Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
july
This poll is closed.
j 45 20.27%
u 54 24.32%
l 48 21.62%
y 75 33.78%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mutata posted:

August Chat Thread: Good games are bad. Bad games are also bad.

August Chat Thread: Grand Theft Auto V is The Best Video Game Ever Made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
August Chat Thread: Grand Theft Auto V is The Worst Video Game Ever Made

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
August Game Chat: Slightly meme friendlier than the other forum chats

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

August Existential Gaming Chat: All things are subjective. Games don't exist.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my name is august and i'm here to say games chat thread in a major way

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
August Games Chat: Buy Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

My favourite RPG developer is AuGUST hahaha

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

My favourite RPG developer is AuGUST hahaha

mine is squarejanuaryenix

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I have the next Game Chat thread ready. Shall I post it now?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

August Chat thread: when you see it you turn GO degrees and walk away

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I have made the new chat thread for August

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's a whole nother day in July................

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

On another note I finally beat Furi yesterday

It took me 2 weeks to get past the loving sniper but then the rest of it I beat in a couple sittings

Really good and fun game overall, though I have no interest in mastering it. Almost all of the bosses were cool and I'm glad I played it but trying to get S ranks or play a somehow even harder difficulty is just not for me.

gently caress that sniper though that boss was really lovely and almost made me quit playing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah what the hell.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

August Thread Sun and August Thread Moon

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I ordered a pizza today and on the special instructions told them to draw their favorite pokemon on the box and they pick pikachu
so basic

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Regy Rusty posted:

On another note I finally beat Furi yesterday

It took me 2 weeks to get past the loving sniper but then the rest of it I beat in a couple sittings

Really good and fun game overall, though I have no interest in mastering it. Almost all of the bosses were cool and I'm glad I played it but trying to get S ranks or play a somehow even harder difficulty is just not for me.

gently caress that sniper though that boss was really lovely and almost made me quit playing.

It's a really fun game, it should have been priced at maybe half of what it is right now with the soundtrack for a few bucks more and it probably would have sold much better. It's really hard to recommend such a short game at that price.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Klaus Kinski posted:

It's a really fun game, it should have been priced at maybe half of what it is right now with the soundtrack for a few bucks more and it probably would have sold much better. It's really hard to recommend such a short game at that price.

I wouldn't have picked it up if it wasn't free on PS+ so yeah that sounds about right

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Klaus Kinski posted:

I mean it's on PS+ on PS4 so it probably did ok

I wonder how much money devs make from their games being picked as one of the monthly PS+ games

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

as my thread approaches its twilight years, and because i am an extremely humble girl, i am prepared to forgive whomever changed my thread title. let's start august right

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

oddium posted:

as my thread approaches its twilight years, and because i am an extremely humble girl, i am prepared to forgive whomever changed my thread title. let's start august right

you are a good person oddium and i look to your posts as a guide to become both a better poster and op creator

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
August Chat Thread: Bad games are pretty good too

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

August Chat Thread GO

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

CJacobs posted:

August Chat Thread: Grand Theft Auto V is The Best Video Game Ever Made

CJacobs posted:

August Chat Thread: Grand Theft Auto V is The Worst Video Game Ever Made

August Chat Thread: Grand Theft Auto V is a Video Game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pandoras Tower is being speedrun right now https://player.twitch.tv/?channel=esamarathon

i keep forgetting it's on eShop i wonder if its worth $20... they need to get Last Story on there

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Pandoras Tower is being speedrun right now https://player.twitch.tv/?channel=esamarathon

i keep forgetting it's on eShop i wonder if its worth $20... they need to get Last Story on there

I'd say it is. It's not a very long game but it's a lot of fun and that sounds like a fair price to me

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I beat Furi today and almost cried when I did because I've been trying the last phase of the final boss for weeks

I went to play the first boss on Furier mode and it was actually hard as poo poo, if for no other reason than I haven't gotten to practice normal gameplay in Furi in three weeks and I got stuck

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

Ace Combat is a really great series that always kinda gets forgot about. People are often well aware how great the games but you never see them get discuss as much as you would think.

I used to always think of them as kinda generic looking flight sims, but one of my old roommates was really into them and I watched him play some and I was kinda shocked by how cinematic and fun they looked

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

August Chat thread: when you see it you turn GO degrees and walk away

Make like a pokemon and get outta here

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Looper posted:

I used to always think of them as kinda generic looking flight sims, but one of my old roommates was really into them and I watched him play some and I was kinda shocked by how cinematic and fun they looked

They are seriously animes with jets. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o29d6Pf8uEg
when this one came out in america they strip all the anime portraits from when your pilot buddies talk. Also the game had like multiple choices and routes and different endings in Japan, those got removed as well.

There is some team online during a translation though and I think they're almost done so that is pretty cool.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

Ace Combat is a really great series that always kinda gets forgot about. People are often well aware how great the games but you never see them get discuss as much as you would think.

They're amazing, but the three best games are on the ps2, a collection was never released for the ps3/ps4, and you can't get them on the ps store.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ace Combat Zero was the one where the whole idea was that it was a documentary that would change based on your actions in the missions right? That is the best one from what I remember in the ps2 era.

I might try to pick up copies of the ones for ps2 once I get my fat ps3 fixed.

e: i was really impressed with that one because I was very inconsistent with who I would kill and let live and the documentary called me out on that lol

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 31, 2016

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

Ace Combat Zero was the one where the whole idea was that it was a documentary that would change based on your actions in the missions right? That is the best one from what I remember in the ps2 era.

e: i was really impressed with that one because I was very inconsistent with who I would kill and let live and the documentary called me out on that lol

Yeah, your ace style rank changes with how many yellow targets you destroy. Zero is also my favorite, although 4 and 5 come really close

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Looks like all three are avaiable for cheap online, but I have a really good local game store that has a ton of old poo poo and probably copies of all three.

The documentary thing was really cool and I am surprised other games haven't really done that. There has been similar stuff with like narrators changing what they say and what not lately, but the neat thing about it being a documentary was that it has this excuse to be like "this is a movie about discovering *player character*" that worked seamlessly into the game despite it was FMV.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

Looks like all three are avaiable for cheap online, but I have a really good local game store that has a ton of old poo poo and probably copies of all three.

The documentary thing was really cool and I am surprised other games haven't really done that. There has been similar stuff with like narrators changing what they say and what not lately, but the neat thing about it being a documentary was that it has this excuse to be like "this is a movie about discovering *player character*" that worked seamlessly into the game despite it was FMV.

Defeating the ace squadrons and then listening to thompson's interviews of their leaders felt so good. And of course pixy's emotional breakdown feels so much more heartbreaking when you've been listening to him talk about the player (you) the whole game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I played the Pocket Card Jockey demo for like an hour and a half, that game is dangerous.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

PBS Newshour posted:

That game was so good. I really liked the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCRRH1DMpPM

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Wamdoodle posted:

That game was so good. I really liked the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCRRH1DMpPM

this is also a good demonstration of the great music in those games

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAjS24ypNA4

oh poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Star Fox Assault was made by the same people as the Ace Combat games, you'd think the game would have been better since melodrama and dogfighting are like the two things they're good at.

• Locked thread