are about being a good person and what your motivations are, and Islam's are about being a good Muslim and benefiting the faith as an insular group that works together. Dunno how accurate it is but that's what the video guy is saying.

That was the gist of it.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
http://www.hs.fi/politiikka/a1469073010924?ref=hs-etusivub-uusimmat-#10

No comment.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

"Muhammad ei ole Suomessa vapaasti arvostelun kohteena"

literally half a second ago, same person:

quote:

”Hitler vainosi ja murhasi vähemmistöjä. Samaa tapahtuu profeetta Muhammadin seuraajien parissa"

I assume the Mutaween didn't come and put him in jail for insulting the prophet so uhh

doverhog
May 31, 2013

He might be investigated for it soon, like Hakkarainen already is.

Do they realize that if the law was removed it would be legal for religious extremists of any type to preach violence against Christians, or women, or whoever. The law doesn't apply to any particular group or religion, the kansanryhmä can be anyone.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

doverhog posted:

He might be investigated for it soon, like Hakkarainen already is.

Yes but he actually broke a law (if someone thinks that calling for deportation of entire religious group is not incitement then megalol) literally hundreds of people freely criticize Muhammed, this teachings and his followers on a daily basis in Finland without going into court so he is completely wrong

doverhog posted:

Do they realize that if the law was removed it would be legal for religious extremists of any type to preach violence against Christians, or women, or whoever. The law doesn't apply to any particular group or religion, the kansanryhmä can be anyone.

Hey now, what's a little Pro-Holocaust poetry every now and then as long as we can say anything we want about Muslims and browns without having to answer for it, it's the Persu way

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Calling for violence is already prohibited, vague "hate speech" laws are not required for this. Just FYI.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

There's more than one way to call for violence. If you preach someone is subhuman and dangerous you are inciting violence without ever giving explicit instructions for killing.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
onkohan latonta puhua totta ja sanoa että profeetta muhammed oli pedofiili?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ligur posted:

Calling for violence is already prohibited, vague "hate speech" laws are not required for this. Just FYI.

Good thing the hate speech laws we have are not vague and only half a dozen people a year or so are convicted, then!

Hogge Wild posted:

No, pretty sure you won't have to look far to see actual published books that say this

talk to me if the religious police bust in your door though

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

Evidence would suggest not, since no one has ever been prosecuted for that. It wouldn't fall under "kiihotus kansanryhmää vastaan" anyway. Uskonrauhan rikkominen is a dumb law that should be removed.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

No, pretty sure you won't have to look far to see actual published books that say this

talk to me if the religious police bust in your door though

i will

doverhog posted:

Evidence would suggest not, since no one has ever been prosecuted for that. It wouldn't fall under "kiihotus kansanryhmää vastaan" anyway. Uskonrauhan rikkominen is a dumb law that should be removed.

agreed

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Hogge Wild posted:

Problem is, most people were paedophiles back then. Just look at the ancient Greeks and their NAMBLA ways. If we're going to hold ancient religious figures accountable on modern mores, wouldn't we complain how there weren't any women in Jesus's sausage club? Smash the patriarchy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene, his most important disciple. Paul worked hard to erase this fact from history after Jesus' death and ultimately succeeded.