Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Since May looks like she plans to hang on, what's the over/under on the tories collapsing in a bitter leadership race in the upcoming year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-kT-8s3g74 also the DUP, incredible

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/SiobhanFenton/status/873130047934128128

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

i knew telesur was dog poo poo but this is next level lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/GerryAdamsSF/status/873095532603781120

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i knew telesur was dog poo poo but this is next level lol

it's ok if you don't get a joke

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/TimMacGabhann/status/873131250378305538

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

The best part of US libs finding out about the DUP just today is that all the IRA poo poo that was heaped on Corbyn is absolutely true of the DUP/UVF incestual relationship. And unlike Sinn Fein, they do caucus with the tories a lot of the time.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the gay IRA ghost truly came to bite the jam man in the rear end

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
absolute boy is such a good phrase

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010
Dumb question: any likelihood in DUP requesting and being granted the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland role as part of their coalition negotiations?

'Cos that sounds like a right shitshow especially if Stormont is still suspended?

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017
I remember the DUP for being very much against pot-pourri, which seems like a ridiculous platform but apparently works for them. I suppose it will be sticks and plug-ins for home fragrance purposes going forward.

Here's the Catholic Church in Scotland trying to pretend that they had problems before now, because some SNP people are atheists: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/12/catholics-are-again-scotlands-oppressed-minority

Be careful what you wish for I suppose.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i feel like i hallucinated approximately 35-40% of last night. was theresa may re-elected to her constituency whilst standing next to a medieval knight and a hosed up looking elmo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Juliet Whisky posted:

I remember the DUP for being very much against pot-pourri, which seems like a ridiculous platform but apparently works for them. I suppose it will be sticks and plug-ins for home fragrance purposes going forward.

pot-pourri's a bit too much like filthy Papist incense

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Vermain posted:

i feel like i hallucinated approximately 35-40% of last night. was theresa may re-elected to her constituency whilst standing next to a medieval knight and a hosed up looking elmo

May's coronation was indeed attended by Lord Buckethead.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

Vermain posted:

She was pretty close to Bondage Darth Vader a couple of times http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/09/lord-buckethead/

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'd never actually watched a U.K. election in full detail before and i thought election night special was a parody and not a documentary, but there really was like one person per major constituency dressed like a clown

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
a giant fish-finger also got about 300 votes

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/corbynsnap/status/873024583007322112

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

honestly it's the best possible result, labour is revitalized and galvanized and the cons are going to have to painstakingly drag the country through the brexit mud more-or-less by themselves and absolutely destroy their next election chances

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Balaeniceps posted:

Dumb question: any likelihood in DUP requesting and being granted the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland role as part of their coalition negotiations?

'Cos that sounds like a right shitshow especially if Stormont is still suspended?

Nah it's more likely to be tory minority government with a confidence and supply arrangement with the DUP on critical stuff

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Agnosticnixie posted:

The best part of US libs finding out about the DUP just today is that all the IRA poo poo that was heaped on Corbyn is absolutely true of the DUP/UVF incestual relationship. And unlike Sinn Fein, they do caucus with the tories a lot of the time.

If you're saying the relationship between the UVF and DUP is the equivalent to Sinn Fein and PIRA, that's just not true.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

Vermain posted:

honestly it's the best possible result, labour is revitalized and galvanized and the cons are going to have to painstakingly drag the country through the brexit mud more-or-less by themselves and absolutely destroy their next election chances

The best fun was about 5am when Umunna and Cooper were begging for Cabinet jobs whilst trying to minimise praise for Corbyn, who has achieved the best Labour result since Blair's landslide.

Next they will go to all the young people explaining how they did well and came so close but in future you can do better with this thing called triangulation.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Since May looks like she plans to hang on, what's the over/under on the tories collapsing in a bitter leadership race in the upcoming year?

150%

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Juliet Whisky posted:

The best fun was about 5am when Umunna and Cooper were begging for Cabinet jobs whilst trying to minimise praise for Corbyn, who has achieved the best Labour result since Blair's landslide.

Next they will go to all the young people explaining how they did well and came so close but in future you can do better with this thing called triangulation.

corbyn's immediate next task should be purging all the loving blairites from the party

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Bryter posted:

If you're saying the relationship between the UVF and DUP is the equivalent to Sinn Fein and PIRA, that's just not true.

Yeah, I don't know if Sinn Fein's leader would gave the same teary eulogies for a leader of PIRA that major figures in the DUP did for former leaders of Ulster Resistance.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

Bryter posted:

You're probably right, for Americans a better analogy would be the relationship between the Trump administration and the Ku Klux Klan.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Agnosticnixie posted:

Yeah, I don't know if Sinn Fein's leader would gave the same teary eulogies for a leader of PIRA that major figures in the DUP did for former leaders of Ulster Resistance.

He literally did in March.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

fake account

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Commerz posted:

fake account

:prepop:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Vermain posted:

corbyn's immediate next task should be purging all the loving blairites from the party

As a blairite who'd quite like to vote Labour but is happy enough voting lib dem, this sees a poor idea. Corbyn's going to get his reforms of the NEC through now for sure, more or less guaranteeing left of party leaders for the foreseeable. You may as well string the blairites along for a while with some table scraps. Still need a lot more votes for a majority, and it's not like there's another pool of traditionally non voting natural Corbyn supporters to tap.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Oh god, I'd forgotten that expenses prosecution is still going through. Majority of 1 could soon become no majority.

All the lols.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Bryter posted:

He literally did in March.

And Dodds was at John Bingham's funeral. So they're equal, except one is refusing to take seats while the other is caucusing with the government. The idea that the DUP has a lot of unsavory ties from the Troubles isn't exactly controversial. They definitely have stronger ties with the unionist militias than Corbyn had with IRA.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/ShutUpAndrosky/status/872993913337913344

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

tarbrush posted:

Oh god, I'd forgotten that expenses prosecution is still going through. Majority of 1 could soon become no majority.

All the lols.

oh man this would be extremely loving tasty

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Agnosticnixie posted:

And Dodds was at John Bingham's funeral. So they're equal

Well no, they're not. Adams' links to the IRA go quite a bit beyond attending a (fellow) leader's funeral.

I'm not saying Sinn Fein are somehow worse or anything, but the relationship between the respective parties was qualitatively different. SF were to a large extent the same people as the IRA, and the IRA's army council was the controlling force in the direction of the party. There were links between the DUP and loyalist paramilitaries, sure, but none so extensive. The PUP and UVF are an example of a much more comparable relationship.

Close ties to loyalist paramilitaries weren't exactly necessary when state forces like the UDR and RUC essentially served as the armed wings of the unionist parties.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Commerz posted:

fake account

wow no poo poo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/873155329642594306

https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/873158179252842497

e: https://twitter.com/Phonycian/status/873161011477479425

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

I got interviewed by the NYT once; my interviewer rehabilitated a lying-coked-up-in-bathtubs-annoying-people-at-parties George Bush Jr. to a run-your-da's-business-into-the-ground-and-put-it-on-your-CV-for-President state by golfing with him back in the 70s. So, not surprised that the capitalist class are disappointed by the want of a majority, or that the fact they have to go and read about Northern Ireland now has led to some instability in the pound.

e: typo X2

Juliet Whisky has issued a correction as of 14:27 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

come post in the trump thread about how evil the mainstream media is you'll fit right in imo