Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

i would like to know the serious reason why you should obfuscate your code though without the snark, like i thought that feature only existed to attempt to prevent other companies from ripping your stuff off easily
its hardly a must, but it has been shown (saw an ieee paper on it, probably bunch of other studies too) to act as a deterrent against poor attacks, and to disrupt, to varying extent, higher level attacks - mostly delaying them, which gives some room to detect or respond to them

still, regular rules apply - dont do your own crypto, dont write inherently obfuscated (within reason) code, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I wouldn't trust code obfuscation for anything more than an annoyance and delaying tactic. and depending on which obfuscator you use the delay may just be in how fast they can download a deobfuscator.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

I wouldn't trust code obfuscation for anything more than an annoyance and delaying tactic. and depending on which obfuscator you use the delay may just be in how fast they can download a deobfuscator.
that's what im saying, yes

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

http://www.tor.com/2017/04/05/xkcd-tor-com-joke/

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So, infosec twitter is all abuzz about mastodon. What is it and why would I sign up for it other than a stupid username land grab? Is it like that dumb facebook replacement from a while ago?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

So, infosec twitter is all abuzz about mastodon. What is it and why would I sign up for it other than a stupid username land grab? Is it like that dumb facebook replacement from a while ago?
distributed open source twitter with longer messages and additional privacy bells and whistles. the buzz right now is happening after twitter allowed up to 50 @replies in a message - tag bunch of people you want to piss off in random poo poo, and they get foreverbombed with irrelevant conversation branches

"6 min read"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cinci zoo sniper posted:

distributed open source twitter with longer messages and additional privacy bells and whistles. the buzz right now is happening after twitter allowed up to 50 @replies in a message - tag bunch of people you want to piss off in random poo poo, and they get foreverbombed with irrelevant conversation branches

"6 min read"

Due to exceptionally high traffic, registrations on this instance are closed until quality of service can be assured for existing users. Choose one of the various other public instances to sign up!

lomarf, identi.ca 2.0

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

garbage to ignore, they'll be back

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

Due to exceptionally high traffic, registrations on this instance are closed until quality of service can be assured for existing users. Choose one of the various other public instances to sign up!

lomarf, identi.ca 2.0

best/worst part is that @cinci@mastdon.com and @cinci@mastodon.whatever can exist in parallel in arbitrary amounts, so if you want to lay claim to your name you have to take a poo poo in every sandbox

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
boy i sure do love to use a social network that requires handling federation myself, and having to carefully choose which server for it won't go down

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

boy i sure do love to use a social network that requires handling federation myself, and having to carefully choose which server for it won't go down

if you aren't willing to pay $80 per month for a dedicated AWS instance then maybe you're just not ready for ~*true privacy and freedoms*~

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's also set out from the start to not allow nazis or harassment which is nice

it's still gonna fail but it's nice at least

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

e: gently caress emptyquoting in salr

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate all the Oreos posted:

it's also set out from the start to not allow nazis or harassment which is nice

no it didn't, because it allows basically anyone to federate with it and thus has minimal means for enforcing rules.

they don't want to allow nazis or harassment on their main server, but nobody can join their main server right now anyway, and who knows what the other 50 public servers will actually enforce.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bobfather posted:

Ugh. 1Password just removed built-in cloud sync from their v6 Windows client update released April 5. They're blaming Dropbox for switching to their new v2 API, but on the forums it's very apparent that they would like everyone to move to their subscription model.

They've confirmed that v4 for Windows is dead, and they will no longer sell you a v4 license through their commercial site.

WLAN syncing from v4 will not make it to v6, in order to promote their subscription model.

You can still do cloud syncing with v6, but you'll need to have Dropbox / Onedrive / Google Drive / BT Sync / whatever installed to sync the vault, which v6 can just talk to. v6 now has local vault capability.

Finally, in their zeal to remove features from the v6 app, they've made it so that if you remove all your previously-functional, but now non-functional cloud-synced-through-the-v6-app vaults, the only option to add a new vault is to log into or sign up for a 1password.com account. I assume this is just an oversight and in the next new version you'll be able to either choose to use a 1password.com account, OR sync to a local vault. But for now, make sure you add your new local sync before removing all your old, non-functional sync accounts!

Not a sec gently caress at all, but given how this thread seems to like Agilebits, this might be the start of some people changing their mind about them.
i've only ever used v4 but does v6 have wifi sync

minivanmegafun posted:

I just use iCloud, sorry about your online cloud thinger with a war criminal on the board
also does v6 use icloud or just the icloud keychain

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

fishmech posted:

So this is to Twitter what Diaspora is to Facebook?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

ye

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Carbon dioxide posted:

it's to twitter what identi.ca was to twitter, since it's literally the same idea done 9 years later.

but yes, it is also as annoying to use as diaspora is compared to facebook, because of it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

anthonypants posted:

i've only ever used v4 but does v6 have wifi sync
also does v6 use icloud or just the icloud keychain

WiFi sync is a dead feature, going forward. V4 on Windows will support it, but future versions won't.

V6 now (as of yesterday) has no built-in cloud sync (except 1Pass's cloud). All of it depends on you syncing a vault onto your computer via whatever means needed, then having V6 modify that synced file. V6 was kind of nice before, because it meant I could uninstall Dropbox from the systems I wanted to run it on. New V6 screws that all up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bobfather posted:

WiFi sync is a dead feature, going forward. V4 on Windows will support it, but future versions won't.

V6 now (as of yesterday) has no built-in cloud sync (except 1Pass's cloud). All of it depends on you syncing a vault onto your computer via whatever means needed, then having V6 modify that synced file. V6 was kind of nice before, because it meant I could uninstall Dropbox from the systems I wanted to run it on. New V6 screws that all up.

if you have to synch it yourself, what makes 1pass any more convenient than keep rear end? better mobile support?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Raluek posted:

if you have to synch it yourself, what makes 1pass any more convenient than keep rear end? better mobile support?

Better mobile support is now pretty much the main selling point.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 6, 2017

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
https://twitter.com/malwrhunterteam/status/850031671244193792

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bobfather posted:

Better mobile support is now pretty much the main selling point.

whoopty dogfuck

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
so apparently protonmail has a vpn service now so I can put all my paranoia eggs in one basket!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultramiraculous posted:

so apparently protonmail has a vpn service now so I can put all my paranoia eggs in one basket!

I'm gonna use vpn.penet.fi until the Scientologists come for me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Paul MaudDib posted:

if you aren't willing to pay $80 per month for a dedicated AWS instance then maybe you're just not ready for ~*true privacy and freedoms*~

oh and also due to its hosed up federation model anyone can start their own federation and download all your locked/blocked/whatever posts and publish them anyway

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh and also due to its hosed up federation model anyone can start their own federation and download all your locked/blocked/whatever posts and publish them anyway

Feature not bug. Won't fix.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/Q_Pang_E/status/850130174347694080

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

aggressive touhou evangelism, that's a new one

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Malwarebytes wont update on my computer, gives me an error like "Could not access the update server. Check your internet connection." Tried it on my brother's computer, same error. Friends are not having this issue. Am I hosed?

edit: the only thing ive downloaded lately have been game updates through steam, and updating my Nvidia drivers a few hours ago. Malwarebytes updated just fine this morning.

rural area internet is garbage, feel free to laugh at me

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 7, 2017

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

source your quotes

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

minivanmegafun posted:

source your quotes

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I'm gonna use vpn.penet.fi until the Scientologists come for me.

ha I had to use anon.penet.fi back in the day to post to usenet on my university slip account since they only allowed compsci majors nntp access

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

laffin at this one

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

laffo he couldn't beat the game himself and made an unlocker

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i told someone that was setting up a new bank account that they should use more secure stuff for the security questions than the crap ones the bank provided (e.g. mothers maiden name in tyool 2017) and now they're pissed off with me because the bank tried to call them and they couldn't remember any of the answers.

i tols them they should have put 'weedlord bonerhitler' as the answer so they remembered it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Raluek posted:

according to one of their tweety evangelists, it's the user interface and user experience

it's me i'm the $74 browser plugin

but in all fairness it's not 1pass' fault that dropbox changed their api so maybe buying a thing because of the way it works with someone else's thing isn't a smart thing to thing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i told someone that was setting up a new bank account that they should use more secure stuff for the security questions than the crap ones the bank provided (e.g. mothers maiden name in tyool 2017) and now they're pissed off with me because the bank tried to call them and they couldn't remember any of the answers.

i tols them they should have put 'weedlord bonerhitler' as the answer so they remembered it

put a random character string in then tell the bank "a bunch of random characters, i just mashed the keyboard"

this has worked three times so far for me :sigh:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmbo

https://twitter.com/malwrhunterteam/status/850239122950168576

read the thread, the creator of the malware replies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the bank tried to call them

"Hi, we're definitely your bank, but we need you to prove who you are. What was your first pet's name? And how about your PIN?"

• Locked thread