Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Helter Skelter posted:

They may only have units for pre-order. There's a dude on reddit who claims his store only got one unit, but it doesn't pull up in their system at all yet through SKU or UPC, which it should do if it was intended to go out on the floor. I imagine it'll be easy enough to get one online for store delivery if that's what you want to do, but regular retail might take a bit.

I already have both an Oculus and an Amazon pre-order, just (im)patiently waiting for the shipping email to arrive. I'm not super worried about it though, I'm pretty excited and am sort of enjoying this feeling of anticipation :) Although it would be nice to just be able to go up to Best Buy Tues morning and pick one up. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

edit: Touch Lineup Announcement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWzngJ_DjE

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Aaand SteamVR just dropped an update that added haptics to Oculus. loving awesome.

Ugh, I'm going to blow so much money next week.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 2, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

Aaand SteamVR just dropped an update that added haptics to Oculus. loving awesome.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. loving excellent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My card has a pending charge from Oculus (and firehouse subs) so I'm just waiting for a shipping email. I don't my if my MyUPS works with my current address or not. I'm not seeing a shipment on there but I don't know if it means anything. Hopefully I see something tomorrow.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

AndrewP posted:

nice, this month is going to be awesome

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Wednesday, 12/07/2016, By End of Day

fuk

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This looks like it has some potential: https://youtu.be/3SZnbuXYU0Y
A classic MORPG (4 player multiplayer) with six classes and lots of dungeons to fight through. Sounds like they have a chance at getting some support from Valve too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

w00tazn posted:

He's doing that locomotion trick that was recently found out where you never gently caress with the pitch of the camera at all, if you notice from the video the "room" box he's in is always oriented up with regard to the floor. It psychologically allows you to stay "grounded" which eliminates a lot of motion sickness. (your inner ear and the force of gravity on your body matches what's in the game)

Is there some existing community for VR devs where they compare notes? I looked around for one a couple of months back with little success

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Warbird posted:

Is there some existing community for VR devs where they compare notes? I looked around for one a couple of months back with little success

The SteamVR Dev Hardware group seems to have a lot of devs posting at least.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Warbird posted:

Some online forums exist, but for the most part the big knowledge sharing has been happening at conferences. Oculus Connect, Steam Dev Days and Sony Devcon are all annual or more so even before you get to ordinary dev conferences like GDC there are a lot of opportunities throughout the year for platform holders and developers to organise what they've learned into talks.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

El Grillo posted:

This looks like it has some potential: https://youtu.be/3SZnbuXYU0Y
A classic MORPG (4 player multiplayer) with six classes and lots of dungeons to fight through. Sounds like they have a chance at getting some support from Valve too.

It's a good concept but the team has absolutely nothing to show for it. Just some basic map design and blocky models.

I really wish we could get some of the more popular studios that make these types of four-player games. Helldivers is a good example of something that could be crafted for VR without needing 2-3 years of development from a professional team.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Not that anyone cares but my late Day 1 Rift order has equated to no processing email and no shipping notice yet for touch.

:(

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...

w00tazn posted:

Not that anyone cares but my late Day 1 Rift order has equated to no processing email and no shipping notice yet for touch.

:(

https://twitter.com/brendaniribe/status/804738550545559552

That seems like quite a promise that'd be stupid to make otherwise, so I bet you'll get your touch early next week.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My touch is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

My touch is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday.

Same here, UPS has it today, moving from Kentucky to the west coast.

Sadly my two extra cameras are not coming for at least another week. :negative:

AndrewP posted:

At this point it seems smart to just buy everything on steam, just in case I pick up a vive later. Steam ascendant once again I guess.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Randomosity posted:

https://twitter.com/brendaniribe/status/804738550545559552

That seems like quite a promise that'd be stupid to make otherwise, so I bet you'll get your touch early next week.

My roommate who got his Rift a month+ after me (I don't remember the exact timings but it was decently long) has his also getting delivered on Wednesday, same as me. Seems like it's definitely way better than last

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They did hire a whole new logistics guy and said "judge us by the touch launch." Seems like it is working out for them.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I dunno, I got the "Your Order Is Shipping Soon" e-mail on Nov 23 but haven't gotten anything since then :smith:

I was 40 mins or so off the finish line so I didn't get my rift until around april. I'm still hopeful for pre-christmas!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Mine should arrive Tuesday. Going from Kentucky to Washington State.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Have you checked your account on the oculus website?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Huzzah, I just went from "Processing" to "Preparing" from Best Buy! We have movement!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

Have you checked your account on the oculus website?

Order Status: Shipped
Congratulations: your prior Rift preorder qualifies you to have a preferred place-in-line for your Touch preorder!

Tracking number is a link to UPS.

Scheduled Delivery: Tuesday, 12/06/2016, By End of Day
Last Location: Departed - Hodgkins, IL, United States, Friday, 12/02/2016
Shipment Category: Package
Shipped/Billed On: 11/30/2016
Weight: 3.50 lbs

Says I have 2 business days left on the delivery.

EDIT: I was also one of the people who got my Rift on the first shipment.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nalin posted:

Tuesday, 12/06/2016

code:
        F
        U
        C
        K
M O T H E R
        R
I got my Touch shipped to my office instead of my house, I wonder if that is what affects it. Why is it Wednesday for me!?!?!? AAAAAAAAGH

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe their logistics screwed up the shipping times. Seems like people on the west coast are getting theirs on Tuesday and people closer to the middle of the country are getting them on Wednesday. It's being shipped ground so maybe they figured the longer distances would take an extra day but apparently not. Kind of lame if that's the case but whatevs.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Last class video for the Unspoken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoXvef-FBRs

I wonder why they've been so stingy with showing off video, the only one that showed an actual match was that Gamespot one I think.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
After watching the Unspoken video I suddenly want Dishonored in VR. It could work pretty well with roomscale too, most of your actual character movement is short bursts of movement between cover with a lot of teleportation.

Also glad to hear that Oculus seems to have learned how to deliver products. More users with tracked hand controls means a bigger market, which means more games for all of us. I definitely hope the next generation of Lighthouse-based controls learn some lessons from the Oculus units, sure you can't crawl with them as easily but drat are they comfortable.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 3, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

wolrah posted:

After watching the Unspoken video I suddenly want Dishonored in VR. It could work pretty well with roomscale too, most of your actual character movement is short bursts of movement between cover with a lot of teleportation.

Unspoken + Budget Cuts = Dishonored VR!

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Haptics.

https://youtu.be/rCZPZnwYydo

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Just checked FedEx tracking and my delivery date got moved up to Monday, December 5th. Ordered from Best Buy Wednesday evening.

Moral of this story is ordering through Oculus is for chumps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just a quick warning for anyone freaking out that Oculus won't ship their touch for whatever reason. Amazon orders made after November 23rd might not ship until next year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5gai1m/amazon_touch_orders_placed_after_nov_23rd_are_not/

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Getting mine the 6th apparently, yay

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Herobound is still free on the Rift store, everyone should go get it while it lasts. I was skeptical starting it up because it's a Gear VR port so the graphics are a bit primitive, but it's a very solid Legend of Zelda game; apparently it's from the same guys who did Chronos which is one of the better reviewed VR games so far.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I got an email from Oculus with the codes for the free games, but not a shipping email with a tracking number. I have a UPS My Choice account though, and apparently it's already in my city and will be delivered on the 6th. So if you haven't gotten a shipping email yet, it doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't shipped.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Touch haptics in SteamVR work quite well. It isn't exactly a 1:1 replica of what the original SteamVR haptics feel like on Vive (for example the bow and arrow doesn't feel as nice) but it's still very well implemented.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

The Touch haptics in SteamVR work quite well. It isn't exactly a 1:1 replica of what the original SteamVR haptics feel like on Vive (for example the bow and arrow doesn't feel as nice) but it's still very well implemented.

Ah darn, I really wanted to feel that bow and arrow everyone raves about. Still, not complaining, just glad the have it at all.

Might have to go to the Vive thread but any recommendations on the best wave shooter, a la Raw Data, SPT...? I really only want to get one.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I think SPT is the most consistently praised one of those.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AndrewP posted:

Ah darn, I really wanted to feel that bow and arrow everyone raves about. Still, not complaining, just glad the have it at all.

Might have to go to the Vive thread but any recommendations on the best wave shooter, a la Raw Data, SPT...? I really only want to get one.

Raw Data is the best, but its price reflects that and it's very different to SPT. SPT and Raw Data are both great.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Got a processing email for Vancouver, Canada but no shipping info yet :(

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Dammit, I tried Job Simulator on Vive this weekend, and now I'm waffling on which headset to go for again. You Touch-getters better post about your room-scale experiences here. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Touch package is in London, probably 20 mins away from me. I swear the delivery date changed from 12/5 to 12/6 the last time I looked :(