Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah she does a good impression. Plus you give two people the same haircut/wig and makeup, it goes a long way.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was literally the same wig since they weren't on screen together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

duz posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was literally the same wig since they weren't on screen together.

They do share a brief scene together in the last episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Everything coming from the new cast and crew just makes me love this revival so much. They're all just so happy to be a part of it. :unsmith:

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Am I missing something in the first Wizards or does Simon have two dads? First he says his dad's name is the wizard Wulfrix and then he says King Tylor.

It could just be that I'm not used to kings being wizards and am having trouble rectifying them as the same person.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

nerdman42 posted:

Am I missing something in the first Wizards or does Simon have two dads? First he says his dad's name is the wizard Wulfrix and then he says King Tylor.

It could just be that I'm not used to kings being wizards and am having trouble rectifying them as the same person.

I'm pretty sure Simon's father is the king while his mentor is the wizard.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Virility spells, clearly.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rollersnake posted:

I can't wait to get off work so I can go home and finish Wizards 2. Holy poo poo, this movie.

Wizards 2 was the first ever MST3K episode I stopped watching midway. It was just such nonsensical trash that I couldn't deal with it in one sitting. The riffing was good but god drat that movie is AWFUL.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I admire their restraint towards not making choking jokes about David Carradine.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I admire their restraint towards not making choking jokes about David Carradine.

There's no way they could get away with it while maintaining the family-friendly vibe they had going. On top of that, if you open the door to David Carradine, you probably open the door to Lana Clarkson.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought I remembered Crow making one oblique reference and then Jonah telling him to cut it out.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

There's no way they could get away with it while maintaining the family-friendly vibe they had going. On top of that, if you open the door to David Carradine, you probably open the door to Lana Clarkson.

It's always been funnier when the bots had a perfect opportunity to make a crass joke and they get shushed. Like the "Good? He's the best" guy in Pod People.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I thought I remembered Crow making one oblique reference and then Jonah telling him to cut it out.

Which is, in itself, a way for them to include a few jokes just for the adults while maintaining the family-friendly vibe, and definitely a part of how they've always spaced out the riffing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I found out last night the guy who directed and wrote Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 worked for Roger Corman, which explains a lot really.

Winters Holy Hand
Mar 10, 2007
Threadkiller
Hair Elf
Live tour announced. Tickets go on sale this Friday. Two shows in most cities. One previously riffed film and one secret film.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Winters Holy Hand posted:

Live tour announced. Tickets go on sale this Friday. Two shows in most cities. One previously riffed film and one secret film.

Ooh. Tickets go on sale for my venue on May 19th. Hopefully if I can wait until morning to buy them, they won't be sold out.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
As I predicted, the show will come nowhere near me. Come on second season. Or even sell a DVD of the live show. I'll buy 'em!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's coming close to me but I'll be in Amsterdam. Hope they tape one of these.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
None of the Secret Surprise Film shows are coming anywhere near me, unfortunately, but I'm gonna try to get tickets for the Kansas City show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'll only be able to see Eegah. I wonder how many other Bostonians I can corral into sitting next to me in the cheaper seats. My wife likes an occasional MST3K, but this definitely wouldn't be for her.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Time to see how many of my partners I can drag to one MST3k show. Shame they'll only be showing Eeagh in Portland. :(

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/864169616188334080

drat

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The youtube video they put out also mentions that Joel will travel with them and do introductions. The idea of having the cast talk to a pre-recorded video of Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt is so wonderfully cornball, like something they'd do in an 80s traveling show going to high schools to convince kids not to do drugs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm pretty impressed that he responded within five minutes, though.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I'm pretty impressed that he responded within five minutes, though.

Yeah, when I was tweeting about the kickstarter preview week, he favorited a bunch of my tweets. He must either not get a lot of tweets directly at him, or he's just really diligent about staying in touch with the fans.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sweet fancy Moses, what does the $300 ticket buy you?

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

howe_sam posted:

This might be the way they're getting the cast paid since they likely didn't get paid a bunch for doing the actual episodes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Rifftrax does many of these, if you want to hear some. Sometimes in movies he's not even in.

People have been making audio recordings of Rifftrax live events synced to copies of the movie happen so I won't be shocked if the same happens here. That's strange though, I don't know why you wouldn't film stuff like that.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

howe_sam posted:

You get to be one of the silhouettes. They aren't allowed to tell you to shut up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mangler103 posted:

Yeah, when I was tweeting about the kickstarter preview week, he favorited a bunch of my tweets. He must either not get a lot of tweets directly at him, or he's just really diligent about staying in touch with the fans.

Joel seems to have really studied up on marketing and personal branding for this. He managed the kickstarter in a way that incorporated everything known about previous kickstarters to goose lulls and pump up peak donation times near the end, and has made both mystery and special inclusion of fans and backers big parts of his strategy. Even this live show has elements of that in its choice of two films with one as a mystery: it's an unbalanced choice in a way that probably makes people feel like they would rather see both instead of choose.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

business hammocks posted:

Joel seems to have really studied up on marketing and personal branding for this. He managed the kickstarter in a way that incorporated everything known about previous kickstarters to goose lulls and pump up peak donation times near the end, and has made both mystery and special inclusion of fans and backers big parts of his strategy. Even this live show has elements of that in its choice of two films with one as a mystery: it's an unbalanced choice in a way that probably makes people feel like they would rather see both instead of choose.

It's possible he has a service running it too to make sure things get favorited and responded to.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

People have been making audio recordings of Rifftrax live events synced to copies of the movie happen so I won't be shocked if the same happens here. That's strange though, I don't know why you wouldn't film stuff like that.

The logistics of filming live shows do add a ton of effort of it, particularly if you want to do it without being too intrusive to the people attending.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There are also different rights considerations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Definitely making it to the August 12 show. I never would have thought Atlanta Symphony Hall as a venue for MST3K and Eegah.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Do they usually do such big venues? I was expecting them to come to like, the Somerville Community Theater or something, I'm sort of shocked they can fill the Boch Center.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cinematic Titanic wasn't playing venues that size, but they must have some confidence they can fill those spaces. Two movies is a good hedge to make.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

This was in the Kickstarter update about the tour:

quote:

Now, I know that some of you might rather we just get started on Season 12, but the truth is, there's nothing we can do to get started on more episodes yet. We don't have an official order for Season 12 yet, though we're very hopeful that it will come – especially if we all keep watching the new episodes on Netflix. But I promise, as soon as we hear anything about the next season, I'll be sure to tell you right away.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I personally watched two episodes this weekend, and enjoyed them a lot. I'm doing my part!

By the way, which episode has Mesozoic Ranch sketch? I thought it's the Hollow Mountain one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ringu0 posted:

I personally watched two episodes this weekend, and enjoyed them a lot. I'm doing my part!

By the way, which episode has Mesozoic Ranch sketch? I thought it's the Hollow Mountain one.

The Land That TIme Forgot.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There are also different rights considerations.

That was my thought. Getting the rights to show a movie at a theater is a whole different animal from getting the rights to distribute a modified version of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Eegah has the advantage of unequivocally being in the public domain, while the mystery film may not be.