Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Dany is great because she got two armies killed, got Olenna killed, got the unsullied hosed up and had her prime mover shot down by a scallywag in four episodes lmao.

Wasn't that more Tyrion though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Tyrion isn't the queen yet.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Never listen to a man in GOT. Women are the real fuckers here, the only ones who always survive and suceed in what they do.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Nobnob posted:

Never listen to a man in GOT. Women are the real fuckers here, the only ones who always survive and suceed in what they do.

Yeah, Olenna, the sandsnakes and Yara would like to have a word with you about that. I guess Margaery also kind of failed at being a successful survivor after all.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

hitchensgoespop posted:

I swear that goons are watching this show sweatily holding their phones, desperate to leap on here as soon as they see anything they can poo poo on regardless how minute

i.e the guy a few pages back that was like "oh the landscape in the battle scene was really out of character to the general landscape portrayed so far in that specific region"

see also the multi page derail about whether the boats were the right type and how many people it would take to man them effectively

If this series is bad, its the series you deserve you spergy fucks

Edit: see also the two posts above this one

The best thing is people doing this and then coming to the thread after an episode to ask the most obvious questions.

Show: The gold's safely in KL
Goons: Here's my thesis on the realistic use of dragons in medieval warfare, chapter 1 of 24
Goons 30min later: duhh but what happened to the gold did Danny just melt it?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Elias_Maluco posted:

The real dumb thing was by the end when Jamie is riding through obvisouly very shallow water but then when he is pushed from thew horse he falls into very deep waters

editr: also, dany was dumb on the dragon, but that's kinda make sense because she has very little experience in using them in battle and she is really dumb

it's a slot canyon during flood stage, silly

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
All of those people died because Dany the genius appointed an arseclown court jester as hand and took tactical advice from him until poo poo was so bad she had to go fight and got shot down :byodood:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

She should have a crew chief to do emergency maintenance so she doesn't put herself in harm's way, IMO.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JBP posted:

All of those people died because Dany the genius appointed an arseclown court jester as hand and took tactical advice from him until poo poo was so bad she had to go fight and got shot down :byodood:

The McCain of Westeros.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Das Boo posted:

I remember reading about a Chinese tactic wherein you fire a arrow with a particular colored plume of smoke into a targeted area. The color denotes the action, the place it's aimed at denotes the destination of said action.

That mighta been cool.

That's waaaay too advanced for GoT. The armies in the probably couldn't even use musicians or flag bearers as communication.

They probably do the Orc thing of having loudest person be Sargeant.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bloom posted:

The best thing is people doing this and then coming to the thread after an episode to ask the most obvious questions.

Goons: Here's my thesis on the realistic use of dragons in medieval warfare, chapter 1 of 24

What's the correct name for Jamie+Bronn? I'm thinking either Brome or maybe Jaron? I need to know this for my fanfic I'm writing where Jamie and Bronn move into Highgarden together and

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the correct name for Jamie+Bronn? I'm thinking either Brome or maybe Jaron? I need to know this for my fanfic I'm writing where Jamie and Bronn move into Highgarden together and

Jabroni, obviously.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

My memory is lovely: where and when did Qyburn first show up and basically emerge as a genius with tons of resources? Was he in the earlier seasons? Does he have a more notable role in the books?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Oliver Reed posted:

My memory is lovely: where and when did Qyburn first show up and basically emerge as a genius with tons of resources? Was he in the earlier seasons? Does he have a more notable role in the books?

He cleans up Jaime's stump in Harrenhal.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

I never imagined dragon riding would look that goofy.

In The Princess and the Queen I'm pretty sure Targs lance each other with giant lances/ sword fight on dragons

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

RCarr posted:

Jabroni, obviously.

:perfect:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Oliver Reed posted:

In the book he starts out as the camp doctor to a particularly sadistic band of mercenaries, which makes more sense than in the show, where he sort of appears out of nowhere.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
My man Preston Jacobs believes that Qyburn is secretly an agent of Doran Martell.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was so excited when I learned Alexander Siddig was cast as Martell

This show got so bad so fast, at least we got a cool battle last episode.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

My man Preston Jacobs believes that Qyburn is secretly an agent of Doran Martell.

Have any of Preston Jacobs theories actually been proven to be true or is too early in the books?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I still don't get why they dumped him but kept the Sand Snakes. He was awesome, and I thought the snakes were universally hated.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

bloom posted:

Please tell me someone has done a calculation and determined that the amount of gold in the wagons was too much for the wheel/axle ratio and also number of horses.

Bonus points if it degenerates into an argument about dromonds vs. ponies and which one could pull more weight.

1st prize if the debate moves in to why heavier gold would make it to the gates first while bushels of wheat lagged behind.

That would make my day.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Professor Shark posted:

This show got so bad so fast, at least we got a cool battle last episode.

Me too. It should be criminal to waste Bashir like that

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

hitchensgoespop posted:

Have any of Preston Jacobs theories actually been proven to be true or is too early in the books?

I love how disappointed he is in the show. It's like sweet sweet smack in my veins.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
http://imgur.com/gallery/mFamH8e

I love the one guy on the left completely not on fire.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Me too. It should be criminal to waste Bashir like that

It's one of the most annoying parts of the post book material.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

I love how disappointed he is in the show. It's like sweet sweet smack in my veins.

It's really funny, his Night King character is basically reiterating the worst goon opinions in this thread but he seems to be doing it unironically.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

hitchensgoespop posted:

Preston only began creating his theory videos after the publishing of ADWD so short of a few preview chapters GRRM hasn't released anything that could confirm or deny Preston's theories.

The show has debunked a few of Preston's theories though, mostly his dumb insistence that Dany is a fake targ and that Jon is Ashara\Brandon's bastard. The only theory that the show has partially supported was the relationship between the children and the others where Preston predicted that the actual historical conflict was between the Children and the First Men and that the children somehow tricked the first men into joining forces, he didn't actually predict that the others were created by the children though.

Preston on his end is just saying that the show is dumb and that it takes short cuts for narrative purposes and that thus it can't be considered reliable when it comes to refuting theories about the books.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's the problem with hiring child actors. There's no telling if they're gonna become actual good actors at any point. Dany and Jon were never good though, no excuses there.

Harrington's not a standout performance or anything, but Jon's fine. He's supposed to be a tortured, wangsty, self-serious teen and it works for me.

Dany on the other hand... either Emilia Clarke is a terrible actor or the show's writers/directors are giving her terrible advice, because the character in the show is barely human. She has no affect whatsoever. A friend of mine linked some dumb Game of Thrones MBTI thing and I laughed out loud at them saying Dany was supposed to be an ENFP, the MBTI type (yeah I know lol) associated with charismatic, emotive leadership.

It feels like the only reason anyone follows her on the show is because she has dragons which enable her to give horrific, startlingly violent displays of power, but all the characters keep talking about how they believe in her because she's a good person and ???

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Roman Reigns posted:

I still don't get why they dumped him but kept the Sand Snakes. He was awesome, and I thought the snakes were universally hated.

Doran's plot is involved and nuanced, even what was shown in the show, he was playing a long game that involved cozening up to Cersei and then pulling the rug out from under her feet in order to support Dany at some point, the show runners realized this would involve actually writing some plot and keeping some focus on Doran and Trystane while also devoting screentime to the politicking in Dorne itself and to the conflict between Doran and the Sanksnakes, so they said gently caress that and instead put Dorne in open conflict with the Lannisters by getting rid of the three dornish characters that actually added ambiguity and intrigue to the plot, in the process of course they shat all over the season 5 dorne plot and on Oberyn's character.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

wizard on a water slide posted:

Dany on the other hand... either Emilia Clarke is a terrible actor or the show's writers/directors are giving her terrible advice, because the character in the show is barely human. She has no affect whatsoever. A friend of mine linked some dumb Game of Thrones MBTI thing and I laughed out loud at them saying Dany was supposed to be an ENFP, the MBTI type (yeah I know lol) associated with charismatic, emotive leadership.

IMHO, the current season feels "off" in many ways when it comes to on-screen performance from various actors. The illogical pacing that's happening doesn't help it either, but it feels like "emotionaly disconnected scene after scene" sometimes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Roman Reigns posted:

Sand Snakes remind me of Nikki and Paulo on Lost. In both cases there was perceived demand from fans (for more survivors of the crash to be fleshed out/more action girls), after a few episodes with them they realized nobody likes the characters at all and in fact find them odious, so they get killed off in ridiculously unpleasant manner.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Preston on his end is just saying that the show is dumb and that it takes short cuts for narrative purposes and that thus it can't be considered reliable when it comes to refuting theories about the books.

That's a safe bet. As he points out in his latest video, according to the show rules, the Walf is the best fighter in the land.

(Arya could never do anything but get her rear end kicked against the Walf unless the lights were off, yet Arya is evenly matched against Brienne, and Brienne beat the Hound )

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

some guy on the bus posted:

That's a safe bet. As he points out in his latest video, according to the show rules, the Walf is the best fighter in the land.

(Arya could never do anything but get her rear end kicked against the Walf unless the lights were off, yet Arya is evenly matched against Brienne, and Brienne beat the Hound )

I generally agree with Preston and think that the show took many shortcuts that can't be in any way be attributed to the books (Sansa, Littlefinger, Boltons, Stannis, etc etc) but I think it's really obtuse for him to insist that while on the show R + L = J has been confirmed in the books it's going to be a totally different twist.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am a bit weary myself that GRRM will get all pissy pants about it and change things up out of spite

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
The books are never coming out anyway, so that's beside the point.

I mean, unless Brandon Sanderson is a Preston Jacobs fan, then all bets are off.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I generally agree with Preston and think that the show took many shortcuts that can't be in any way be attributed to the books (Sansa, Littlefinger, Boltons, Stannis, etc etc) but I think it's really obtuse for him to insist that while on the show R + L = J has been confirmed in the books it's going to be a totally different twist.

He'll never be proven wrong though.

That's a nice gig he's got going. His patreon is taking in $1500 a month for these theories. He's making bank off of GRRM's laziness.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 8, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The books are coming out for sure, after GRRM dies.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Written by Preston Jacobs due to a internet petition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

wizard on a water slide posted:

Harrington's not a standout performance or anything, but Jon's fine. He's supposed to be a tortured, wangsty, self-serious teen and it works for me.

Yeah Harrington is a weird instance of a bad actor being well cast. He doesn't have much emotional range but like you said Jon's supposed to be an angstry youth burdened by the chains of command and haunted by all the poo poo he's been through, so I buy the fact that he's fairly stiff.

Clarke is just a terrible actor, I think. I've yet to see her in anything where she's put on a competent performance. Dany in the books is supposed to have an air of supernatural charisma that draws others to her, even without the dragons. Clarke though can only seem to make her oscillate between haughty and whiny. Like in the beach scene this episode where I think Dany was supposed to sound all angry and take-charge as she kicked Tyrion's strategy to the curb, but instead it just sounded like she was legit going to break down into tears. Her attempts at acting amazed during the cave scene were godawful too, but I chalk that up more to the directors trying to ham everything in that scene up to try and create some kind of emotional through-line between two very stiff performances.

• Locked thread